FoodBanter.com

-   -   Breakfast today (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/174879-breakfast-today.html)

ViLco 23-07-2009 08:34 AM

Breakfast today

A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg

What do you call those where you live?
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Giusi 23-07-2009 08:45 AM

Breakfast today

"ViLco" ha scritto nel messaggio

>A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg

> What do you call those where you live?
> --
> Vilco

Bombolone ripiene di crema pasticciera
We also call them "buone!"

ViLco 23-07-2009 08:45 AM

Breakfast today

Giusi wrote:

>> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.

> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>
>> What do you call those where you live?

> Bombolone ripiene di crema pasticciera

LOL!! Me too ;)

> We also call them "buone!"

LOL again ;)

Fred[_11_] 23-07-2009 09:09 AM

Breakfast today

It's a custard doughnut, you stupid ****.

ViLco 23-07-2009 10:08 AM

Breakfast today

Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.

>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>>
>>> What do you call those where you live?

>> Bombolone ripiene di crema pasticciera
>> We also call them "buone!"

> Looks like a donut with custard in it, from here in the US.

Yep ;)

ViLco 23-07-2009 10:15 AM

Breakfast today

Fred wrote:

> It's a custard doughnut, you stupid ****.

Shove a dozen up yours, sir

Miche[_3_] 23-07-2009 11:09 AM

Breakfast today

In article >,
"ViLco" > wrote:

> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
> What do you call those where you live?

I'm pretty sure we don't have them.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Kajikit[_2_] 23-07-2009 12:14 PM

Breakfast today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:34:56 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:

>A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
>http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
>What do you call those where you live?

It looks like some kind of custard donut... and boy does it look GOOD!

Marissa Edwards 23-07-2009 01:30 PM

Breakfast today

On Jul 23, 5:34*pm, "ViLco" > wrote:
> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
> What do you call those where you live?
> --
> * Vilco
> Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
> qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Erm, I'd call it a custard doughnut too... and I want one! :-)

--
Marissa Edwards

Purr Loin 23-07-2009 02:31 PM

Breakfast today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:09:04 +0000 (UTC), Fred wrote:

> ViLco wrote:
>
>> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>>
>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>
>> What do you call those where you live?

> It's a custard doughnut, you stupid ****.

For those of you with the ability to killfile by Message-ID, add
*alt.net and you won't miss a thing. I just renewed mine after this
latest asshole appeared and reminded me.

-pl

Steve[_40_] 23-07-2009 02:36 PM

Breakfast today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:31:57 -0500, Purr Loin >
wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:09:04 +0000 (UTC), Fred wrote:
>
>> ViLco wrote:
>>
>>> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>>>
>>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>>
>>> What do you call those where you live?

>> It's a custard doughnut, you stupid ****.

>For those of you with the ability to killfile by Message-ID, add
>*alt.net and you won't miss a thing. I just renewed mine after this
>latest asshole appeared and reminded me.
>
>-pl

And add anything posted by the Mike Reid troll.

Greg[_6_] 23-07-2009 02:47 PM

Breakfast today

ff****ing netKKKop.

Lou Decruss[_3_] 23-07-2009 03:05 PM

Breakfast today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:34:56 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:

>A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
>http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
>What do you call those where you live?

Custard Bismarck. They're also good topped with chocolate.

Lou

notbob 23-07-2009 03:11 PM

Breakfast today

On 2009-07-23, Lou Decruss > wrote:

> Custard Bismarck. They're also good topped with chocolate.

Geez, whatta weird name. Why not call it a Custard Bismark Waterloo and
give it a 300 hundred Trojan topping.

nb

Lou Decruss[_3_] 23-07-2009 03:11 PM

Breakfast today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:05:30 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:34:56 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:
>
>>A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>>
>>http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>
>>What do you call those where you live?

>Custard Bismarck. They're also good topped with chocolate.
>
>Lou

To rudely respond to my own post. Polish people call them Paczki.
They're a traditional fat Tuesday item.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki

Lou

Tracy[_2_] 23-07-2009 03:31 PM

Breakfast today

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:45:07 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
>> "ViLco" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.

