Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Too Tired and Lazy

........to look up "how to poach chicken", so am asking now if
anyone can provide the answer, and more specifically, can it be done
in a saute pan or pot, or does it require a special implement that I'm
definitely not going to go out and buy. I believe the snobbish anti-
microwave guy (Bryan), was one who suggested poaching the chicken
instead of blasting it to hell in the microwave. Thanks.

TJ (the cheap chef)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message

> ........to look up "how to poach chicken", so am asking now if
> anyone can provide the answer, and more specifically, can it be done
> in a saute pan or pot, or does it require a special implement that I'm
> definitely not going to go out and buy. I believe the snobbish anti-
> microwave guy (Bryan), was one who suggested poaching the chicken
> instead of blasting it to hell in the microwave. Thanks.
>
> TJ (the cheap chef)

Google is your friend. Poached means cooked in water. But unlike boiled
chicken, it's not completely covered in water. I'm pretty sure you can
figure out how to simmer some pieces of chicken in water for about 20
minutes. The herbs and seasonings are completely up to you. That's about
all there is to it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 05:12:49 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> wrote:

> ........to look up "how to poach chicken", so am asking now if
>anyone can provide the answer, and more specifically, can it be done
>in a saute pan or pot, or does it require a special implement that I'm
>definitely not going to go out and buy. I believe the snobbish anti-
>microwave guy (Bryan), was one who suggested poaching the chicken
>instead of blasting it to hell in the microwave. Thanks.
>
>TJ (the cheap chef)

Put chicken in frypan. Sprinkle with seasoning - herbs, spices,
bottled stuff... Add water to almost cover the chicken. Cook until
almost all the water is gone. Done. Nothing special required except a
frypan with reasonably high sides so the water doesn't spill out, and
a stove. If you used bottled marinade at the end you'll have chicken
nicely coated with sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote:
> ........to look up "how to poach chicken", so am asking now if
> anyone can provide the answer, and more specifically, can it be done
> in a saute pan or pot, or does it require a special implement that I'm
> definitely not going to go out and buy. I believe the snobbish anti-
> microwave guy (Bryan), was one who suggested poaching the chicken
> instead of blasting it to hell in the microwave. Thanks.
>
> TJ (the cheap chef)

Does not require any special pot or pan, just one that allows you to lay
in the chicken and liquid of choice (broth, water, whatever). You don't
boil it madly, just simmer until the meat is cooked.

I often use the leftover poaching liquid to cook rice in for the same
meal. I strain it and measure it for the rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Google is your friend. Poached means cooked in water. But unlike
> boiled chicken, it's not completely covered in water. I'm pretty sure
> you can figure out how to simmer some pieces of chicken in water for
> about 20 minutes. The herbs and seasonings are completely up to you.
> That's about all there is to it.
>
> Jill

One can poach in any liquid, doesn't have to be water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 10, 5:12*am, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> * *........to look up "how to poach chicken", so am asking now if
> anyone can provide the answer, and more specifically, can it be done
> in a saute pan or pot, or does it require a special implement that I'm
> definitely not going to go out and buy. *I believe the snobbish anti-
> microwave guy (Bryan), was one who suggested poaching the chicken
> instead of blasting it to hell in the microwave. *Thanks.
>
> TJ *(the cheap chef)

Poaching is to cook by submerging the food in liquid whose temperature
is below that of a simmer. You can use any pot or pan that will hold
the food and enough liquid. See this page for the differences between
boiling, simmering, and poaching.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...ingBoiling.htm

Google this group for "chinese poached chicken" when you break out of
your lazy spell. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Google is your friend. Poached means cooked in water. But unlike boiled
>> chicken, it's not completely covered in water. I'm pretty sure you can
>> figure out how to simmer some pieces of chicken in water for about 20
>> minutes. The herbs and seasonings are completely up to you. That's
>> about all there is to it.
>>
>> Jill

> One can poach in any liquid, doesn't have to be water.

Point taken. Poaching liquid could be broth or a rich stock or wine. It's
just not boiling and certainly not microwaving . Although a case could be
made for being able to poach in the microwave. Even in the dishwasher if
you want to carry it that far

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote:

>"how to poach chicken", so am asking now if
>anyone can provide the answer, and more specifically, can it be done
>in a saute pan or pot, or does it require a special implement that I'm
>>definitely not going to go out and buy.

