Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT, but it's not stopping anyone else

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>>they're 'stealing' something *you've already thrown away*.

>> *BING* *BING* *BING*
>>
>> and have placed on PUBLIC PROPERTY, i.e., the sidewalk/curb.
>>
>> Now if they take the recycling bin along with it ... THAT's stealing.

> Your opinion does not matter. Ask your town attorney what the law is.

Very true... it's not on public property, it's on town property. There
really is no such thing as "public property", not in the US.... there's
'public use' lands (like parks, roadways, seashores, etc.) but only so long
as the public follows the rules... even on private lands one must follow the
rules, and there are many.... a lot of new property owners get into big
trouble because they think since they now own a piece of property they can
do with it as they will, WRONG! There are Town, County, State, and Federal
laws that dictate what one can and cannot do on one's own property.... it's
smart to apprise oneself or there are consequences, sometimes quite
serious.... get caught dumping spent automobile fluids on your own property
and you well may no longer own that property.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ffu wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:33:28 -0400, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> -->
> -->"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> -->>
> -->> "Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
> -->>>>> All well and good, but she wouldn't be pleased if someone decided to
> -->>>>> steal from her. What I'm talking about is flat out stealing. If
> -->>>>> someone wants to paint it with a different brush, that's their
> -->>>>> problem.
> -->>>>
> -->>>>they're 'stealing' something *you've already thrown away*.
> -->>>
> -->>> *BING* *BING* *BING*
> -->>>
> -->>> and have placed on PUBLIC PROPERTY, i.e., the sidewalk/curb.
> -->>>
> -->>> Now if they take the recycling bin along with it ... THAT's stealing.
> -->>
> -->> Your opinion does not matter. Ask your town attorney what the law is.
> -->Do you admire this kind of petty nitpicking semantics game? As though there
> -->are no stupid laws. I don't give a fat, selfish, smug suburbanite's ass WHAT
> -->the law is, it is utterly petty and miserably small and uncaring to begrudge
> -->the poor or needy your refuse. And yes you bet I am talking about YOU, sf.
> -->If there is a law against them picking things up that are in containers
> -->marked for disposal, it is a law designed to keep the riff raff out of the
> -->fat ****ing smug suburban bitches' sight.
> -->
> -->Charlotte's point was not "what the law is." She is a bigger person than
> -->that. She was talking about a caring, rational person's reasonable
> -->definition of stealing, not that of a mindless penny ante bureaucracy
> -->catering to fatass suburban twits who actually begrudge the needy their
> -->castoff.
> -->
> -->Ugh. I said UGH. bleah. *shiver*
> -->
>
> furball?

That would have been a cough :-)

And the law doesn't matter since every community has some that would
apply anyway on things like loitering, or vagrancy. So if the local
police want to deal with a chronic problem, I'd be more inclined to
believe they'd be enforcing one of those type laws. Not theft.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:19:16 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Yes, it would be interesting. We once had no luck at all selling
>our son's old VW Fox when we advertised it at $800 but it sold in
>a day when we raised the price to $1200. Go figure....

No kidding!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Do you admire this kind of petty nitpicking semantics game? As though there
>are no stupid laws. I don't give a fat, selfish, smug suburbanite's ass WHAT
>the law is, it is utterly petty and miserably small and uncaring to begrudge
>the poor or needy your refuse. And yes you bet I am talking about YOU, sf.
>If there is a law against them picking things up that are in containers
>marked for disposal, it is a law designed to keep the riff raff out of the
>fat ****ing smug suburban bitches' sight.

It's not a game of semantics and I live in a city not suburbs. It's
the law and you know it by this time. If the bins were on my
property, they would be trespassing while they steal, but I am forced
to put them on the sidewalk for pick up. Bins on the sidewalk doesn't
mean it's open season to rummage.

Wrap yourself up in the flag and sing *** bi ya, but you won't change
my mind. It's stealing. They are stealing from me and the company I
have a contract with. Wear your halo with pride - I will happily
redirect anyone who wants to pick recyclables out of my bin over to
your house.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> *BING* *BING* *BING*
>>>
>>> and have placed on PUBLIC PROPERTY, i.e., the sidewalk/curb.
>>>
>>> Now if they take the recycling bin along with it ... THAT's stealing.

>> Your opinion does not matter. Ask your town attorney what the law is.

