Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilled Flank Steak

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:59:43 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Mesquite is wood, not coal. And it most definitely imparts a flavour.

Jill, I'm over it. We're talking about two completely different
things. You want to think mesquite tastes funny, that's fine with me.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:57:19 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>“Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Cindy walks into
>mine.”

<Waving> I won't make it to Casablanca this trip... maybe I'll get to
Morocco some other time.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:57:19 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>“Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Cindy walks into
>>mine.”

> <Waving> I won't make it to Casablanca this trip... maybe I'll get to
> Morocco some other time.

sf,

So, when do we leave? I'll fuel the camels.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:45:24 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>sf,
>
>So, when do we leave? I'll fuel the camels.

Sept. 29 - Egypt is on the itinerary! We'll see the pyramids and
cruise the Nile (all in one day).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 9:57*am, Andy > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton said...
>
> > You know, I think we've got a lot of people talking at cross-purposes.

> > Some are talking about mesquite wood, which I would expect to impart
> > a lot of flavor, especially if shredded or chipped and soaked in
> > water.

> > Others are talking about lump charcoal made from mesquite, from which
> > I would
> > expect little to no flavor.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Cindy walks into
> mine.”

Gosh, Andy, I think that's the nicest thing any man has ever said to
me.

Did you come here for the waters?

Cindy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:45:24 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>sf,
>>
>>So, when do we leave? I'll fuel the camels.

> Sept. 29 - Egypt is on the itinerary! We'll see the pyramids and
> cruise the Nile (all in one day).

sf,

You rock my world!

<smootch>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton said...

> On Jul 10, 9:57*am, Andy > wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton said...
>>
>> > You know, I think we've got a lot of people talking at cross-purposes.

>> > Some are talking about mesquite wood, which I would expect to impart
>> > a lot of flavor, especially if shredded or chipped and soaked in
>> > water.

>> > Others are talking about lump charcoal made from mesquite, from which
>> > I would
>> > expect little to no flavor.

>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Cindy walks i

> nto
>> mine.”

> Gosh, Andy, I think that's the nicest thing any man has ever said to
> me.
>
> Did you come here for the waters?
>
> Cindy

I came for you.

Water can wait! )))

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> Sept. 29 - Egypt is on the itinerary! We'll see the pyramids and
> cruise the Nile (all in one day).

WE WILL???

Have oars, will travel! http://i38.tinypic.com/t0gv2d.jpg

I'll row us down to Chatty Cathy and back!

You like hashish??

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> Others are talking about lump charcoal made from mesquite, from which
> I would
> expect little to no flavor.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

You'd be surprised...

Want me to mail you some?
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:44:37 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>sf said...
>
>> Sept. 29 - Egypt is on the itinerary! We'll see the pyramids and
>> cruise the Nile (all in one day).

>WE WILL???
>
>Have oars, will travel! http://i38.tinypic.com/t0gv2d.jpg
>
>I'll row us down to Chatty Cathy and back!

If you can do all that and get me back to the ship on time, rub a dub
dub!

>You like hashish??

I think it'll slow your rowing.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:44:37 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>sf said...
>>
>>> Sept. 29 - Egypt is on the itinerary! We'll see the pyramids and
>>> cruise the Nile (all in one day).

>>WE WILL???
>>
>>Have oars, will travel! http://i38.tinypic.com/t0gv2d.jpg
>>
>>I'll row us down to Chatty Cathy and back!
>>

> If you can do all that and get me back to the ship on time, rub a dub
> dub!
>>
>>You like hashish??
>>

> I think it'll slow your rowing.

OH HUSH!!!

An...
dy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:06:13 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Jul 10, 9:57*am, Andy > wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton said...
>>
>>> You know, I think we've got a lot of people talking at cross-purposes.

>>> Some are talking about mesquite wood, which I would expect to impart
>>> a lot of flavor, especially if shredded or chipped and soaked in
>>> water.

>>> Others are talking about lump charcoal made from mesquite, from which
>>> I would
>>> expect little to no flavor.

>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> ´Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Cindy walks into
>> mine.ˇ

> Gosh, Andy, I think that's the nicest thing any man has ever said to
> me.
>
> Did you come here for the waters?
>
> Cindy

no, but it's pretty safe to say he was misinformed.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy said...

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:06:13 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On Jul 10, 9:57*am, Andy > wrote:
>>> Cindy Hamilton said...