>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>> What do you call those where you live?
>>> --
>>> Vilco

>> Bombolone ripiene di crema pasticciera
>> We also call them "buone!"
>>

> Looks like a donut with custard in it, from here in the US.
>
> Christine, getting ready to head into work for an extra 4 hours.

Sort of funny story. My husband is from Morocco and he tells this great
story about how after having been in the US for about ten years, he
looked forward to going home to enjoy a pastry he fondly recalled. When
he finally got to the bakery he realized that the pastry he had been
dreaming about was a donut. A plain 'ole donut.
;-)

Tracy

ViLco 23-07-2009 03:38 PM

Breakfast today

Lou Decruss wrote:

> To rudely respond to my own post. Polish people call them Paczki.
> They're a traditional fat Tuesday item.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki

Right on spot! Quoting: "In Italy they are called bomboloni" (plural form of
bombolone).

brooklyn1 23-07-2009 04:26 PM

Breakfast today

"ViLco" > wrote in message
>A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
> What do you call those where you live?

Dunkin Donuts Bavarian Cream... police officers Healthy Choice. hehe

Sean Carl 23-07-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg[_6_] (Post 1349746)

ViLco wrote:

A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg

What do you call those where you live?

It's a custard doughnut, you stupid ****.

For those of you with the ability to killfile by Message-ID, add
*alt.net and you won't miss a thing. I just renewed mine after this
latest asshole appeared and reminded me.

-pl

ff****ing netKKKop.

Yumm....I want to have it. would it be easier if I make it? thinking of making it tomorrow

Sky 23-07-2009 06:08 PM

Breakfast today

ViLco wrote:

> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
> What do you call those where you live?
> --
> Vilco
> Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
> qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Put a chocolate topping on that custard-filled doughnut, then I think
you'd have an "eclair", eh???? That's what it looks like to me - a
chocolate eclair without the chocolate ;)

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Michael Kuettner[_2_] 23-07-2009 06:28 PM

Breakfast today

ViLco wrote:
> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
> What do you call those where you live?

Krapfen.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

sf[_9_] 23-07-2009 06:46 PM

Breakfast today

wrote:

>For those of you with the ability to killfile by Message-ID, add
>*alt.net and you won't miss a thing. I just renewed mine after this
>latest asshole appeared and reminded me.

Thanks! {alt.net} does it for people who don't have that option.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Janet 23-07-2009 07:18 PM

Breakfast today

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:31:57 -0500, Purr Loin >
> wrote:
>
>>For those of you with the ability to killfile by Message-ID, add
>>*alt.net and you won't miss a thing. I just renewed mine after this
>>latest asshole appeared and reminded me.

> Thanks! {alt.net} does it for people who don't have that option.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I hope my messages are still getting through, sf.

(sf = ShitFace?)

Sky 23-07-2009 07:47 PM

Breakfast today

l, not -l wrote:

> On 23-Jul-2009, Sky > wrote:
>
> > Put a chocolate topping on that custard-filled doughnut, then I think
> > you'd have an "eclair", eh???? That's what it looks like to me - a
> > chocolate eclair without the chocolate ;)
> >
> > Sky

> I don't know about elsewhere; but, here (STL), an eclair uses a totally
> different pasty than a custard-filled donut. Choux pastry is used for an
> eclair and a yeast dough for filled donuts.
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

I just went by appearances ;)

Sky, who's pastry-challenged

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

sf[_9_] 23-07-2009 08:37 PM

Breakfast today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:47:49 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>l, not -l wrote:
>>
>> On 23-Jul-2009, Sky > wrote:
>>
>> > Put a chocolate topping on that custard-filled doughnut, then I think
>> > you'd have an "eclair", eh???? That's what it looks like to me - a
>> > chocolate eclair without the chocolate ;)
>> >
>> > Sky

>> I don't know about elsewhere; but, here (STL), an eclair uses a totally
>> different pasty than a custard-filled donut. Choux pastry is used for an
>> eclair and a yeast dough for filled donuts.
>> --
>> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

>I just went by appearances ;)
>
>Sky, who's pastry-challenged

I think custard donuts come with chocolate icing too. Some are
oblong, not round... that's probably what you're thinking of.

whirled peas 23-07-2009 09:10 PM

Breakfast today

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:05:30 -0500, Lou Decruss
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:34:56 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:
>>
>>> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>>>
>>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>>
>>> What do you call those where you live?

