Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried chipotles - hel-l-lp

How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
how do I prepare it?

I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
before chopping?

Chop with a knife or small chopper device?

I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.

Thanks for help.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

depends on what you are making I suppose. Probably reconstitiute in a
little hot stock then chop with a knife

Steve

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
> how do I prepare it?
>
> I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
> before chopping?
>
> Chop with a knife or small chopper device?
>
> I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.
>
> Thanks for help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
> how do I prepare it?
>
> I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
> before chopping?
>
> Chop with a knife or small chopper device?
>
> I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.
>
> Thanks for help.

Reconstituted in hot water and then run through a food mill works nicely
if you want seed and skin free pepper pulp paste. Certainly don't
reconstitute if you want to grind them, and in that case be sure to use
a dedicated "coffee" grinder for peppers (easy since they're cheap).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
> how do I prepare it?
>
> I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
> before chopping?
>
> Chop with a knife or small chopper device?
>
> I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

In Mexico/Mexican cooking most dried chilies split to remove the stem &
seeds then they are reconstituted in boiling hot water for a period of time,
Once reconstituted they are made into a "sauce or paste" using the water &
the chilies by putting them into a blender. No decent Mexican kitchen is
complete without an Osterizer Blender. Careful though - hot water &
blenders are an explosive combination.

Hope this helps.

BTW - dried chilies & the method above = Enchilada sauce.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote:

> How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
> how do I prepare it?
>
> I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
> before chopping?
>
> Chop with a knife or small chopper device?
>
> I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.
>
> Thanks for help.

Depends how you will use chipotles/smoked jalopenos... be careful... they
can be extremely hot, least those I got from Penzys are. They add a
particular smokey flavor but also add fairly intense heat so don't just toss
one into a small pot of chili. For my taste one medium sized pepper is
plenty for a six quart pot of chili... I split it to remove the seeds but I
leave it whole so I can taste and pull it out if it gets too hot, and I
usually add half the pepper to start. The powdered is hotter as it contains
the seeds and membranes and you can't remove any so be extra cautious, you
can and should remove the seeds from whole chipotles. Canned chipotles is
an entirely different product, not nearly so hot, in fact some are not hot
at all, it's made with a much milder pepper, really just adds smokiness and
the flavor of the adobo sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"brooklyn1" > wrote:

> can and should remove the seeds from whole chipotles. Canned chipotles is
> an entirely different product, not nearly so hot, in fact some are not hot
> at all, it's made with a much milder pepper, really just adds smokiness and
> the flavor of the adobo sauce.

Thanks, Sheldon. I've never run across a mild one canned in adobo sauce.
These are going into Cherry Chipotle relish.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Y > wrote:

> depends on what you are making I suppose. Probably reconstitiute in a
> little hot stock then chop with a knife
>
> Steve
>
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
> > how do I prepare it?
> >
> > I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
> > before chopping?
> >
> > Chop with a knife or small chopper device?
> >
> > I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.
> >
> > Thanks for help.

Thanks. They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Do you have a recipe ? Might still be able to get some cherries.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Thanks. They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.

At <http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/96oct/salsa/salsa.htm>, there is a
description of various salsa-making methods employed by Rick Bayless.
One of the recipes is for tomato-chipotle salsa made with dried
chipotles. The stems are snapped and the chipotles are heated on each
side for a few seconds on a dry griddle over medium heat, then pressed
with a metal spatula until they crackle and you can just smell them.
Then they are trasferred to a bowl, covered with hot water and soaked
for twenty minutes and stirred often. Then they are drained and pulsed
in a food processor with the other ingredients.

Zarela Martínez, in her recipe for salsa de barbacoa con chile colorado
(in _Food from My Heart_), just covers the chipotles with boiling water
and lets them soak until softened, about 10 minutes.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Y > wrote:

> Do you have a recipe ? Might still be able to get some cherries.
>
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> > Thanks. They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.

I have several recipes.

This one is the easiest:

Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe By: Barb Schaller 6-05

Yield: ~1 cup

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 small onion finely minced (maybe 1/4 cup)
1 garlic clove finely minced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce finely chopped
1 cup M.A. Gedney Cherry Preserves <cough>
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in it for
a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce
heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool before serving with roast
meat or with a sandwich. Makes about one cup. Refrigerate leftovers.
It packs a sneaky bite.

And this is the one I reverse-engineered so it would be eligible for
competition. It won first place.

Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe By: Barb Schaller - August, 2006

Yield: 6-8 half pint jars

64 ounces frozen sweet cherries
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (La Costeña 7 oz)
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced

Slightly thaw the cherries then slice them (thickest slice) in food
processor.

