Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilled catfish

Is catfish alright to grill? I mean will it fall apart, or what's a good way and
recipe to cook it. I have a three burner gas grill. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Is catfish alright to grill? I mean will it fall apart, or what's a good
> way and
> recipe to cook it. I have a three burner gas grill. Thanks.

Catfish grills very well. It is a flaky fish, however, and WILL fall apart
(you want it cooked through). You can buy an enclosed fish basket for
grilling. Reynolds used to make grill foil sheets that worked great for
things like fish. As with anything that worked well, they making it

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:35:41 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Is catfish alright to grill? I mean will it fall apart, or what's a good
>>> way and
>>> recipe to cook it. I have a three burner gas grill. Thanks.

>>Catfish grills very well. It is a flaky fish, however, and WILL fall
>>apart
>>(you want it cooked through). You can buy an enclosed fish basket for
>>grilling. Reynolds used to make grill foil sheets that worked great for
>>things like fish. As with anything that worked well, they making it
>>
>>Jill

> I always used the tin foil on the top rack of the grill with.

With foil why bother with a grill... may as well a fry pan on a stove top.

For grilling delicate fish wrap in leaves, buy banana leaves at any Hispanic
market... any leafy greens will work, lettuce, collards, nappa is nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Stu" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:35:41 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>>>Catfish grills very well. It is a flaky fish, however, and WILL fall
>>>apart
>>>(you want it cooked through). You can buy an enclosed fish basket for
>>>grilling. Reynolds used to make grill foil sheets that worked great for
>>>things like fish. As with anything that worked well, they making it
>>>
>>>Jill

>> I always used the tin foil on the top rack of the grill with.

> With foil why bother with a grill... may as well a fry pan on a stove top.
>
> For grilling delicate fish wrap in leaves, buy banana leaves at any
> Hispanic market... any leafy greens will work, lettuce, collards, nappa is
> nice.

I misttyped... Reynolds QUIT making the grill foil. And by the way, their
grill foil was to keep food from falling through the grates when things like
fish was flaky. It was extra heavy and had holes in it to let juices drip
down. It worked very well so of course they stopped making it.

I love the way people say to just go to "any Hispanic" or "any Asian" market
and any "farmers market", as if they're on every street corner in every town
USA. Sorry, that's not where I live.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stu" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:35:41 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>>> wrote:
>>>
> wrote in message
m...

>>> I always used the tin foil on the top rack of the grill with.

>> With foil why bother with a grill... may as well a fry pan on a stove
>> top.
>>
>> For grilling delicate fish wrap in leaves, buy banana leaves at any
>> Hispanic market... any leafy greens will work, lettuce, collards, nappa
>> is nice.
>>

> I misttyped... Reynolds QUIT making the grill foil. And by the way, their
> grill foil was to keep food from falling through the grates when things
> like fish was flaky. It was extra heavy and had holes in it to let juices
> drip down. It worked very well so of course they stopped making it.
>
> I love the way people say to just go to "any Hispanic" or "any Asian"
> market and any "farmers market", as if they're on every street corner in
> every town USA. Sorry, that's not where I live.

Now you're just being obstinate... I did say "any leafy greens will work,
lettuce, collards, nappa is nice". And I'm sure once you leave your island
to shop (Dee Plane! Dee Plane!) there will be ethnic markets within a
reasonable distance... any Asian market will have packages of leaves for
cooking in their refrigerated case too. Nowadays many ordinary markets
sell leaves for cooking. And folks have been cooking all sorts of foods
including fish in corn husks for thousands of years. Fish really shouldn't
be cooked in reactive cookware, more likely why those aluminum foil grill
thingies were discontinued, plus they were likely a costly redundancy, a
sheet of ordinary heavy duty foil would work the same... and if one does use
foil it really should lined with parchment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"brooklyn1" > wrote:

> "Stu" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:35:41 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > wrote in message
> . ..
> >>

> >>Catfish grills very well. It is a flaky fish, however, and WILL fall
> >>apart
> >>(you want it cooked through). You can buy an enclosed fish basket for
> >>grilling. Reynolds used to make grill foil sheets that worked great for
> >>things like fish. As with anything that worked well, they making it
> >>
> >>Jill

> > I always used the tin foil on the top rack of the grill with.

> With foil why bother with a grill... may as well a fry pan on a stove top.
>
> For grilling delicate fish wrap in leaves, buy banana leaves at any Hispanic
> market... any leafy greens will work, lettuce, collards, nappa is nice.

