Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT, but it's not stopping anyone else

Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
> In article >,
> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>> Charlotte wrote:
>>
>>> ObFood: Homemade french fries from fresh organic potatoes using Jeffrey
>>> Steingarten's method are awesome. (Was served these by BFF#2's husband
>>> for dinner ... they have a mandoline and a proper deepfat fryer.)

>> What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.
>
> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.
>
> Charlote

I thought that was the standard Belgian way, and that other countries
adopted from a vendor standard?

If you look at the wiki for french fries, if gives an entertaining
account that they were called "french fries" by the americans that were
stationed/arrived in Europe through there during WWI when the official
language of the Belgians at that time was French. I don't know how much
of that is BS, but my first taste of that style of frying them was in
FRG (western Germany) and known commonly as "pommes frites". But when in
Brussels for a NATO conference (wife worked while I played), the couple
of lunch vendors I visited where I had had fries and I complimented them
on them, told me about how they were cooked, and that it started in
their country.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 01:19:53 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:33:28 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Do you admire this kind of petty nitpicking semantics game? As though there
>>>are no stupid laws. I don't give a fat, selfish, smug suburbanite's ass WHAT
>>>the law is, it is utterly petty and miserably small and uncaring to begrudge
>>>the poor or needy your refuse. And yes you bet I am talking about YOU, sf.

>> It's not a game of semantics and I live in a city not suburbs. It's
>> the law and you know it by this time. If the bins were on my
>> property, they would be trespassing while they steal, but I am forced
>> to put them on the sidewalk for pick up. Bins on the sidewalk doesn't
>> mean it's open season to rummage.
>>
>> Wrap yourself up in the flag and sing *** bi ya, but you won't change
>> my mind. It's stealing. They are stealing from me and the company I
>> have a contract with. Wear your halo with pride - I will happily
>> redirect anyone who wants to pick recyclables out of my bin over to
>> your house.

>i'm telling you, armed guards are the only answer.

Heeeeeeeey, now that's an idea.

sf could be the darling of redstate and freerepublic. She'd get a
lot of attention (positive for a change, LOL) as the brave,
plucky person standing up for "property rights" or whatever in Leftyland
USA and nobody would ask her picky questions about "so, how does having a truck
or two bags and a pole imply that all food, housing, and income needs are
taken care of?". She could bask in the limelight and wallow in the hate.

(She hasn't answered my picky question. I've got enough slush in the soup
kitchen fund to get the standard number of guests over the Bay Bridge if it's
true.)

ObFood: local motion pork chop for dinner tonight, from Clark Summit
Farms in Marin County. The chop was about 2" thick - you don't find that
kind of chop anywhere but a specialty butcher. I brined it - the last
chops I had from this farm were a bit lean and would have benefited from
this - and pan-fried it with some Singapore seasoning from Penzey's. Yum.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pommes frites was OT, but it's not stopping anyone else

In article >,
Bob Muncie > wrote:
>Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>>> What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

>> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
>> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.
>>
>> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.
>>

>I thought that was the standard Belgian way, and that other countries
>adopted from a vendor standard?

I believe this is the standard Belgian way, but it's not always practiced
in the USA.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frites (no longer OT, but it's not stopping anyone else)

Charlotte replied:

>> What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.
>
> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

Hm...the two-stage frying is pretty well-known nowadays; I'd never seen
Jeffrey Steingarten's name attached to it. Come to think of it, I've seen
that method used on "Iron Chef America" when Steingarten was a judge, and
nobody mentioned his writing about it. Is it in _The Man Who Ate
Everything_, or somewhere else?

Since you used the term "frites," do you prefer them long and skinny? I know
they can be more crispy that way, and I like those sometimes, but I also
like steak fries and the thick stubby fried potatoes which make up the
"chips" in "fish & chips." I mainly like the long skinny frites in the
traditional combinations of moules frites or steak frites, though I think
I'd like to visit this place sometime: www.pommesfrites.ws/menu.htm[1]

Bob, wondering what "Mexican Ketchup" and "Irish Curry" mean there

[1] If (like me) you wondered about the "ws", it turns out that the domain
name is hosted in Western Samoa. I have no idea why the web site for a NYC
eatery would be registered there. From www.name.com/domain-extensions/ws,
"By having a .WS domain, you are showing your company's professional image
and that you value the Samoan market." Ooooookay...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob wrote,

> Charlote wrote,

>> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>>> What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

>> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
>> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.

>> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

>> Charlote

>I thought that was the standard Belgian way

Double frying is very standard. Double frying with ice
immersion between fryings is less standard. Ice immersion
before the first frying is not uncommon.

In Montreal I had gnochhi poutine in which the gnoccho were
fried, iced, refried. The ended up like delicate potato puffs.
They were delicious in the veal volute (sp?) and with the traditional
squeaky cheese. Best damn think you can imagine. You know,
life is so screwed up in many ways, but you travel to some
other city where people do things differently and you find
out a litte about it, and enjoy it, and your problems come
back into better perspective. This is why regional food is
important. Food heals.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote:

> Double frying is very standard.

