Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default filtering pickle juice to make salad dressing

After i've eaten some home made pickled onions (made with half water and
half Sarsons malt vinegar) I'm left with the vinegary and 'cloudy' juice.

I thought I would like to use this juice to mix with olive oil and raw
garlic to make a salad dressing. (Vinegrette).

Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that make it
cloudy?

Maybe I could use a white paper kitchen towel. But could it be that I would
be washing some chemicals out of the towel that would not be good to eat?
Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

john royce said...

> Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.

A paper coffee filter comes to mind.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"john royce" > wrote:

> After i've eaten some home made pickled onions (made with half water and
> half Sarsons malt vinegar) I'm left with the vinegary and 'cloudy' juice.
>
> I thought I would like to use this juice to mix with olive oil and raw
> garlic to make a salad dressing. (Vinegrette).
>
> Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that make it
> cloudy?
>
> Maybe I could use a white paper kitchen towel. But could it be that I would
> be washing some chemicals out of the towel that would not be good to eat?
> Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.
> Thanks.

Try an unbleached paper coffee filter.
Let us know how it works out. ;-)

I generally save commercial pickle juice for pickling other veggies, or
sometimes hard boiled eggs.

I'm fixin' to make a batch of pickled eggs here shortly using red chard
juice instead of beet juice to get the red coloring I like.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> john royce said...
>
> > Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.

> A paper coffee filter comes to mind.
>
> Andy

'Doh!

;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

john royce wrote:
> After i've eaten some home made pickled onions (made with half water and
> half Sarsons malt vinegar) I'm left with the vinegary and 'cloudy' juice.
>
> I thought I would like to use this juice to mix with olive oil and raw
> garlic to make a salad dressing. (Vinegrette).
>
> Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that make it
> cloudy?
>
> Maybe I could use a white paper kitchen towel. But could it be that I would
> be washing some chemicals out of the towel that would not be good to eat?
> Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.
> Thanks.

Set a coffee filter in a sieve and run the liquid through it into a cup
or bowl.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 9-Jul-2009, "john royce" > wrote:
>
>> After i've eaten some home made pickled onions (made with half water and
>> half Sarsons malt vinegar) I'm left with the vinegary and 'cloudy'
>> juice.
>>
>> I thought I would like to use this juice to mix with olive oil and raw
>> garlic to make a salad dressing. (Vinegrette).
>>
>> Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that make
>> it
>> cloudy?
>>
>> Maybe I could use a white paper kitchen towel. But could it be that I
>> would
>> be washing some chemicals out of the towel that would not be good to eat?
>> Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.
>> Thanks.

> If it were me, I'd filter it through a paper coffee filter.

Thanks to all. never drinking coffee the obvious just didn't occur to
me.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

john royce wrote:

> "l, not -l" > wrote in message
> >
> > If it were me, I'd filter it through a paper coffee filter.

> Thanks to all. never drinking coffee the obvious just didn't occur to
> me.....

In which case, a coffee filter is not the best solution for you.

I've made coffee using a paper towel as a filter,
when I ran out of regular coffee filters. I don't
see any reason why you could not use it as a filter
for another purpose.

Except, of course, for the use of 3-bis-paclobutrizol
as a binding agent for the fibers in paper towels.
But fears of this chemical are completely overblown.
Almost none of it separates from the fibers -- that's
why they use it. I know it sounds crazy to use such
a highly toxic and carcinogenic chemical in paper
towels, but numerous studies sponsored by the big
three paper towel companies show that the lifetime
risk is less than that from smoking one cigarette
per day -- virtually no risk at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

john royce wrote:

> After i've eaten some home made pickled onions (made with half water and
> half Sarsons malt vinegar) I'm left with the vinegary and 'cloudy' juice.
>
> I thought I would like to use this juice to mix with olive oil and raw
> garlic to make a salad dressing. (Vinegrette).
>
> Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that make it
> cloudy?
>
> Maybe I could use a white paper kitchen towel. But could it be that I would
> be washing some chemicals out of the towel that would not be good to eat?
> Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.
> Thanks.