>>> ´Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Cindy walks
>>> into mine.ˇ

>> Gosh, Andy, I think that's the nicest thing any man has ever said to
>> me.
>>
>> Did you come here for the waters?
>>
>> Cindy

> no, but it's pretty safe to say he was misinformed.

Yo, "no legs murphy", she wasn't talking to you. Fidiot!

Andy

--
"But Manny, Ellie's fun and you're no fun! She completes you!
--Sid the Sloth, "Ice Age: The Meltdown"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> Others are talking about lump charcoal made from mesquite, from which
>> I would
>> expect little to no flavor.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> You'd be surprised...
>
> Want me to mail you some?

If you promise to wrap it well, put it in dry ice, and ship it 1st
class, I promise to post the results of taste testing your rib-eye (keep
the charcoal) :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
D D is offline

Andy wrote:
> blake murphy said...

>>> Gosh, Andy, I think that's the nicest thing any man has ever said to
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Did you come here for the waters?
>>>
>>> Cindy

>> no, but it's pretty safe to say he was misinformed.

> Yo, "no legs murphy", she wasn't talking to you. Fidiot!
>
> Andy

What an asshole.

-dk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D said...

> What an asshole.
>
> -dk

HA!

What a perfect world YOU come from!

Welcome to the club. Look around. You're among friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:55:16 -0500, Andy wrote:

> blake murphy said...

>>> Gosh, Andy, I think that's the nicest thing any man has ever said to
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Did you come here for the waters?
>>>
>>> Cindy

>> no, but it's pretty safe to say he was misinformed.

> Yo, "no legs murphy", she wasn't talking to you. Fidiot!
>
> Andy

gosh, i didn't know r.f.c. was a private conversation.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:47:43 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>First of all, you soak the wood chips well in water before you add them to
>the lump in the base of the grill. They don't just catch fire and start
>burning, not if you're doing it right. They're one of the last things that
>actually catch if you've built your fire right. When you build your fire
>right they send up a nice smoke to the meat above.

Nice steamy white smoke. How disgusting. I saw Raichlen do that on
the tube a few weeks ago and he got bumped down several notches on the
respect meter. But feel free to continue to post your useless tips.
Like the incorrect comment you make about hearts of palm.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:43:46 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>Nancy & Jill - I've used mesquite for years in both grilling (as a
>flavor enhancer, not fuel source) and smoking. I never thought of the
>flavoring as "sharp", but I have considered it "bitter" at times. But
>for me, that occurs it the wood hasn't aged and dried, or if the chips
>were soaked.

But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
dimwit was wrong AGAIN?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:43:46 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>

>> Nancy & Jill - I've used mesquite for years in both grilling (as a
>> flavor enhancer, not fuel source) and smoking. I never thought of the
>> flavoring as "sharp", but I have considered it "bitter" at times. But
>> for me, that occurs it the wood hasn't aged and dried, or if the chips
>> were soaked.

> But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
> dimwit was wrong AGAIN?
>
> Lou

Lou - You can choose to do it anyway you want. But Jill or no Jill? It's
wrong to have the wood you are using to smoke with, wet. Wet wood will
forever have the same result any wet wood would.

Jill - Niener, niener, niener... You are wrong, and will forever remain
wrong on this point.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:22:48 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:55:16 -0500, Andy wrote:

>> Yo, "no legs murphy", she wasn't talking to you. Fidiot!
>>
>> Andy

>gosh, i didn't know r.f.c. was a private conversation.

I haven't read 'no brain andy's" crap in a long time. But I'm curious
if he ever talks about cooking or just what he's drank for breakfast?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:12:00 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:43:46 -0400, Bob Muncie >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Nancy & Jill - I've used mesquite for years in both grilling (as a
>>> flavor enhancer, not fuel source) and smoking. I never thought of the
>>> flavoring as "sharp", but I have considered it "bitter" at times. But
>>> for me, that occurs it the wood hasn't aged and dried, or if the chips
>>> were soaked.

>> But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
>> dimwit was wrong AGAIN?
>>
>> Lou
>>

>Lou - You can choose to do it anyway you want. But Jill or no Jill? It's
>wrong to have the wood you are using to smoke with, wet. Wet wood will
>forever have the same result any wet wood would.
>
>Jill - Niener, niener, niener... You are wrong, and will forever remain
>wrong on this point.