>Do you admire this kind of petty nitpicking semantics game? As though there
>are no stupid laws. I don't give a fat, selfish, smug suburbanite's ass WHAT
>the law is, it is utterly petty and miserably small and uncaring to begrudge
>the poor or needy your refuse. And yes you bet I am talking about YOU, sf.
>If there is a law against them picking things up that are in containers
>marked for disposal, it is a law designed to keep the riff raff out of the
>fat ****ing smug suburban bitches' sight.
>
>Charlotte's point was not "what the law is." She is a bigger person than
>that. She was talking about a caring, rational person's reasonable
>definition of stealing, not that of a mindless penny ante bureaucracy
>catering to fatass suburban twits who actually begrudge the needy their
>castoff.

My sidewalk is public access on private property and I am responsible
for the upkeep. I can be told by the city to replace or repair the
sidewalk for whatever minute reason and I can be sued by John Q Public
if someone slips or falls in front of my house. My sidewalk is NOT
municipal property and nothing placed on it is put out for public
consumption unless I have a sign on it stating otherwise.

Send me your addresses and I'll redirect anyone rummaging through my
bins over to your homes. it's a win-win situation.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote to cyber****:

> Send me your addresses and I'll redirect anyone rummaging through my
> bins over to your homes. it's a win-win situation.

That would be "middle dumpster, south alley, 25¢ Crack-Whore Avenue, Durham,
NC"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote to Goomba:

> maybe you could hire a couple of armed guards to watch over your garbage.

Guards, hell! She could keep those filthy scavengers away with a couple
BEARS! ("Godless killing machines," as Stephen Colbert calls them.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Greg wrote:

> It's obvious that you are ignernt of the vagaries of modern urban life,
> cyberkitty...

You couldn't be MORE wrong! cyber**** *wallows* in those vagaries.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlotte wrote:

> ObFood: Homemade french fries from fresh organic potatoes using Jeffrey
> Steingarten's method are awesome. (Was served these by BFF#2's husband
> for dinner ... they have a mandoline and a proper deepfat fryer.)

What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Here in ABQ, we get these biodegradable bags (HUGE) to put our
> recyclables in...

Also, I wondered about this. Why are they giving you huge biodegradable
bags that will then go into the landfill? Shouldn't recyclables go into a
can that is reused many times? Sounds like they're just tossing the bags
full into the landfill, that's not unheard of. And, just like ancient
carrots and
newspapers, biodegradable bags don't disappear the way one might think.

nancy, curious

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:33:28 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:

>>> Your opinion does not matter. Ask your town attorney what the law is.

>>Do you admire this kind of petty nitpicking semantics game? As though
>>there
>>are no stupid laws. I don't give a fat, selfish, smug suburbanite's ass
>>WHAT
>>the law is, it is utterly petty and miserably small and uncaring to
>>begrudge
>>the poor or needy your refuse. And yes you bet I am talking about YOU, sf.
>>If there is a law against them picking things up that are in containers
>>marked for disposal, it is a law designed to keep the riff raff out of the
>>fat ****ing smug suburban bitches' sight.
>>
>>Charlotte's point was not "what the law is." She is a bigger person than
>>that. She was talking about a caring, rational person's reasonable
>>definition of stealing, not that of a mindless penny ante bureaucracy
>>catering to fatass suburban twits who actually begrudge the needy their
>>castoff.
>>

> My sidewalk is public access on private property and I am responsible
> for the upkeep. I can be told by the city to replace or repair the
> sidewalk for whatever minute reason and I can be sued by John Q Public
> if someone slips or falls in front of my house. My sidewalk is NOT
> municipal property and nothing placed on it is put out for public
> consumption unless I have a sign on it stating otherwise.

"My sidewalk"? THE sidewalk in front of your property is NOT your property,
it is indeed municipal property, and as an adjacent property owner you need
to obey the laws pertaining to maintaining that sidewalk same as folks need
to obey the laws pertinent to littering, spitting, loitering, etc. on that
sidewalk... by choosing to own that property you have agreed to all the
pertinent municipal laws thereto.