I'll bet a large bok choy leaf would work well too.
Hm, that gives me an idea for next time I poach catfish fillet...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> For grilling delicate fish wrap in leaves, buy banana leaves at any
>> Hispanic
>> market... any leafy greens will work, lettuce, collards, nappa is nice.

> I'll bet a large bok choy leaf would work well too.
> Hm, that gives me an idea for next time I poach catfish fillet...

Why would you need to wrap it up if you're poaching it? I could see wrapping
it if you were grilling or steaming, but I've never had a need to wrap fish
that is being poached.

Yes, bok choy leaves work. I've posted something similar in the past, when I
wrapped bok choy leaves around a mixture of chopped shrimp, egg white, and
peas, then steamed the packets:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...3312c4f4f9d0e9

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> wrote in message
om...

>>> With foil why bother with a grill... may as well a fry pan on a stove
>>> top.
>>>
>>> For grilling delicate fish wrap in leaves, buy banana leaves at any
>>> Hispanic market... any leafy greens will work, lettuce, collards, nappa
>>> is nice.
>>>

>> I misttyped... Reynolds QUIT making the grill foil. And by the way,
>> their grill foil was to keep food from falling through the grates when
>> things like fish was flaky. It was extra heavy and had holes in it to
>> let juices drip down. It worked very well so of course they stopped
>> making it.
>>
>> I love the way people say to just go to "any Hispanic" or "any Asian"
>> market and any "farmers market", as if they're on every street corner in
>> every town USA. Sorry, that's not where I live.
>>

> Now you're just being obstinate... I did say "any leafy greens will work,
> lettuce, collards, nappa is nice". And I'm sure once you leave your
> island to shop (Dee Plane! Dee Plane!) there will be ethnic markets
> within a reasonable distance... any Asian market will have packages of
> leaves for cooking in their refrigerated case too. Nowadays many
> ordinary markets sell leaves for cooking. And folks have been cooking all
> sorts of foods including fish in corn husks for thousands of years. Fish
> really shouldn't be cooked in reactive cookware, more likely why those
> aluminum foil grill thingies were discontinued, plus they were likely a
> costly redundancy, a sheet of ordinary heavy duty foil would work the
> same... and if one does use foil it really should lined with parchment.

Of course I'm being obstinate But the fact is people here type things
like "just go to an Asian market" just like they do "just go to TJ's", as if
everyone has one on every corner. Fact is, not everyone does. There's no
Asian market I've been able to find even in a google search within 20 miles.
Even if there was, I'm not driving 20 miles just to buy stuff at an Asian
market. The pennies it would save me are more than made up for in the cost
of gasoline used to get there and back. The Reynolds grill foil worked
perfectly for fish because it was perforated. I don't use foil when I'm
grilling steak, pork or vegetables, but for grilling fish it was perfect.
Just sayin'

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Of course I'm being obstinate But the fact is people here type things
> like "just go to an Asian market" just like they do "just go to TJ's", as
> if everyone has one on every corner. Fact is, not everyone does. There's
> no Asian market I've been able to find even in a google search within 20
> miles. Even if there was, I'm not driving 20 miles just to buy stuff at an
> Asian market. The pennies it would save me are more than made up for in
> the cost of gasoline used to get there and back. The Reynolds grill foil
> worked perfectly for fish because it was perforated. I don't use foil
> when I'm grilling steak, pork or vegetables, but for grilling fish it was
> perfect. Just sayin'
>
> Jill

asian mkt in beaufort. look and ye shall find.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 10:02*am, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> > I always used the tin foil on the top rack of the *grill with.

> With foil why bother with a grill... may as well a fry pan on a stove top..

You're a mook, an ignorant mook at that. The more you spew and louder
you bray the bigger the mook you make yourself appear.

> For grilling delicate fish wrap in leaves, buy banana leaves at any Hispanic
> market... any leafy greens will work, lettuce, collards, nappa is nice.

Post pictures of you wasting fish wrapped in leafy greens like
lettuce, collards and cabbage after you've grilled them. Then post
about the taste of that fish. What a TIAD -- something you know (and
enjoy) so well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> For grilling delicate fish wrap in leaves, buy banana leaves at any
> >> Hispanic
> >> market... any leafy greens will work, lettuce, collards, nappa is nice.

