Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Aluminum cookware

I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry
pan. Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
piedmont

PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"piedmont" > wrote in message ...
|I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
| aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry
| pan. Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
| piedmont
|
| PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
| aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!

was it Magnalite?? great quality for the better part of a century:
http://www.worldkitchen.com/Magnalite/web/
pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"piedmont" > wrote in message
>I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
>aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry pan.
>Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
> piedmont
>
> PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
> aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!

Hispanic cookery entails using cast aluminum cookware... most any Latino
food market will sell a large assortment. Also any restuarant supply
emporium will carry aluminum cookware in all configurations... aluminum is
used for frying and boiling pasta/rice. Restaurants use a lot of aluminum
cookware/bakeware because when slinging large pots and pans around hour
after hour they don't need to feel like they're working out at Gold's Gym.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "piedmont" > wrote in message ...
> |I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
> | aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry
> | pan. Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
> | piedmont
> |
> | PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
> | aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!
>
> was it Magnalite?? great quality for the better part of a century:
> http://www.worldkitchen.com/Magnalite/web/
> pavane

Thank you! I've been trying to remember the name since I read the
original post.

We received a "chicken fryer"-type skillet as a wedding gift in the 60s
and it was very satisfactory. I think I gave it away to one of my kids
for a first apartment since I had a load of Farberware and Teflon ones
by then.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Hispanic cookery entails using cast aluminum cookware...

Really? I've never seen it listed in the ingredients.
Does French cuisine entail Le Creuset?
And American require Lodge?

The things you learn online....

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

piedmont wrote:

> I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
> aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry
> pan. Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
> piedmont
>
> PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
> aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!

Right. It's the chromium from stainless steel
you gotta watch out for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 18 Jul 2009 01:04:00p, Gloria P told us...

> brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> Hispanic cookery entails using cast aluminum cookware...

> Really? I've never seen it listed in the ingredients.
> Does French cuisine entail Le Creuset?
> And American require Lodge?
>
> The things you learn online....
>
> gloria p

Actually, I have seen a lot of cast alumiinum cookware for sale in Hispanic
stores. Obviously, it's not a requirement. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
If organic farming is the natural way, shouldn't organic produce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote:
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> Hispanic cookery entails using cast aluminum cookware...

> Really? I've never seen it listed in the ingredients.
> Does French cuisine entail Le Creuset?

Yes it does.

> And American require Lodge?

Perhaps but not necessarily.

> The things you learn online....

Entail does not mean require... entail means involve... learn that, pinhead.

http://www.elboricua.com/CCNOW_Calderos.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, piedmont >
wrote:

> I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
> aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry
> pan. Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
> piedmont
>
> PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
> aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!

Magnalite is cast aluminum, I believe.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "piedmont" > wrote in message ...
> |I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
> | aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry
> | pan. Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
> | piedmont
> |
> | PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
> | aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!
>
> was it Magnalite?? great quality for the better part of a century:
> http://www.worldkitchen.com/Magnalite/web/
> pavane

I reviewed the magnalite webpage and didn't see it, this pan looked
exactly like the lodge cast iron fry pan. I have seen the aluminum pans
in the hispanic store but those were thinner pots with rounded bottoms.
piedmont

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 18 Jul 2009 05:01:04p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article >, piedmont >
> wrote:
>
>> I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
>> aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry
>> pan. Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
>> piedmont
>>
>> PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
>> aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!

> Magnalite is cast aluminum, I believe.

Yes, it's an aluminum alloy. I'm not sure what the other component metals
are.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 18 Jul 2009 07:11:08p, pavane told us...

> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
> 50...
>| Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>| news:barbschaller- on Jul Sat
>| 2009 pm
>|
>| > Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
>|
>| Cooking with a aluminum pan cast or otherwise...is dangerous. It is so
>| light, you face the probable results, when lifting it off the burner,
>| of smacking your face into it.
>
> In fact Magnalite is very heavy, quite substantial. You would have to
> be as muscular as Shelshit is dumb to flip a Magnalite pan into your
> face. Until the Calphalon fame with the anodizing process it was the
> modern cookware of choice, still very good and decoratively art deco to
> the extreme. You should find somewhere that handles it and give it a
> heft...
>
> This brings back great memories of starting to cook, and the best pans
> my mother had were Magnalite. At that time quite old, showing almost no
> wear, and quick, responsive cookware. They are really beauties, to pans
> as the Chrysler building is to skyscrapers. Please forgive the
> nostalgia.
>
> pavane