As to trash collection, the collectors are instructed *not* to enter the
owner's property for reasons of liability, therefore property owners are
instructed to place trash for pick up on adjacent municipal property, ie.
curb/road shoulder (I seriously doubt you are permitted to place youir trash
in such a way that it impedes sidewalk traffic). As to folks (itinerent or
neighbors) rummaging trash placed out for pick up that is not stealing, it's
a no mans land issue that municipalities resolve by instructing both
property owners and trash collectors to arrange a time for trash to be put
out and a time for pick up that leaves the trash unattended for as short a
period as possible. Anyone rummaging trash can be charged for littering if
they leave a mess but they cannot be charged for theft for merely taking
*discarded* property (once property has been placed out for trash pick up it
is no longer anyones property until it is collected by those assigned to do
so, it comes under the municipal codes for abandoned property... anyone
doesn't like it is free to haul their trash directly to the town dump
themselves. In fact if ones trash somehow becomes litter, even if by
animals, and they don't clean it up the property owner may be charged.
There have been many cases where a property owner has placed
furniture/appliances at the curb for pick up and suddenly decided to
retrieve it for whatever reason, and upon finding someone taking the items
an altercation occurs. Courts typically rule in favor of those picking up
the discarded items (possession). Once you place your trash out for
collection if the homeless (or your next door neighbor) takes your trash (so
long as they don't litter, or loiter) there is not a thing you can do about
it... that comes under the doctrine of "Finders keepers losers weepers".
Now if one resides in a gated community the rules change, then trespass and
theft come into play, perhaps even burglary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 11:37*am, (Charlotte L. Blackmer)
wrote:
> TV placed out on the curb disappears: *NOT STEALING
> TV in the living room disappears: *STEALING

If recyclables are placed out on the curb, in a City issued recycling
bin, it's stealing from the City. Without aluminum and glass that fund
the recycling program, taxes make up the difference.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 7:33*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Do you admire this kind of petty nitpicking semantics game? As though there
> are no stupid laws. I don't give a fat, selfish, smug suburbanite's ass WHAT
> the law is, it is utterly petty and miserably small and uncaring to begrudge
> the poor or needy your refuse. And yes you bet I am talking about YOU, sf..
> If there is a law against them picking things up that are in containers
> marked for disposal, it is a law designed to keep the riff raff out of the
> fat ****ing smug suburban bitches' sight.
>
> Charlotte's point was not "what the law is." She is a bigger person than
> that. She was talking about a caring, rational person's reasonable
> definition of stealing, not that of a mindless penny ante bureaucracy
> catering to fatass suburban twits who actually begrudge the needy their
> castoff.

Those who steal recyclables are becoming territorial in my
neighborhood. A big Dodge caravan drives up completely empty on the
night before the recyclables are to be picked up by the city. Each
week, the same couple canvasses the neighborhood streets and about an
hour and a half later, they drive off with their van completely
loaded. It's a racket. I do not believe they're as needy as some but
others in need will cross the street to avoid a confrontation with
this couple.

The system doesn't work and it doesn't help those in need. The police
really don't do anything about it, so it continues. Our cities are
cutting budgets right and left, and programs that are there to help
shape the facilitation of recycling the materials and having those
efforts go back into the future of recycling more for us will be
impacted to the point of potentially being discontinued.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 11:49*am, (Charlotte L. Blackmer)
wrote:
> My world isn't a zero-sum world, where it's US vs. THEM. *So, no feeling
> high-and-mighty here - there but for the grace of God go I. *I have been
> given a lot, but people have helped me out over the way, so I want to keep
> paying it forward. *

Paying it forward would really be supporting those who recycle in the
first place by rewarding them to continue. Recycling programs will
continue if the system that is set in place to be self-supported is
protected.

Letting those who have tapped into these resources intended to fund
the recycling programs is more like paying it backward.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> OTOH, I recall a time a few years ago in Amsterdam that this American
> kid approached the DH and me, saying he just needed $20 to be able to
> buy air fare back to the states. The kid was giving off a vibe, so I
> just pushed my sunglasses down my nose and said, "Does this work very
> often for you?" He just grinned and said, "Uh-huh."

When we were in Montreal a few years ago I saw the beggars get an early
start. It was about 8:45 am when a nice Audi pulled up and two men with
nice leather jackets and lots of gold chains opened up the truck to get
a couple of milk crates and signs out of the trunk. Two raggedly dressed
women got out of the back seat and set up shop. The sign said something
like Please Help Us. They obviously made a pretty well in the begging
business.