>> Custard Bismarck. They're also good topped with chocolate.
>>
>> Lou

> To rudely respond to my own post. Polish people call them Paczki.
> They're a traditional fat Tuesday item.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki
>
> Lou

From the same Wikipedia article, in Germany they call this a
"Berliner". This is apparently what people were mistakenly deriding
President Kennedy about when he said "Ich bin ein Berliner" in a speech
in Berlin.

I'd call this a custard filled donut, except it doesn't have a hole in
the center.

Serene Vannoy 24-07-2009 03:45 AM

Breakfast today

ViLco wrote:
> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
> What do you call those where you live?

Custard-filled donut.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

John Kuthe[_2_] 24-07-2009 03:49 AM

Breakfast today

On Jul 23, 9:45*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> ViLco wrote:
> > A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.

> >http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg

> > What do you call those where you live?

> Custard-filled donut.
>
> Serene

Cream-filled.

I made donuts for almost 10 years, and I can tell you with authority,
that's not custard. It's artificially colored, flavored and thickened
sugar water!

John Kuthe...

Nathalie W 24-07-2009 06:56 AM

Breakfast today

ViLco wrote:
> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
> What do you call those where you live?

In Belgium we call these Boule de Berlin. The fun part is when you bite
in them and the powdered sugar spreads all over you.

--
Nathalie from Belgium

ViLco 24-07-2009 10:03 AM

Breakfast today

Michael Kuettner wrote:

>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>> What do you call those where you live?

> Krapfen.

I love cherry-jam filled krapfen!

ViLco 24-07-2009 10:04 AM

Breakfast today

John Kuthe wrote:

> Cream-filled.
>
> I made donuts for almost 10 years, and I can tell you with authority,
> that's not custard. It's artificially colored, flavored and thickened
> sugar water!

If you buy a generic one from a generic pub, yep, that's just the crap
you're talking about. But if you know a good place where they use vanilla
from madagascar and make theyr custard with fresh eggs and use rice starch
instead of flour (to better render the taste of the eggs and vanilla), well,
then you can forget those greasy spoon concoctions above. The one I had the
other day was wonderful, I love this patisserie. Theyr puff pastry, or
pastries since they have many, is incredible, too. They charge 1.20 a piece
instead of the usual 0.90, but the difference in taste, texture and perfume
is much more than that price difference.

Victor Sack[_1_] 24-07-2009 12:38 PM

Breakfast today

ViLco > wrote:

> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>
> What do you call those where you live?

Here it would be called "Berliner," but it is not a typical one (not
filled with jam). About 80 km to the west, in Aachen, it would be
called "Puffel." The general name is "Berliner Pfannkuchen" (pancake,
which is somewhat unintuitive), but in Berlin it is just "Pfannkuchen,"
of course (they must be crazy over there). In the south, in Bavaria and
in Austria, it is "Krapfen." In Russia, it would be called "pyshka" or
"ponchik" (which is often not filled at all), the latter a derivative of
the Polish "paczek" (which is often filled with powidla, a kind of plum
or prune butter).

Victor

Goomba[_2_] 24-07-2009 04:23 PM

Breakfast today

Nathalie W wrote:
> ViLco wrote:
>> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>>
>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>
>> What do you call those where you live?

> In Belgium we call these Boule de Berlin. The fun part is when you bite
> in them and the powdered sugar spreads all over you.

Has our Nathalie from Switzerland moved?? :)

brooklyn1 24-07-2009 05:07 PM

Breakfast today

"l, not -l" wrote:
> (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
>> the Polish "paczek" (which is often filled with powidla, a kind of plum
>> or prune butter).

