Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilled Flank Steak

Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

I sprinkled it lightly with some powdered chili, then rubbed it with
some garlic that I ran through the microplane. I put it in a plastic
bag with some olive oil and let marinade for about an hour.
http://i39.tinypic.com/zw1fdl.jpg

While the steak was marinating I tossed some asparagus with olive oil
and salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ecqlg6.jpg

When the asparagus was done the steak went on the grill.
This is Stan's trusty Hibachi he's had since the '70's. I used half
charcoal and half mesquite.
http://i39.tinypic.com/1f8dhy.jpg

Mmm looking good. Then rested before slicing.
http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg

Dinner is served.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>
> I sprinkled it lightly with some powdered chili, then rubbed it with
> some garlic that I ran through the microplane. I put it in a plastic
> bag with some olive oil and let marinade for about an hour.
> http://i39.tinypic.com/zw1fdl.jpg
>
> While the steak was marinating I tossed some asparagus with olive oil
> and salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/2ecqlg6.jpg
>
> When the asparagus was done the steak went on the grill.
> This is Stan's trusty Hibachi he's had since the '70's. I used half
> charcoal and half mesquite.
> http://i39.tinypic.com/1f8dhy.jpg
>
> Mmm looking good. Then rested before slicing.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg
>
> Dinner is served.
> http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 07/05

Koko you mentioned Mequite

How much are you US folks paying retail for it and what package sizes
does it sell in ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phil-c" <invalid@invalid> wrote in message
> koko wrote:
>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one. I sprinkled it lightly with some
>> powdered chili, then rubbed it with
>> some garlic that I ran through the microplane. I put it in a plastic
>> bag with some olive oil and let marinade for about an hour.
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/zw1fdl.jpg
>>
>> While the steak was marinating I tossed some asparagus with olive oil
>> and salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill.
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/2ecqlg6.jpg
>>
>> When the asparagus was done the steak went on the grill. This is Stan's
>> trusty Hibachi he's had since the '70's. I used half
>> charcoal and half mesquite. http://i39.tinypic.com/1f8dhy.jpg
>>
>> Mmm looking good. Then rested before slicing.
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg
>>
>> Dinner is served. http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg
>>
>> koko
>> --
>>
>> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
>> George Bernard Shaw
>> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>> updated 07/05

> Koko you mentioned Mequite
>
> How much are you US folks paying retail for it and what package sizes
> does it sell in ?

Mesquite is a weed that grows wild in Texas. They give it away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 10:38*pm, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
> koko wrote:
> > Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
> > steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

> > I sprinkled it lightly with some powdered chili, then rubbed it with
> > some garlic that I ran through the microplane. I put it in a plastic
> > bag with some olive oil and let marinade for about an hour.
> >http://i39.tinypic.com/zw1fdl.jpg

> > While the steak was marinating I tossed some asparagus with olive oil
> > and salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill.
> >http://i44.tinypic.com/2ecqlg6.jpg

> > When the asparagus was done the steak went on the grill.
> > This is Stan's trusty Hibachi he's had since the '70's. I used half
> > charcoal and half mesquite. *
> >http://i39.tinypic.com/1f8dhy.jpg

> > Mmm looking good. Then rested before slicing.
> >http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg

> > Dinner is served.
> >http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg

> > koko
> > --

> > There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *George Bernard Shaw
> >www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> > updated 07/05

> Koko you mentioned Mequite
>
> How much are you US folks paying retail for *it and what package sizes
> does it sell in ?

It is not something that is likely to be exported. Where the heck do
you live? Outside Texas, New Mexico and I guess a few surrounding
states it only comes in tiny bags, mostly for folks to use with their
gas grills. They add it to briquets sometimes too. It is an acquired
taste, different from the more closely related hickories and
fruitwoods. Southwesterners use it, and who am I to argue with them?