It was like an incident reported in Toronto a few years ago about the
"Shaky Lady", a pathetic old wretch with tremors who was begging on the
streets. Some reporter took an interest in the poor old woman and wanted
to write about her plight. The woman was not willing to talk and the
reporter got suspicious. At the end of the day a luxury car pulled up
to pick her up. The tremor disappeared. The reporter followed them to a
luxury house in the suburbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:24:44 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > wrote:
>
>>In an earlier post in the thread about homeless people rummaging
>>in recycling bins set out for collection, there was an interesting
>>article in the "New York Times" this morning entitled, "Is It Now A
>>Crime To Be Poor?"

> It is if they are stealing. I have a contract with the garbage
> company not with them.

Hmmm. Garbage company. There's a clue right there. To you, it's garbage.
What difference does it make to you who takes the stuff away? Do you
give said garbage company an inventory of your recyclables every
collection day? e.g. 5 soda cans, 1 EVOO bottle, 3 glass jars, 2 wine
bottles, etc. - and do they pay you for it? Even if they do, it can't
be worth much (to you). As long as these folks don't make a mess and
spread garbage all over the sidewalk/curb I just don't see the problem.

Yeah, yeah - I know it's considered theft where you live - but I think
that's just downright convenient for you, IMNSHO. You just seem to
begrudge people finding anything useful (to them) in your garbage.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-14, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Guards, hell! She could keep those filthy scavengers away with a couple
> BEARS! ("Godless killing machines," as Stephen Colbert calls them.)

Danged if them ol' Summer bears ain't back. I hadda go out last night
and pick up strewn garbage with a light in one hand and a shotgun in
the other. Makes for some pretty exciting clean-up, let me tell you!
You could tell it was a bear by the fact it stove in our secured HD
Rubbermaid garbage can like it was a paper cup and the 7" wide muddy
paw smears on the lid and side (musta been a cub). I can tell you,
they're nothing like homeless people, even if they do poop on your
property. Ain't seen no homeless people that can rip my lungs out
with a single swipe, though I have smelled a few that could stop my
lungs from functioning at 30 yards.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> TV placed out on the curb disappears: NOT STEALING
> TV in the living room disappears: STEALING

If recyclables are placed out on the curb, in a City issued recycling
bin, it's stealing from the City. Without aluminum and glass that fund
the recycling program, taxes make up the difference.

Karen

Nonsense. The municipality still receives the recyclables, when the
homeless turn it in for cash instead of the contracted trash collectors
turning it in for cash... if there was no monetary reimbursement neither the
homeless or the trash collectors would concern themselves with recylables.
I'd rather the homeless get the cash than some maffia run private
sanitation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
<snip>
> My world isn't a zero-sum world, where it's US vs. THEM. So, no feeling
> high-and-mighty here - there but for the grace of God go I. I have been
> given a lot, but people have helped me out over the way, so I want to keep
> paying it forward.

<applause> Here, here, well said. I put my cash recyleables (not many,
I don't consume a lot of canned/bottled drinks) next to the bin when I
have them. The regulars know my bin is not a treasure trove. Even if
it were, unless things get a helluva lot tougher than they are, I'd
still leave them for others who need 'em so much that they dumpster
dive. And they make out like MAD with the bin of the guys we "clink" of
a bottle hitting the bin about 16 times/day! (several "boys" live there....)

Having done volunteer work in homeless shelters, a lot of these folks
look frighteningly JUST like you and me. We're separated by a few hard
knocks is all.

TammyM, grateful as all get out for the grace of God
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:24:44 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>In an earlier post in the thread about homeless people rummaging
>>>in recycling bins set out for collection, there was an interesting
>>>article in the "New York Times" this morning entitled, "Is It Now A
>>>Crime To Be Poor?"

>> It is if they are stealing. I have a contract with the garbage
>> company not with them.
>>

> Hmmm. Garbage company. There's a clue right there. To you, it's garbage.
> What difference does it make to you who takes the stuff away? Do you
> give said garbage company an inventory of your recyclables every
> collection day? e.g. 5 soda cans, 1 EVOO bottle, 3 glass jars, 2 wine
> bottles, etc. - and do they pay you for it? Even if they do, it can't
> be worth much (to you). As long as these folks don't make a mess and
> spread garbage all over the sidewalk/curb I just don't see the problem.

Eggsactly!

