Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT-Ever have the taste of beer change?

They say that tastes change as you get older...

For some reason, over the last few months beer has been tasting too
'malty' or too 'sweet'. I would take a sip and have to do the 'cough
and shake' as if I'd just drank a cup of liquid caramel or swallowed a
whole cadbury egg. So naturally I started moving from maltier beers
(Sam Adams, various local micros) to lighter, paler ales. I still
like the hops, but even Sierra Nevada IPA got to be too malty. Now
I'm at the end of the rope, and I can't drink more than a single
Leinenkugel HoneyWeiss. You can't get much lighter than this.

It hasn't even been that hot lately... we've had highs in the upper
60s and 70s, and I haven't turned on my AC yet this year.

Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
drink beer anymore?

Thanks.

-John W.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 12:07*pm, Silent Stone > wrote:
> They say that tastes change as you get older...

[snip]

> Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
> drink beer anymore?

STOP IT! You're scaring me.

> Thanks.
>
> -John W.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:07:02 -0700 (PDT), Silent Stone wrote:

> They say that tastes change as you get older...
>
> For some reason, over the last few months beer has been tasting too
> 'malty' or too 'sweet'. I would take a sip and have to do the 'cough
> and shake' as if I'd just drank a cup of liquid caramel or swallowed a
> whole cadbury egg. So naturally I started moving from maltier beers
> (Sam Adams, various local micros) to lighter, paler ales. I still
> like the hops, but even Sierra Nevada IPA got to be too malty. Now
> I'm at the end of the rope, and I can't drink more than a single
> Leinenkugel HoneyWeiss. You can't get much lighter than this.
>
> It hasn't even been that hot lately... we've had highs in the upper
> 60s and 70s, and I haven't turned on my AC yet this year.
>
> Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
> drink beer anymore?

dear god, i hope not.

your pal,
blaek
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silent Stone" > wrote in message >
> Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
> drink beer anymore?

Yes, but you pee just as often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silent Stone > wrote:

>They say that tastes change as you get older...

>For some reason, over the last few months beer has been tasting too
>'malty' or too 'sweet'. I would take a sip and have to do the 'cough
>and shake' as if I'd just drank a cup of liquid caramel or swallowed a
>whole cadbury egg. So naturally I started moving from maltier beers
>(Sam Adams, various local micros) to lighter, paler ales.

Often people prefer less sweet beverages as they get older.
Often many beers taste cloying to me these days. So I don't
think you're alone.

It's possible for a good English ale to be malty without
being sweet-ish. If you can find St. Peters (either the
Organic Ale or Golden Ale) in bottles, you might like it.
(It's unusually expensive, but worth it IMO.)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:07:02 -0700 (PDT), Silent Stone
> wrote:

Well, yes and no, because beer possesses certain
flavor elements that, through the effects of age, may
be more or less perceived by trhe drinker.

That said, it is common knowledge (see Shakespeare)
that the ability to taste and smell decreases with age.
Now THAT said, there is another effect that is related,
I think. When I was young, I was nauseated to vomiting
by the odor of sauteeing mushrooms.

I am near 70 now, and can sautee mushrooms and
eat those little suckers without a problem.

One explanation is that I was able, in my youth, to
perceive a certain chemical that was offensive to me,
and precipitated the vomiting. I argue that I have lost
the ability to perceive that unknown chemical, and I can,
at this age, eat mushrooms all day long.

Short answer: Yes. One can lose the ability to detect
certain offensive and pleasant things. Tastes change.
You can rail against it, or live with it.

(Don't mess with Mother Nature!)

My suggestion? Grow old gracefully. Your old Malt is
no longer satisfying? Find out what is! Explore. You
enjoyed certain things in their time, and now you can
move to new horizons. Go for it, ma' fren'.

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:45:13 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Silent Stone" > wrote in message >
>> Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
>> drink beer anymore?
>>

>Yes, but you pee just as often.