You can try a coffee filter, but it won't filter out all the fines.
Since it's for salad dressing, why bother anyway? By the time you add
the olive oil, garlic and seasonings, it's hardly going to show. And
'broken' dressings (ie not fully emulsified) seem to be very trendy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:

> On 9-Jul-2009, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > john royce wrote:

> > > Thanks to all. never drinking coffee the obvious just didn't occur to
> > > me.....

> > In which case, a coffee filter is not the best solution for you.

> Unless family, friends or neighbors do drink coffee, in which case you can
> mooch a single filter. ;-)
>
> In a pinch, a stocking or pantyhose (I'd use clean ones) can be used as a
> filter.

Sheldon would pay extra for a dirty one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"john royce" > wrote:
> Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that make it
> cloudy?

Coffee filter or paper towel.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 17:27:48 -0600, Arri London wrote:

> john royce wrote:
>>
>> After i've eaten some home made pickled onions (made with half water and
>> half Sarsons malt vinegar) I'm left with the vinegary and 'cloudy' juice.
>>
>> I thought I would like to use this juice to mix with olive oil and raw
>> garlic to make a salad dressing. (Vinegrette).
>>
>> Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that make it
>> cloudy?
>>
>> Maybe I could use a white paper kitchen towel. But could it be that I would
>> be washing some chemicals out of the towel that would not be good to eat?
>> Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.
>> Thanks.

> You can try a coffee filter, but it won't filter out all the fines.
> Since it's for salad dressing, why bother anyway? By the time you add
> the olive oil, garlic and seasonings, it's hardly going to show. And
> 'broken' dressings (ie not fully emulsified) seem to be very trendy.

that was my thought as well. (not sure about the 'broken dressings' part,
though.) how ugly could it be?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 17:27:48 -0600, Arri London wrote:
>
>> john royce wrote:
>>>
>>> After i've eaten some home made pickled onions (made with half water and
>>> half Sarsons malt vinegar) I'm left with the vinegary and 'cloudy'
>>> juice.
>>>
>>> I thought I would like to use this juice to mix with olive oil and raw
>>> garlic to make a salad dressing. (Vinegrette).
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that
>>> make it
>>> cloudy?
>>>
>>> Maybe I could use a white paper kitchen towel. But could it be that I
>>> would
>>> be washing some chemicals out of the towel that would not be good to
>>> eat?
>>> Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.
>>> Thanks.

>> You can try a coffee filter, but it won't filter out all the fines.
>> Since it's for salad dressing, why bother anyway? By the time you add
>> the olive oil, garlic and seasonings, it's hardly going to show. And
>> 'broken' dressings (ie not fully emulsified) seem to be very trendy.

> that was my thought as well.

But it is fun to watch anal retentive people chase their tails!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 17:27:48 -0600, Arri London wrote:
>
> > john royce wrote:
> >>
> >> After i've eaten some home made pickled onions (made with half water and
> >> half Sarsons malt vinegar) I'm left with the vinegary and 'cloudy' juice.
> >>
> >> I thought I would like to use this juice to mix with olive oil and raw
> >> garlic to make a salad dressing. (Vinegrette).
> >>
> >> Is there an easy way to *filter* the particles out of the juice that make it
> >> cloudy?
> >>
> >> Maybe I could use a white paper kitchen towel. But could it be that I would
> >> be washing some chemicals out of the towel that would not be good to eat?
> >> Any suggestions on how to filter these very fine particles appreciated.
> >> Thanks.

> > You can try a coffee filter, but it won't filter out all the fines.
> > Since it's for salad dressing, why bother anyway? By the time you add
> > the olive oil, garlic and seasonings, it's hardly going to show. And
> > 'broken' dressings (ie not fully emulsified) seem to be very trendy.

> that was my thought as well. (not sure about the 'broken dressings' part,
> though.) how ugly could it be?
>
> your pal,
> blake

It won't be visible. Hey broken dressings are easy to make...that's how
my vinaigrettes sometimes end up anyway. Always at the forefront of
trendiness