That's because folks have become used to fast food fries... par fried,
frozen, finish fried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Bob wrote,
>
>> Charlote wrote,

>>> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
>>> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.

>>> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

>>> Charlote

>> I thought that was the standard Belgian way

> Double frying is very standard. Double frying with ice
> immersion between fryings is less standard. Ice immersion
> before the first frying is not uncommon.
>
> In Montreal I had gnochhi poutine in which the gnoccho were
> fried, iced, refried. The ended up like delicate potato puffs.
> They were delicious in the veal volute (sp?) and with the traditional
> squeaky cheese. Best damn think you can imagine. You know,
> life is so screwed up in many ways, but you travel to some
> other city where people do things differently and you find
> out a litte about it, and enjoy it, and your problems come
> back into better perspective. This is why regional food is
> important. Food heals.
>
> Steve

Steve -

Two things.

I haven't tried the ice immersion method, but will with the next time I
fry (but that's rare as I usually make oven fries). Thanks for the idea.

I like the though that food "heals". That adds value to the craving of
eating ice cream or chocolate when in a sad or upset mood.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>Charlotte replied:
>
>>> What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

>> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
>> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.
>>
>> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

>Hm...the two-stage frying is pretty well-known nowadays; I'd never seen
>Jeffrey Steingarten's name attached to it. Come to think of it, I've seen
>that method used on "Iron Chef America" when Steingarten was a judge, and
>nobody mentioned his writing about it. Is it in _The Man Who Ate
>Everything_, or somewhere else?

There or the other book. (The Man Who Ate Everything)

>Since you used the term "frites," do you prefer them long and skinny? I know
>they can be more crispy that way, and I like those sometimes, but I also
>like steak fries and the thick stubby fried potatoes which make up the
>"chips" in "fish & chips." I mainly like the long skinny frites in the
>traditional combinations of moules frites or steak frites, though I think
>I'd like to visit this place sometime: www.pommesfrites.ws/menu.htm[1]

I went to a place in the East Village once that was a Belgian-inspired
frites bar. The saucing available was all-American-melting-pot though. I
found that I think satay is really awesome on fries.

Normally I like my fries steaky but if they're well made, it's all good.
My use of the term frites was just mixing up the language a little bit.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Charlotte replied:
>
>>> What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

>> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil
>> to a
>> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.
>>
>> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

> Hm...the two-stage frying is pretty well-known nowadays; I'd never seen
> Jeffrey Steingarten's name attached to it. Come to think of it, I've seen
> that method used on "Iron Chef America" when Steingarten was a judge, and
> nobody mentioned his writing about it. Is it in _The Man Who Ate
> Everything_, or somewhere else?
>
> Since you used the term "frites," do you prefer them long and skinny? I
> know
> they can be more crispy that way, and I like those sometimes, but I also
> like steak fries and the thick stubby fried potatoes which make up the
> "chips" in "fish & chips." I mainly like the long skinny frites in the
> traditional combinations of moules frites or steak frites, though I think
> I'd like to visit this place sometime: www.pommesfrites.ws/menu.htm[1]
>
> Bob, wondering what "Mexican Ketchup" and "Irish Curry" mean there
>
> [1] If (like me) you wondered about the "ws", it turns out that the domain
> name is hosted in Western Samoa. I have no idea why the web site for a NYC
> eatery would be registered there. From www.name.com/domain-extensions/ws,
> "By having a .WS domain, you are showing your company's professional image
> and that you value the Samoan market." Ooooookay...

Bob - I don't know the ws domain reference you were referring to...

But a cursory search in google to "Mexican ketchup" and "Irish curry"
exist.

The mexican stuff has a commercial reference to Heinz, and a recipe near
the top of the search
(http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...o_burger.html).

The "Irish curry" search turned this up near the top
http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2...ct_Code=581903
which indicates to me somewhere in Ireland they have a specialty there,
that is likely curry based.

But in any case, I know that curry sauce does go well with fries. One of
my late night snacks prior to returning to the kaserne (military base
near Karlsrhue in Germany) was a "curry-wurst mit pommes frite" from a
street vendor that had a line whenever you visited. A large rectangular
side dish container with Belgian fries, wurst in thick slices, and a
curry sauce over all made fresh in his cart with a deep fryer, and a
griddle. I would have happily payed double for that treat.

I know, a lot of info to just give my experience with curry and fries,
but the memory stays with me, and we all have the time to read RFC :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:28:04 +0000 (UTC), Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>>On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 01:19:53 -0700, sf wrote:

>>> It's not a game of semantics and I live in a city not suburbs. It's
>>> the law and you know it by this time. If the bins were on my
>>> property, they would be trespassing while they steal, but I am forced
>>> to put them on the sidewalk for pick up. Bins on the sidewalk doesn't
>>> mean it's open season to rummage.
>>>
>>> Wrap yourself up in the flag and sing *** bi ya, but you won't change
>>> my mind. It's stealing. They are stealing from me and the company I
>>> have a contract with. Wear your halo with pride - I will happily
>>> redirect anyone who wants to pick recyclables out of my bin over to
>>> your house.