> Yeah, yeah - I know it's considered theft where you live - but I think
> that's just downright convenient for you, IMNSHO. You just seem to
> begrudge people finding anything useful (to them) in your garbage.

Actually it's not theft, she's just displaying her ignorance... she's an old
crone who peeps out her window 24/7 hoping to witness someone swiping trash,
her only excitement/entertainment

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 7:26*am, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> Nonsense. *The municipality still receives the recyclables, when the
> homeless turn it in for cash instead of the contracted trash collectors
> turning it in for cash... if there was no monetary reimbursement neither the
> homeless or the trash collectors would concern themselves with recylables..
> I'd rather the homeless get the cash than some maffia run private
> sanitation.

If the contracted trash collectors received more money from the cash
they received from the recyclables, they would not charge the city as
much for their service of running their trucks. They haul away the low-
income recycling materials as well as the lucrative aluminum and
glass. The big difference in your Sopranos theory, is that the
homeless don't care about styrofoam pellets.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
On Aug 14, 7:26 am, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> Nonsense. The municipality still receives the recyclables, when the
> homeless turn it in for cash instead of the contracted trash collectors
> turning it in for cash... if there was no monetary reimbursement neither
> the
> homeless or the trash collectors would concern themselves with recylables.
> I'd rather the homeless get the cash than some maffia run private
> sanitation.

If the contracted trash collectors received more money from the cash
they received from the recyclables,

Think before sending, that makes no cents.

they would not charge the city as
much for their service of running their trucks. They haul away the low-
income recycling materials as well as the lucrative aluminum and
glass. The big difference in your Sopranos theory, is that the
homeless don't care about styrofoam pellets.

=============

Neither do the trash collectors care, in fact they'd prefer not having to
deal with recylables at all, they charge more for collecting trash because
they are pressured to as part of the deal, do you really think they do that
high labor job gratis? duh. If the municipality and those who reside there
were truly concerned they'd install a deposit law on beverage containers and
erect collection centers where styrofoam is collected, weighed, and paid
for... obviously they don't GAF. Btw, styrofoam is one of the by products
that's not collected from trash as a recyclable, it's been tried and doesn't
work, costs more to recycle than it's worth. Hardly anyone uses styrofoam
packing pellets anymore, now they use bubble cushioning. Container depost
laws ensure that better than 95% of recyclable containers are properly
disposed of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ffu ffu is offline

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 06:39:09 -0700 (PDT), Karen > wrote:

[...]

So talk to your neighbours and get all of them to put the recyclables out early
in the morning of collection, this will put a stop to the Dodge van people
(they usually don't like daylight).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>>they're 'stealing' something *you've already thrown away*.

>> *BING* *BING* *BING*
>>
>> and have placed on PUBLIC PROPERTY, i.e., the sidewalk/curb.
>>
>> Now if they take the recycling bin along with it ... THAT's stealing.

>Your opinion does not matter. Ask your town attorney what the law is.

In that case, sf should be lobbying the city attorney, the chief of
police, and her County Supervisor (San Francisco is a city-and-county in
one so the "city council" is subsumed in county government) instead of
just bitching at people behind her pseudonym on the Intarwebz. Does she
want to do something or does she just want to bitch?

I strongly suspect that it's technically against the law in my local
jurisdiction but it's one of those things that the police don't enforce
unless it gets pretty egregious. The recycling contractor is a non-profit
and gets paid anyway. ObFood: this entity also runs the farmer's markets
in town.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>Charlotte wrote:
>
>> ObFood: Homemade french fries from fresh organic potatoes using Jeffrey
>> Steingarten's method are awesome. (Was served these by BFF#2's husband
>> for dinner ... they have a mandoline and a proper deepfat fryer.)

>What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.

That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

Charlote
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 01:19:53 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:33:28 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>Do you admire this kind of petty nitpicking semantics game? As though there
>>are no stupid laws. I don't give a fat, selfish, smug suburbanite's ass WHAT
>>the law is, it is utterly petty and miserably small and uncaring to begrudge
>>the poor or needy your refuse. And yes you bet I am talking about YOU, sf.
>>If there is a law against them picking things up that are in containers
>>marked for disposal, it is a law designed to keep the riff raff out of the
>>fat ****ing smug suburban bitches' sight.