Ed, you just crack me up! Is that answer due to a switch in
libation, or just BPH? <G>

Alex, spitting martini all over his keyboard.

SoKay, Ed. I'll bill you for the keyboard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silent Stone said...

> They say that tastes change as you get older...
>
> For some reason, over the last few months beer has been tasting too
> 'malty' or too 'sweet'. I would take a sip and have to do the 'cough
> and shake' as if I'd just drank a cup of liquid caramel or swallowed a
> whole cadbury egg. So naturally I started moving from maltier beers
> (Sam Adams, various local micros) to lighter, paler ales. I still
> like the hops, but even Sierra Nevada IPA got to be too malty. Now
> I'm at the end of the rope, and I can't drink more than a single
> Leinenkugel HoneyWeiss. You can't get much lighter than this.

Could it be they've changed the recipe or aging (a sign of the times) to
cut costs?

But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
labeling it Bud Water.

"Same as it ever was."

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:

> But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
> labeling it Bud Water.
>
> "Same as it ever was."
>
> Andy
> --
> I'm no longer a danger to society.

You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown said...

> On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:
>

>> But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
>> labeling it Bud Water.
>>
>> "Same as it ever was."
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> I'm no longer a danger to society.

> You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

Maybe I should.

I enjoy Mickey's once in a blue moon but that stuff goes down like water
and kicks like a mule!!! @)

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 2:34*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Chemo the Clown said...
>
> > On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:

> >> But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
> >> labeling it Bud Water.

> >> "Same as it ever was."

> >> Andy
> >> --
> >> I'm no longer a danger to society.

> > You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

> Maybe I should.
>
> I enjoy Mickey's once in a blue moon but that stuff goes down like water
> and kicks like a mule!!! @)
>
> Andy
> --
> I'm no longer a danger to society.

Yep...Mickey's is a kiss a$$ beer. Big mouth bottles so you can gulp
it down. I could never get more than 4 down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

Funny thing about Busch, it wasn't the original name for that beer when
it was being developed. August Busch Jr. had purchased the StL
Cardinals and wanted to rename Sportman's Park to Budweiser Field. But
the National League would not allow any stadiums after products. So he
named it after himself - Busch Stadium, and dubbed the then under
construction stadium in memory of his father August Sr., Busch Memorial
Stadium.

The new stadium was completed, the team moved in, and right after that,
AB announced the launch of a new beer, Busch Beer.

Yes, back then, the members of the National Leagues Owners Association
did not like the idea of naming stadiums after products or corporations.
They accepted Busch Stadium, only because the team owner was Mr. Busch.
And they were hopping mad at the launch of Busch Beer. Wonder how they
would feel today about MLB's attitude towards naming stadiums?

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jt august said...

> They accepted Busch Stadium, only because the team owner was Mr. Busch.
> And they were hopping mad at the launch of Busch Beer.

A strategic and shrewd move on his part!!! LOL!!!

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 4:04*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:
>

> > But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
> > labeling it Bud Water.

> > "Same as it ever was."

> > Andy

> You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

That's not a move up. Busch is just as bad, and Keystone is even
worse. He could save some money though. Out of those three shitty
beers, one has a built-in advertising cost, Bud Light.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 6:59*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On Jul 24, 4:04*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>
> > On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:

> > > But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
> > > labeling it Bud Water.

> > > "Same as it ever was."

> > > Andy

> > You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

> That's not a move up. *Busch is just as bad, and Keystone is even
> worse. *He could save some money though. *Out of those three shitty
> beers, one has a built-in advertising cost, Bud Light.
>
> --Bryan

I was kidding....sheesh! Give me a German beer anytime!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:47:38 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Jul 24, 2:34*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Chemo the Clown said...

>Yep...Mickey's is a kiss a$$ beer. Big mouth bottles so you can gulp
>it down. I could never get more than 4 down.