>>i'm telling you, armed guards are the only answer.

> Heeeeeeeey, now that's an idea.
>
> sf could be the darling of redstate and freerepublic. She'd get a
> lot of attention (positive for a change, LOL) as the brave,
> plucky person standing up for "property rights" or whatever in Leftyland
> USA and nobody would ask her picky questions about "so, how does having a truck
> or two bags and a pole imply that all food, housing, and income needs are
> taken care of?". She could bask in the limelight and wallow in the hate.

<snort>

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:08:20 -0600, Gloria P wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>

>> i'm surprised they haven't installed 24-hour surveillance cameras over your
>> trash bin to curb (so to speak) this shocking crime wave. i suggest you
>> write your councilman and demand this.
>>
>> blake

> OOOh, I see a marketing opportunity here.
>
> What do you think of the possibilities of manufacturing
> trash barrels and trash bags in bright yellow, with warnings
> written all over them:
>
> "DANGER, radioactive waste. Stay clear" or, if you prefer,
> "Hazardous Waste. Toxic to Humans."
>
> I wonder how long it would keep the gleaners out of the trash?
>
> gloria p

mmm, toxic.

your pal,
homer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Wow, now that's something to be proud of. I'm impressed.

> > We don't have any more than that. Two collections a week and two 'tall
> > kitchen' bags a week. Everything else goes to recycling.

> I toss at least 3 kitchen bags of trash a week. I've come to the
> decision that I have to return to recycling mixed paper and hope
> that keeping it out of the trash is worth the gas to drive it to the
> recycle center.
>
> nancy

We are fortunate in that the recycling centre we use most is on our
usual errand route anyway. Can you combine the recycling trip with
another trip?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
> > "Bob Muncie" > wrote
> >> So have you seen the utube of the raccoon using the doggy door to eat the
> >> doggy's food? :-)
> >>

> > No!
> >

> This is one of my favorites, but if you look to the right-side menu,
> you'll see more.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWqb2...eature=related
>
> Bob

There's also a classic video on TV with the raccoon coming through the
dog door and stealing the floor mat next to the door LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Bob Muncie wrote:
>>
>> cybercat wrote:
>> > "Bob Muncie" > wrote
>> >>

>> > No!
>> >

>> This is one of my favorites, but if you look to the right-side menu,
>> you'll see more.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWqb2...eature=related
>>
>> Bob

I missed this somehow, Bob. Very funny.

> There's also a classic video on TV with the raccoon coming through the
> dog door and stealing the floor mat next to the door LOL.

Arri, I want to see this one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

>> There's also a classic video on TV with the raccoon coming through the
>> dog door and stealing the floor mat next to the door LOL.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPDy3nGiP8

Hilarious. I wonder what he thought he was going to do with it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> We don't have any more than that. Two collections a week and two
>>> 'tall kitchen' bags a week. Everything else goes to recycling.

>> I toss at least 3 kitchen bags of trash a week. I've come to the
>> decision that I have to return to recycling mixed paper and hope
>> that keeping it out of the trash is worth the gas to drive it to the
>> recycle center.

> We are fortunate in that the recycling centre we use most is on our
> usual errand route anyway. Can you combine the recycling trip with
> another trip?

I don't really go over there very often, especially during the winter.
It's not a million miles away or anything ... but if I wasn't going that
way it's all gas burned to recycle. No big deal, it's not as if I plan to
go over there every week or anything. I'm sure I can get find some
errand or another to run on the same trip.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 9:43*am, ffu > wrote:
> So talk to your neighbours and get all of them to put the recyclables out early
> in the morning of collection, this will put a stop to the Dodge van people
> (they usually don't like daylight).

My neighbors want to invite them in for tea and scrumpets, it seems.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 9:13*am, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> Neither do the trash collectors care, in fact they'd prefer not having to
> deal with recylables at all, they charge more for collecting trash because
> they are pressured to as part of the deal, do you really think they do that
> high labor job gratis? duh. *If the municipality and those who reside there
> were truly concerned they'd install a deposit law on beverage containers and
> erect collection centers where styrofoam is collected, weighed, and paid
> for... obviously they don't GAF. *Btw, styrofoam is one of the by products
> that's not collected from trash as a recyclable, it's been tried and doesn't
> work, costs more to recycle than it's worth. *Hardly anyone uses styrofoam
> packing pellets anymore, now they use bubble cushioning. *Container depost
> laws ensure that better than 95% of recyclable containers are properly
> disposed of.

Actually, I knew that about styrofoam, the Merc just ran an article
recently. But, I was trying to make a point that those who steal from
recycling bins aren't taking anything but the cream of the crop. Not
newspapers, etc.

Karen