> It's not a game of semantics and I live in a city not suburbs. It's
> the law and you know it by this time. If the bins were on my
> property, they would be trespassing while they steal, but I am forced
> to put them on the sidewalk for pick up. Bins on the sidewalk doesn't
> mean it's open season to rummage.
>
> Wrap yourself up in the flag and sing *** bi ya, but you won't change
> my mind. It's stealing. They are stealing from me and the company I
> have a contract with. Wear your halo with pride - I will happily
> redirect anyone who wants to pick recyclables out of my bin over to
> your house.

i'm telling you, armed guards are the only answer.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:29:29 -0500, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Yer acting like some snotty leftist P - U - N - K, blake...

>> than what is begrudging crumbs to the less fortunate? right-wing
>> snotty?

> It's a pity HUAC is still not around, blake...then you'd "change" yer
> "tune"...heehee...
>
> ;-)

it figures you would think HUAC was a force for good.

what do you think they would have done if they had found out roy cohn was
***?

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:24:24 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

<snip>

> She thanked me and wheeled her suitcase to wherever she was going to
> spend the night. I went back to my nice hotel room and had another
> gin. By this time Louise was very annoyed with me. I told her and
> the other couple we'd be best leaving the talk until the morning when
> I was sober.
>
> In the morning we packed up and drove to our friends house in LaGrange
> Park. I was asked about what the hell had happened the night before.
> Between the ride and the brunch conversation I was branded the jerk
> for not giving the woman the money to get home. Louise and the other
> woman both had tears in their eyes.
>
> Being over served didn't help, but I'll never know what "really"
> happened that night, if she was telling the truth, or if I did the
> right thing.
>
> Lou

you did the right thing, lou. even if everything she told you was a pack
of lies, she was hungry and you fed her. the right thing under any code of
conduct.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote

> In the morning we packed up and drove to our friends house in LaGrange
> Park. I was asked about what the hell had happened the night before.
> Between the ride and the brunch conversation I was branded the jerk
> for not giving the woman the money to get home. Louise and the other
> woman both had tears in their eyes.
>
> Being over served didn't help, but I'll never know what "really"
> happened that night, if she was telling the truth, or if I did the
> right thing.

A few years ago I was in Las Vegas waiting to cross a street and a guy came
up and asked me for some money so he could get something to eat. I told him
I wouldn't give him money but I would buy him some food at a nearby snack
bar. He told me to go f**k myself.

Maybe he didn't like that snack bar.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ffu ffu is offline

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:35:45 -0400, blake murphy >
wrote:

-->On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 01:19:53 -0700, sf wrote:
-->
-->> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:33:28 -0400, "cybercat" >
-->> wrote:
-->>
[...]

With armor piercing ammo of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Greg wrote:
>
>> It's obvious that you are ignernt of the vagaries of modern urban
>> life, cyberkitty...

> You couldn't be MORE wrong! cyber**** *wallows* in those vagaries.

I don't know what kind of "bubble" the cyberkitty lives in, but in this case
and for this subject she is obviously not grounded in reality. I guess her
vision of an ideal society would be a chaotic one, along the lines of a _Mad
Max_ - type dystopia where the homeless get to call the shots over those who
work, pay taxes, abide by the rules, etc...

I work and pay taxes and give to charities, they cyberkittie's attempts to
make me and some others here feel "guilty" about not kowtowing to the
homeless is simply adolesecent posturing on her part...

There are plenty of people in need, but there are plenty who simply seem to
exist to be a PITA - and this includes any number of homeless I've
encountered. Cyberkittie seems to believe that the homeless are simply poor
misunderstood "noble savages" or something. I've seen too many encounters
with homeless where they are a DANGER to normal people...I'm not going to
recount the stories, everyone living in an urban environment has similar.

I'm not going to feel one bit guilty for letting some bum rifle through my
garbage or whatever when it is properly *secured* for disposal...

Cyberkittie is simply being her normal disputatious self, but what else is
new...???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Karen" > wrote in message
> On Aug 13, 11:37 am, (Charlotte L. Blackmer)
> wrote:
>> TV placed out on the curb disappears: NOT STEALING
>> TV in the living room disappears: STEALING

> If recyclables are placed out on the curb, in a City issued recycling
> bin, it's stealing from the City. Without aluminum and glass that fund
> the recycling program, taxes make up the difference.
>
> Karen
>
> Nonsense. The municipality still receives the recyclables, when the
> homeless turn it in for cash instead of the contracted trash
> collectors turning it in for cash... if there was no monetary
> reimbursement neither the homeless or the trash collectors would
> concern themselves with recylables. I'd rather the homeless get the
> cash than some maffia run private sanitation.

