Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default 101 Simple Salads

Mark Bitman's article in today's NYTimes food section is a compendium
of 101 simple salads making use of summer's bounty of fresh vegetables
and fruits. Worth saving for ideas and shopping lists. This is a
link to the story, which also has links to 8 salad dressings and a
mayonnaise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining

Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

Lemonade or lightly-salted water.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> Mark Bitman's article in today's NYTimes food section is a compendium
> of 101 simple salads making use of summer's bounty of fresh vegetables
> and fruits. Worth saving for ideas and shopping lists. This is a
> link to the story, which also has links to 8 salad dressings and a
> mayonnaise.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining
>
> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

Wine is always good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining
>
> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

How about gin? Or cheap basalmic vinegar?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> aem wrote:
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining
> >
> > Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> > raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

> How about gin? Or cheap basalmic vinegar?

I was just about to mention gin.

Also, wouldn't poaching be better than mere soaking?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Mark Bitman's article in today's NYTimes food section is a compendium
> of 101 simple salads making use of summer's bounty of fresh vegetables
> and fruits. Worth saving for ideas and shopping lists. This is a
> link to the story, which also has links to 8 salad dressings and a
> mayonnaise.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining
>
> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

aem - Thanks for the link.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote on Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:18:07 -0700 (PDT):

> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining

Thanks! I've added the URL to my Salads folder.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> Mark Bitman's article in today's NYTimes food section is a compendium
> of 101 simple salads making use of summer's bounty of fresh vegetables
> and fruits. Worth saving for ideas and shopping lists. This is a
> link to the story, which also has links to 8 salad dressings and a
> mayonnaise.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining
>
> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

Thanks for the link. I've saved and printed it. Lots of good ideas.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka > wrote:

> BTW, learned the term "resto" from this group, some aussie/kiwi
> thing?

It probably comes from French. The word is very widely used in France.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

plain warm water always works for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Mark Bitman's article in today's NYTimes food section is a compendium
> of 101 simple salads making use of summer's bounty of fresh vegetables
> and fruits. Worth saving for ideas and shopping lists. This is a
> link to the story, which also has links to 8 salad dressings and a
> mayonnaise.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining
>
> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

Amaretto. I think the almondy flavor would add something to the cumin
flavored salad.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:18:07 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>Mark Bitman's article in today's NYTimes food section is a compendium
>of 101 simple salads making use of summer's bounty of fresh vegetables
>and fruits. Worth saving for ideas and shopping lists. This is a
>link to the story, which also has links to 8 salad dressings and a
>mayonnaise.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining

Thanks for the story. I need to try the tomato - soy sauce - sesame
oil idea (#15) right away.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:49:22 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> aem wrote:

>>> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
>>> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem
>>>

>> Amaretto. I think the almondy flavor would add something to the cumin
>> flavored salad.

> Orange is also good..either orange juice, or in one instance of a
> carrot salad recipe I saw, orange flower water.

I think orange would be great. How about soaking the raisins in Gran
Marnier? <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 22, 1:18*pm, aem > wrote:

> *http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining

Nice, thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 22, 8:08*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 1:18*pm, aem > wrote:
>

> > *http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining

> Nice, thanks!

Uhhh, are you feeling all right? <g> -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:35:49 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Jul 22, 8:08*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
>> On Jul 22, 1:18*pm, aem > wrote:
>>

>> > *http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining

>> Nice, thanks!

>Uhhh, are you feeling all right? <g> -aem

My reaction too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 22, 10:35*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Jul 22, 8:08*pm, projectile vomit chick
>
> > wrote:
> > On Jul 22, 1:18*pm, aem > wrote:

> > > *http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining

> > Nice, thanks!

> Uhhh, are you feeling all right? * * *<g> *-aem

Yes, I love salads and there are lots of ideas there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:0020e6f8$0$29965
:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:49:22 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:

>>> Amaretto. I think the almondy flavor would add something to the cumin
>>> flavored salad.

>> Orange is also good..either orange juice, or in one instance of a
>> carrot salad recipe I saw, orange flower water.
>>

> I think orange would be great. How about soaking the raisins in Gran
> Marnier? <g>

You just really want to get some booze into that salad, don't you :-)

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=1&ref=dining

Thanks for the heads-up. Nice ideas there.

> Number 14 is a Moroccan carrot salad. If you wanted to plump the
> raisins for it, what would you use? -aem

Sherry?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like Bittman, but, really, what is the mystery of a salad? 101?
Seasonal veg, throw 'em into a bowl. Sure, marketing for a resto menu
is different, but for us, our family - go out to the garden, go to the
farmers', get what's fresh, season how you like, experiment if you're
in the mood. Done.

OK, I'll read the whole thing, but under duress. Looks like some
combos I haven't done. I hate recipies.

BTW, learned the term "resto" from this group, some aussie/kiwi
thing? Thank you. Much easier to spell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> wrote:

>BTW, learned the term "resto" from this group, some aussie/kiwi
>thing? Thank you. Much easier to spell.

I'm the opposite of you. I hate that term - and a pox on anyone who
uses it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> > wrote:
>
>>BTW, learned the term "resto" from this group, some aussie/kiwi
>>thing? Thank you. Much easier to spell.

> I'm the opposite of you. I hate that term - and a pox on anyone who
> uses it.

I hate it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 12:00 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> ... > On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> > > wrote:

> >>BTW, learned the term "resto" from this group, some aussie/kiwi
> >>thing? Thank you. Much easier to spell.

> > I'm the opposite of you. I hate that term - and a pox on anyone who
> > uses it.

> I hate it too.

