Member

Default Essentially British

I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen. Some of you may think this very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will be real cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown on site as it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the restaurant. Your thoughts please.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

norfolk wrote on Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:07:05 +0100:

> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'.
> Which will focus on ONLY British food, no imported
> ingredients. If not native to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my
> kitchen. Some of you may think this very restrictive but sit &
> think for a while. This will be real cooking, no hidden
> flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown on site as
> it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> restaurant. Your thoughts please.

Apart from a few things imported from the Empire, that used to be
British cooking and we all know what it was like!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 7, 11:07*am, norfolk dumplin <norfolk.dumplin.
> wrote:
> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
> to UK, it WILL NOT *be used in my kitchen. Some of you may think this
> very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will be real
> cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown
> on site as it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> restaurant. Your thoughts please.

lol.....good luck in bankruptcy....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> norfolk wrote on Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:07:05 +0100:
>
> > I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'.
> > Which will focus on ONLY British food, no imported
> > ingredients. If not native to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my
> > kitchen. Some of you may think this very restrictive but sit &
> > think for a while. This will be real cooking, no hidden
> > flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown on site as
> > it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> > restaurant. Your thoughts please.

> Apart from a few things imported from the Empire, that used to be
> British cooking and we all know what it was like!

Who can forget this description of classic British fa

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...8e0399fd0e5e40
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"norfolk dumplin" > wrote in
message . ..

> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen. Some of you may think this
> very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will be real
> cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown
> on site as it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> restaurant. Your thoughts please.

Tourist's heaven:
French cook
British police
German mechanic
Italian lover
and the Swiss run everything

Tourist's hell:
British cook
German police
French mechanic
Swiss lover
and the Italians run everything

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 7, 1:03*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *norfolk *wrote *on Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:07:05 +0100:
>
> > I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'.
> > Which will focus on ONLY British food, no imported
> > ingredients. If not native to UK, it WILL NOT *be used in my
> > kitchen. Some of you may think this very restrictive but sit &
> > think for a while. This will be real cooking, no hidden
> > flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown on site as
> > it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> > restaurant. Your thoughts please.

> Apart from a few things imported from the Empire, that used to be
> British cooking and we all know what it was like!
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

What's the name? How 'bout "Taters, Taters, and more Taters"!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

norfolk dumplin wrote:
> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen. Some of you may think this
> very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will be real
> cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown
> on site as it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> restaurant. Your thoughts please.

Don't offer "mushy peas" I didn't find much I liked about the food in
the UK but the mushy peas were the very worst. UGH! There was not enough
malt vinegar in the universe to make them taste good. JMHO.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

norfolk dumplin wrote:
> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen. Some of you may think this
> very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will be real
> cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown
> on site as it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> restaurant. Your thoughts please.

Not a new idea, though perhaps your strictures are more severe than the
phenomena of the last 25 - 30 years .... im thinking of .... like, oh,
for example, "From the Tables of Britain" by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz.

Gourmet English food. English and not French, which is what used to be
English Gourmet food.

She makes it clear in her text that while English cooks have not
abandoned the disciplines of classical technique, "they have adapted the
greatness of the past to contemporary needs, using modern foodstuff and
modern kitchen technologies."

One of Escoffier's radicalism's was an insistence on only the very
freshest and best ingredients, an attitude that has become much more
widely respected than in his day. Seasonal and local while not
neglecting those excellent food products that must, for one reason or
another, be imported. Or purchased commercially as a product. Salt for
example as much as any particular seasoning like Pique seasoning or
Worcestershire Sauce.

I mean, rum and brandy mousse? what kind of rum and brandy you going to use?

Chicken breasts with juniper berry sauce or pheasant breasts in ginger
and whisky sauce definitely doable assuming good Scotch whisky is allowed
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > wrote in message
> The message >
> from norfolk dumplin >
> contains these words:
>

>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
>> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
>> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen.

