Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilled Flank Steak

Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

I sprinkled it lightly with some powdered chili, then rubbed it with
some garlic that I ran through the microplane. I put it in a plastic
bag with some olive oil and let marinade for about an hour.
http://i39.tinypic.com/zw1fdl.jpg

While the steak was marinating I tossed some asparagus with olive oil
and salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ecqlg6.jpg

When the asparagus was done the steak went on the grill.
This is Stan's trusty Hibachi he's had since the '70's. I used half
charcoal and half mesquite.
http://i39.tinypic.com/1f8dhy.jpg

Mmm looking good. Then rested before slicing.
http://i44.tinypic.com/svkrrp.jpg

Dinner is served.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
[...]

Koko you mentioned Mequite

How much are you US folks paying retail for it and what package sizes
does it sell in ?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phil-c" [email protected] wrote in message
koko wrote:
[...]

Mesquite is a weed that grows wild in Texas. They give it away.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 10:38*pm, Phil-c [email protected] wrote:
koko wrote:
[...]

It is not something that is likely to be exported. Where the heck do
you live? Outside Texas, New Mexico and I guess a few surrounding
states it only comes in tiny bags, mostly for folks to use with their
gas grills. They add it to briquets sometimes too. It is an acquired
taste, different from the more closely related hickories and
fruitwoods. Southwesterners use it, and who am I to argue with them?

Again, where do you live?

--Bryan
Old 06-07-2009, 04:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
[...]

Koko you mentioned Mesquite

How much are you US folks paying retail for it and what package sizes
does it sell in ?

Mesquite is a weed that grows wild in Texas. They give it away.

Yes I was informed that it is sold in hardware shops and BBQ and retail
stores.
We certainly know its a weed here as since it was introduced it has
buggered up vast areas of the state and cost millions to control

But makes great BBQ fuel all the same

Old 06-07-2009, 05:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 11:38:19 +0800, Phil-c [email protected] wrote:

koko wrote:
Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

snippage

Koko you mentioned Mequite

How much are you US folks paying retail for it and what package sizes
does it sell in ?

Wish I could help Phil-c but we were gifted the mesquite by someone
that was moving. We have a big plastic tub of it. Yippieee!!!!!!!!!

koko

Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mesquite was Grilled Flank Steak

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
Snip

It is not something that is likely to be exported. Where the heck do
you live? Outside Texas, New Mexico and I guess a few surrounding
states it only comes in tiny bags, mostly for folks to use with their
gas grills. They add it to briquets sometimes too. It is an acquired
taste, different from the more closely related hickories and
fruitwoods. Southwesterners use it, and who am I to argue with them?

Again, where do you live?

WESTERN Australia

where the mesquite seeds can lay for up to 44 years then explode into
infestations

see
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/im...fn076_2002.pdf

perhaps get the big chippers going and export to USA

--Bryan

Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
wrote:

Again, where do you live?

Australia

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
wrote:

It is an acquired taste

Acquired taste? It's very clean burning. Nothing unnecessary - it
lets the flavor of the meat and added seasonings shine through.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

sf wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:53:49 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
wrote:

Again, where do you live?

Australia

I think phil-c can answer that himself without your "help" as evidenced
by the response he made given that information to bobonoBRAINO in this
thread.

Let me guess the sf in your nick stands for "stupid ****"!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

It is an acquired taste

Acquired taste? It's very clean burning. Nothing unnecessary - it
lets the flavor of the meat and added seasonings shine through.

I do not like the flavor of mesquite.

nancy

Old 06-07-2009, 01:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Again, where do you live?

Australia

I think phil-c can answer that himself without your "help" as evidenced
by the response he made given that information to bobonoBRAINO in this
thread.

Let me guess the sf in your nick stands for "stupid ****"!

I don't think that either of us cares what an anonymous coward has to
say, especially one whose insults seem like a fifth grader's.

--Bryan
Old 06-07-2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:30:24 -0700, koko wrote:

Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

Dinner is served.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg

koko

looks very good, koko.

your pal,
blake
Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

It is an acquired taste

Acquired taste? It's very clean burning. Nothing unnecessary - it
lets the flavor of the meat and added seasonings shine through.

I do not like the flavor of mesquite.

I don't understand how you can say it has "flavor". It doesn't impart
flavor like hickory or fruitwood is rumored to do. It's used for heat
(not flavor) but it can create smoke if you're sloppy or whatever
you're cooking is fatty and drips onto the coals.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:30:24 -0700, koko wrote:

Michael's flank steak thread popped into my head when I saw a flank
steak at TJ's today so I had to get one.

Dinner is served.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2f06pfd.jpg

I take it those are asparagus... they look burnt. The steak is cooked just
to my liking, the knife appears to have been sharp, but someone needs much
improved knife skills, a nice piece of meat hacked into chunks.

Grilled Flank Steak International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2005 11:02 PM
(REC) Grilled Flank Steak S'mee [AKA Jani] General Cooking 1 06-08-2005 01:46 AM
Red Wine-Rosemary Grilled Flank Steak With Grilled Vegetables 7 Hawks Recipes 0 29-06-2005 11:50 PM
Grilled Flank Steak Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-04-2005 03:33 PM
Grilled Flank Steak - 2 Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-03-2005 12:09 AM