Old 28-07-2009, 11:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easy shortening measuring

I really, really like this measuring cup.

It makes it so easy to measure shortening, mayonnaise or any goopy
"stuff"

I slide the measuring cup just a little, about to the 1/4 cup mark
http://i28.tinypic.com/2uyhcpc.jpg

Then I start filling.
http://i30.tinypic.com/353c9qc.jpg

Gradually sliding the outer sleave up bit by bit, filling as I go.
http://i29.tinypic.com/2k33gm.jpg

Then easy peasy, no fuss no muss, push the plunger to add what you
measured to your recipe.
http://i26.tinypic.com/10z9x5z.jpg

And it is so easy to wash. I think I need two of these.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Old 29-07-2009, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 28 Jul 2009 03:44:18p, koko told us...

I really, really like this measuring cup.

It makes it so easy to measure shortening, mayonnaise or any goopy
"stuff"

I slide the measuring cup just a little, about to the 1/4 cup mark
http://i28.tinypic.com/2uyhcpc.jpg

Then I start filling.
http://i30.tinypic.com/353c9qc.jpg

Gradually sliding the outer sleave up bit by bit, filling as I go.
http://i29.tinypic.com/2k33gm.jpg

Then easy peasy, no fuss no muss, push the plunger to add what you
measured to your recipe.
http://i26.tinypic.com/10z9x5z.jpg

And it is so easy to wash. I think I need two of these.

koko

I considered a cup like that, but decided I'd rather weigh those types of
ingredients on a piece of plastic wrap. No packing of ingredients, no
cleanup at all.

--
Wayne Boatwright
An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable

Old 29-07-2009, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" wrote in message

I really, really like this measuring cup.

It makes it so easy to measure shortening

Why did my mother put water in the measuring cup with the shortening?

Old 29-07-2009, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" wrote in message

I really, really like this measuring cup.

It makes it so easy to measure shortening, mayonnaise or any goopy
"stuff"

I slide the measuring cup just a little, about to the 1/4 cup mark
http://i28.tinypic.com/2uyhcpc.jpg
Then I start filling.
http://i30.tinypic.com/353c9qc.jpg
Gradually sliding the outer sleave up bit by bit, filling as I go.
http://i29.tinypic.com/2k33gm.jpg
Then easy peasy, no fuss no muss, push the plunger to add what you
measured to your recipe.
http://i26.tinypic.com/10z9x5z.jpg

And it is so easy to wash. I think I need two of these.

koko

Of course you need two! I have a one-cupper and a two-cupper but they're
only yellow plastic. Yours are much more elegant!

Felice

Old 29-07-2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
"koko" wrote in message
I really, really like this measuring cup.

It makes it so easy to measure shortening

Why did my mother put water in the measuring cup with the shortening?

Your mother probably put a cup of water and then added shortening until
it displaced the measurement by the amount she needed. It's a tricky way
of measuring the stuff. Good for her.

Personally, I think that shortening should be sold in giant syringes
with graduated markings on the side. Of course I can't use the stuff
myself. :-)

Old 29-07-2009, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Besides their cans, Crisco also packages shortening in 1 pound boxes
containing 1/4 pound sticks with markings by tablespoon, just like both
butter and margarine. Albeit, it's a bit more expensive to buy it that
way, it does solve the problem for those who have issues with measuring it.

I used the displaced water method from the time I began using shortening,
as it was described in the first cookbook I ever bought, The Good
Housekeeping Cookbook, circa 1963. I switched from that method to weighing
it on plastic wrap after I bought a digital electronic scale.

A digital scale is probably the most rational solution. OTOH, when I
used to make biscuits, I'd just dump in the shortening until it looked
about right - I'd have to do this anyway since I didn't measure out the
flour either. Once you get the hang of it, one could cook up a batch
real fast. :-)
Old 29-07-2009, 04:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 28 Jul 2009 07:48:33p, dsi1 told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Yes, for biscuits and pie crusts I can do that, but there are other recipes
that require more precision.

--
Wayne Boatwright
The more you eat, the less flavor; the less you eat, the more

Old 29-07-2009, 06:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Yes, for biscuits and pie crusts I can do that, but there are other recipes
that require more precision.

Well, if I was a bit more organized and cooked more and used recipes, a
digital scale would be a great tool. I'm cooking a chicken right now and
I'm using one of those digital meat thermometer thingies that my wife
got me, it's a great tool too!
Old 29-07-2009, 06:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 28 Jul 2009 10:04:04p, dsi1 told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Yes, for biscuits and pie crusts I can do that, but there are other
recipes that require more precision.