Here in Chicawgo (and I'm sure many other places) Mexicans go out early
every morning in trucks to collect any recyclabe metal items...they benefit
from it and and it's a good deal.

And talk about "mafia" private - run sanitation, lol, Chicawgo wrote the
book. There are both city and private haulers, the city trucks have THREE
guys, the private haulers (Waste Management IIRC) have ONE...'course
everything in Chicawgo IS "mafia" - "mick mafia"...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:29:29 -0500, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> than what is begrudging crumbs to the less fortunate? right-wing
>>> snotty?

>> It's a pity HUAC is still not around, blake...then you'd "change" yer
>> "tune"...heehee...
>>
>> ;-)

> it figures you would think HUAC was a force for good.

It was a J-O-K-E, blake, jeez already...

> what do you think they would have done if they had found out roy cohn
> was ***?

But they DIDN'T...neither did they find out about Jedgar Hoover, Cardinal
Spellman, and countless others...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> Lou Decruss >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I'm sure we all have stories about panhandlers-scammers-people in
>> need.
>>
>> There was a news blurp on one of the Chicago stations about them a
>> few years back and some claim to make as much as 60 grand a year.
>> What really shocked me as they'd admit it on camera.

> We've had that here as well. I overheard a conversation one morning
> between a pair of them. They were discussing which area of town had
> which convention and which one they thought would be most profitable.
> I know they were panhandlers because they had both hit me up for
> money in the past. I was riding the Metro on the way to work.
>

>> Being over served didn't help, but I'll never know what "really"
>> happened that night, if she was telling the truth, or if I did the
>> right thing.

> I think you did the right thing.

Lou is a mensch, for sure...

I have rarely given the panhandlers
> anything. I did give one guy enough to buy a 6 pack of beer. Why?
> Because he was honest about it. He needed money to buy beer because
> he needed the alcohol. From the looks of him I thought with all his
> shaking and sweating he was about to go into a seizure. I gave him
> the money and watched as he went into the liquor stor.

I stopped giving anything to the homeless after buying food a few times for
some of them and having them say, "Is that ALL yer giving me!?" or even
having them throw the food onto the ground...

We have cookouts at our corner bar here and we've given plates to a couple
of homeless women that come and very quietly and politely ask if they can
have something. It's no biggie, we have plenty 'o vittles. But the problem
is when loudmouth male bums come and try to get food, then you have to get
all medieval on 'em since they are real pests.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i'm surprised they haven't installed 24-hour surveillance cameras over your
> trash bin to curb (so to speak) this shocking crime wave. i suggest you
> write your councilman and demand this.
>
> blake

OOOh, I see a marketing opportunity here.

What do you think of the possibilities of manufacturing
trash barrels and trash bags in bright yellow, with warnings
written all over them:

"DANGER, radioactive waste. Stay clear" or, if you prefer,
"Hazardous Waste. Toxic to Humans."

I wonder how long it would keep the gleaners out of the trash?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:33:28 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>Do you admire this kind of petty nitpicking semantics game? As though
>>there
>>are no stupid laws. I don't give a fat, selfish, smug suburbanite's ass
>>WHAT
>>the law is, it is utterly petty and miserably small and uncaring to
>>begrudge
>>the poor or needy your refuse. And yes you bet I am talking about YOU, sf.
>>If there is a law against them picking things up that are in containers
>>marked for disposal, it is a law designed to keep the riff raff out of the
>>fat ****ing smug suburban bitches' sight.

> It's not a game of semantics and I live in a city not suburbs. It's
> the law and you know it by this time. If the bins were on my
> property, they would be trespassing while they steal, but I am forced
> to put them on the sidewalk for pick up. Bins on the sidewalk doesn't
> mean it's open season to rummage.
>
> Wrap yourself up in the flag and sing *** bi ya, but you won't change
> my mind. It's stealing. They are stealing from me and the company I
> have a contract with. Wear your halo with pride - I will happily
> redirect anyone who wants to pick recyclables out of my bin over to
> your house.

Okay, you have convinced me that you are petty and niggardly in a very
unattractive way. You win. Don't you?