Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Browned and braised "country style" pork ribs

We've been going light on beef and pork for a while and I have not been
cooking much, so I wanted meeeeeeeat. My favorite has to be these ribs,
deeply browned, then braised in a splash of water with rosemary and coarse
brown pepper until they fall apart. It is fatty meat, but it is one of the
best examples of how good meat is when it is cooked with bone and fat.

It's great as is, or with a drizzle of honey barbecue sauce on a sandwich. I
refrigerate it overnight and remove the creamy white fat from the top,
remove the meat from the bones and solid fat, and freeze the gelled broth
for use in stirfries and stews. Good stuff for $2 a pound, often a buck
fifty on sale. Great with noodles and mushrooms and other vegetables, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> We've been going light on beef and pork for a while and I have not been
> cooking much, so I wanted meeeeeeeat. My favorite has to be these ribs,
> deeply browned, then braised in a splash of water with rosemary and coarse
> brown pepper until they fall apart. It is fatty meat, but it is one of the
> best examples of how good meat is when it is cooked with bone and fat.
>
> It's great as is, or with a drizzle of honey barbecue sauce on a sandwich.
> I refrigerate it overnight and remove the creamy white fat from the top,
> remove the meat from the bones and solid fat, and freeze the gelled broth
> for use in stirfries and stews. Good stuff for $2 a pound, often a buck
> fifty on sale. Great with noodles and mushrooms and other vegetables, too.

Sounds good. I did some of those "ribs" on the grill last weekend, with BBQ
sauce. They were braised a little in the oven prior to grilling them. I
cooked the whole package of several pounds and froze some of the ungrilled
pre-cooked pork to use later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> We've been going light on beef and pork for a while and I have not been
> cooking much, so I wanted meeeeeeeat. My favorite has to be these ribs,
> deeply browned, then braised in a splash of water with rosemary and coarse
> brown pepper until they fall apart. It is fatty meat, but it is one of the
> best examples of how good meat is when it is cooked with bone and fat.
>
> It's great as is, or with a drizzle of honey barbecue sauce on a sandwich.
> I refrigerate it overnight and remove the creamy white fat from the top,
> remove the meat from the bones and solid fat, and freeze the gelled broth
> for use in stirfries and stews. Good stuff for $2 a pound, often a buck
> fifty on sale. Great with noodles and mushrooms and other vegetables, too.

These were on sale here for $1.37 a pound (I think) and we bought a few
packages. Sometimes I just dump the meat in a Corningware casserole, put in
a few smashed cloves of garlic and a whole onion cut in half... and a little
BBQ sauce. Bake at 300 for a couple of hours until tender, remove the meat
and onion, skim off the fat and thicken the sauce with a bit of cornstarch
and maybe more BBQ sauce if needed.

Good, easy meal.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote
> Sounds good. I did some of those "ribs" on the grill last weekend, with
> BBQ sauce. They were braised a little in the oven prior to grilling them.
> I cooked the whole package of several pounds and froze some of the
> ungrilled pre-cooked pork to use later.

Grilling is the best. They are really Boston Butt sliced, aren't they?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote
>> Sounds good. I did some of those "ribs" on the grill last weekend, with
>> BBQ sauce. They were braised a little in the oven prior to grilling them.
>> I cooked the whole package of several pounds and froze some of the
>> ungrilled pre-cooked pork to use later.

> Grilling is the best. They are really Boston Butt sliced, aren't they?

Yes. At least in my area. I still love them properly prepared.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote

> These were on sale here for $1.37 a pound (I think) and we bought a few
> packages. Sometimes I just dump the meat in a Corningware casserole, put
> in a few smashed cloves of garlic and a whole onion cut in half... and a
> little BBQ sauce. Bake at 300 for a couple of hours until tender, remove
> the meat and onion, skim off the fat and thicken the sauce with a bit of
> cornstarch and maybe more BBQ sauce if needed.

I have to have them browned first. I think it really makes the flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "George Leppla" > wrote
>>
>> These were on sale here for $1.37 a pound (I think) and we bought a few
>> packages. Sometimes I just dump the meat in a Corningware casserole, put
>> in a few smashed cloves of garlic and a whole onion cut in half... and a
>> little BBQ sauce. Bake at 300 for a couple of hours until tender, remove
>> the meat and onion, skim off the fat and thicken the sauce with a bit of
>> cornstarch and maybe more BBQ sauce if needed.
>>

> I have to have them browned first. I think it really makes the flavor.

I'll give that a try next time.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheryl" > wrote
>> Sounds good. I did some of those "ribs" on the grill last weekend, with
>> BBQ sauce. They were braised a little in the oven prior to grilling them.
>> I cooked the whole package of several pounds and froze some of the
>> ungrilled pre-cooked pork to use later.

> Grilling is the best. They are really Boston Butt sliced, aren't they?

The package I bought clearly showed the shape of the meat before they sliced
them into "ribs". They were boneless. I'm not sure what cut of the pork
they are, but they sure are good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 1, 4:42*pm, Bob Muncie > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > "Cheryl" > wrote
> >> Sounds good. I did some of those "ribs" on the grill last weekend, with
> >> BBQ sauce. They were braised a little in the oven prior to grilling them.
> >> I cooked the whole package of several pounds and froze some of the
> >> ungrilled pre-cooked pork to use later.

> > Grilling is the best. They are really Boston Butt sliced, aren't they?

> Yes. At least in my area. I still love them properly prepared.