I think she was talking about chips you soak, put in a box of some
sort near a heat source. They're *supposed* to get all smoky, but I
was unaware up to now that they made mesquite chips. Some people will
buy anything if it's got a trendy name... then they complain when they
don't like it. Well, dummies... mesquite is supposed to be used for
no smoke and high heat, not all smoke and no heat. You want smoke,
use hickory or fruitwood chips not mesquite.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:22:48 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:55:16 -0500, Andy wrote:

>>> Yo, "no legs murphy", she wasn't talking to you. Fidiot!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> gosh, i didn't know r.f.c. was a private conversation.

> I haven't read 'no brain andy's" crap in a long time. But I'm curious
> if he ever talks about cooking or just what he's drank for breakfast?
>
> Lou

Lou - Just a thought here... but why don't you stick your "no brain
head" up your "no brain ass"? People like you add zero value anywhere in
life.

How's that for an epithath? "I wasted my life being an ass hole to others".

Is that how you want to be known?

Grow up.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:43:46 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>

>> Nancy & Jill - I've used mesquite for years in both grilling (as a
>> flavor enhancer, not fuel source) and smoking. I never thought of the
>> flavoring as "sharp", but I have considered it "bitter" at times. But
>> for me, that occurs it the wood hasn't aged and dried, or if the chips
>> were soaked.

> But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
> dimwit was wrong AGAIN?
>
> Lou

Guess what Lou? You are pretty close to being plonked. Add value to your
posts, or be ignored.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I haven't read 'no brain andy's" crap in a long time. But I'm curious
> if he ever talks about cooking or just what he's drank for breakfast?

I'm thinkin' he's sleeping off his latest bender. He was practically
24-7 as of yesterday. Maybe the "good twin" will come back and ask for
forgiveness ... ;-)

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I haven't read 'no brain andy's" crap in a long time. But I'm curious
>> if he ever talks about cooking or just what he's drank for breakfast?

> I'm thinkin' he's sleeping off his latest bender. He was practically
> 24-7 as of yesterday. Maybe the "good twin" will come back and ask for
> forgiveness ... ;-)
>
> --Lin

I'll take your word for it.. everyone has a right to not be nice from
time to time.

Thanks for your input Lin.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:12:00 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
>>> dimwit was wrong AGAIN?
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> Lou - You can choose to do it anyway you want. But Jill or no Jill? It's
>> wrong to have the wood you are using to smoke with, wet. Wet wood will
>> forever have the same result any wet wood would.
>>
>> Jill - Niener, niener, niener... You are wrong, and will forever remain
>> wrong on this point.
>>

> I think she was talking about chips you soak, put in a box of some
> sort near a heat source. They're *supposed* to get all smoky, but I
> was unaware up to now that they made mesquite chips. Some people will
> buy anything if it's got a trendy name... then they complain when they
> don't like it. Well, dummies... mesquite is supposed to be used for
> no smoke and high heat, not all smoke and no heat. You want smoke,
> use hickory or fruitwood chips not mesquite.

Sf - You of course are right, and I was a bit hasty on the "neiner" part
:-)

But seriously, *no* wet wood, chip or otherwise is a good thing for
smoking. If it burns too quickly, add more. But making it wet will only
add to acrid flavors.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:44:45 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>But seriously, *no* wet wood, chip or otherwise is a good thing for
>smoking. If it burns too quickly, add more. But making it wet will only
>add to acrid flavors.

I've only used wood chips a limited number of times, but I think it
says in the instructions to let them soak. The instructions are
wrong?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> You want smoke,
> use hickory or fruitwood chips not mesquite.

Barb, have you ever used Mesquite for smoking?

Even with as much mesquite as there is around here, I sometimes have to
purchase it. I prefer wood fires to charcoal so use up the deadwood
from my own trees in the yard to get a fire going and get good coals. I
have mostly hackberry, but also elm and post oak. Right now I have a
bunch of post oak to use up as I have a lot of downed branches.

Once I get a good hot coal bed, I then add a handfull of small mesquite
chunks before putting the meat on. I do not soak them. This gets me
some good mesquite smoke going. ;-d

But, I _like_ the flavor of mesquite smoke. Not everybody does!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:43:46 -0400, Bob Muncie >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Nancy & Jill - I've used mesquite for years in both grilling (as a
>>> flavor enhancer, not fuel source) and smoking. I never thought of the
>>> flavoring as "sharp", but I have considered it "bitter" at times. But
>>> for me, that occurs it the wood hasn't aged and dried, or if the chips
>>> were soaked.

>> But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
>> dimwit was wrong AGAIN?
>>
>> Lou
>>

>Lou - You can choose to do it anyway you want.