> > I'll bet a large bok choy leaf would work well too.
> > Hm, that gives me an idea for next time I poach catfish fillet...

> Why would you need to wrap it up if you're poaching it? I could see wrapping
> it if you were grilling or steaming, but I've never had a need to wrap fish
> that is being poached.

I never have to date, but it sounds like a cool idea to contain the
juices that tend to get poached out and make fish soup out of the
poaching water. ;-)

I guess containing it in a leaf tho' would negate it's "poached" statues.

Fine, be picky. <g>

> Yes, bok choy leaves work. I've posted something similar in the past, when I
> wrapped bok choy leaves around a mixture of chopped shrimp, egg white, and
> peas, then steamed the packets:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...3312c4f4f9d0e9
>
> Bob

Sweet. I missed that post.

I've used choy leaves over the top of a roast with fresh herbs to keep
them from drying out. Worked a treat!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> I've used choy leaves over the top of a roast with fresh herbs to keep
> them from drying out. Worked a treat!

Hmmm... I'll have to try that some day. I've always used blanched salt pork
or bacon to do the same thing. Helps that I like the taste.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote

>> > I'll bet a large bok choy leaf would work well too.
>> > Hm, that gives me an idea for next time I poach catfish fillet...

Exactly, and eat the leaves too... different leaves compliment different
fish... and don't forget that Asian markets sell leaves of seaweed.

>> Why would you need to wrap it up if you're poaching it? I could see
>> wrapping
>> it if you were grilling or steaming, but I've never had a need to wrap
>> fish
>> that is being poached.

> I never have to date, but it sounds like a cool idea to contain the
> juices that tend to get poached out and make fish soup out of the
> poaching water. ;-)
>
> I guess containing it in a leaf tho' would negate it's "poached" statues.

Still poached, can wrap in saran and is still poached... with egg poachers
the eggs never go into the poaching water.

> Fine, be picky. <g>

Whadaya 'spect... the only fish twilly knows is canned tuna... have you
ever seen anything he claims to have cooked... I thought not... neither have
I. Twilly just reads foodie stuff on the net and then boasts like he
actually did it himself... be very wary of anyone who claims to have
actually done everything they post about, those types rarely if ever have
done anything.

Many types of skinned and filleted fish (especially the dryer fleshed
fish... folks rarely poach oily fleshed fish anyway) will break up when
poached unless somehow contained, typically with leafy greens... but the
classic method is to rewrap fish in it's own skin. The traditional method
for making gefilte fish is to stuff the chopped/ground and seasoned fish
back into its whole skin and poach in a stock made with fish heads and
trimmings.

Now that the baboon ass faced liar learned something don't be surprised if
he doesn't wait a few months and then when the opportunity presents itself
will boast about how he poaches fish in leaves, even in its skin.... he's
such a lair, twilly has never made anything in a kitchen more involved than
opening a can of tuna... probably never goes into a kitchen, he orders his
schmoo to fetch his can of beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
>> I've used choy leaves over the top of a roast with fresh herbs to keep
>> them from drying out. Worked a treat!

> Hmmm... I'll have to try that some day. I've always used blanched salt
> pork or bacon to do the same thing. Helps that I like the taste.
>
> George L

Most of the planet cooks food wrapped in leaves... leaves have been around
longer than aluminum foil, longer than pots, a lot longer than pots... ever
since Adam & Eve removed each others fig leaves and poached each others meat
with hot saliva. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Omelet" > wrote
>>
>>> I've used choy leaves over the top of a roast with fresh herbs to keep
>>> them from drying out. Worked a treat!

>> Hmmm... I'll have to try that some day. I've always used blanched salt
>> pork or bacon to do the same thing. Helps that I like the taste.
>>
>> George L

> Most of the planet cooks food wrapped in leaves... leaves have been around
> longer than aluminum foil, longer than pots, a lot longer than pots...
> ever since Adam & Eve removed each others fig leaves and poached each
> others meat with hot saliva. LOL

I knew that but thanks for the post. It is nice to hear a first-hand
account from someone who was actually there.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon lied again:

> Whadaya 'spect... the only fish twilly knows is canned tuna... have you
> ever seen anything he claims to have cooked... I thought not... neither
> have I.

I posted pictures of last Thanksgiving's dinner and last Memorial Day's
dinner. So has just been caught in a lie, hasn't he?