All you need is any inexpensive pot large enough to contain the chicken and
enough water to cover by a couple of inches. Place chicken in pot and add
cold water to cover by a couple inches (some salt and season the water but I
don't think that does much for the chicken, unless the water will be used as
a broth). On high heat bring just to the boil and immediately turn heat
down to low so that water just barely bubbles now and again. After 15
minutes remove from heat, cover, and let rest about 45 minutes (depends on
size of chicken). Then remove chicken to colander to drain and cool enough
to handle. Now proceed with recipe. Poached chicken can be eaten hot or
cold, there are many recipes. To poach means to cook in hot water without
boiling.

Poached Chicken with Ginger and Scallion Sauce

Epicurious

1 3 1/2-lb. Chicken
1/2 cup sesame oil
6 tablespoons peanut, vegetable, or corn oil
1/4 cup finely shredded fresh ginger
3 scallions, green part included, trimmed and cut into fine strips, 4
inches long
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon dry sherry or shao hsing wine
1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (optional)

1. Place the chicken in a covered stock pot filled with enough water
to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes. Turn off
the heat and let the chicken stand in the cooking liquid until just warm.
Drain, reserving the broth for another use. Rinse the chicken under cold
water, pat dry, and rub lightly with sesame oil.
2. Cut the chicken into pieces. Arrange neatly on a platter.

3. Heat the peanut, vegetable, or corn oil in a small saucepan, and
when it is hot add the ginger and scallions. Cook about 30 seconds; remove
ginger and scallions with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil in the pan.

4. Scatter the ginger and scallions over the chicken.

5. Add the remain ingredients to the oil, bring to a boil and pour
over the chicken. Serve at room temperature.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:42:45 -0400, Goomba wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Google is your friend. Poached means cooked in water. But unlike
>> boiled chicken, it's not completely covered in water. I'm pretty sure
>> you can figure out how to simmer some pieces of chicken in water for
>> about 20 minutes. The herbs and seasonings are completely up to you.
>> That's about all there is to it.
>>
>> Jill

> One can poach in any liquid, doesn't have to be water.

still you might try water before moving on to, say, maple syrup.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks to everyone who responded. When I was a kid I remember
poaching eggs, so I knew it was basically a low-boil or simmering
method, but I asked because not only am I lazy, I'm also cheap as
dictated by a job that pays about $150 a week lately. I want everyone
to know that when I cook the chicken (boneless breasts, I forgot to
add), I don't eat them right away, which is why steaming in the micro
was always ok with me. I put them in cold water, then drain them and
put in the fridge. I use slices later in cold pasta salads and so
forth. But I appreciate all the responses and will go to the site
recommended by one of you, I believe Aem, by memory, and read briefly
about poaching before taking a 4 mile walk to get the stinking cab I
drive for what passes as a living. Yesterday I was lazy. Today I
have energy but am in a rush. A rush to get to work and make, what,
maybe almost nothing. Thanks again.

Tommy Joe (when work encroached, my soul was poached)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 8:42*am, Goomba > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Google is your friend. *Poached means cooked in water. *But unlike
> > boiled chicken, it's not completely covered in water. *I'm pretty sure
> > you can figure out how to simmer some pieces of chicken in water for
> > about 20 minutes. *The herbs and seasonings are completely up to you. *
> > That's about all there is to it.

> > Jill

> One can poach in any liquid, doesn't have to be water.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "any" liquid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 11:21*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:42:45 -0400, Goomba wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> Google is your friend. *Poached means cooked in water. *But unlike
> >> boiled chicken, it's not completely covered in water. *I'm pretty sure
> >> you can figure out how to simmer some pieces of chicken in water for
> >> about 20 minutes. *The herbs and seasonings are completely up to you.. *
> >> That's about all there is to it.

> >> Jill

> > One can poach in any liquid, doesn't have to be water.

> still you might try water before moving on to, say, maple syrup.
>
> your pal,
> blake

or gasoline.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:42:45 -0400, Goomba wrote:
>
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Google is your friend. Poached means cooked in water. But unlike
> >> boiled chicken, it's not completely covered in water. I'm pretty sure
> >> you can figure out how to simmer some pieces of chicken in water for
> >> about 20 minutes. The herbs and seasonings are completely up to you.
> >> That's about all there is to it.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > One can poach in any liquid, doesn't have to be water.