I was in Prague last year. SWMBO discovered draught Pilsner Urquell,
I discovered draught Gambrinus. At one lunch, I put down 1.5 litres,
and wanted another 1/2 (but was restrained by SWMBO). I am not a beer
drinker. Most American beer is swill, but I seek out microbrewery
IPA's. Czech beer rules, in Spades! I'm going back there and a beer
tour is in my mind.

Alex, relishing Prague Ham and Gambrinus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:04:29 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:
>

>> But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
>> labeling it Bud Water.
>>
>> "Same as it ever was."
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> I'm no longer a danger to society.

>You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

Busch "Bavarian" is a beer based on corn. There are
others, all about equivalent. They are useful in the
making of Texas chili, because the corn flavor carries
into the meat. For drinking? You can do better.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:15:55 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Jul 24, 6:59*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>> On Jul 24, 4:04*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>>
>> > On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:

>I was kidding....sheesh! Give me a German beer anytime!

Why, man? The Germans learned it from the Czechs.

Go to the source.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:25:51 -0500, Chemiker
> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:04:29 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:
>>

>Busch "Bavarian" is a beer based on corn. There are
>others, all about equivalent. They are useful in the
>making of Texas chili, because the corn flavor carries
>into the meat. For drinking? You can do better.

Oh, damn! I just merged a beer thread with a chili thread.
I'm toast!

OK, I'm sorry.

Alex, letting the games begin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:45:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Silent Stone" > wrote in message >
>> Is it possible that you reach a certain age to where you just can't
>> drink beer anymore?
>>

> Yes, but you pee just as often.

and in the middle of the night.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On Jul 24, 6:59*pm, Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> >>You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

> >That's not a move up. *Busch is just as bad, and Keystone is even
> >worse. *He could save some money though. *Out of those three shitty
> >beers, one has a built-in advertising cost, Bud Light.
> >
> >--Bryan

> I was kidding....sheesh! Give me a German beer anytime!

I was schocked, just schocked i tell's ya, the first time i tried a
local micro-brewery's 'wheat beer' it took me right back to my German
grand fathers home brew.

Though recently i have become addicted to a local version of the
Belgian Raspberry Beer, potent stuff though, one pint is enough to casue
me to begin to recite 19th century English mystical poetry.

Io Pan!

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >>Chemo the Clown said...

> >Yep...Mickey's is a kiss a$$ beer. Big mouth bottles so you can gulp
> >it down. I could never get more than 4 down.

Its my domestic beer of choice. Corner grocery carries it and its
reasonably priced.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:02:57 -0700, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq."
> wrote:

>I was schocked, just schocked i tell's ya, the first time i tried a
>local micro-brewery's 'wheat beer' it took me right back to my German
>grand fathers home brew.
>
>Though recently i have become addicted to a local version of the
>Belgian Raspberry Beer, potent stuff though, one pint is enough to casue
>me to begin to recite 19th century English mystical poetry.

True, true! The Belgians have a *way* with beer. While the Czechs
would not think of adding *STUFF* to the malt, the Belgie do it with
style and the world is better for it, I think.

Alex, who's never drunk a Belgian beer he didn't like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote:

> Though recently i have become addicted to a local version of the
> Belgian Raspberry Beer, potent stuff though, one pint is enough to casue
> me to begin to recite 19th century English mystical poetry.

You have me curious where you are? In St. Charles, a local Microbrewery
called Trailhead Brewing Company makes a Raspberry brew I am fond of,
and like yours, theirs has some kick on a good batch. They also make a
Pumpkin Beer every fall that is annually their best selling seasonal.
At least three competing breweries took notice and now make their own,
including AB (AB/InBev). Yes, their research department noticed the
success of the three microbrews, and have specifically acknowledged
Trailhead.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker > wrote:

> Why, man? The Germans learned it from the Czechs.

You mean specifically pilsner - and you are still mistaken.

> Go to the source.

