Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried chipotles - hel-l-lp

How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
how do I prepare it?

I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
before chopping?

Chop with a knife or small chopper device?

I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.

Thanks for help.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out

Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
how do I prepare it?

I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
before chopping?

Chop with a knife or small chopper device?

I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.

Thanks for help.

Reconstituted in hot water and then run through a food mill works nicely
if you want seed and skin free pepper pulp paste. Certainly don't
reconstitute if you want to grind them, and in that case be sure to use
a dedicated "coffee" grinder for peppers (easy since they're cheap).
Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
how do I prepare it?

I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
before chopping?

Chop with a knife or small chopper device?

I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.

Thanks for help.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

In Mexico/Mexican cooking most dried chilies split to remove the stem &
seeds then they are reconstituted in boiling hot water for a period of time,
Once reconstituted they are made into a "sauce or paste" using the water &
the chilies by putting them into a blender. No decent Mexican kitchen is
complete without an Osterizer Blender. Careful though - hot water &
blenders are an explosive combination.

Hope this helps.

BTW - dried chilies & the method above = Enchilada sauce.

Dimitri

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:

How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
how do I prepare it?

I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
before chopping?

Chop with a knife or small chopper device?

I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.

Thanks for help.

Depends how you will use chipotles/smoked jalopenos... be careful... they
can be extremely hot, least those I got from Penzys are. They add a
particular smokey flavor but also add fairly intense heat so don't just toss
one into a small pot of chili. For my taste one medium sized pepper is
plenty for a six quart pot of chili... I split it to remove the seeds but I
leave it whole so I can taste and pull it out if it gets too hot, and I
usually add half the pepper to start. The powdered is hotter as it contains
the seeds and membranes and you can't remove any so be extra cautious, you
can and should remove the seeds from whole chipotles. Canned chipotles is
an entirely different product, not nearly so hot, in fact some are not hot
at all, it's made with a much milder pepper, really just adds smokiness and
the flavor of the adobo sauce.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

can and should remove the seeds from whole chipotles. Canned chipotles is
an entirely different product, not nearly so hot, in fact some are not hot
at all, it's made with a much milder pepper, really just adds smokiness and
the flavor of the adobo sauce.

Thanks, Sheldon. I've never run across a mild one canned in adobo sauce.
These are going into Cherry Chipotle relish.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
how do I prepare it?

I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
before chopping?

Chop with a knife or small chopper device?

I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.

Thanks for help.

Thanks. They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Do you have a recipe ? Might still be able to get some cherries.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.

At http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/96oct/salsa/salsa.htm, there is a
description of various salsa-making methods employed by Rick Bayless.
One of the recipes is for tomato-chipotle salsa made with dried
chipotles. The stems are snapped and the chipotles are heated on each
side for a few seconds on a dry griddle over medium heat, then pressed
with a metal spatula until they crackle and you can just smell them.
Then they are trasferred to a bowl, covered with hot water and soaked
for twenty minutes and stirred often. Then they are drained and pulsed
in a food processor with the other ingredients.

Zarela Martínez, in her recipe for salsa de barbacoa con chile colorado
(in _Food from My Heart_), just covers the chipotles with boiling water
and lets them soak until softened, about 10 minutes.

Bubba
Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Thanks. They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.

I have several recipes.

This one is the easiest:

Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe By: Barb Schaller 6-05

Yield: ~1 cup

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 small onion finely minced (maybe 1/4 cup)
1 garlic clove finely minced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce finely chopped
1 cup M.A. Gedney Cherry Preserves cough
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in it for
a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce
heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool before serving with roast
meat or with a sandwich. Makes about one cup. Refrigerate leftovers.
It packs a sneaky bite.

And this is the one I reverse-engineered so it would be eligible for
competition. It won first place.

Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe By: Barb Schaller - August, 2006

Yield: 6-8 half pint jars

64 ounces frozen sweet cherries
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (La Costeña 7 oz)
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced

Slightly thaw the cherries then slice them (thickest slice) in food
processor.

Drain, reserving juice. Chop the canned chipotles (with sauce) in food
processor.

Combine all in a heavy kettle, bring to boil, then reduce heat and
simmer for about 30-40 minutes to thicken.

Pour into 6-8 prepared half pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath
for 15 minutes.

Notes: First Place, Minnesota State Fair, 2006.Suggestions: Start
with only half the amount of chipotles. I don't know if they vary in
heat from can to can but when I made this after the Fair, half a can was
quite sufficient.

Re the reserved cherry juice: Make some jelly. And if I'd had sour
cherries, I would have used those instead of the sweet cherries.
This rocks with grilled pork or chicken.

Barb Schaller
September 15, 2006

If you liquefy this and maybe add some more vinegar, it's a good mop for
grilled meat, too.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
snip easiest recipe

Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe By: Barb Schaller - August, 2006

Yield: 6-8 half pint jars

64 ounces frozen sweet cherries

Barb, I'm guessing that fresh bings could be used???

snip remainder of recipe

TammyM
Old 02-08-2009, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. I seem to be missing an essential ingredient--and it seems
like heresy to sub some other brand!

--
Jean B.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Any dried chilis (smoked or not) can be de-stemmed, rinsed
to remove the seeds, then put in a blender with a small
amount of water to form a sort of slurry. Optionally,
this can then be seived but I never do.

IMO they grind less easily after long soaking.

I'm not sure if an enchilada sauce made entirely from
chipotles would be unbearably hot or not, but there is
some chance it would be.

Steve
Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Jean B." wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Steve Y wrote:

Do you have a recipe ? Might still be able to get some cherries.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snips in the recipe)
Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe By: Barb Schaller 6-05

1 cup M.A. Gedney Cherry Preserves cough

Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in it for
a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce
heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool before serving with roast
meat or with a sandwich. Makes about one cup. Refrigerate leftovers.
It packs a sneaky bite.

(snip)
Hmmm. I seem to be missing an essential ingredient--and it seems
like heresy to sub some other brand!

:-) It's available online from mybrandsinc.com, I believe.
I'm not wild about what I made last night (the second recipe) ‹
something's missing and I'm not sure what it is. Might be a titch of
salt, although the texture and consistency isn't what I would like it to
be, in spite of my screwing around with trying to get it right.