> So, no potatoes, tomatoes, tea, coffee, chocolate, dried beans or
> spices? None of those are native to Britain
>

> If you mean, you intend to serve only ingredients grown in Britain,
> you can have potatoes and
> tomatoes but still no coffee, tea and chocolate.
>
> Some of you may think this
>> very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will be real
>> cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown
>> on site as it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
>> restaurant.

> no fish, then.
>
> Your thoughts please.
>
> I bet you've never tried to feed yourself, all year round, on
> whatever you grew yourself.
>
> How are you planning to produce eggs and cream all year round?

You are such a ****ing pill, Tony.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> So, no potatoes, tomatoes, tea, coffee, chocolate, dried beans or
> spices? None of those are native to Britain
>

> If you mean, you intend to serve only ingredients grown in Britain,
> you can have potatoes and
> tomatoes but still no coffee, tea and chocolate.

Last June when I was in Estonia I went to a restaurant that had only
foods that had been available in the region in the 1400s. it was an
interesting meal. I had boar served with a berry sauce, turnips, sphelt,
barley, rye bread, onion jam. I was not impressed with the honey beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> If you mean, you intend to serve only ingredients grown in Britain,
> you can have potatoes and
> tomatoes but still no coffee, tea and chocolate.

Or black pepper, cinnamon, or brown sugar.
Are there beet-sugar refineries in Britain?
If not, no white sugar, either.

On the other hand, with the recent success of the BNP,
he might be on to something. He might be planning
to appeal to a certain clientele who will patronize
his establishment for ideological reasons. They might
even convince themselves that the food is better for
these ideological reasons. Like those people who eat
Marmite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Janet Baraclough wrote:
>> If you mean, you intend to serve only ingredients grown in Britain,
>> you can have potatoes and
>> tomatoes but still no coffee, tea and chocolate.

> Or black pepper, cinnamon, or brown sugar.
> Are there beet-sugar refineries in Britain?
> If not, no white sugar, either.

The same can be said of much of Europe. Just look at the staples of
European cooking and see how many of them came from the Americas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

norfolk dumplin said...

> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen.

This has the "look and feel" of a troll post.

It should be called "Entirely British."

"Essentially British" makes NO sense at all.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> norfolk dumplin said...
>
>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
>> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
>> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen.

> This has the "look and feel" of a troll post.

Sez the expert on starting TROLL POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> It should be called "Entirely British."
>
> "Essentially British" makes NO sense at all.

'Bout as much sense as anything posted by Andy

> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

norfolk dumplin > wrote in
:

> Your thoughts please.

Reminds me of that episode of Chef when Gareth is taking part in an
international cooking competition in France (season 2, episode 7). He was
to make a truly English dish using only local ingredients, including wine.
When it came time to include the wine, the bottle had disappeared and he
was forced to go around to wine shops asking them for English wine. Of
course, they thought he was insane :-)

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Janet Baraclough wrote:
> >> If you mean, you intend to serve only ingredients grown in Britain,
> >> you can have potatoes and
> >> tomatoes but still no coffee, tea and chocolate.

> > Or black pepper, cinnamon, or brown sugar.
> > Are there beet-sugar refineries in Britain?
> > If not, no white sugar, either.

> The same can be said of much of Europe. Just look at the staples of
> European cooking and see how many of them came from the Americas.

An important distinction being whether the line
is drawn on ingredients that were originally from
elsewhere but are produced domestically now vs.
ingredients that have always been produced
domestically. Of course, if it's the latter,
how far back does "always" mean? Prehistoric
times? Roman times? Europeans did not always
have wheat. Heck, if you go back far enough,
they haven't always had any farmed food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Norman Paperman said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9C41C11A0A8F5CotD@

216.196.97.131...
>> norfolk dumplin said...
>>
>>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
>>> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
>>> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen.

>> This has the "look and feel" of a troll post.

> Sez the expert on starting TROLL POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

>> It should be called "Entirely British."
>>
>> "Essentially British" makes NO sense at all.