The source of the knowledge and technique is Bavarian and English. The
first pilsner was brewed in 1842 in Pilsen, at the Plzensky Prazdroj
(Pilsner Urquell) brewery by the Bavarian-born brewer Josef Grolle,
using a bottom-fermenting lager yeast from Munich smuggled in by a
Bavarian monk. Grolle employed some techniques first used just a year
before in the Bavarian Märzen Oktoberfest beer, combining them with the
techniques used in brewing English pale ales which he learnt in England.
He also had his own genius to rely upon and made the malt paler still.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jt august wrote:

> In article >,
> "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." wrote:
>

> >Though recently i have become addicted to a local version of the
> >Belgian Raspberry Beer, potent stuff though, one pint is enough to casue
> >me to begin to recite 19th century English mystical poetry.

> You have me curious where you are?

http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

> In St. Charles, a local Microbrewery
> called Trailhead Brewing Company makes a Raspberry brew I am fond of,
> and like yours, theirs has some kick on a good batch. They also make a
> Pumpkin Beer every fall that is annually their best selling seasonal.

That does sound intriguing, but do they add nutmeg and all spice?

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:04:29 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:
>
> >On Jul 24, 1:47�pm, Andy > wrote:
> >

> >> But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
> >> labeling it Bud Water.
> >>
> >> "Same as it ever was."
> >>
> >> Andy
> >> --
> >> I'm no longer a danger to society.

> >You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

> Busch "Bavarian" is a beer based on corn. There are
> others, all about equivalent. They are useful in the
> making of Texas chili, because the corn flavor carries
> into the meat. For drinking? You can do better.
>
> Alex

Beer, does not belong in chili. Massive amounts of efforts to make the
chili good are overcome by the beer.

Beer, or whatever you call it, does not belong in chili. However,
chili pepper beer, may work, but I doubt it.

You know OUZO, I think it's called, make OUZO, destroy chili just as
easily by adding it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > >Yep...Mickey's is a kiss a$$ beer. Big mouth bottles so you can gulp
> > >it down. I could never get more than 4 down.

> Its my domestic beer of choice. Corner grocery carries it and its
> reasonably priced.

SKUNK ****, always has a skunky taste, not necessarily bad, Olde
English, for malt liquor, skunky but better IMO.

ICE800 is OK.

Used to see the industrial sized 64oz sizes of OLD english. herr, if
you drank a full one
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 7:01*pm, jt august > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote:
>
> > Though recently i have become addicted to a local version *of the
> > Belgian Raspberry Beer, potent stuff though, one pint is enough to casue
> > me to begin to recite 19th century English mystical poetry.

> You have me curious where you are? *In St. Charles, a local Microbrewery
> called Trailhead Brewing Company makes a Raspberry brew I am fond of,
> and like yours, theirs has some kick on a good batch. *They also make a
> Pumpkin Beer every fall that is annually their best selling seasonal. *
> At least three competing breweries took notice and now make their own,
> including AB (AB/InBev). *Yes, their research department noticed the
> success of the three microbrews, and have specifically acknowledged
> Trailhead.

Have you ever heard the alt-country band called Trailhead? If you
like that genre, I could send you a couple of mp3s.

> jt

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:47:38 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jul 24, 2:34 pm, Andy > wrote:
>>> Chemo the Clown said...

>> Yep...Mickey's is a kiss a$$ beer. Big mouth bottles so you can gulp
>> it down. I could never get more than 4 down.

> I was in Prague last year. SWMBO discovered draught Pilsner Urquell,
> I discovered draught Gambrinus. At one lunch, I put down 1.5 litres,
> and wanted another 1/2 (but was restrained by SWMBO). I am not a beer
> drinker. Most American beer is swill, but I seek out microbrewery
> IPA's. Czech beer rules, in Spades! I'm going back there and a beer
> tour is in my mind.
>
> Alex, relishing Prague Ham and Gambrinus.