Again, where do you live?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Norman Paperman wrote:
> "Phil-c" <invalid@invalid> wrote in message
>> koko wrote:
>>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one. I sprinkled it lightly with some
>>> powdered chili, then rubbed it with
>>> some garlic that I ran through the microplane. I put it in a plastic
>>> bag with some olive oil and let marinade for about an hour.
>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/zw1fdl.jpg
>>>
>>> While the steak was marinating I tossed some asparagus with olive oil
>>> and salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill.
>>> http://i44.tinypic.com/2ecqlg6.jpg
>>>
>>> When the asparagus was done the steak went on the grill. This is Stan's
>>> trusty Hibachi he's had since the '70's. I used half
>>> charcoal and half mesquite. http://i39.tinypic.com/1f8dhy.jpg
>>>
>>> Mmm looking good. Then rested before slicing.
>>> http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg
>>>
>>> Dinner is served. http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg
>>>
>>> koko
>>> --
>>>
>>> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
>>> George Bernard Shaw
>>> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>>> updated 07/05

>> Koko you mentioned Mesquite
>>
>> How much are you US folks paying retail for it and what package sizes
>> does it sell in ?

> Mesquite is a weed that grows wild in Texas. They give it away.

Yes I was informed that it is sold in hardware shops and BBQ and retail
stores.
We certainly know its a weed here as since it was introduced it has
buggered up vast areas of the state and cost millions to control

But makes great BBQ fuel all the same

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 11:38:19 +0800, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

snippage

>Koko you mentioned Mequite
>
>How much are you US folks paying retail for it and what package sizes
>does it sell in ?

Wish I could help Phil-c but we were gifted the mesquite by someone
that was moving. We have a big plastic tub of it. Yippieee!!!!!!!!!

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 07/05
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mesquite was Grilled Flank Steak

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
Snip

> It is not something that is likely to be exported. Where the heck do
> you live? Outside Texas, New Mexico and I guess a few surrounding
> states it only comes in tiny bags, mostly for folks to use with their
> gas grills. They add it to briquets sometimes too. It is an acquired
> taste, different from the more closely related hickories and
> fruitwoods. Southwesterners use it, and who am I to argue with them?
>
> Again, where do you live?

WESTERN Australia

where the mesquite seeds can lay for up to 44 years then explode into
infestations

see
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/im...fn076_2002.pdf

perhaps get the big chippers going and export to USA

> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>Again, where do you live?

Australia

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

> It is an acquired taste

Acquired taste? It's very clean burning. Nothing unnecessary - it
lets the flavor of the meat and added seasonings shine through.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> > wrote:
>
>> Again, where do you live?

> Australia

I think phil-c can answer that himself without your "help" as evidenced
by the response he made given that information to bobonoBRAINO in this
thread.

Let me guess the sf in your nick stands for "stupid ****"!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> > wrote:
>
>> It is an acquired taste

> Acquired taste? It's very clean burning. Nothing unnecessary - it
> lets the flavor of the meat and added seasonings shine through.

I do not like the flavor of mesquite.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 6, 3:38*am, me > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> > > wrote:

> >> Again, where do you live?

> > Australia

> I think phil-c can answer that himself without your "help" as evidenced
> by the response he made given that information to bobonoBRAINO in this
> thread.
>
> Let me guess the sf in your nick stands for "stupid ****"!

I don't think that either of us cares what an anonymous coward has to
say, especially one whose insults seem like a fifth grader's.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:30:24 -0700, koko wrote:

> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>

> Dinner is served.
> http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg
>
> koko

looks very good, koko.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:24:32 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It is an acquired taste

>> Acquired taste? It's very clean burning. Nothing unnecessary - it
>> lets the flavor of the meat and added seasonings shine through.

>I do not like the flavor of mesquite.

I don't understand how you can say it has "flavor". It doesn't impart
flavor like hickory or fruitwood is rumored to do. It's used for heat
(not flavor) but it can create smoke if you're sloppy or whatever
you're cooking is fatty and drips onto the coals.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:30:24 -0700, koko wrote:
>
>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>>

>> Dinner is served.
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg

I take it those are asparagus... they look burnt. The steak is cooked just
to my liking, the knife appears to have been sharp, but someone needs much
improved knife skills, a nice piece of meat hacked into chunks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:24:32 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®

>>> Acquired taste? It's very clean burning. Nothing unnecessary - it
>>> lets the flavor of the meat and added seasonings shine through.

>> I do not like the flavor of mesquite.
>>

> I don't understand how you can say it has "flavor". It doesn't impart
> flavor like hickory or fruitwood is rumored to do. It's used for heat
> (not flavor) but it can create smoke if you're sloppy or whatever
> you're cooking is fatty and drips onto the coals.

Well, if you google, you'll see a lot of mequite flavor items. Oddly
enough, after I posted, I heard someone on a morning show say
many people don't care for mesquite flavor.

Maybe you don't taste it. I have, and I don't care for it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message

> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

I just bought a nice flank steak, too. It's in the freezer for grilling or
broiling at later date.

> http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg

Looks perfect!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> "koko" > wrote in message
>>
>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>>

> I just bought a nice flank steak, too. It's in the freezer for grilling
> or broiling at later date.
>
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg
>>

> Looks perfect!
>
> Jill

Same as it ever was. http://i39.tinypic.com/103sn49.jpg

Andy
--
Once in a Lifetime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw54-rCIrPs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:30:24 -0700, koko wrote:
>>
>>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>>>

>>> Dinner is served.
>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg
>>>

> I take it those are asparagus... they look burnt. The steak is cooked
> just to my liking, the knife appears to have been sharp, but someone needs
> much improved knife skills, a nice piece of meat hacked into chunks.

Meat looks okay. Asparagus? Don't like em myself, but they look like they
have been on the bbq a bit too long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> I take it those are asparagus... they look burnt. The steak is cooked
>> just to my liking, the knife appears to have been sharp, but someone
>> needs much improved knife skills, a nice piece of meat hacked into
>> chunks.
>>

> Meat looks okay.

Like I said, the steak looks like it was cooked fine (nothing wrong with the
meat), but the way it's all hacked up and heaped on the plate is with less
care than if one were feeding a starving junkyard dog. Grilled flank steak
is about the easiest cut to slice thinly, evenly, and arrange
attractively... I think ya gotta go outta yer way to make that mess... and a
fancy schmancy dish in no way makes up for a careless presentation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> I take it those are asparagus... they look burnt. The steak is cooked
>> just to my liking, the knife appears to have been sharp, but someone needs
>> much improved knife skills, a nice piece of meat hacked into chunks.
>>

> Meat looks okay. Asparagus? Don't like em myself, but they look like they
> have been on the bbq a bit too long.

Aside from actually liking asparagus anyway, the picture indicate both
the meat and vegetable was done to perfection... but that's just me.

If I Knew Koko personally, and lived close enough, I'd certainly try and
weasel my way into her dining room (or picnic table as outside is nice
to) :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> I take it those are asparagus... they look burnt. The steak is cooked
>>> just to my liking, the knife appears to have been sharp, but someone
>>> needs much improved knife skills, a nice piece of meat hacked into
>>> chunks.
>>>

>> Meat looks okay. Asparagus? Don't like em myself, but they look like they
>> have been on the bbq a bit too long.

> Aside from actually liking asparagus anyway, the picture indicate both the
> meat and vegetable was done to perfection... but that's just me.
>
> If I Knew Koko personally, and lived close enough, I'd certainly try and
> weasel my way into her dining room (or picnic table as outside is nice to)
> :-)

So, Muncie the Moocher! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> Meat looks okay. Asparagus? Don't like em myself, but they look like they
> have been on the bbq a bit too long.

Whether on the grille, stir fried, or broiled, asparagus gets very
sweet (and less grassy) when it is slightly charred.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message

> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>
> I sprinkled it lightly with some powdered chili, then rubbed it with
> some garlic that I ran through the microplane. I put it in a plastic
> bag with some olive oil and let marinade for about an hour.
> http://i39.tinypic.com/zw1fdl.jpg
>
> While the steak was marinating I tossed some asparagus with olive oil
> and salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/2ecqlg6.jpg
>
> When the asparagus was done the steak went on the grill.
> This is Stan's trusty Hibachi he's had since the '70's. I used half
> charcoal and half mesquite.
> http://i39.tinypic.com/1f8dhy.jpg
>
> Mmm looking good. Then rested before slicing.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg
>
> Dinner is served.
> http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 07/05

Wow is that one of the old Cast Iron Hibachi's I would love to have one,
once again.

I loved mine.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:20:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:24:32 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> I do not like the flavor of mesquite.
>>>

>> I don't understand how you can say it has "flavor". It doesn't impart
>> flavor like hickory or fruitwood is rumored to do. It's used for heat
>> (not flavor) but it can create smoke if you're sloppy or whatever
>> you're cooking is fatty and drips onto the coals.

>Well, if you google, you'll see a lot of mequite flavor items. Oddly
>enough, after I posted, I heard someone on a morning show say
>many people don't care for mesquite flavor.
>
>Maybe you don't taste it. I have, and I don't care for it.

So, you're talking about an artificial flavor in something like potato
chips? I thought you were talking about the coals.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 6, 5:12*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>
> > Meat looks okay. Asparagus? Don't like em myself, but they look like they
> > have been on the bbq a bit too long.

> Whether on the grille, stir fried, or broiled, asparagus gets very
> sweet (and less grassy) when it is slightly charred.

I don't eat asparagus, but we grow it and I lightly saute it in butter
for my wife.

After seeing Koko's pic, then you endorsing charring asparagus, I
entered the term: charred asparagus, into Google and discovered this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

I seldom see a recipe--outside of baking or desserts--that I give a
second glance to, but boy, look at those ingredients. I'm saving the
page because that might be a good Valentine's Day present. Me making
her lobster on VD has been going on for 2 or 3 years, I think just 2.
I'm not crazy about lobster, or crab for that matter, but she loves
it. I do what she can't really do. I buy a lobster, get it into the
pot w/o being pinched, remove the tail meat and serve it pre-sliced
with butter lemon sauce.
Then I carefully crack all the other pieces, removing even the tiniest
pieces of meat, reserving them for after the stock is finished.
I discard the head and boil the shells for an hour or so, then stain
the broth into a smaller pot, re-cover the shells and re-boil while
I'm reducing the broth. I add the broth from the second boiling to
the reduced broth and continue to reduce. I repeat boiling the
shells, and strain again, but into a separate saucepan, to which I add
cubed and rinsed potatoes, and minced shallot. Before I add potatoes
and shallot, I remove some broth for a flour slurry. When the
potatoes are fairly done, I re-combine everything, of course being
careful with stirring in the slurry, then add cracked black pepper and
heavy cream or half&half and stir it until it thickens. Finally, I
stir in the reserved lobster meat, and serve.

> gloria p

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>

>> Meat looks okay. Asparagus? Don't like em myself, but they look like they
>> have been on the bbq a bit too long.

> Whether on the grille, stir fried, or broiled, asparagus gets very
> sweet (and less grassy) when it is slightly charred.

I suppose one can always find a way to rationalize crappy cooking... charred
is burnt/carborized. Blech.

If that plate was served to me at a restaurant I'd leave, no explanation
necessary or deserved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:20:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:24:32 -0400, "Nancy Young"

>>> I don't understand how you can say it has "flavor". It doesn't
>>> impart flavor like hickory or fruitwood is rumored to do. It's
>>> used for heat (not flavor) but it can create smoke if you're sloppy
>>> or whatever you're cooking is fatty and drips onto the coals.

>> Well, if you google, you'll see a lot of mequite flavor items. Oddly
>> enough, after I posted, I heard someone on a morning show say
>> many people don't care for mesquite flavor.
>>
>> Maybe you don't taste it. I have, and I don't care for it.
>>

> So, you're talking about an artificial flavor in something like potato
> chips? I thought you were talking about the coals.

Well, if they are making mesquite flavored BBQ sauces etc etc etc,
they aren't trying to mimic the flavor of eating the wood. Obviously
grilling over mesquite imparts a flavor.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:20:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> Well, if you google, you'll see a lot of mequite flavor items. Oddly
>>> enough, after I posted, I heard someone on a morning show say
>>> many people don't care for mesquite flavor.
>>>
>>> Maybe you don't taste it. I have, and I don't care for it.
>>>

>> So, you're talking about an artificial flavor in something like potato
>> chips? I thought you were talking about the coals.

> Well, if they are making mesquite flavored BBQ sauces etc etc etc,
> they aren't trying to mimic the flavor of eating the wood. Obviously
> grilling over mesquite imparts a flavor.
>
> nancy

Absolutely... grilling over any type of wood fire does impart a flavor of
that type of wood. But grilling over charcoal regardless from what type of
wood it was made imparts no particular flavor whatsoever other than that of
carborization. All charcoal is exactly the same, there is no difference
whatsoever... in fact bone charcoal imparts no different flavor from wood
charcoal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 19:28:27 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:20:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> Well, if you google, you'll see a lot of mequite flavor items. Oddly
>>> enough, after I posted, I heard someone on a morning show say
>>> many people don't care for mesquite flavor.
>>>
>>> Maybe you don't taste it. I have, and I don't care for it.
>>>

>> So, you're talking about an artificial flavor in something like potato
>> chips? I thought you were talking about the coals.

>Well, if they are making mesquite flavored BBQ sauces etc etc etc,
>they aren't trying to mimic the flavor of eating the wood. Obviously
>grilling over mesquite imparts a flavor.

I doubt it, smoke flavored potato chips or bbq sauce with a wood name
on it is called marketing. Mesquite coal is burned because it's
smokeless and because it has an intense heat that sears meat quickly.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06 Jul 2009 13:31:18 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>koko > news:ijq255dlfl4pu91rpsl74rlo4etptilqaf@
>4ax.com: in rec.food.cooking
>

>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>>
>> I sprinkled it lightly with some powdered chili, then rubbed it with
>> some garlic that I ran through the microplane. I put it in a plastic
>> bag with some olive oil and let marinade for about an hour.

><scissored for space>
>
>Looking good koko. I've never used the powdered stuff on flank steak.
>How was the flavor? It looks delicious and I think I'd eat asparagus any
>way you served it
>Michael

I very lightly sprinkled the chili on it because I just wanted a hint
of it in the backgroud, I accomplished that, it was great.
I'm with you on the asparagus.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 07/05
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:15:29 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:30:24 -0700, koko wrote:
>
>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>>

>> Dinner is served.
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg
>>
>> koko

>looks very good, koko.
>
>your pal,
>blake

Thanks blake, it was pretty tasty.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 07/05
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 16:17:21 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>Kswck wrote:

snippage

>> Meat looks okay. Asparagus? Don't like em myself, but they look like they
>> have been on the bbq a bit too long.