> 'Bout as much sense as anything posted by Andy
>

>> Andy

How ineffectual can you get?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > contains these words:
>
>> Chicken breasts with juniper berry sauce or pheasant breasts in ginger
>> and whisky sauce definitely doable assuming good Scotch whisky is allowed

> Ginger isn't; it's not native or produced in Britain.
>
> Janet.

It's not "our" restaurant; we don't get to make the rules.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients.

Don't overlook the fact that 90 per cent of all restaurants that open
this year will close before the next tax filing year.

A "British" restaurant would not compel me to join in a bland food
experience. Best of luck...you will need it more than you know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
>> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients.

> Don't overlook the fact that 90 per cent of all restaurants that open
> this year will close before the next tax filing year.
>
> A "British" restaurant would not compel me to join in a bland food
> experience.

Such ignorance!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
>>> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients.

>> Don't overlook the fact that 90 per cent of all restaurants that open
>> this year will close before the next tax filing year.
>>
>> A "British" restaurant would not compel me to join in a bland food
>> experience.

> Such ignorance!!

And that's his good side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> An message from "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." contains these words:
>

>>Chicken breasts with juniper berry sauce or pheasant breasts in ginger
>>and whisky sauce definitely doable assuming good Scotch whisky is allowed

> Ginger isn't; it's not native or produced in Britain.
>
> Janet.

Op. cit. i was giving the OP the benefit of a liberal interpretation of
what i thought he might have possibly meant, the spirit of what he
wrote, as opposed to what he actually wrote, the spirit and not the
letter of what he wrote, im not sure if he meant to be as restrictive as
he indicated originally.

However, using a strict interpretation of the original post, it should
be possible to make an excellent diet and cuisine from what is available
under the conditions specified. A lot more work than i would want to go
to, for a inevitably simple cuisine. Lots of nuts and berries i assume?
A much more strict seasonal rotation of foodstuffs than i would want to
have to live on daily. But as a restaurant experience? who knows? it
might catch on. Beer, wine and even hard liquor would seem to be
acceptable. That can cover up a lot of deficiencies in an otherwise
boring .... er ... simple diet

I have considered starting a Wholly Roman Emporium and sell only things
originating from with in the geographical confines of the old Holy Roman
Empire

Aren't there 'recreations' of stone age or mediaeval villages in Britain
where one can purchase an modern interpretation of a stone age or
mediaeval bite to eat?

There are places like that in the states where you can have a miners
meal or dine at a recreation of a colonial inn, with authentic period
food. Even if one attended a real Native american potlatch one is less
likely to get traditional Native food than at one of the more touristy &
new agey 'gathering of the tribes' that put an emphasis on 'traditional
foods'. To the amusement of many Natives, who are amused by anyone
choosing, lard fried ferns and buffalo jerky or "saddle meat" over a
nice salad Nicoise and a grilled filet mignon
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://mac.easthouston.net/thehound/...3s/start32.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> norfolk dumplin said...
>

>>I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
>>will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
>>to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen.

> This has the "look and feel" of a troll post.

Been reading RFC Long Andy?

Some people like a nice bit of roasted troll

> It should be called "Entirely British."
>
> "Essentially British" makes NO sense at all.
>
> Andy

Especially to a Brit
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://mac.easthouston.net/thehound/...3s/start13.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'.
>>> Which
>>> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients.

>> Don't overlook the fact that 90 per cent of all restaurants that
>> open
>> this year will close before the next tax filing year.
>>
>> A "British" restaurant would not compel me to join in a bland food
>> experience.

> Such ignorance!!

They'll never learn will they, Graham? <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ms P" > wrote:

> Tourist's heaven:
> French cook
> British police
> German mechanic
> Italian lover
> and the Swiss run everything
>

> Tourist's hell:
> British cook
> German police
> French mechanic
> Swiss lover
> and the Italians run everything

Here's a rather old American men's version.

Heaven:
An American salary, Japanese wife, English home and a Chinese cook.

