Old 24-07-2009, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT-Ever have the taste of beer change?

They say that tastes change as you get older...

For some reason, over the last few months beer has been tasting too
'malty' or too 'sweet'. I would take a sip and have to do the 'cough
and shake' as if I'd just drank a cup of liquid caramel or swallowed a
whole cadbury egg. So naturally I started moving from maltier beers
(Sam Adams, various local micros) to lighter, paler ales. I still
like the hops, but even Sierra Nevada IPA got to be too malty. Now
I'm at the end of the rope, and I can't drink more than a single
Leinenkugel HoneyWeiss. You can't get much lighter than this.

It hasn't even been that hot lately... we've had highs in the upper
60s and 70s, and I haven't turned on my AC yet this year.

Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
drink beer anymore?

Thanks.

-John W.

Old 24-07-2009, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 12:07*pm, Silent Stone wrote:
They say that tastes change as you get older...

[snip]

Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
drink beer anymore?

STOP IT! You're scaring me.

Thanks.

-John W.

--Bryan
Old 24-07-2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:07:02 -0700 (PDT), Silent Stone wrote:

They say that tastes change as you get older...

For some reason, over the last few months beer has been tasting too
'malty' or too 'sweet'. I would take a sip and have to do the 'cough
and shake' as if I'd just drank a cup of liquid caramel or swallowed a
whole cadbury egg. So naturally I started moving from maltier beers
(Sam Adams, various local micros) to lighter, paler ales. I still
like the hops, but even Sierra Nevada IPA got to be too malty. Now
I'm at the end of the rope, and I can't drink more than a single
Leinenkugel HoneyWeiss. You can't get much lighter than this.

It hasn't even been that hot lately... we've had highs in the upper
60s and 70s, and I haven't turned on my AC yet this year.

Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
drink beer anymore?

dear god, i hope not.

your pal,
blaek
Old 24-07-2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silent Stone" wrote in message
Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
drink beer anymore?

Yes, but you pee just as often.

Old 24-07-2009, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Silent Stone wrote:

They say that tastes change as you get older...

For some reason, over the last few months beer has been tasting too
'malty' or too 'sweet'. I would take a sip and have to do the 'cough
and shake' as if I'd just drank a cup of liquid caramel or swallowed a
whole cadbury egg. So naturally I started moving from maltier beers
(Sam Adams, various local micros) to lighter, paler ales.

Often people prefer less sweet beverages as they get older.
Often many beers taste cloying to me these days. So I don't
think you're alone.

It's possible for a good English ale to be malty without
being sweet-ish. If you can find St. Peters (either the
Organic Ale or Golden Ale) in bottles, you might like it.
(It's unusually expensive, but worth it IMO.)

Steve

Old 24-07-2009, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:07:02 -0700 (PDT), Silent Stone
wrote:

Well, yes and no, because beer possesses certain
flavor elements that, through the effects of age, may
be more or less perceived by trhe drinker.

That said, it is common knowledge (see Shakespeare)
that the ability to taste and smell decreases with age.
Now THAT said, there is another effect that is related,
I think. When I was young, I was nauseated to vomiting
by the odor of sauteeing mushrooms.

I am near 70 now, and can sautee mushrooms and
eat those little suckers without a problem.

One explanation is that I was able, in my youth, to
perceive a certain chemical that was offensive to me,
and precipitated the vomiting. I argue that I have lost
the ability to perceive that unknown chemical, and I can,
at this age, eat mushrooms all day long.

Short answer: Yes. One can lose the ability to detect
certain offensive and pleasant things. Tastes change.
You can rail against it, or live with it.

(Don't mess with Mother Nature!)

My suggestion? Grow old gracefully. Your old Malt is
no longer satisfying? Find out what is! Explore. You
enjoyed certain things in their time, and now you can
move to new horizons. Go for it, ma' fren'.

Alex

Old 24-07-2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:45:13 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Silent Stone" wrote in message
Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
drink beer anymore?

Yes, but you pee just as often.

Ed, you just crack me up! Is that answer due to a switch in
libation, or just BPH? G

Alex, spitting martini all over his keyboard.

SoKay, Ed. I'll bill you for the keyboard.
Old 24-07-2009, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Silent Stone said...

They say that tastes change as you get older...

For some reason, over the last few months beer has been tasting too
'malty' or too 'sweet'. I would take a sip and have to do the 'cough
and shake' as if I'd just drank a cup of liquid caramel or swallowed a
whole cadbury egg. So naturally I started moving from maltier beers
(Sam Adams, various local micros) to lighter, paler ales. I still
like the hops, but even Sierra Nevada IPA got to be too malty. Now
I'm at the end of the rope, and I can't drink more than a single
Leinenkugel HoneyWeiss. You can't get much lighter than this.

Could it be they've changed the recipe or aging (a sign of the times) to
cut costs?

But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
labeling it Bud Water.

"Same as it ever was."

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Old 24-07-2009, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy wrote:

But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
labeling it Bud Water.

"Same as it ever was."

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.

You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

Old 24-07-2009, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown said...

On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy wrote:

But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
labeling it Bud Water.

"Same as it ever was."

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.

You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

Maybe I should.

I enjoy Mickey's once in a blue moon but that stuff goes down like water
and kicks like a mule!!! @)

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.

Old 24-07-2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 2:34*pm, Andy wrote:
Chemo the Clown said...

On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy wrote:

But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
labeling it Bud Water.

"Same as it ever was."

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.

You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

Maybe I should.

I enjoy Mickey's once in a blue moon but that stuff goes down like water
and kicks like a mule!!! @)

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.

Yep...Mickey's is a kiss a$$ beer. Big mouth bottles so you can gulp
it down. I could never get more than 4 down.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Chemo the Clown wrote:

You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

Funny thing about Busch, it wasn't the original name for that beer when
it was being developed. August Busch Jr. had purchased the StL
Cardinals and wanted to rename Sportman's Park to Budweiser Field. But
the National League would not allow any stadiums after products. So he
named it after himself - Busch Stadium, and dubbed the then under
construction stadium in memory of his father August Sr., Busch Memorial
Stadium.

The new stadium was completed, the team moved in, and right after that,
AB announced the launch of a new beer, Busch Beer.

Yes, back then, the members of the National Leagues Owners Association
did not like the idea of naming stadiums after products or corporations.
They accepted Busch Stadium, only because the team owner was Mr. Busch.
And they were hopping mad at the launch of Busch Beer. Wonder how they
would feel today about MLB's attitude towards naming stadiums?

jt
Old 25-07-2009, 02:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jt august said...

They accepted Busch Stadium, only because the team owner was Mr. Busch.
And they were hopping mad at the launch of Busch Beer.

A strategic and shrewd move on his part!!! LOL!!!

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Old 25-07-2009, 02:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 4:04*pm, Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy wrote:

But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
labeling it Bud Water.

"Same as it ever was."

Andy

You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

That's not a move up. Busch is just as bad, and Keystone is even
worse. He could save some money though. Out of those three shitty
beers, one has a built-in advertising cost, Bud Light.

--Bryan
Old 25-07-2009, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy wrote:

But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
labeling it Bud Water.

"Same as it ever was."

Andy

You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

That's not a move up. *Busch is just as bad, and Keystone is even
worse. *He could save some money though. *Out of those three shitty
beers, one has a built-in advertising cost, Bud Light.

--Bryan

I was kidding....sheesh! Give me a German beer anytime!