> still you might try water before moving on to, say, maple syrup.

> Your friend, Blake

A few quick questions, seemingly stupid, but I'm sure you won't
mind since you're my friend, Blake. I'm talking about poaching
boneless chicken breasts. Not for immediate use, but to cool and
slice later for pasta salads, etc. I used to steam them in bags in
the microwave and have boiled them. The micro was better. Ok, now
the questions, already answered I believe by several people in
different responses. #1, do the breasts need to be submerged? If
not, do they need to be turned? Is a lid to be used? Approx time?
Thanks. PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
but were actually quite good. I'm guessing that's what's good about
poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart. Anyway, those are my 3
questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,
although I'm not opposed to dolling them up with herbs, etc. Thanks.
And thanks again to all who responded.

Tommy Joe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just boil it. With your attitude and taste buds, you wouldn't understand
the difference, and your taste buds wouldn't appreciate the difference.

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message

> ........to look up "how to poach chicken", so am asking now if
> anyone can provide the answer, and more specifically, can it be done
> in a saute pan or pot, or does it require a special implement that I'm
> definitely not going to go out and buy. I believe the snobbish anti-
> microwave guy (Bryan), was one who suggested poaching the chicken
> instead of blasting it to hell in the microwave. Thanks.
>
> TJ (the cheap chef)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Salmon Ella wrote:

> Just boil it. With your attitude and taste buds, you wouldn't understand
> the difference, and your taste buds wouldn't appreciate the difference.

Whoa, ease up, Mr. Ella. Fact is you've never tasted my cooking
and I can tell you now that it's great, although perhaps a bit
limited. I make the best pasta salad you'll ever taste, anywhere,
anytime. You need to spend some time in a prisoner of war camp to
respect the fine art of simple cooking, you snob goblet you. Speaking
of boiled chicken, it's not so good cold, but eaten hot right off the
bone it's pretty damned good. Like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky #3
when he had to go back to his old neighborhood to regain his heart,
you need to go back to a world of poverty to regain whatever true
taste you had before you sullied it with all sorts of absurd sauces
and multi-syllabled condiments.

Tommy Joe (I'll take mine raw)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message

> Salmon Ella wrote:
>>

>> Just boil it. With your attitude and taste buds, you wouldn't understand
>> the difference, and your taste buds wouldn't appreciate the difference.

> Whoa, ease up, Mr. Ella. Fact is you've never tasted my cooking
> and I can tell you now that it's great, although perhaps a bit
> limited. I make the best pasta salad you'll ever taste, anywhere,
> anytime. You need to spend some time in a prisoner of war camp to
> respect the fine art of simple cooking, you snob goblet you. Speaking
> of boiled chicken, it's not so good cold, but eaten hot right off the
> bone it's pretty damned good. Like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky #3
> when he had to go back to his old neighborhood to regain his heart,
> you need to go back to a world of poverty to regain whatever true
> taste you had before you sullied it with all sorts of absurd sauces
> and multi-syllabled condiments.
>
> Tommy Joe (I'll take mine raw)

You rock, Tommy. Just sayin.' I lived on black beans with tons of fresh
garlic and cumin, a splash of cider vinegar cooked down slow and thick and
velvety, served over rice with a sprinkle of cheddar when I was in school.
That and a hot pasta dish with garlic, spinach, and parm cheese. Pots of
navy bean soup with a ham hock in it and 49 cent boxes of date nut muffin
mix that only needed water. All of it pretty decent nutrition, too. And then
there are eggs ....if you need any egg recipes let me know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:03:50 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> One can poach in any liquid, doesn't have to be water.

>> still you might try water before moving on to, say, maple syrup.