Sheldon, if you want me to post more pictures so that you can learn how to
cook, all you have to do is beg. Post pictures of yourself on your knees
begging me for photos, and I'll post photos more often. The pictures YOU
have posted reveal that you are not even competent at browning meat, so
you're in desperate need of the instruction.

> Twilly just reads foodie stuff on the net and then boasts like he
> actually did it himself...

Please provide an example of one such incident. Can't do it, can you? That's
because you just lied AGAIN.

> be very wary of anyone who claims to have actually done everything they
> post about, those types rarely if ever have done anything.

NOW we're getting somewhere! Sheldon, you recognize that you are not able to
cook ANYTHING I've cooked, and so in your envy you assume that NOBODY could
cook as I do. Well, you're wrong, but you ought to be used to that by now.

> don't be surprised if he doesn't wait a few months and then when the
> opportunity presents itself will boast about how he poaches fish in
> leaves, even in its skin....

I wrap fish up if I'm going to steam it, but not if I poach it, because I
want the fish to take on some of the flavor of the cooking liquid. I rarely
poach fish anyway; the last time fish I poached was a chunk of sea bass for
Christmas Eve 2003; it was poached in a broth flavored with lemons, soy
sauce, and onions.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...d90cd29b9828a0

If you're going to wrap the fish up, I'd recommend wrapping it in parchment
and cooking it in the oven. You can regulate the heat easily, you can add a
wide array of flavorings (e.g., Lapsang Souchong tea and orange peel with
salmon), the flavors are contained so they infuse the fish with flavor
better, and you don't have to worry about leakage. (Leakage is a constant
concern with Sheldon; his ass is so big it strains his Depends to the
breaking point.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message ...

| "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
| >
| > "George Leppla" > wrote in message
| >>
| >> "Omelet" > wrote

| >> Hmmm... I'll have to try that some day. I've always used blanched salt
| >> pork or bacon to do the same thing. Helps that I like the taste.
| >>
| >> George L
| > Most of the planet cooks food wrapped in leaves... leaves have been around
| > longer than aluminum foil, longer than pots, a lot longer than pots...
| > ever since Adam & Eve removed each others fig leaves and poached each
| > others meat with hot saliva. LOL
|

| I knew that but thanks for the post. It is nice to hear a first-hand
| account from someone who was actually there.
|
| George L

*Bingo!*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"George Leppla" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > I've used choy leaves over the top of a roast with fresh herbs to keep
> > them from drying out. Worked a treat!

> Hmmm... I'll have to try that some day. I've always used blanched salt pork
> or bacon to do the same thing. Helps that I like the taste.
>
> George L

These were pork roasts with garlic slivers in deep stabs, then topped
with sprigs of fresh herbs from the herb garden. It helped the herb
flavor to sink deep into the roast. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > Of course I'm being obstinate But the fact is people here type things
> > like "just go to an Asian market" just like they do "just go to TJ's", as
> > if everyone has one on every corner. Fact is, not everyone does.

And would that I could get catfish fillets in the UK.
It's a cultural difference: I can't. Not even when I lived in the
grand metropolis that is London.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:12:56 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Omelet" > wrote

>>> Hmmm... I'll have to try that some day. I've always used blanched salt
>>> pork or bacon to do the same thing. Helps that I like the taste.
>>>
>>> George L

>> Most of the planet cooks food wrapped in leaves... leaves have been around
>> longer than aluminum foil, longer than pots, a lot longer than pots...
>> ever since Adam & Eve removed each others fig leaves and poached each
>> others meat with hot saliva. LOL

> I knew that but thanks for the post. It is nice to hear a first-hand
> account from someone who was actually there.
>
> George L

who did you think played the snake?

your pal,
YHWH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:12:56 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

>>> Most of the planet cooks food wrapped in leaves... leaves have been
>>> around
>>> longer than aluminum foil, longer than pots, a lot longer than pots...
>>> ever since Adam & Eve removed each others fig leaves and poached each
>>> others meat with hot saliva. LOL

>> I knew that but thanks for the post. It is nice to hear a first-hand
>> account from someone who was actually there.
>>
>> George L

> who did you think played the snake?

Obviously someone slithery with no legs. duh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:07:30 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> I knew that but thanks for the post. It is nice to hear a first-hand
>>> account from someone who was actually there.
>>>
>>> George L

>> who did you think played the snake?
>>

> Obviously someone slithery with no legs. duh

ooh, ooh! i am wounded mortally!

blake