Hell:
A Chinese salary, American wife, Japanese home, and an English cook.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 20:03:39 GMT, "James Silverton"
> fired up random neurons and synapses
to opine:

> norfolk wrote on Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:07:05 +0100:
>
>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'.
>> Which will focus on ONLY British food, no imported
>> ingredients. If not native to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my
>> kitchen. Some of you may think this very restrictive but sit &
>> think for a while. This will be real cooking, no hidden
>> flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown on site as
>> it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
>> restaurant. Your thoughts please.

>Apart from a few things imported from the Empire, that used to be
>British cooking and we all know what it was like!

I did not see the original post, but it reminded me of a story about a
Welsh sausage maker that was forbidden to use the term "Welsh Dragon
Sausages" in their product packaging (for those unfamiliar, the Red
Dragon - or Y Ddraig Goch - it's iconic for Wales). It seems there's
no *real* dragon meat in "Welsh Dragon Sausages," which advertising
might mislead the public. <snort!>

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2007/0...g_welsh_d.html

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"norfolk dumplin" > wrote in
message . ..

> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen. Some of you may think this
> very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will be real
> cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown
> on site as it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> restaurant. Your thoughts please.

What tea is grown in Britain? Coffee beans? How about peppercorns?
Chocolate made from cocoa?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 19:07:03 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

>Such ignorance!!

I condon you to approve of your opinion....why shouldn't I enjoy that
delight?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. said...

> Andy wrote:
>> norfolk dumplin said...
>>

>>>I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
>>>will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
>>>to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen.

>> This has the "look and feel" of a troll post.

> Been reading RFC Long Andy?
>
> Some people like a nice bit of roasted troll
>

>> It should be called "Entirely British."
>>
>> "Essentially British" makes NO sense at all.
>>
>> Andy

> Especially to a Brit

JL,

[Waving!]

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 19:07:03 -0600, "graham" > wrote:
>
>>Such ignorance!!

> I condon you to approve of your opinion....why shouldn't I enjoy that
> delight?

I see that you are also ignorant of the English language!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:21:52 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

>I see that you are also ignorant of the English language!

Pardon me bucko.....didn't realize that YOU are the only person that
can contribute an opinion.

Keep it to yourself...I already have formed my opinion of you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 7, 5:00*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Jul 7, 1:03*pm, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
>

> > *norfolk *wrote *on Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:07:05 +0100:

> > > I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'.
> > > Which will focus on ONLY British food, no imported
> > > ingredients. If not native to UK, it WILL NOT *be used in my
> > > kitchen. Some of you may think this very restrictive but sit &
> > > think for a while. This will be real cooking, no hidden
> > > flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown on site as
> > > it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
> > > restaurant. Your thoughts please.

> > Apart from a few things imported from the Empire, that used to be
> > British cooking and we all know what it was like!
> > --

> > James Silverton
> > Potomac, Maryland

> > Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> What's the name? How 'bout "Taters, Taters, and more Taters"!-

Sorry, not native to the UK. Came from South America post-Columbus.

What are we left with? Mutton and barley? At some point, even those
were introduced, so I guess we'll have to draw a cutoff line
somewhere.
1500? 1800? 2009?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

>> The same can be said of much of Europe. Just look at the staples of
>> European cooking and see how many of them came from the Americas.

> An important distinction being whether the line
> is drawn on ingredients that were originally from
> elsewhere but are produced domestically now vs.
> ingredients that have always been produced
> domestically. Of course, if it's the latter,
> how far back does "always" mean? Prehistoric
> times? Roman times? Europeans did not always
> have wheat. Heck, if you go back far enough,
> they haven't always had any farmed food.

Perhaps it can include all foods that were available when it became
Britain. Like most of the rest of the world, it is a country that has
seen a lot of population changes as people invaded/ moved in from a
variety of western European regions. As they came they brought their
various foods with them. There were Picts, Gaels, Celts, Romans, Danes,
Anglo Saxons, French etc. Each has made significant contributions.