>> Your friend, Blake

> A few quick questions, seemingly stupid, but I'm sure you won't
> mind since you're my friend, Blake. I'm talking about poaching
> boneless chicken breasts. Not for immediate use, but to cool and
> slice later for pasta salads, etc. I used to steam them in bags in
> the microwave and have boiled them. The micro was better. Ok, now
> the questions, already answered I believe by several people in
> different responses. #1, do the breasts need to be submerged? If
> not, do they need to be turned? Is a lid to be used? Approx time?
> Thanks. PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
> micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
> but were actually quite good. I'm guessing that's what's good about
> poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart. Anyway, those are my 3
> questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
> earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,
> although I'm not opposed to dolling them up with herbs, etc. Thanks.
> And thanks again to all who responded.
>
> Tommy Joe

well, the maple syrup thing was joke (although i'm sure someone has done
it in water with a little syrup added).

i can't add much to the tips you've gotten, except that if money is tight
for you, you might try breasts with skin and bones or even thighs. the
boneless breasts i see are damned expensive.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:03:50 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> still you might try water before moving on to, say, maple syrup.

>>> Your friend, Blake

>> A few quick questions, seemingly stupid, but I'm sure you won't
>> mind since you're my friend, Blake. I'm talking about poaching
>> boneless chicken breasts. Not for immediate use, but to cool and
>> slice later for pasta salads, etc. I used to steam them in bags in
>> the microwave and have boiled them. The micro was better. Ok, now
>> the questions, already answered I believe by several people in
>> different responses. #1, do the breasts need to be submerged? If
>> not, do they need to be turned? Is a lid to be used? Approx time?
>> Thanks. PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
>> micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
>> but were actually quite good. I'm guessing that's what's good about
>> poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart. Anyway, those are my 3
>> questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
>> earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,
>> although I'm not opposed to dolling them up with herbs, etc. Thanks.
>> And thanks again to all who responded.
>>
>> Tommy Joe

> well, the maple syrup thing was joke (although i'm sure someone has done
> it in water with a little syrup added).
>
> i can't add much to the tips you've gotten, except that if money is tight
> for you, you might try breasts with skin and bones or even thighs. the
> boneless breasts i see are damned expensive.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Tommy should learn how to debone chicken breasts if he's hell bent on them.
I've never been able to cleanly debone chicken thighs but they're cheaper
than the breasts even when you buy them deboned. They're definitely more
moist. The skin is easy enough to pull off of either one. You pay about a
dollar more for someone to do that for you.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 10, 4:03*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:

> * * A few quick questions, ..... *I'm talking about poaching
> boneless chicken breasts. *Not for immediate use, but to cool and
> slice later for pasta salads, etc.

If you have a choice buy whole chicken breasts, with skin and bones.
They are cheaper, sometimes by a lot, and more flavorful to a
noticeable degree. Cook them and then skin and bone them for your
ultimate use.

*> *#1, do the breasts need to be submerged? *If
> not, do they need to be turned?

Better if submerged but it's not crucial. If not, then turn.

>*Is a lid to be used?

It's easier to see to regulate the heat if you don't have to keep
lifting the cover. You're trying to get the temp just below where the
liquid will barely bubble. The more the heat rises to the boil, the
more chance you will overcook and dry out (yes, even in water) the
food.

>*Approx time?

Try a half an hour to start. It'll depend on the actual temp and how
cold the chicken was to start with. Test after half an hour and put
back in to cook more if needed.

> Thanks. *PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
> micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
> but were actually quite good. *I'm guessing that's what's good about
> poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart.

The word "succulent" is what proper poaching will get you.

>*Anyway, those are my 3
> questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
> earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,

Water is fine. Light broth is good, too. Possible additions to the
poaching liquid to add subtle notes of flavor range from a slice of
fresh ginger and a scallion to a full mirepoix of carrots, celery and
onion. Sometimes a dash of white wine or sherry seems right, too. -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
On Jul 10, 4:03 pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:

> A few quick questions, ..... I'm talking about poaching
> boneless chicken breasts. Not for immediate use, but to cool and
> slice later for pasta salads, etc.

If you have a choice buy whole chicken breasts, with skin and bones.
They are cheaper, sometimes by a lot, and more flavorful to a
noticeable degree. Cook them and then skin and bone them for your
ultimate use.

> #1, do the breasts need to be submerged? If
> not, do they need to be turned?

Better if submerged but it's not crucial. If not, then turn.

> Is a lid to be used?

It's easier to see to regulate the heat if you don't have to keep
lifting the cover. You're trying to get the temp just below where the
liquid will barely bubble. The more the heat rises to the boil, the
more chance you will overcook and dry out (yes, even in water) the
food.

> Approx time?