>Aside from actually liking asparagus anyway, the picture indicate both
>the meat and vegetable was done to perfection... but that's just me.
>
>If I Knew Koko personally, and lived close enough, I'd certainly try and
>weasel my way into her dining room (or picnic table as outside is nice
>to) :-)
>
>Bob

And you would be most welcomed.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 07/05
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 16:12:32 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Kswck wrote:
>

>> Meat looks okay. Asparagus? Don't like em myself, but they look like they
>> have been on the bbq a bit too long.
>>

>Whether on the grille, stir fried, or broiled, asparagus gets very
>sweet (and less grassy) when it is slightly charred.
>
>gloria p

Thanks for the explination. Lately I've been liking a lot of my
veggies with a little char on them, especially potatoes, broccoli,
cauliflower and of course asparagus. Oh, yes and green beans.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 07/05
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:34:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"koko" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.
>>

>I just bought a nice flank steak, too. It's in the freezer for grilling or
>broiling at later date.
>
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg
>>

>Looks perfect!
>
>Jill

Thanks Jill, it was pretty darned tasty.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 07/05

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:18:56 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"koko" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
>> steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

snippage

>Wow is that one of the old Cast Iron Hibachi's I would love to have one,
>once again.
>
>I loved mine.
>
>Dimitri

Darn it no. I wish I had my old one also.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 07/05
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 19:28:27 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:20:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"

>>> So, you're talking about an artificial flavor in something like potato
>>> chips? I thought you were talking about the coals.

>>Well, if they are making mesquite flavored BBQ sauces etc etc etc,
>>they aren't trying to mimic the flavor of eating the wood. Obviously
>>grilling over mesquite imparts a flavor.
>>

> I doubt it, smoke flavored potato chips or bbq sauce with a wood name
> on it is called marketing. Mesquite coal is burned because it's
> smokeless and because it has an intense heat that sears meat quickly.

Nonsense... all charcoal, regardless from which wood, burns exactly the
same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > I doubt it, smoke flavored potato chips or bbq sauce with a wood name
> > on it is called marketing. Mesquite coal is burned because it's
> > smokeless and because it has an intense heat that sears meat quickly.
> >

> Nonsense... all charcoal, regardless from which wood, burns exactly the
> same.

I've done lots of grilling with both briquettes
and mesquite charcoal chunks, and the latter is
significantly hotter. Just because they're both
carbon doesn't mean they burn the same way.
Density is different. Microstructure is different.
Ash is different. Those affect how quickly it can
burn and how much radiant heat they emit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> If that plate was served to me at a restaurant I'd leave, no explanation
> necessary or deserved.

Your food would probably have been defiled in some way anyhow; it's best if
you just never go to restaurants at all.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On Jul 6, 3:38 am, me > wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>>> Australia

>> I think phil-c can answer that himself without your "help" as evidenced
>> by the response he made given that information to bobonoBRAINO in this
>> thread.
>>
>> Let me guess the sf in your nick stands for "stupid ****"!

> I don't think that either of us cares what an anonymous coward has to
> say, especially one whose insults seem like a fifth grader's.
>
> --Bryan

Since you have at most a fifth grade education I guess you would be an
expert in that regard! I however actually HAVE a college education past
elementary school unlike you. As for the anonymity the only thing
"anonymous" in my post was that the email address was not my true email
address but one who would report YOU or anyone else as a spammer if it
was used. Not that sf's or your email address was a real email address
either or at least seems to be a invalid email address. But nothing is
anonymous in my post if you have the intelligence or knowledge to know
how it works. Which apparently you lack the required knowledge which
does not surprise me in the least.

Have you fixed your myspace pages yet? I doubt it. After checking - nope
you have still not fixed them. But now they are worse! Whoever is
designing your page - probably YOU - failed web/html design with a F
grade! I would like to hear for myself how untalented you and crappy
your band really are!

me

Grilled Flank Steak International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2005 11:02 PM
(REC) Grilled Flank Steak S'mee [AKA Jani] General Cooking 1 06-08-2005 01:46 AM
Red Wine-Rosemary Grilled Flank Steak With Grilled Vegetables 7 Hawks Recipes 0 29-06-2005 11:50 PM
Grilled Flank Steak Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-04-2005 03:33 PM
Grilled Flank Steak - 2 Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-03-2005 12:09 AM