Drain, reserving juice. Chop the canned chipotles (with sauce) in food
processor.

Combine all in a heavy kettle, bring to boil, then reduce heat and
simmer for about 30-40 minutes to thicken.

Pour into 6-8 prepared half pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath
for 15 minutes.

Notes: First Place, Minnesota State Fair, 2006.Suggestions: Start
with only half the amount of chipotles. I don't know if they vary in
heat from can to can but when I made this after the Fair, half a can was
quite sufficient.

Re the reserved cherry juice: Make some jelly. And if I'd had sour
cherries, I would have used those instead of the sweet cherries.
This rocks with grilled pork or chicken.

Barb Schaller
September 15, 2006

If you liquefy this and maybe add some more vinegar, it's a good mop for
grilled meat, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
<snip easiest recipe>

> Cherry Chipotle Relish
>
> Recipe By: Barb Schaller - August, 2006
>
> Yield: 6-8 half pint jars
>
> 64 ounces frozen sweet cherries

Barb, I'm guessing that fresh bings could be used???

<snip remainder of recipe>

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Y > wrote:
>
>> Do you have a recipe ? Might still be able to get some cherries.
>>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.
>>>

> I have several recipes.
>
> This one is the easiest:
>

> Cherry Chipotle Relish
>
> Recipe By: Barb Schaller 6-05
>
> Yield: ~1 cup
>
> 2 teaspoons olive oil
> 1/2 small onion finely minced (maybe 1/4 cup)
> 1 garlic clove finely minced
> 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce finely chopped
> 1 cup M.A. Gedney Cherry Preserves <cough>
> 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
> 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
>
> Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in it for
> a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce
> heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool before serving with roast
> meat or with a sandwich. Makes about one cup. Refrigerate leftovers.
> It packs a sneaky bite.
>
> And this is the one I reverse-engineered so it would be eligible for
> competition. It won first place.
>

> Cherry Chipotle Relish
>
> Recipe By: Barb Schaller - August, 2006
>
> Yield: 6-8 half pint jars
>
> 64 ounces frozen sweet cherries
> 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (La Costeña 7 oz)
> 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
> 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
> 2 cups sugar
> 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
> 3 cloves garlic, minced
>
> Slightly thaw the cherries then slice them (thickest slice) in food
> processor.
>
> Drain, reserving juice. Chop the canned chipotles (with sauce) in food
> processor.
>
> Combine all in a heavy kettle, bring to boil, then reduce heat and
> simmer for about 30-40 minutes to thicken.
>
> Pour into 6-8 prepared half pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath
> for 15 minutes.
>
> Notes: First Place, Minnesota State Fair, 2006.Suggestions: Start
> with only half the amount of chipotles. I don't know if they vary in
> heat from can to can but when I made this after the Fair, half a can was
> quite sufficient.
>
> Re the reserved cherry juice: Make some jelly. And if I'd had sour
> cherries, I would have used those instead of the sweet cherries.
> This rocks with grilled pork or chicken.
>
> Barb Schaller
> September 15, 2006
>
> If you liquefy this and maybe add some more vinegar, it's a good mop for
> grilled meat, too.

Hmmm. I seem to be missing an essential ingredient--and it seems
like heresy to sub some other brand!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Any dried chilis (smoked or not) can be de-stemmed, rinsed
to remove the seeds, then put in a blender with a small
amount of water to form a sort of slurry. Optionally,
this can then be seived but I never do.

IMO they grind less easily after long soaking.

I'm not sure if an enchilada sauce made entirely from
chipotles would be unbearably hot or not, but there is
some chance it would be.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Steve Y > wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have a recipe ? Might still be able to get some cherries.
> >>
> >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snips in the recipe)
> > Cherry Chipotle Relish
> >
> > Recipe By: Barb Schaller 6-05

> > 1 cup M.A. Gedney Cherry Preserves <cough>

> > Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in it for
> > a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce
> > heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool before serving with roast
> > meat or with a sandwich. Makes about one cup. Refrigerate leftovers.
> > It packs a sneaky bite.

(snip)
> Hmmm. I seem to be missing an essential ingredient--and it seems
> like heresy to sub some other brand!