> I love that stuff; we used to have a neighborhood bakery that made the
> most
> delicious Danish pastries with that filling. I haven't seen them in 25
> years, but everytime I visit a small bakery, I check for those "prune
> Danish" pastries.

It's called lekvar... it's readily available at most stupidmarkets, in the
baking section.

Lekvar [LEHK-vahr]
A thick, soft spread made of fruit (usually prunes or apricots) cooked
with sugar. This Hungarian specialty is used to fill a variety of pastries
and cookies. Lekvar can be purchased in cans or jars in most supermarkets.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

blake murphy[_2_] 24-07-2009 08:38 PM

Breakfast today

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:28:28 +0200, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> ViLco wrote:
>> A cup of espresso and one of these,:with custard filling.
>>
>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>
>> What do you call those where you live?

> Krapfen.

that sounds apposite.

your pal,
blake

Sky 25-07-2009 04:42 AM

Breakfast today

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:47:49 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
> >l, not -l wrote:

> >> I don't know about elsewhere; but, here (STL), an eclair uses a totally
> >> different pasty than a custard-filled donut. Choux pastry is used for an
> >> eclair and a yeast dough for filled donuts.

> I think custard donuts come with chocolate icing too. Some are
> oblong, not round... that's probably what you're thinking of.

Yep - oblong ;) Thanks.

Nathalie W 25-07-2009 07:39 AM

Breakfast today

Goomba wrote:
> Nathalie W wrote:
>

>> In Belgium we call these Boule de Berlin. The fun part is when you
>> bite in them and the powdered sugar spreads all over you.
>>

> Has our Nathalie from Switzerland moved?? :)

No, this is another Nathalie, mainly lurking, but unable to resist a
picture of a Boule de Berlin :-)

--
Nathalie from Belgium

brooklyn1 25-07-2009 03:32 PM

Breakfast today

"Sky" wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:47:49 -0500, Sky >
>> wrote:

>> I think custard donuts come with chocolate icing too. Some are
>> oblong, not round... that's probably what you're thinking of.

> Yep - oblong ;) Thanks.

Also the choux pastry used for eclairs and cream puffs is always baked...
the dough used for filled donuts is deep fried. Eclairs are always oblong,
cream puffs are always round. Eclairs are topped with chocolate frosting.
Cream puffs are dusted with powdered sugar. Eclairs are always filled with
custard. Cream puffs can be filled with custard or whipped cream. Of
course this is traditional, I've seen many *******ized versions, some very
good, some awful.

A bakery in Brooklyn I patronized years ago prepared cream puffs, eclairs,
and napoleons traditionally and filled with nesselrode, to die for.

Nesselrode
[NEHS-uhl-rohd]
Count Nesselrode, the 19th-century Russian diplomat, lived and ate lavishly
and had a number of rich dishes dedicated to him. The most famous is
Nesselrode pudding, developed by his head chef Mouy. It consists of
cream-enriched CUSTARD mixed with CHESTNUT puree, candied fruits, currants,
raisins and MARASCHINO LIQUEUR. This elegant mixture is often frozen, or
made into a pie or dessert sauce. Other dishes named after the Count include
a game soup and a braised sweetbread dish, but none gained the same fame as
the Nesselrode pudding.

sf[_9_] 25-07-2009 04:33 PM

Breakfast today

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:39:31 +0200, Nathalie W >
wrote:

>No, this is another Nathalie, mainly lurking, but unable to resist a
>picture of a Boule de Berlin :-)

Well, delurk and call yourself "Nathalie from Belgium" so we can tell
you two apart from the gitgo!

Michael Kuettner[_2_] 26-07-2009 07:17 PM

Breakfast today

ViLco wrote:
> Michael Kuettner wrote:
>
>>> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/...1f7ef427cc.jpg
>>> What do you call those where you live?

>> Krapfen.

> I love cherry-jam filled krapfen!

The standard filling is Marillenmarmelade (apricot jam).
But I also had them with strawberry jam.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner