Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For those who follow this kind of thing, a interesting note: mostUtah Albertson's stores...

....will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within the next few
months. Associated plans to take the underperformers from the Utah
stores and roll them in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's,
Lin's, and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery chain in Utah.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12929207?source=rss

As if it wasn't dead and uninspiring enough around here already.

Frankly, I've never liked Albertson's and their price-gouging. But I
really don't want to see anymore stores from the Associated line here.
Their sameness is numbing, and the Western Family brand is rubbish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

> Frankly, I've never liked Albertson's and their price-gouging. But I
> really don't want to see anymore stores from the Associated line here.
> Their sameness is numbing, and the Western Family brand is rubbish.

That would suck. At least around here, different chains have their
own strengths and weaknesses, I would hate it if it didn't make a
difference what store you went to as far as selection goes.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 8:01*am, Pennyaline > wrote:
> ...will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within the next few
> months. Associated plans to take the underperformers from the Utah
> stores and roll them in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's,
> Lin's, and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery chain in Utah.
>
> http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12929207?source=rss
>
> As if it wasn't dead and uninspiring enough around here already.
>
> Frankly, I've never liked Albertson's and their price-gouging. But I
> really don't want to see anymore stores from the Associated line here.
> Their sameness is numbing, and the Western Family brand is rubbish.

Generica!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Pennyaline wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I've never liked Albertson's and their price-gouging. But I
> > really don't want to see anymore stores from the Associated line here.
> > Their sameness is numbing, and the Western Family brand is rubbish.

> That would suck. At least around here, different chains have their
> own strengths and weaknesses, I would hate it if it didn't make a
> difference what store you went to as far as selection goes.

I've found Western Family to be just fine. It's not a premium label,
but I'm happy with it. It is the label for independent groceries. That
doesn't mean they aren't a chain, but it means they aren't big enough to
have their own labels. My current favorite store carries it. There are
only two stores, but are planning on opening another about 50 miles
north of here.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline > wrote in message
> ...will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within
> the next few months. Associated plans to take the
> underperformers from the Utah stores and roll them
> in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's, Lin's,
> and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery
> chain in Utah.
>
> http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12929207?source=rss

That's too bad. Reducing choice, no matter how limited it is already, is
never a good idea.

> Their sameness is numbing, and the Western Family
> brand is rubbish.

Western Family brand is not rubbish. It's just as good as Green Giant and
better priced than many others. Western Brand is offered through PW Markets,
Gene's Fine Foods, and Cosentino's, high-end grocers, so I'm not sure why
you are bashing them.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:01:16 -0600, Pennyaline wrote:

> ...will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within the next few
> months. Associated plans to take the underperformers from the Utah
> stores and roll them in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's,
> Lin's, and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery chain in Utah.

There are *people* in Utah? I thought it was just a placeholder.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:01:16 -0600, Pennyaline wrote:
>
> > ...will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within the next few
> > months. Associated plans to take the underperformers from the Utah
> > stores and roll them in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's,
> > Lin's, and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery chain in Utah.

> There are *people* in Utah? I thought it was just a placeholder.

2,736,424

http://www.google.com/search?q=utah+...utf-8&aq=t&rls
=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 6:01*am, Pennyaline > wrote:
> ...will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within the next few
> months. Associated plans to take the underperformers from the Utah
> stores and roll them in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's,
> Lin's, and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery chain in Utah.
>
> http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12929207?source=rss
>
> As if it wasn't dead and uninspiring enough around here already.
>
> Frankly, I've never liked Albertson's and their price-gouging. But I
> really don't want to see anymore stores from the Associated line here.
> Their sameness is numbing, and the Western Family brand is rubbish.