Didn't like it at first, either, but too many damn vowels in
"restaurant". We know what we are talking about in 4-5 letters.
Pox. Another good word. I think the construction is "A pox
upon ..." New language, old language.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
> On Jul 23, 12:00 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> ... > On Thu, 23 Jul 2009
>> 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT), bulka

>> > I'm the opposite of you. I hate that term - and a pox on anyone who
>> > uses it.

>> I hate it too.

> Didn't like it at first, either, but too many damn vowels in
> "restaurant". We know what we are talking about in 4-5 letters.
> Pox. Another good word. I think the construction is "A pox
> upon ..." New language, old language.

Ease of typing does not take away the stupid sound of this abbreviation.
"Resto" FFS. Ugh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:12:10 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> wrote:

> I think the construction is "A pox
>upon ..." New language, old language.

Thanks, I couldn't remember how it went.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> I like Bittman, but, really, what is the mystery of a salad? 101?
> Seasonal veg, throw 'em into a bowl. Sure, marketing for a resto menu
> is different, but for us, our family - go out to the garden, go to the
> farmers', get what's fresh, season how you like, experiment if you're
> in the mood. Done.
>
> OK, I'll read the whole thing, but under duress.

Is it safe to presume that somebody is holding a gun to your head to do
so? Erm, probably not.

> Looks like some
> combos I haven't done. I hate recipies.

I've decided to try the couscous with oranges, raisins, honey etc.
tonight. Something I hadn't thought of doing myself, even though I had
all the ingredients at hand...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:35:49 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 22, 8:08 pm, projectile vomit chick
>> > wrote:

>>> Nice, thanks!

>> Uhhh, are you feeling all right? <g> -aem

> My reaction too.

'Tis the only way to go at this time of year in my digs. Too damned hot
(although it's been quite livable the past coupla three days). I've
also been chowing down on cold soups: gazpacho, beet, etc. I can
barely bear the thought of turning on the cooktop much less the oven, it
just doesn't happen 'round here in July/August! Or rarely, anyway....

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT), bulka
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, learned the term "resto" from this group, some aussie/kiwi
>>> thing? Thank you. Much easier to spell.

>> I'm the opposite of you. I hate that term - and a pox on anyone who
>> uses it.
>>

> I hate it too.

I use Resto

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT), bulka

>>> I'm the opposite of you. I hate that term - and a pox on anyone who
>>> uses it.
>>>

>> I hate it too.

> I use Resto

I don't want a pox........................ wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> I hate it too.

>> I use Resto

> I don't want a pox........................ wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's what you get for thumping a poor defenseless little kitty and
stealing her sweetheart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I use Resto

>> I don't want a pox........................
>> wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

> That's what you get for thumping a poor defenseless little kitty and
> stealing her sweetheart.

I did?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:

>>> I don't want a pox........................
>>> wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

>> That's what you get for thumping a poor defenseless little kitty and
>> stealing her sweetheart.

> I did?

You and Blake, you little trollop. *running awayyyyyy so you can't thump me
again .....* -------->

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> That's what you get for thumping a poor defenseless little kitty and
>>> stealing her sweetheart.

>> I did?

> You and Blake, you little trollop. *running awayyyyyy so you can't
> thump me again .....* -------->

I never didn't not touch him I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ain't not never
laid a finger on him!!!!!!! You ask him.. it's
the troooooooooooooooooof!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:

>>> I did?

>> You and Blake, you little trollop. *running awayyyyyy so you can't
>> thump me again .....* -------->

> I never didn't not touch him I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ain't not never
> laid a finger on him!!!!!!! You ask him.. it's
> the troooooooooooooooooof!!!!!!!!!

He let you see him in his camisole. My heart is broken. PLUS you THUMPED me.
meow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
>>> thump me again .....* -------->

>> I never didn't not touch him I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ain't not
>> never laid a finger on him!!!!!!! You ask him.. it's
>> the troooooooooooooooooof!!!!!!!!!
>>

> He let you see him in his camisole. My heart is broken. PLUS you
> THUMPED me. meow.

Hmmm ok.. I DID see the camisole, He wantonly flashed it a me..... but I
never thumped you!!! Honestly!

If you don't believe me I shall thump you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 11:10*am, bulka > wrote:

> BTW, learned the term "resto" from this group, some aussie/kiwi
> thing? *Thank you. *Much easier to spell.

Every word is easy to spell. Each word has a correct pattern of
letters.
People remember quite complicated patterns all the time.

"Restaurant" isn't any harder to remember than a phone number
including
area code.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote on Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:15:55 +0100:

> cybercat wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT), bulka

>>> I'm the opposite of you. I hate that term - and a pox on
>>> anyone who uses it.
>>>

>> I hate it too.

>I use Resto

I have no real objection to people abbreviating words too long for their
taste, so long as they don't expect me to follow their example. I don't
use "restro" or, in computing, "distro" for distribution. I don't think
those terms are Strine but Ozzies are fond of shortening words and
adding a "Y" sound. "Barbie" for barbeque and "footie" for Australian
football immediately come to mind and there are a lot more. The British
terms "sammy" and "butty" also come to mind. As for spelling, I've tried
a few simple variants on restaurant and my checker has always caught
them and suggested the correct spelling.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> > wrote:
>

>>BTW, learned the term "resto" from this group, some aussie/kiwi
>>thing? Thank you. Much easier to spell.

> I'm the opposite of you. I hate that term - and a pox on anyone who
> uses it.

Uh oh. I detect a resto-rant.

salads Dimitri General Cooking 32 22-02-2013 12:20 AM
101 Simple Salads for the Season (Mark Bittman The Minimalist) Tara General Cooking 2 26-05-2011 12:39 AM