DJS0302

Default School bake sales

Do schools still have homemade bake sales anymore? When I was in grade school
a bake sale meant that each student brought in something homemade to sell. The
subject came up in a conversation recently and today it seems a lot of schools
only allow store bought products at bake sales. What's up with that? Are
people getting so paranoid that their afraid someone is going to bring in
tainted Rice Krispie squares?

DJS0302 > wrote:
> Do schools still have homemade bake sales anymore? When I was in grade school
> a bake sale meant that each student brought in something homemade to sell. The
> subject came up in a conversation recently and today it seems a lot of schools
> only allow store bought products at bake sales. What's up with that? Are
> people getting so paranoid that their afraid someone is going to bring in
> tainted Rice Krispie squares?

I don't know about that, but last month, the Sunday school that shares a
church building with a group that I belong to held a bake sale. The parents
had several home made baked items on the sale table. I bought a cupcake and
a small bag of home made cookies. Yum!
Kajikit

DJS0302 saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on 03 Nov 2003 02:42:09 GMT:

>Do schools still have homemade bake sales anymore? When I was in grade school
>a bake sale meant that each student brought in something homemade to sell. The
>subject came up in a conversation recently and today it seems a lot of schools
>only allow store bought products at bake sales. What's up with that? Are
>people getting so paranoid that their afraid someone is going to bring in
>tainted Rice Krispie squares?

What's the point of that?! I wouldn't be buying anything from the sale
that's for sure... I don't know about schools, but our church still
has its annual bake sale, and I just contributed (and purchased) a
bunch of goodies! The only requirement on contributions was that you
had to have your name on them, the date that they were baked (in my
case the night before), and a complete ingredients list. They also had
to be properly wrapped in plastic... nobody wants to buy a cake with
flies sitting on it!

I'd guess that a) the schools are being forced to recognise that many
parents do not have the time, energy or skill required to bake
anything edible, and b) they're just too darned paranoid about
lawsuits... When I was teaching I certainly wasn't paranoid about
eating food that kids brought in to share, and I never suffered for
it. You hear about certain families who you should NOT touch anything
they've 'made', but most kitchens are reasonably clean and most cooks
have a reasonable standard of hygeine... people are too darned worried
about a few germs for their own good!

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...