Try a half an hour to start. It'll depend on the actual temp and how
cold the chicken was to start with. Test after half an hour and put
back in to cook more if needed.

> Thanks. PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
> micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
> but were actually quite good. I'm guessing that's what's good about
> poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart.

The word "succulent" is what proper poaching will get you.

> Anyway, those are my 3
> questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
> earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,

Water is fine. Light broth is good, too. Possible additions to the
poaching liquid to add subtle notes of flavor range from a slice of
fresh ginger and a scallion to a full mirepoix of carrots, celery and
onion. Sometimes a dash of white wine or sherry seems right, too. -
aem

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A good method for poaching skinless boneless chicken breasts is to wrap each
tightly in a double layer of saran, then poach... this way none of the
chickeny goodness will be given up to the poaching water... even better is
if the chicken is ground, seasoned, and formed into canelles, tastier, more
tender, and makes for a much nicer presentation. The whole concept of
poaching meat is to cook at low temperature so the protein doesn't seize and
become tough as is would with boiling/stewing. For those who enjoy aspics
(me) the chicken can be poached without the plastic wrap in a seasoned and
reduced gelatinous clarified chicken broth that also contains vegetables
like carrots and celery... then can be well chilled and served cold sliced
into cubes from a glass baking dish... serve these sparkling gems on a bed
of lettuce garnished with curly parsley sprigs, sliced eggs, and
horseradish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message ...

| A good method for poaching skinless boneless chicken breasts is to wrap each
| tightly in a double layer of saran, then poach... this way none of the
| chickeny goodness will be given up to the poaching water... even better is
| if the chicken is ground, seasoned, and formed into canelles,

You mean formed into quenelles. Canelles are small French pastries that
would be pretty weird with chicken added.
http://valanne.vox.com/library/posts/tags/canelles/
God, and you were a scullion for how long???

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:03:50 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe wrote:
>
> > blake murphy wrote:

> >> still you might try water before moving on to, say, maple syrup.

> >> Your friend, Blake

> > A few quick questions, seemingly stupid, but I'm sure you won't
> > mind since you're my friend, Blake. I'm talking about poaching
> > boneless chicken breasts. Not for immediate use, but to cool and
> > slice later for pasta salads, etc. I used to steam them in bags in
> > the microwave and have boiled them. The micro was better. Ok, now
> > the questions, already answered I believe by several people in
> > different responses. #1, do the breasts need to be submerged? If
> > not, do they need to be turned? Is a lid to be used? Approx time?
> > Thanks. PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
> > micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
> > but were actually quite good. I'm guessing that's what's good about
> > poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart. Anyway, those are my 3
> > questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
> > earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,
> > although I'm not opposed to dolling them up with herbs, etc. Thanks.
> > And thanks again to all who responded.
> >
> > Tommy Joe

> well, the maple syrup thing was joke (although i'm sure someone has done
> it in water with a little syrup added).
>
> i can't add much to the tips you've gotten, except that if money is tight
> for you, you might try breasts with skin and bones or even thighs. the
> boneless breasts i see are damned expensive.

Actually, I use both. I don't think the boneless ones are more
expensive when all is said and done. I equate the breasts with bones
and skin to buying cheap marijuana with lots of seeds and stems. But
I sometimes use the bone-in breasts if I'm making a soup. For the
pasta salad though I prefer the boneless ones. Money is a problem but
not in this case. With me it's more a matter of limited space and
cooking utensils and so forth. I never use the oven, it's filthy and
very old, plus I'm not too schooled on oven use, except for broiling
steaks and so forth, which I hate doing in this old electric one. All
my life I've lived in furnished places. In L.A. it was always gas
stoves. Around here it's electric. I prefer the gas. I know you
were kidding about the syrup. Thanks again.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> > Whoa, ease up, Mr. Ella. Fact is you've never tasted my cooking
> > and I can tell you now that it's great, although perhaps a bit
> > limited. I make the best pasta salad you'll ever taste, anywhere,
> > anytime. You need to spend some time in a prisoner of war camp to
> > respect the fine art of simple cooking, you snob goblet you. Speaking
> > of boiled chicken, it's not so good cold, but eaten hot right off the
> > bone it's pretty damned good. Like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky #3
> > when he had to go back to his old neighborhood to regain his heart,
> > you need to go back to a world of poverty to regain whatever true
> > taste you had before you sullied it with all sorts of absurd sauces
> > and multi-syllabled condiments.