I do it dry like yourself.

>But Jill or no Jill?

You lost me here but that's ok. Lake Michigan almost swallowed me
Friday night so I'm accustomed to being confused.

>It's wrong to have the wood you are using to smoke with, wet.

Didn't I imply that? I've seen your other nasty responses to me in
this thread and it seems you've got a few screws loose in your head.
I agree with you 100% and you turn into a kook. Whatever......it's
just usenet.

>wet wood will forever have the same result any wet wood would.

You should differentiate the difference between wet and green. But
you are on the right track.

>Jill - Niener, niener, niener...

And you told me to grow up? How charming.

>You are wrong, and will forever remain
>wrong on this point.

This and in many other points.

>Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:12:00 -0400, Bob Muncie >
>> wrote:

>>> Lou - You can choose to do it anyway you want. But Jill or no Jill? It's
>>> wrong to have the wood you are using to smoke with, wet. Wet wood will
>>> forever have the same result any wet wood would.
>>>
>>> Jill - Niener, niener, niener... You are wrong, and will forever remain
>>> wrong on this point.
>>>

>> I think she was talking about chips you soak, put in a box of some
>> sort near a heat source. They're *supposed* to get all smoky, but I
>> was unaware up to now that they made mesquite chips. Some people will
>> buy anything if it's got a trendy name... then they complain when they
>> don't like it. Well, dummies... mesquite is supposed to be used for
>> no smoke and high heat, not all smoke and no heat. You want smoke,
>> use hickory or fruitwood chips not mesquite.

>Sf - You of course are right,

She has some valid points but I wouldn't put a blanket approval on the
post.

> and I was a bit hasty on the "neiner" part

But it makes you feel bigger.

>But seriously, *no* wet wood, chip or otherwise is a good thing for
>smoking. If it burns too quickly, add more. But making it wet will only
>add to acrid flavors.

I'll agree with this 100%

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:13:15 -0400, D >
wrote:

>Andy wrote:

>> Yo, "no legs murphy", she wasn't talking to you. Fidiot!
>>
>> Andy

>What an asshole.

Please don't speak of assholes in such a derogatory way.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:44:45 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> But seriously, *no* wet wood, chip or otherwise is a good thing for
>> smoking. If it burns too quickly, add more. But making it wet will only
>> add to acrid flavors.

> I've only used wood chips a limited number of times, but I think it
> says in the instructions to let them soak. The instructions are
> wrong?

Yes..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:12:00 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
>>> dimwit was wrong AGAIN?
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> Lou - You can choose to do it anyway you want.

> I do it dry like yourself.
>
>> But Jill or no Jill?

> You lost me here but that's ok. Lake Michigan almost swallowed me
> Friday night so I'm accustomed to being confused.
>
>> It's wrong to have the wood you are using to smoke with, wet.

> Didn't I imply that? I've seen your other nasty responses to me in
> this thread and it seems you've got a few screws loose in your head.
> I agree with you 100% and you turn into a kook. Whatever......it's
> just usenet.
>
>> wet wood will forever have the same result any wet wood would.

> You should differentiate the difference between wet and green. But
> you are on the right track.
>
>> Jill - Niener, niener, niener...

> And you told me to grow up? How charming.
>
>> You are wrong, and will forever remain
>> wrong on this point.

> This and in many other points.
>
>> Bob

Lou - How about we agree to be nice to one another, and not make
personal digs? I have no issues with you. Lets start from there.

K?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:02:48 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:43:46 -0400, Bob Muncie >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Nancy & Jill - I've used mesquite for years in both grilling (as a
>>> flavor enhancer, not fuel source) and smoking. I never thought of the
>>> flavoring as "sharp", but I have considered it "bitter" at times. But
>>> for me, that occurs it the wood hasn't aged and dried, or if the chips
>>> were soaked.

>> But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
>> dimwit was wrong AGAIN?
>>
>> Lou
>>

>Guess what Lou?

Oh Gawd I hate quizes!

>You are pretty close to being plonked.

What do I need to do make you push me over the edge?

>Add value to your posts, or be ignored.

Stay tuned Bob. I'm preparing a recipe post using boiled ribs and
velveeta.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:02:48 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> But, but, but...Jill said to the soak the chips! Are you saying the
>>> dimwit was wrong AGAIN?
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> Guess what Lou?

> Oh Gawd I hate quizes!
>
>> You are pretty close to being plonked.

> What do I need to do make you push me over the edge?
>
>> Add value to your posts, or be ignored.