:-) It's available online from mybrandsinc.com, I believe.
I'm not wild about what I made last night (the second recipe) ‹
something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
TammyM > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> <snip easiest recipe>
>
> > Cherry Chipotle Relish
> >
> > Recipe By: Barb Schaller - August, 2006
> >
> > Yield: 6-8 half pint jars
> >
> > 64 ounces frozen sweet cherries

> Barb, I'm guessing that fresh bings could be used???
>
> <snip remainder of recipe>
>
> TammyM

I think so, too. I'm too freakin' lazy to pit 2 quarts of them, though.
I've no cherry pitter.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> :-) It's available online from mybrandsinc.com, I believe.
> I'm not wild about what I made last night (the second recipe) ‹
> something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
> salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
> be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.

Is there a way to continue tweaking it? Or is it beyond that point and fini?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (snips in the recipe)
>>> Cherry Chipotle Relish
>>>
>>> Recipe By: Barb Schaller 6-05

>>> 1 cup M.A. Gedney Cherry Preserves <cough>

>>> Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in it for
>>> a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce
>>> heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool before serving with roast
>>> meat or with a sandwich. Makes about one cup. Refrigerate leftovers.
>>> It packs a sneaky bite.

> (snip)
>> Hmmm. I seem to be missing an essential ingredient--and it seems
>> like heresy to sub some other brand!

> :-) It's available online from mybrandsinc.com, I believe.
> I'm not wild about what I made last night (the second recipe) ‹
> something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
> salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
> be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.

Sorry. Is the product (Gedney's, I assume) to your liking?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (snips in the recipe)
> > > Cherry Chipotle Relish
> > >
> > > Recipe By: Barb Schaller 6-05

> > > 1 cup M.A. Gedney Cherry Preserves <cough>

> > > Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in it for
> > > a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce
> > > heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool before serving with roast
> > > meat or with a sandwich. Makes about one cup. Refrigerate leftovers.
> > > It packs a sneaky bite.

> (snip)
> > Hmmm. I seem to be missing an essential ingredient--and it seems
> > like heresy to sub some other brand!

> :-) It's available online from mybrandsinc.com, I believe.
> I'm not wild about what I made last night (the second recipe) ‹
> something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
> salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
> be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.

Maybe a smidge of vinegar or lemon?
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Jean B." > wrote:
> >
> >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > :-) It's available online from mybrandsinc.com, I believe.
> > I'm not wild about what I made last night (the second recipe) Ð
> > something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
> > salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
> > be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.
> >

> Sorry. Is the product (Gedney's, I assume) to your liking?

They make it at least as good as what won a couple blue ribbons for it.
You'll find plenty of actual cherry pieces in it. It is very good.
Very good.

I'm in the middle of turning my loser chipotle relish into some very
fine barbecue sauce.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
> > salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
> > be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.
> >

> Is there a way to continue tweaking it? Or is it beyond that point and fini?

Screw it! LOL! It's now become barbecue sauce. I'll report later;
it will go on tonight's grilled pork chops.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope said...

> Any dried chilis (smoked or not) can be de-stemmed, rinsed
> to remove the seeds, then put in a blender with a small
> amount of water to form a sort of slurry. Optionally,
> this can then be seived but I never do.
>
> IMO they grind less easily after long soaking.
>
> I'm not sure if an enchilada sauce made entirely from
> chipotles would be unbearably hot or not, but there is
> some chance it would be.
>
> Steve

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chipotl...in/Detail.aspx

Just about the best on eath pork tenderloin roasts!!!

Imho,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
on Aug Mon 2009
pm

> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch
>> > of salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would
>> > like it to be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it
>> > right.
>> >

>> Is there a way to continue tweaking it? Or is it beyond that point
>> and fini?

> Screw it! LOL! It's now become barbecue sauce. I'll report
> later;
> it will go on tonight's grilled pork chops.

nutmeg?

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > > :-) It's available online from mybrandsinc.com, I believe.
> > > I'm not wild about what I made last night (the second recipe) Ð
> > > something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
> > > salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
> > > be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.
> > >

> > Sorry. Is the product (Gedney's, I assume) to your liking?

> They make it at least as good as what won a couple blue ribbons for it.
> You'll find plenty of actual cherry pieces in it. It is very good.
> Very good.
>
> I'm in the middle of turning my loser chipotle relish into some very
> fine barbecue sauce.

Barb', have you ever made jam from wild ripe Prickly Pear fruits?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> :-) It's available online from mybrandsinc.com, I believe.
>>> I'm not wild about what I made last night (the second recipe) Ð
>>> something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
>>> salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
>>> be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.
>>>

>> Sorry. Is the product (Gedney's, I assume) to your liking?