Funny how people tend to think that a store is price gouging just
because they found the same item somewhere else at a cheaper price.
It's free enterprise in a competitive market. Hell, 7-11 is more
expensive that Albertson's so does that make them even more of price
gouger? Someone, somewhere will sell you something cheaper than the
next guy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:34:39 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:01:16 -0600, Pennyaline wrote:
>>
>>> ...will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within the next few
>>> months. Associated plans to take the underperformers from the Utah
>>> stores and roll them in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's,
>>> Lin's, and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery chain in Utah.

>> There are *people* in Utah? I thought it was just a placeholder.

> 2,736,424

Wow, it even ranks #35. They didn't have any people that one Sunday
I stopped there <shrug>.

ObFood: Dinner was Surf and Surf and Turf. Grilled 1/2lb Grass Fed
Ribeye from Uruguay ($5.99/lb), 3 colossal scallops (6ct/lb @
$7.99/lb),and 7 shrimp (21-25ct @ $4.99/lb). And a sprig of parsley
for garnish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:34:39 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:01:16 -0600, Pennyaline wrote:
>>
>>> ...will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within the next few
>>> months. Associated plans to take the underperformers from the Utah
>>> stores and roll them in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's,
>>> Lin's, and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery chain in Utah.

>> There are *people* in Utah? I thought it was just a placeholder.

> 2,736,424
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=utah+...utf-8&aq=t&rls
> =org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

yeah, but most of them are mormons.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:43:48 -0400, blake murphy wrote:

> yeah, but most of them are mormons.

I'm sure they're not *all* morons.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:25:50 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:43:48 -0400, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> yeah, but most of them are mormons.

> I'm sure they're not *all* morons.
>
> -sw

actually, i've been told there are by-god no-pasties topless joints in salt
lake city.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Jul 30, 6:01 am, Pennyaline > wrote:
>> ...will be taken over by Associated Food Stores within the next few
>> months. Associated plans to take the underperformers from the Utah
>> stores and roll them in with their existing Dan's, Macey's, Dick's,
>> Lin's, and so on, making Associated the biggest grocery chain in Utah.
>>
>> http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12929207?source=rss
>>
>> As if it wasn't dead and uninspiring enough around here already.
>>
>> Frankly, I've never liked Albertson's and their price-gouging. But I
>> really don't want to see anymore stores from the Associated line here.
>> Their sameness is numbing, and the Western Family brand is rubbish.

> Funny how people tend to think that a store is price gouging just
> because they found the same item somewhere else at a cheaper price.
> It's free enterprise in a competitive market. Hell, 7-11 is more
> expensive that Albertson's so does that make them even more of price
> gouger? Someone, somewhere will sell you something cheaper than the
> next guy.

Albertson's price gouging is notorious. Prices are consistently lower on
everyday items at other stores. They don't even try to hide the way they
raise prices on some items while trumpeting discounts on other items via
their Preferred Savings card. What a rip off that thing is!

I expect 7-11 to have higher prices. I think everyone does. So that is a
poor comparison, but yes, it still makes 7-11 more of a gouger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:34:39 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> There are *people* in Utah? I thought it was just a placeholder.

>> 2,736,424

> Wow, it even ranks #35. They didn't have any people that one Sunday
> I stopped there <shrug>.

Well yeah! Sunday. Utah. Hello! Invisibility on Sundays is the closest
thing they have to blue laws around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Pennyaline wrote:
>>
>>> Frankly, I've never liked Albertson's and their price-gouging. But I
>>> really don't want to see anymore stores from the Associated line here.
>>> Their sameness is numbing, and the Western Family brand is rubbish.

>> That would suck. At least around here, different chains have their
>> own strengths and weaknesses, I would hate it if it didn't make a
>> difference what store you went to as far as selection goes.

> I've found Western Family to be just fine. It's not a premium label,
> but I'm happy with it. It is the label for independent groceries. That
> doesn't mean they aren't a chain, but it means they aren't big enough to
> have their own labels. My current favorite store carries it. There are
> only two stores, but are planning on opening another about 50 miles
> north of here.

I've tried most of the Western Family stuff, and it's dreck. It's worth
the trip to Smith's for the Kroger brand.