Well, if I was a bit more organized and cooked more and used recipes, a
digital scale would be a great tool. I'm cooking a chicken right now and
I'm using one of those digital meat thermometer thingies that my wife
got me, it's a great tool too!

For most cooking, if I use a recipe it's for a jumping off point. I
eyeball most things, especially seasonings. However, much of baking is a
fairly precise chemical balance of ingredients and I either weigh or
measure carefully all meaningful ingredients to produce the desired
results. The amounts of flour, sugar, eggs, fat, liquid, etc., are
formulated to a precise balance. I find that pastries and yeast doughs
allow for far more variances. The only digintal thermometer I have is of
the "instant read" type, but it's indispensible for many applications
including testing breads for doneness.

Having said that, when I've developed and tweaked a recipe to exactly my
liking, I enter the ingredients and amounts in a recipe database so that I
can reproduce it again exactly.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his

Old 29-07-2009, 08:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" ha scritto nel messaggio
, koko told us...

It makes it so easy to measure shortening, mayonnaise or any goopy
"stuff"

I considered a cup like that, but decided I'd rather weigh those types of
ingredients on a piece of plastic wrap. No packing of ingredients, no

cleanup at all.

Absolutely correct and if anyone deserves a nice digital scale, it is Koko.

Old 29-07-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

No matter how many times I would measure shortening, it always felt
awkward. Measuring shortening has always been a drag for me.

Actually, it would probably be more practical to just sell shortening in
tubes with graduated markings that one could use a standard hardware
caulking gun to dispense. Just make sure you don't mix-up your tubes! :-)

I've seen shortening sold in stick form, like butter, complete with wrapper
markings on it which purport to show the volume of the shortening. Of
course, if the wrapper's "zero point" isn't the actual end of the stick,
that measurement will be wrong.

Bob

But it is easy enough to compensate for that!

--
Jean B.
Old 29-07-2009, 03:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
I remember HomeEc LOL. I only remember cutting on the bias and sewing
an A line denim skirt. Not sure why I thought that prepared me to make
my own maternity bathing suit, but I did. I was an early preggers (16)
and back then the maternity bathing suits were ugly. I made a bright
yellow suit I guess you'd call a tankini now and the whole thing fell
apart the first time I wore it at the beach at about 7 months pregnant.

Oh no! I hated home ec, both the cooking (much too basic for me)
and the sewing (I have always hated sewing). I am really glad I
made a shift and not a bathing suit.

--
Jean B.
Old 29-07-2009, 05:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

No matter how many times I would measure shortening, it always felt
awkward. Measuring shortening has always been a drag for me.

Actually, it would probably be more practical to just sell shortening in
tubes with graduated markings that one could use a standard hardware
caulking gun to dispense. Just make sure you don't mix-up your tubes! :-)

I've seen shortening sold in stick form, like butter, complete with wrapper
markings on it which purport to show the volume of the shortening. Of
course, if the wrapper's "zero point" isn't the actual end of the stick,
that measurement will be wrong.

Stick form like butter? ..... like in 1 lb, blocks or in 1/4 lb.
sticks? it is rare enough to see butter sold in 1/4 pound sticks here.
I can get shortening in 1 lb. blocks or in 3 pound pails. For some
reason, it is actually more expensive to buy it in 3 lb. pails so I
buy th 1 lb. blocks, and I slice the shortening. I used to use the guide
on the edge of the box flap but now I just eyeball it.
Old 29-07-2009, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:28:28 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Jul 28, 5:44*pm, koko wrote:
I really, really like this measuring cup.

It makes it so easy to measure shortening, mayonnaise or any goopy
"stuff"

I slide the measuring cup just a little, about to the 1/4 cup
markhttp://i28.tinypic.com/2uyhcpc.jpg

If the person reading the post clicks on your link, and gets that you
are using non-hydrogenated, I assume palm oil shortening, fine, but
you are one of the better cooks around here, and it would be nice if
you pointed out (specified) that you were using a non-hydrogenated
product.

dear god.

blake
Old 30-07-2009, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:51:02 +0200, "Giusi"
wrote:

"Wayne Boatwright" ha scritto nel messaggio
, koko told us...

It makes it so easy to measure shortening, mayonnaise or any goopy
"stuff"

I considered a cup like that, but decided I'd rather weigh those types of
ingredients on a piece of plastic wrap. No packing of ingredients, no

cleanup at all.

Absolutely correct and if anyone deserves a nice digital scale, it is Koko.

Oh, thank you Giusi, what a nice thing to say.

koko