Careful with the Gambrinus - there are several breweries making a beer
under that name. Gambrinus can't be trademarked because St.Gambrinus
is the patron saint of the brewers.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I lost my taste for beer years ago. There was a time when I drank a LOT of
beer, then the pendulum went the other way and I went for over 5 years
without drinking anything at all. After that, when I did try a beer, it
tasted like crap. Every once in a while I'll be in a restaurant (especially
a micro-brew place) and decide to try a taste... and the results are the
same. It all tastes bad.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote:

> > In St. Charles, a local Microbrewery
> > called Trailhead Brewing Company makes a Raspberry brew I am fond of,
> > and like yours, theirs has some kick on a good batch. They also make a
> > Pumpkin Beer every fall that is annually their best selling seasonal.

> That does sound intriguing, but do they add nutmeg and all spice?

Actually, cinnamon and allspice. Added during the ice filtering process.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"George Leppla" > wrote:

> I lost my taste for beer years ago. There was a time when I drank a LOT of
> beer, then the pendulum went the other way and I went for over 5 years
> without drinking anything at all. After that, when I did try a beer, it
> tasted like crap. Every once in a while I'll be in a restaurant (especially
> a micro-brew place) and decide to try a taste... and the results are the
> same. It all tastes bad.

Garrison Keillor did a monologue on this many, many moons ago. He was
talking about how when he was young, he hated beer. It tasted awful. I
tasted like someone had died in it. He also thought when he was young
that he would never leave Minnesota. He thought that leaving Minnesota
would be a form of killing himself. Then one day, when he had grown up,
he had a beer and decided to leave Minnesota.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner said...

> Careful with the Gambrinus - there are several breweries making a beer
> under that name. Gambrinus can't be trademarked because St.Gambrinus
> is the patron saint of the brewers.

Now there's an unusual fact that will stay with me from now until forever or
Alzheimer's, whichever comes first!

Patron saint of brewers! Who else knew? ;-)

Thanks,

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 11:25*am, Chemiker > wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:04:29 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>
> > wrote:
> >On Jul 24, 1:47*pm, Andy > wrote:

> >> But then I drink Bud Light. There's not much they can cut without re-
> >> labeling it Bud Water.

> >> "Same as it ever was."

> >> Andy
> >> --
> >> I'm no longer a danger to society.

> >You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

> Busch "Bavarian" is a beer based on corn.

That stuff is awful. It barely tastes like beer at all. Which reminds
me of a joke.

You know why drinking Coors Light is like having sex on a boat?

They're both ****ing close to water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms said...

> On Jul 25, 11:25*am, Chemiker > wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:04:29 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >You should move up to Keystone or Busch.

>> Busch "Bavarian" is a beer based on corn.

> That stuff is awful. It barely tastes like beer at all. Which reminds
> me of a joke.
>
> You know why drinking Coors Light is like having sex on a boat?
>
> They're both ****ing close to water.

LOL!

I've been told, so don't quote me on this, that every July 4th the locals
gather to **** in the Colorado river just upstream from the Coors brewery.
Word has it, by the time it goes through treatment and filtration there's
no trace. ****water in your face!!! It's a funny gesture nonetheless, imho.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:01:28 -0500, jt august wrote:

> In article >,
> "George Leppla" > wrote:
>
>> I lost my taste for beer years ago. There was a time when I drank a LOT of
>> beer, then the pendulum went the other way and I went for over 5 years
>> without drinking anything at all. After that, when I did try a beer, it
>> tasted like crap. Every once in a while I'll be in a restaurant (especially
>> a micro-brew place) and decide to try a taste... and the results are the
>> same. It all tastes bad.

> Garrison Keillor did a monologue on this many, many moons ago. He was
> talking about how when he was young, he hated beer. It tasted awful. I
> tasted like someone had died in it. He also thought when he was young
> that he would never leave Minnesota. He thought that leaving Minnesota
> would be a form of killing himself. Then one day, when he had grown up,
> he had a beer and decided to leave Minnesota.
>
> jt

<snort>

your pal,
blake