> You rock, Tommy. Just sayin.' I lived on black beans with tons of fresh
> garlic and cumin, a splash of cider vinegar cooked down slow and thick and
> velvety, served over rice with a sprinkle of cheddar when I was in school.
> That and a hot pasta dish with garlic, spinach, and parm cheese. Pots of
> navy bean soup with a ham hock in it and 49 cent boxes of date nut muffin
> mix that only needed water. All of it pretty decent nutrition, too. And then
> there are eggs ....if you need any egg recipes let me know.

Thanks for that. I saw humor in your response though, some of
the expressions you used, a splash of cider vinegar, cooked down slow
and velvety, with a sprinkle of cheddar. I have done a lot of cheap
cooking in my time, but I sort of grew into making one-pot meals, not
always necessarily cooked, so all nutrition can be had in one
sitting. That's why I like the chicken pasta salad with tons of
veggies that don't get in the way, also soups and stews. Thanks for
the "you rock" thing. I also roll.

Tommy Joe (rolling on)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> A few quick questions, seemingly stupid, but I'm sure you won't
> >> mind since you're my friend, Blake. I'm talking about poaching
> >> boneless chicken breasts. Not for immediate use, but to cool and
> >> slice later for pasta salads, etc. I used to steam them in bags in
> >> the microwave and have boiled them. The micro was better. Ok, now
> >> the questions, already answered I believe by several people in
> >> different responses. #1, do the breasts need to be submerged? If
> >> not, do they need to be turned? Is a lid to be used? Approx time?
> >> Thanks. PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
> >> micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
> >> but were actually quite good. I'm guessing that's what's good about
> >> poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart. Anyway, those are my 3
> >> questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
> >> earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,
> >> although I'm not opposed to dolling them up with herbs, etc. Thanks.
> >> And thanks again to all who responded.
> >>
> >> Tommy Joe

> > well, the maple syrup thing was joke (although i'm sure someone has done
> > it in water with a little syrup added).
> >
> > i can't add much to the tips you've gotten, except that if money is tight
> > for you, you might try breasts with skin and bones or even thighs. the
> > boneless breasts i see are damned expensive.
> >
> > your pal,
> > blake

> Tommy should learn how to debone chicken breasts if he's hell bent on them.
> I've never been able to cleanly debone chicken thighs but they're cheaper
> than the breasts even when you buy them deboned. They're definitely more
> moist. The skin is easy enough to pull off of either one. You pay about a
> dollar more for someone to do that for you.
>
> Jill

Love the thighs in soups and stews, but for cold pasta salads or
sandwiches and so forth it's got to be the breast. I don't mind
buying the boneless ones. I have bought them with the bone and
simmered them, then put them under cold running water and take out the
bone right away before it congeals. I find it's easy to debone the
breast when it's hot. If I buy thighs I almost always get the
boneless. Thanks to you too.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jul 10, 4:03 pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> >
> > A few quick questions, ..... I'm talking about poaching
> > boneless chicken breasts. Not for immediate use, but to cool and
> > slice later for pasta salads, etc.

> If you have a choice buy whole chicken breasts, with skin and bones.
> They are cheaper, sometimes by a lot, and more flavorful to a
> noticeable degree. Cook them and then skin and bone them for your
> ultimate use.
>
> > #1, do the breasts need to be submerged? If
> > not, do they need to be turned?

> Better if submerged but it's not crucial. If not, then turn.
>
> > Is a lid to be used?

> It's easier to see to regulate the heat if you don't have to keep
> lifting the cover. You're trying to get the temp just below where the
> liquid will barely bubble. The more the heat rises to the boil, the
> more chance you will overcook and dry out (yes, even in water) the
> food.
>
> > Approx time?

> Try a half an hour to start. It'll depend on the actual temp and how
> cold the chicken was to start with. Test after half an hour and put
> back in to cook more if needed.
>
> > Thanks. PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
> > micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
> > but were actually quite good. I'm guessing that's what's good about
> > poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart.