> They make it at least as good as what won a couple blue ribbons for it.
> You'll find plenty of actual cherry pieces in it. It is very good.
> Very good.
>
> I'm in the middle of turning my loser chipotle relish into some very
> fine barbecue sauce.

Thanks for the info. And I'm sorry you produced a loser.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,

> > I'm in the middle of turning my loser chipotle relish into some very
> > fine barbecue sauce.
> >

> Thanks for the info. And I'm sorry you produced a loser.

I'll enter it in the barbecue sauce lot. A loser relish, yes, and maybe
a loset bbq sauce, but time will tell. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Updated 8-3-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > > In article >,

> > > I'm in the middle of turning my loser chipotle relish into some very
> > > fine barbecue sauce.
> > >

> > Thanks for the info. And I'm sorry you produced a loser.

> I'll enter it in the barbecue sauce lot. A loser relish, yes, and maybe
> a loset bbq sauce, but time will tell. :-)

So when is this year's Great Minnesota Get-Together? We anxiously await
the results of this year's ribbon haul.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> So when is this year's Great Minnesota Get-Together? We anxiously await
> the results of this year's ribbon haul.
>
> Cindy

August 27-September 7, 2009. The 12 Best Days of Summer.
There's a brick in the plaza, placed by a former rfc'er, that is
inscribed, "State Fair - the last dance of summer." It is, it is.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 22:12:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article
> >
> ,
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
>> So when is this year's Great Minnesota Get-Together? We anxiously await
>> the results of this year's ribbon haul.
>>
>> Cindy

> August 27-September 7, 2009. The 12 Best Days of Summer.
> There's a brick in the plaza, placed by a former rfc'er, that is
> inscribed, "State Fair - the last dance of summer." It is, it is.

the poor saps won't know what hit 'em. oh, wait - maybe by this time they
know.

'here comes that damned schaller woman again.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 22:12:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >
> > ,
> > Cindy Fuller > wrote:
> >
> >> So when is this year's Great Minnesota Get-Together? We anxiously await
> >> the results of this year's ribbon haul.
> >>
> >> Cindy

> > August 27-September 7, 2009. The 12 Best Days of Summer.
> > There's a brick in the plaza, placed by a former rfc'er, that is
> > inscribed, "State Fair - the last dance of summer." It is, it is.

> the poor saps won't know what hit 'em. oh, wait - maybe by this time they
> know.
>
> 'here comes that damned schaller woman again.'
>
> your pal,
> blake

I'm waiting for someone (besides my sister-in-law) to ask me why I do so
many media spots during the Fair's run. SIL's question was, "Why do
they ask YOU to do it?" Inflection is missing. And I told her the
reason: the Fair's PR department has me on their list of long-time
competitors and winners to contact when a newspaper, radio, or tv
producer is looking for someone to talk to about competing at the Fair,
canning in particular. So someone calls and says they want to talk to
somebody who's been winning for a long time and she says, "Call Barb
Schaller. You'll love her." And they do and they do. As I told my
SIL, I'm on that list because I clean up nice and I show well. I don't
embarrass the Fair and I can speak coherently and with humor. Like I
say, I've got "famous" covered; I'm still waiting for "rich and."
<grin>
I'm nearly done with my entries. One more jam as soon as I can get the
stuff for it. Maybe a pepper relish, probably not. Maybe crab apple
jelly,maybe not. I have more than 20 things (the maximum number of
entries allowed) prepared and will have to make some decisions about
what I will and will not enter.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:

>> 'here comes that damned schaller woman again.'
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I'm waiting for someone (besides my sister-in-law) to ask me why I do so
> many media spots during the Fair's run. SIL's question was, "Why do
> they ask YOU to do it?" Inflection is missing. And I told her the
> reason: the Fair's PR department has me on their list of long-time
> competitors and winners to contact when a newspaper, radio, or tv
> producer is looking for someone to talk to about competing at the Fair,
> canning in particular. So someone calls and says they want to talk to
> somebody who's been winning for a long time and she says, "Call Barb
> Schaller. You'll love her." And they do and they do. As I told my
> SIL, I'm on that list because I clean up nice and I show well. I don't
> embarrass the Fair and I can speak coherently and with humor. Like I
> say, I've got "famous" covered; I'm still waiting for "rich and."
> <grin>

<snip>

Having had the pleasure of watching Barb (figuratively) charm the pants
offa Andrew Zimmern (Zimmerman? The Bizarre Foods guy on the Travel
network) AND having taken the photograph of the pair of them, him
holding a jar of her jammies, I can credibly testify that she is indeed
a good spokeswoman for the fair. Andrew interviewed Barb for a radio
spot - this was a couple of years ago, I think. The woman is GOOD. If
her silly SIL bothered to watch one of her interviews, she'd not have to
ask such a goofy question!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 22:45:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 22:12:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> >
>>> ,

>>> August 27-September 7, 2009. The 12 Best Days of Summer.
>>> There's a brick in the plaza, placed by a former rfc'er, that is
>>> inscribed, "State Fair - the last dance of summer." It is, it is.