Depends on your market. Here the packages are sometimes marked
"loin," sometimes marked "shoulder" and the "shoulder" can be boneless
or with bones. In any case they are indeed very well suited for
browning and braising. They'll stand up to the widest variety of
simmering sauces, from simple cacciatore-type to spicy Indian to
Mexican moles. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 6:36*pm, "George Leppla" > wrote:

> *Sometimes I just dump the meat in a
> Corningware casserole

Corningware or Corning Ware? There's a difference. I love my Corning
Ware. I just bought a new (used) china cabinet to house it.

> George L

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote:

>Depends on your market. Here the packages are sometimes marked
>"loin,"

But loin is always lean, isn't it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

>water with rosemary and coarse brown pepper until they fall apart.

Say more about that. I've never heard of it.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>>water with rosemary and coarse brown pepper until they fall apart.

> Say more about that. I've never heard of it.

It's not anything special, I just don't add much water (my experience is
that a lot of moisture cooks out of the meat, and adding less water then
cooking on a very low heat somehow results in more succulent meat) and crush
dried rosemary, a good tablespoon of it, after I put the water in. Also
coarsely ground pepper, something I bought at the Fresh Market the other
week. It's very flavorful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 2, 10:25*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote:
>
> >Depends on your market. *Here the packages are sometimes marked
> >"loin,"

> But loin is always lean, isn't it?

Leaner than shoulder or butt. So if the package says "country style
ribs" but also says "loin" I give it a pass. I like the more
flavorful, fattier cut. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Aug 1, 6:36 pm, "George Leppla" > wrote:

> Sometimes I just dump the meat in a
> Corningware casserole

>>Corningware or Corning Ware? There's a difference. I love my Corning

Ware. I just bought a new (used) china cabinet to house it.<<

Really? I didn't know that.

I see it as CorningWare on their website
http://www.corningware.com/default.asp and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CorningWare

I don't know of any other brand called "Corning Ware" but I'm open to learn
new things.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "cybercat" > wrote:
> >
> >>water with rosemary and coarse brown pepper until they fall apart.

> > Say more about that. I've never heard of it.
> >

> It's not anything special, I just don't add much water (my experience is
> that a lot of moisture cooks out of the meat, and adding less water then
> cooking on a very low heat somehow results in more succulent meat) and crush
> dried rosemary, a good tablespoon of it, after I put the water in. Also
> coarsely ground pepper, something I bought at the Fresh Market the other
> week. It's very flavorful.

Er-r-rm, I was curious about the coarse brown pepper. Country ribs I've
heard of; brown pepper I have not. :-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
> Er-r-rm, I was curious about the coarse brown pepper. Country ribs I've
> heard of; brown pepper I have not. :-)

haha! That was supposed to be black pepper. Sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Er-r-rm, I was curious about the coarse brown pepper. Country ribs I've
> heard of; brown pepper I have not. :-)

Er-r-rm, don't eat any, came out of a coarse asshole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 6:36*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote
>
> > Sounds good. I did some of those "ribs" on the grill last weekend, with
> > BBQ sauce. They were braised a little in the oven prior to grilling them.
> > I cooked the whole package of several pounds and froze some of the
> > ungrilled pre-cooked pork to use later.

> Grilling is the best. They are really Boston Butt sliced, aren't they?

Usually. I think it must vary though. At the Kroger I go to, the
"country ribs" can look very different from one day to the next.
Sometimes they are about an inch thick with a small bone running
through the middle like they were sliced from a Boston Butt, other
times they're these big fatty boneless things that barely have any
shape at all and sometimes they have "country ribs" that are these
thin, lean, flat boneless things that look almost like veal. They're
all great after a nice slow grilling though. So is a Boston Butt, for
that matter. I love slicing the meat thin and having it on sandwiches
with either barbecue sauce or a really versatile mustard sauce I found
online:

One half cup regular old prepared yellow mustard
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
One quarter cup+1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
One teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
One quarter teaspoon black pepper
Cayenne pepper to taste

Put everything in an airtight container and shake the hell out of it.
It's good on anything and keeps forever in the refrigerator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
> > Er-r-rm, I was curious about the coarse brown pepper. Country ribs I've
> > heard of; brown pepper I have not. :-)

> haha! That was supposed to be black pepper. Sorry.

Thanks for the clarification/correction.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 01:26:14 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> Er-r-rm, I was curious about the coarse brown pepper. Country ribs I've
>> heard of; brown pepper I have not. :-)
>>

> Er-r-rm, don't eat any, came out of a coarse asshole.

finally, a subject you actually know something about.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 01:26:14 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>>
>>> Er-r-rm, I was curious about the coarse brown pepper. Country ribs I've
>>> heard of; brown pepper I have not. :-)
>>>

>> Er-r-rm, don't eat any, came out of a coarse asshole.

> finally, a subject you actually know something about.

I hurt Sheldon's feewings by telling him in the group not to send me
disgusting emails. I highly recommend this, he has not addressed me directly
in the group or otherwise for months.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> Er-r-rm, don't eat any, came out of a coarse asshole.

>> finally, a subject you actually know something about.
>>

> I hurt Sheldon's feewings by telling him in the group not to send me
> disgusting emails. I highly recommend this, he has not addressed me directly
> in the group or otherwise for months.

Maybe Verizon would like to know about his antics? Since I KF'd him long
ago, he no longer bothers me. But if he's sending emails now, you might
want to consider that.

Bob