FoodBanter.com

-   -   High altitude quiche (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/174110-high-altitude-quiche.html)

notbob 03-07-2009 05:37 AM

High altitude quiche

Being so high up, 7680ft, I'm having to relearn a lot of basic cooking
techniques that were no brainers at 150ft above sea level. One of my
favorite recipes is quiche, which mine is to die for. Anyway, my first two
were pretty bad. Took too long to cook and they were all dried out and
lifeless, like they'd sat in the desert for a few days. Yuk.

I finally got my quiche tweaked and it came out excellent. Moist, creamy,
yet firm, either warm or cool, and no weeping. Here's my basic custard wet
ingredient recipe for mile+ high quiche. I won't go into full detail, cuz
everyone should have at least one secret recipe and this is mine, but it
will give you an excellent custard base from which you can do your thing:

4 L eggs
8 oz whipping cream
3 T milk
3/4 C shredded cheese

Tips:

*Make sure meats/veggies have excess moisture sauteed out
*cheese amount is optimum, but 1 C won't hurt (you can mix types)
*I baked at 350 deg F for about 1hr
*If you don't live at high altitudes, leave out the milk
*Blind bake pie crust (I use frozen 9" deep dish)

Hope this helps some aspiring quiche makers.

nb

Gloria P 03-07-2009 04:58 PM

High altitude quiche

notbob wrote:
> Being so high up, 7680ft, I'm having to relearn a lot of basic cooking
> techniques that were no brainers at 150ft above sea level. One of my
> favorite recipes is quiche, which mine is to die for. Anyway, my first two
> were pretty bad. Took too long to cook and they were all dried out and
> lifeless, like they'd sat in the desert for a few days. Yuk.

Recipe snipped. (Go look it up!)

NotB:

I'm curious. Why would your quiche react any differently than pumpkin
or pecan pie or any other baked custard? Perhaps it's the difference in
altitude (we're at 5800 feet) but I've never had a problem with any of
those or quiche (which we love but don't have often because of cholesterol.)

gloria p

Mark Thorson 03-07-2009 08:53 PM

High altitude quiche

notbob wrote:

> Being so high up, 7680ft, I'm having to relearn a lot of basic cooking
> techniques that were no brainers at 150ft above sea level. One of my
> favorite recipes is quiche, which mine is to die for. Anyway, my first two
> were pretty bad. Took too long to cook and they were all dried out and
> lifeless, like they'd sat in the desert for a few days. Yuk.

Hmmm... I wonder if it would make sense to build
a pressure oven. It would be like a pressure cooker,
but it would use a pump to generate pressure so it
could cook stuff at higher temperature than a pressure
cooker and and without steaming the food. You probably
wouldn't be able to have a window in the door, but
there could be a camera so you could look at the food
on a display, and the display could be on the door.

Ah, I see a problem. If you had a pot full of liquid
in the pressure oven and it cracked, the liquid leaking
on the floor of the oven could instantly vaporize,
resulting in a sudden pressure increase. At a minimum,
the stove would have to have a blow-out plate to
relieve the pressure, but even this might not be
an adequate safety measure.