>> the poor saps won't know what hit 'em. oh, wait - maybe by this time they
>> know.
>>
>> 'here comes that damned schaller woman again.'
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I'm waiting for someone (besides my sister-in-law) to ask me why I do so
> many media spots during the Fair's run. SIL's question was, "Why do
> they ask YOU to do it?" Inflection is missing. And I told her the
> reason: the Fair's PR department has me on their list of long-time
> competitors and winners to contact when a newspaper, radio, or tv
> producer is looking for someone to talk to about competing at the Fair,
> canning in particular. So someone calls and says they want to talk to
> somebody who's been winning for a long time and she says, "Call Barb
> Schaller. You'll love her." And they do and they do. As I told my
> SIL, I'm on that list because I clean up nice and I show well. I don't
> embarrass the Fair and I can speak coherently and with humor. Like I
> say, I've got "famous" covered; I'm still waiting for "rich and."
> <grin>
> I'm nearly done with my entries. One more jam as soon as I can get the
> stuff for it. Maybe a pepper relish, probably not. Maybe crab apple
> jelly,maybe not. I have more than 20 things (the maximum number of
> entries allowed) prepared and will have to make some decisions about
> what I will and will not enter.

knock 'em dead, toots.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> AND having taken the photograph of the pair of them, him
> holding a jar of her jammies,

I should have known that Barb keeps her pajamas in a canning jar.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote:

> Having had the pleasure of watching Barb (figuratively) charm the pants
> offa Andrew Zimmern (Zimmerman? The Bizarre Foods guy on the Travel
> network) AND having taken the photograph of the pair of them, him
> holding a jar of her jammies, I can credibly testify that she is indeed
> a good spokeswoman for the fair. Andrew interviewed Barb for a radio
> spot - this was a couple of years ago, I think. The woman is GOOD.

You were lucky to have met The Real Barb, then. I've never met her.
:-( I only got to meet The Evil Impostor. Actully, considering that
you are the evil Princess Tam Tam, you might just be providing a screen
for said Impostor...

Spitzbubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I'm nearly done with my entries. One more jam as soon as I can get the
> stuff for it. Maybe a pepper relish, probably not. Maybe crab apple
> jelly,maybe not. I have more than 20 things (the maximum number of
> entries allowed) prepared and will have to make some decisions about
> what I will and will not enter.

Something tells me yet another fiasco is in the making (and I do not
mean an old Chianti bottle).

Bubba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> > I'm nearly done with my entries. One more jam as soon as I can get the
> > stuff for it. Maybe a pepper relish, probably not. Maybe crab apple
> > jelly,maybe not. I have more than 20 things (the maximum number of
> > entries allowed) prepared and will have to make some decisions about
> > what I will and will not enter.

> knock 'em dead, toots.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Thanks, dearie. <grin> I have a blast! Tomorrow I'm going to show
Beck's friend how to make jam. It'll get me out of the house while the
electrician and the plumber are here.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
TammyM > wrote:

> Having had the pleasure of watching Barb (figuratively) charm the pants
> offa Andrew Zimmern (Zimmerman? The Bizarre Foods guy on the Travel
> network) AND having taken the photograph of the pair of them, him
> holding a jar of her jammies, I can credibly testify that she is indeed
> a good spokeswoman for the fair. Andrew interviewed Barb for a radio
> spot - this was a couple of years ago, I think. The woman is GOOD. If
> her silly SIL bothered to watch one of her interviews, she'd not have to
> ask such a goofy question!
>
> TammyM

<grin> Thanks. I have more fun than your average bear, I think. Did
you look at my canning blog on my website? I had an interesting call
from ABC News in NY. I'm still trying to figure out what and when
they're gong to do with it. (It's Zimmern.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> TammyM wrote:
> > AND having taken the photograph of the pair of them, him
> > holding a jar of her jammies,

> I should have known that Barb keeps her pajamas in a canning jar.
>
> Serene

Pajamas? What are those? "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Could be, Sweetums, could be. I have until a week from Wednesday to
> decide what will go and what will stay home.

There is only one thing to decide - just one! It is the thing that
makes a difference between a triumph and a dismal failure.

Bubba