I agree, pavane. Magnalite is lovely cookware and a pleasure to cook in.
I don't have any anymore, but my mother did and I enjoyed using it. The
designs were beautiful.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
> 50...
> | Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
> | on Jul Sat 2009 pm
> |
> | > Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
> |
> | Cooking with a aluminum pan cast or otherwise...is dangerous. It is so light, you face the
> probable
> | results, when lifting it off the burner, of smacking your face into it.
>
> In fact Magnalite is very heavy, quite substantial. You would have to be as
> muscular as Shelshit is dumb to flip a Magnalite pan into your face. Until
> the Calphalon fame with the anodizing process it was the modern cookware
> of choice, still very good and decoratively art deco to the extreme. You
> should find somewhere that handles it and give it a heft...
>
> This brings back great memories of starting to cook, and the best pans my
> mother had were Magnalite. At that time quite old, showing almost no
> wear, and quick, responsive cookware. They are really beauties, to pans
> as the Chrysler building is to skyscrapers. Please forgive the nostalgia.
>
> pavane

In fact the "plain" aluminum cookware has the same aluminum oxide
surface coating as the anodized Calphalon pans. The difference is that
on the "plain" cookware it is the naturally formed oxide while on the
anodized it is a thicker and more consistent electro-chemically produced
oxide (I've done anodizing).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
> on Jul Sat 2009 pm
>
> > Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
> >> aluminum cookware

> Cooking with a aluminum pan cast or otherwise...is dangerous. It is so light,
> you face the probable
> results, when lifting it off the burner, of smacking your face into it.

Have you ever used Magnalite?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.247...
> On Sat 18 Jul 2009 05:01:04p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
>> In article >, piedmont >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and saw a cast
>>> aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical lodge cast iron fry
>>> pan. Does anyone know of a source for these where I can buy one?
>>> piedmont
>>>
>>> PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of cooking with
>>> aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!

>> Magnalite is cast aluminum, I believe.
>>

> Yes, it's an aluminum alloy. I'm not sure what the other component metals
> are.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Magnesium
http://www.fantes.com/magnalite.html

The stuff made today is not the original company though.

Peter Pike, President of American Culinary Corp., states he purchased the
Magnalite and Wagner brands and original molds, and is the only source for
parts that fit the original Magnalite pans.

There apparently exists a dispute between American Culinary and World
Kitchen (formerly Corningware) regarding the use of the Magnalite brand
name. World Kitchen has been manufacturing some cast aluminum pans in China
under the brand name of Magnalite (which look like the original Magnalite
but are of different materials and sizes). These are currently available at
many WalMart, Sam's Club and Corning factory outlet stores at discount
prices. Also available directly from World Kitchen at full price by calling
800-999-3436.

Magnalite parts from World Kitchen do NOT fit the original Magnalite made in
the USA.

Originally developed in 1934, Magnalite® Classic is best known for its
distinctive finish, timeless design and commercial durability.

The casting process of the aluminum/magnesium alloy enables Magnalite®
cookware to have a stronger, more dense body, and a smoother finish.

The pans boast extra thick bases, which allow heat to travel quickly and
evenly up the pan sidewalls, maximizing heat conductivity. .

Pouring spouts, heavy cast lids and cast-in flame guards combine to create a
product durable and efficient enough to satisfy any culinary objective.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 18 Jul 2009 09:33:04p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .247...
>> On Sat 18 Jul 2009 05:01:04p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