> The word "succulent" is what proper poaching will get you.
>
> > Anyway, those are my 3
> > questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
> > earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,

> Water is fine. Light broth is good, too. Possible additions to the
> poaching liquid to add subtle notes of flavor range from a slice of
> fresh ginger and a scallion to a full mirepoix of carrots, celery and
> onion. Sometimes a dash of white wine or sherry seems right, too. -
> aem

That was beautiful, thanks. I sort of knew a lot of that but have
lost some confidence in many things over the years. You should see me
when it's time to buy new athletic shoes. It's a majorly stressful
event, which is why I've been wearing the same beat down 3 pair for
the last 8 years. I used to just float with things, now I feel the
need to ask people, to get reassurance. But you did a great job of it
and I appreciate it tremendously. You put it very simply and nicely
and I'll be making them this week. Thanks.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
> On Jul 10, 4:03 pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> >
> > A few quick questions, ..... I'm talking about poaching
> > boneless chicken breasts. Not for immediate use, but to cool and
> > slice later for pasta salads, etc.

> If you have a choice buy whole chicken breasts, with skin and bones.
> They are cheaper, sometimes by a lot, and more flavorful to a
> noticeable degree. Cook them and then skin and bone them for your
> ultimate use.
>
> > #1, do the breasts need to be submerged? If
> > not, do they need to be turned?

> Better if submerged but it's not crucial. If not, then turn.
>
> > Is a lid to be used?

> It's easier to see to regulate the heat if you don't have to keep
> lifting the cover. You're trying to get the temp just below where the
> liquid will barely bubble. The more the heat rises to the boil, the
> more chance you will overcook and dry out (yes, even in water) the
> food.
>
> > Approx time?

> Try a half an hour to start. It'll depend on the actual temp and how
> cold the chicken was to start with. Test after half an hour and put
> back in to cook more if needed.
>
> > Thanks. PS........When I used to make them in the steamer bags in the
> > micro, sometimes they'd look almost not completely done on the outside
> > but were actually quite good. I'm guessing that's what's good about
> > poaching, it doesn't rip the meat apart.

> The word "succulent" is what proper poaching will get you.
>
> > Anyway, those are my 3
> > questions, and I'll probably be using just water, as I mentioned
> > earlier I'm cooking these breasts for later use in salads, etc.,

> Water is fine. Light broth is good, too. Possible additions to the
> poaching liquid to add subtle notes of flavor range from a slice of
> fresh ginger and a scallion to a full mirepoix of carrots, celery and
> onion. Sometimes a dash of white wine or sherry seems right, too. -
> aem
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> A good method for poaching skinless boneless chicken breasts is to wrap each
> tightly in a double layer of saran, then poach... this way none of the
> chickeny goodness will be given up to the poaching water... even better is
> if the chicken is ground, seasoned, and formed into canelles, tastier, more
> tender, and makes for a much nicer presentation. The whole concept of
> poaching meat is to cook at low temperature so the protein doesn't seize and
> become tough as is would with boiling/stewing. For those who enjoy aspics
> (me) the chicken can be poached without the plastic wrap in a seasoned and
> reduced gelatinous clarified chicken broth that also contains vegetables
> like carrots and celery... then can be well chilled and served cold sliced
> into cubes from a glass baking dish... serve these sparkling gems on a bed
> of lettuce garnished with curly parsley sprigs, sliced eggs, and
> horseradish.

Thanks to you as well. Funny thing, I understand liking chicken
tender and moist, but when it comes to putting slices in pasta salads,
etc., I kind of like them dry. Not mealy like they get when you boil
them too long, but more like when they come out of the broiler or
oven, which I don't use. I appreciate all the responses from
everyone. I don't keep saran wrap around the house, too dangerous if
I ever get in the mood to kill myself.

Tommy Joe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote
> Thanks for that. I saw humor in your response though, some of
> the expressions you used, a splash of cider vinegar, cooked down slow
> and velvety, with a sprinkle of cheddar.

I may have been hungry when I posted. Plus, black beans are a major fav of
mine, prepared that way.

I have done a lot of cheap
> cooking in my time, but I sort of grew into making one-pot meals, not
> always necessarily cooked, so all nutrition can be had in one
> sitting. That's why I like the chicken pasta salad with tons of
> veggies that don't get in the way, also soups and stews.

I like these too, particularly with braised beef, as in beef stew and soup.
I don't think I would care for poached chicken, though. But who knows.