> Stay tuned Bob. I'm preparing a recipe post using boiled ribs and
> velveeta.
>
> Lou

You are pushing my buttons, but I listen even then. But I am enjoying
your responses, so I am still listening. So far you are being funny, and
you are my funny friend.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:08:44 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> You want smoke,
>> use hickory or fruitwood chips not mesquite.

>Barb, have you ever used Mesquite for smoking?

No, only for grilling. That's what I'm talking about mesquite coal
and charcoal. I think the nay sayers are talking about mesquite
chips.

>Even with as much mesquite as there is around here, I sometimes have to
>purchase it. I prefer wood fires to charcoal so use up the deadwood
>from my own trees in the yard to get a fire going and get good coals. I
>have mostly hackberry, but also elm and post oak. Right now I have a
>bunch of post oak to use up as I have a lot of downed branches.
>
>Once I get a good hot coal bed, I then add a handfull of small mesquite
>chunks before putting the meat on. I do not soak them. This gets me
>some good mesquite smoke going. ;-d
>
>But, I _like_ the flavor of mesquite smoke. Not everybody does!

Aha, so you agree with Bob and Lou then - put the chips directly onto
the coals... no soaking required. In that case, is soaking supposed
to be for gas grills? Like I said before, I get enough smoke from fat
dripping down and going up in smoke. I don't want any more than that.

Thanks

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >Add value to your posts, or be ignored.

> Stay tuned Bob. I'm preparing a recipe post using boiled ribs and
> velveeta.
>
> Lou

Heh! ;-)

Okay, that was funny.
Thanks for the laugh Lou!

And don't forget the canned cream of mushroom soup...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> >Once I get a good hot coal bed, I then add a handfull of small mesquite
> >chunks before putting the meat on. I do not soak them. This gets me
> >some good mesquite smoke going. ;-d
> >
> >But, I _like_ the flavor of mesquite smoke. Not everybody does!

> Aha, so you agree with Bob and Lou then - put the chips directly onto
> the coals... no soaking required.

Indeed. And we get plenty of smoke. Chas did the most delightful brisket
this weekend. Nice smoke ring. :-) He used the offset this time like he
was supposed to so it did not get dried out. He also put a bowl of water
in the smoker to keep the humidity up. Soon's sis' e-mails me the pics,
I'll post them.

> In that case, is soaking supposed
> to be for gas grills?

Not sure. I've never been interested in gas grills so have not studied
up on them. <g>

> Like I said before, I get enough smoke from fat
> dripping down and going up in smoke. I don't want any more than that.
>
> Thanks

Cheers! :-) When I grill, the fire is under the food. When I smoke/BBQ,
the offset gets used and the food is cooked by the heat and smoke from
that. I have an actual smoker that does double duty as a grill. There
is no smoke produced by any dripping fat.

I still will often toss a handful of mesquite on the coals for grilling
tho'.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:31:49 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:12:00 -0400, Bob Muncie >
>> wrote:

>>> Lou - You can choose to do it anyway you want.

>> I do it dry like yourself.
>>
>>> But Jill or no Jill?

>> You lost me here but that's ok. Lake Michigan almost swallowed me
>> Friday night so I'm accustomed to being confused.
>>
>>> It's wrong to have the wood you are using to smoke with, wet.

>> Didn't I imply that? I've seen your other nasty responses to me in
>> this thread and it seems you've got a few screws loose in your head.
>> I agree with you 100% and you turn into a kook. Whatever......it's
>> just usenet.
>>
>>> wet wood will forever have the same result any wet wood would.

>> You should differentiate the difference between wet and green. But
>> you are on the right track.
>>
>>> Jill - Niener, niener, niener...

>> And you told me to grow up? How charming.
>>
>>> You are wrong, and will forever remain
>>> wrong on this point.

>> This and in many other points.
>>
>>> Bob

>Lou - How about we agree to be nice to one another, and not make
>personal digs? I have no issues with you. Lets start from there.
>
>K?

Sounds good to me.

Lou

Grilled Flank Steak International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 31-10-2005 12:02 AM
(REC) Grilled Flank Steak S'mee [AKA Jani] General Cooking 1 06-08-2005 01:46 AM
Red Wine-Rosemary Grilled Flank Steak With Grilled Vegetables 7 Hawks Recipes 0 29-06-2005 11:50 PM
Grilled Flank Steak Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-04-2005 03:33 PM
Grilled Flank Steak - 2 Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-03-2005 01:09 AM