Britain became a major world power in the 1500s as it sent out explorers
privateers and its navy to colonize and empire that spanned the globe,
and there is every reason to include the products that came to Britain
from its empire.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote on Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:39:55 +0100:

>> I have considered starting a Wholly Roman Emporium and sell
>> only things originating from with in the geographical
>> confines of the old Holy Roman Empire

> Britain was occupied by the Roman Empire; so put fish and
> chips and bread and butter pudding on the menu.

The phrase the OP used was "native to Britain", which is rather
limiting. The Romans were fond of a sauce thay used like ketchup called
Garum. Apparently, it was like the cruder forms of Southeast Asian
fermented fish sauces so perhaps Thai food might get in.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 15:49:07 -0500, Ms P wrote:

> "norfolk dumplin" > wrote in
> message . ..
>>
>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
>> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
>> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen. Some of you may think this
>> very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will be real
>> cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the food. All grown
>> on site as it will be part of a farm given over to produce just for the
>> restaurant. Your thoughts please.
>>

> Tourist's heaven:
> French cook
> British police
> German mechanic
> Italian lover
> and the Swiss run everything
>
> Tourist's hell:
> British cook
> German police
> French mechanic
> Swiss lover
> and the Italians run everything
>
> Ms P

hey! *i* made the trains run on time!

your pal,
benito

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 21:56:19 -0400, Dora wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> norfolk dumplin wrote:
>>> I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'.
>>> Which
>>> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not
>>> native to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen. Some of you may
>>> think this very restrictive but sit & think for a while. This will
>>> be real cooking, no hidden flavours just the real taste of the
>>> food.
>>> All grown on site as it will be part of a farm given over to
>>> produce
>>> just for the restaurant. Your thoughts please.
>>>

>> Don't offer "mushy peas" I didn't find much I liked about the food
>> in
>> the UK but the mushy peas were the very worst. UGH! There was not
>> enough malt vinegar in the universe to make them taste good. JMHO.

> I concede - mushy peas should be kicked off the planet.
>
> Dora

now you've gone and hurt their feelings.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:21:52 -0600, graham wrote:

> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 19:07:03 -0600, "graham" > wrote:
>>
>>>Such ignorance!!

>> I condon you to approve of your opinion....why shouldn't I enjoy that
>> delight?
>>

> I see that you are also ignorant of the English language!

it must mean something, but i'm at a loss as to what it might be.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:46:00 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

> The OP set the rules for his own restaurant. He said
>
> "I intend on opening a restaurant called 'Essentially British'. Which
> will focus on ONLY British food, no imported ingredients. If not native
> to UK, it WILL NOT be used in my kitchen."

I interpreted it to mean "grown in" Britain. So, he'll serve wine if
the grapes were grown and bottled there.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > contains these
> words:
>
>> I have considered starting a Wholly Roman Emporium and sell only things
>> originating from with in the geographical confines of the old Holy Roman
>> Empire

> Britain was occupied by the Roman Empire; so put fish and chips and
> bread and butter pudding on the menu.

<snip>

The Holy Roman Empire isn't the Roman Empire.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Janet wrote on Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:39:55 +0100:
>
>>> I have considered starting a Wholly Roman Emporium and sell
>>> only things originating from with in the geographical
>>> confines of the old Holy Roman Empire

>> Britain was occupied by the Roman Empire; so put fish and
>> chips and bread and butter pudding on the menu.

> The phrase the OP used was "native to Britain", which is rather
> limiting. The Romans were fond of a sauce thay used like ketchup
> called Garum. Apparently, it was like the cruder forms of Southeast
> Asian fermented fish sauces so perhaps Thai food might get in.

How about The Dreaded British Rail Sandwich, James...???

;-P

--
Best
Greg

British measurements? Lenona General Cooking 102 28-01-2012 05:50 PM
Are there any British out there? old west tea Tea 12 07-09-2006 12:15 PM
British Tea Christopher Richards Tea 1 14-12-2005 12:12 PM
The British Tea Break Christopher Richards Tea 30 21-11-2004 05:18 PM
British food Davio McDavitt General Cooking 10 10-08-2004 12:58 PM