Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can't afford VitaMix: Next best juicer?

What would be the next best juicer that works like the
VitaMix in that it grinds everything up that is
affordable?

I just cant swing for a VitaMix
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:43:06 -0700, Mark Thorson >

>> What would be the next best juicer that works like the
>> VitaMix in that it grinds everything up that is
>> affordable?
>>
>> I just cant swing for a VitaMix

Any recommendations for a juicer that grind up anything that isn't
affordable? Just in case I ever decide to grind up my unafordables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert Klute wrote:

> wrote:
> >>
> >> What would be the next best juicer that works like the
> >> VitaMix in that it grinds everything up that is
> >> affordable?
> >>
> >> I just cant swing for a VitaMix

> Any recommendations for a juicer that grind up anything that isn't
> affordable? Just in case I ever decide to grind up my unafordables.

If you're planning to get rid of the body
of an unwanted wife, you use a meat grinder
for that, not a juicer. Sheldon can discourse
on how to select a good meat grinder.

And get some dogs. They'll eat the sausages.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:43:06 -0700, Mark Thorson >

>> What would be the next best juicer that works like the
>> VitaMix in that it grinds everything up that is
>> affordable?
>>
>> I just cant swing for a VitaMix

>I don't know what a VitaMix costs, but I'd highly
>recommend the Champion juicer. It's a really powerful
>machine. I bought mine used on eBay for about $75.

One needs to cruise the thrift shops.
A number of years ago I happened on a Vita-Mix 3600 in mint condition
at a local thrift shop during one of their 50% off sale days. The
regular price was $20.00 so I got it for $10.00.
The same month, at a different shop, I got a Champion juicer in what
appeared to be unused condition. It was way more expensive though, set
me back $25.00.
The Vita-Mix gets used occasionally but, after the initial test run,
the Champion still sits, basically unused, on a shelf in the pantry.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:15:18 -0700, Robert Klute wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:43:06 -0700, Mark Thorson >

>>> What would be the next best juicer that works like the
>>> VitaMix in that it grinds everything up that is
>>> affordable?
>>>
>>> I just cant swing for a VitaMix

> Any recommendations for a juicer that grind up anything that isn't
> affordable? Just in case I ever decide to grind up my unafordables.

no matter what brand you get, diamonds tend to dull the blades.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > What would be the next best juicer that works like the
> > VitaMix in that it grinds everything up that is
> > affordable?

> > I just cant swing for a VitaMix

> I don't know what a VitaMix costs, but I'd highly
> recommend the Champion juicer. *It's a really powerful
> machine. *I bought mine used on eBay for about $75.

I once had a Champion juicer. It was as convenient to use
and as quiet as a gas powered lawn mower. It was also as
powerful as a gas powered lawn mower. Expect to build a
wooden stand for it that bolts it down to the counter and
that raises it up enough that you can get sizable bowls
under it. Even better a stand high enough to get a pitcher
under it.

I've also tried the rotating cylinder mill type of juicers like
the one sold by Jack Lalane. Easier to use but much
lower capacity. The mulch produced on the inside of these
units must be scraped out. In comparison the Champion
dries out the mulch and expels it out one end.

Since the mulch has all of the fiber, I've used it as a puree
in stews. Nice texture but bland as the juice gets the vast
majority of the flavor.

Used is the way to go. I've seen VitaMix and Champion
and Jack Lalane at thift stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:03:22 -0700 (PDT), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

:Mark Thorson > wrote:
:>
:
[...]

I have a machine that will make carrot juice and an electric juicer for
unpeeled citrus that I use occasionally for lemons.

Mostly I use a blender for peeled fruit. I just bought an Oster
Counterforms at Costco for $50, and it seems to be pretty effective both
in terms of performance and bang for the buck. The smoothest smoothies
immaginable.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 19 Jul 2009 01:17:33p, told us...

http://www.amazon.com/Tamper-for-Vit.../dp/B001GPED24

--
Wayne Boatwright
Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> http://www.amazon.com/Tamper-for-Vit.../dp/B001GPED24

Thanks, Wayne, but that will not work for the 3600. I don't remember
why off hand, but I researched it and found it was incompatible. The
reason was that if it was compatible, a vita-mix demo guy was offering
me a free tamper of that particular design. I think that it is too
long, or the flange is too small to work properly in the hole in the
domed cap of my machine.

jt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 19 Jul 2009 02:12:56p, jt august told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Tamper-for-Vit.../dp/B001GPED24

> Thanks, Wayne, but that will not work for the 3600. I don't remember
> why off hand, but I researched it and found it was incompatible. The
> reason was that if it was compatible, a vita-mix demo guy was offering
> me a free tamper of that particular design. I think that it is too
> long, or the flange is too small to work properly in the hole in the
> domed cap of my machine.
>
> jt

Sorry. I just assumed they were all standard.

Here's a brand new one on eBay for the 3600:

http://tinyurl.com/lca7rc

--
Wayne Boatwright
What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.bombaylimited.com/Preethi...lus-16133.html
> http://www.perfectpeninsula.com/ChefProPlus.htm
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Interesting. I need to train my eyes higher when I am at the
various Indian stores around here. Then pray for big sales.

--
Jean B.