>>> Magnalite is cast aluminum, I believe.
>>>

>> Yes, it's an aluminum alloy. I'm not sure what the other component
>> metals are.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Magnesium
> http://www.fantes.com/magnalite.html
>
> The stuff made today is not the original company though.
>
> Peter Pike, President of American Culinary Corp., states he purchased
> the Magnalite and Wagner brands and original molds, and is the only
> source for parts that fit the original Magnalite pans.
>
> There apparently exists a dispute between American Culinary and World
> Kitchen (formerly Corningware) regarding the use of the Magnalite brand
> name. World Kitchen has been manufacturing some cast aluminum pans in
> China under the brand name of Magnalite (which look like the original
> Magnalite but are of different materials and sizes). These are currently
> available at many WalMart, Sam's Club and Corning factory outlet stores
> at discount prices. Also available directly from World Kitchen at full
> price by calling 800-999-3436.
>
> Magnalite parts from World Kitchen do NOT fit the original Magnalite
> made in the USA.
>
> Originally developed in 1934, Magnalite® Classic is best known for its
> distinctive finish, timeless design and commercial durability.
>
> The casting process of the aluminum/magnesium alloy enables Magnalite®
> cookware to have a stronger, more dense body, and a smoother finish.
>
> The pans boast extra thick bases, which allow heat to travel quickly and
> evenly up the pan sidewalls, maximizing heat conductivity. .
>
> Pouring spouts, heavy cast lids and cast-in flame guards combine to
> create a product durable and efficient enough to satisfy any culinary
> objective.

Thanks, Ed. Interesting...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Kissing don't last; cookery do! George Meredith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

<some snipping done>

> Originally developed in 1934, Magnalite® Classic is best known for its
> distinctive finish, timeless design and commercial durability.

My mother had Magnalite® pots. When I married in 1966, I got a set of
them, too. I had two sauce pans, a dutch oven and a chicken fryer with a
lid. I practically wore them out. There was no mirror finish on the
outside any longer after 20+ years. When we wrecked our fifth wheel in
2005, it was hard to get stuff from the kitchen because of the millions
of lethal shards of Corelle all over the place, so we just left a lot of
stuff. Among the stuff we left were those pots.

I've learned to do with Calphalon, but I sure miss those Magnalite® pots.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:45:16 GMT:

>> In article >, piedmont
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I saw a travel show about Peru or somewhere near there and
>>> saw a cast aluminum fry pan that looked just like a typical
>>> lodge cast iron fry pan. Does anyone know of a source for
>>> these where I can buy one? piedmont
>>>
>>> PS: Don't even start a side-thread about the dangers of
>>> cooking with aluminum cookware and you know who you are!!!

>> Magnalite is cast aluminum, I believe.
>>

> Yes, it's an aluminum alloy. I'm not sure what the other
> component metals are.

I don't know what is the alloy but one component, as the name implies,
is magnesium, I believe. Are you going to worry that magnesium ribbon
burns well and was, in fact, used in incendiary bombs.?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote >
> I don't know what is the alloy but one component, as the name implies, is
> magnesium, I believe. Are you going to worry that magnesium ribbon burns
> well and was, in fact, used in incendiary bombs.?

There is far too little magnesium in the alloy used for cookware to ignite,
probably no more than 5%. Magnesium is used in the alloy primarilly for
increasing machinability of cast aluminum. Cast aluminum is a very cheap
form of aluminum, made from melted down scrap aluminum, a little better
quality than pot metal.

http://www.keytometals.com/Article75.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Have you ever used Magnalite?

I had a bunch of Magnalite pieces for a while. They performed well
while they lasted. High thermal condictivity, surface hard enough
that it didn't scratch, light enough heft and so on.

The problem was two-fold but based on a single feature - Their hard
anodized surface is as hard as synthetic sapphire but it is not as
chemically inert as other surfaces. I cooked a lot of tomatos in
one and its surface faded. I continued using it but the lining was no
longer harder than just some random cheap aluminum pan.

The biggest problem was also chemical - They get etched by the
chemicals in the dishwasher. Putting them in the dishwasher is
specifically listed in the instructions as invalidating the warranty.
figure this puts me in a minority of RFC but I figure I live in the
wrong
century to tolerate any kitchen anything that doesn't go in the
dishwasher. Even if the very best whatever doesn't go in the machine,
there's going to be a product that performs more than 90% as well
that does go in the machine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug wrote on Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:19:02 -0700 (PDT):

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>>
>> Have you ever used Magnalite?

> I had a bunch of Magnalite pieces for a while. They performed
> well while they lasted. High thermal condictivity, surface
> hard enough that it didn't scratch, light enough heft and so
> on.

> The problem was two-fold but based on a single feature - Their
> hard anodized surface is as hard as synthetic sapphire but it
> is not as chemically inert as other surfaces. I cooked a lot
> of tomatos in one and its surface faded. I continued using it
> but the lining was no longer harder than just some random
> cheap aluminum pan.

Magnesium, as I have mentioned, is quite a reactive metal and I would
not be inclined to wash a Magnalite pan in the dishwasher, not that I
have any of those pans.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland