Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salt on potato skin

I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.

One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't eat their
potato skins. They are loaded with salt.

The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato inside for
me.

Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
anything?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"metspitzer" > wrote in message
>I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.
>
> One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't eat their
> potato skins. They are loaded with salt.
>
> The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato inside for
> me.
>
> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
> anything?

I always lightly oil or butter then salt the outside of baking potatoes.
But then, I eat the nice crispy skin, too, not just the inside of the
potato.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 30 Jun 2009 08:35:17p, jmcquown told us...

> "metspitzer" > wrote in message
>>I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.
>>
>> One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't eat their
>> potato skins. They are loaded with salt.
>>
>> The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato inside for
>> me.
>>
>> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
>> anything?
>>

> I always lightly oil or butter then salt the outside of baking potatoes.
> But then, I eat the nice crispy skin, too, not just the inside of the
> potato.
>
> Jill

I like salt on the oiled skin, too. I usually use a moderately coarse
Kosher salt.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Never work before breakfast; if you have to work before breakfast,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:51:16 -0700 (PDT), metspitzer wrote:

> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
> anything?

It changes the texture and flavor of the skin, for sure. I bake
mine in butter and salted foil for 2/3rds of the cook, then unwrap
for the remainder.

There are several recipes/methods for cooking them entirely in rock
salt (this may even be how Red Loobster does them)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:51:16 -0700 (PDT), metspitzer wrote:
>
>> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
>> anything?

> It changes the texture and flavor of the skin, for sure. I bake
> mine in butter and salted foil for 2/3rds of the cook, then unwrap
> for the remainder.
>
> There are several recipes/methods for cooking them entirely in rock
> salt (this may even be how Red Loobster does them)
>
> -sw

I don't know how Red Lobster does them these days. When I worked there they
lightly brushed the tops with oil and sprinkled them with coursely flaked
salt. They baked multiple trays of about 50 potatoes at a time in a very
large oven.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:51:16 -0700 (PDT), metspitzer wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
>>> anything?

>> It changes the texture and flavor of the skin, for sure. I bake
>> mine in butter and salted foil for 2/3rds of the cook, then unwrap
>> for the remainder.
>>
>> There are several recipes/methods for cooking them entirely in rock
>> salt (this may even be how Red Loobster does them)
>>
>> -sw

> I don't know how Red Lobster does them these days. When I worked there
> they lightly brushed the tops with oil and sprinkled them with coursely
> flaked salt. They baked multiple trays of about 50 potatoes at a time
> in a very large oven.
>
> Jill

Why potato skins get such attention is beyond belief.

It's on a par with eating carrot peels or peanut shells!

It just ain't right, I do declare!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...

>>> It changes the texture and flavor of the skin, for sure. I bake
>>> mine in butter and salted foil for 2/3rds of the cook, then unwrap
>>> for the remainder.
>>>
>>> There are several recipes/methods for cooking them entirely in rock
>>> salt (this may even be how Red Loobster does them)
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I don't know how Red Lobster does them these days. When I worked there
>> they lightly brushed the tops with oil and sprinkled them with coursely
>> flaked salt. They baked multiple trays of about 50 potatoes at a time
>> in a very large oven.
>>
>> Jill

> Why potato skins get such attention is beyond belief.
>
> It's on a par with eating carrot peels or peanut shells!
>
> It just ain't right, I do declare!
>
> Andy

Oh, I have to disagree. Potato skins are yummy!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 04:13:05 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Why potato skins get such attention is beyond belief.

Considering the shit you eat every day, and have the lack of sense
to actually *brag* about, it's no wonder you can't imagine decent
food.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> jmcquown said...

>>> I don't know how Red Lobster does them these days. When I worked there
>>> they lightly brushed the tops with oil and sprinkled them with coursely
>>> flaked salt. They baked multiple trays of about 50 potatoes at a time
>>> in a very large oven.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Why potato skins get such attention is beyond belief.
>>
>> It's on a par with eating carrot peels or peanut shells!
>>
>> It just ain't right, I do declare!
>>
>> Andy

> Oh, I have to disagree. Potato skins are yummy!
>
> --
> Jean B.

Yep, especially when they're nice and crispy! This is why I don't
understand people who microwave potatoes and call them "baked"... they
aren't baked, they're nuked. Sure, you can cook a potato in the jacket in a
microwave, but it's certainly nothing like a properly baked potato with a
yummy crispy salted skin!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Andy wrote:
>>> jmcquown said...

>>> Why potato skins get such attention is beyond belief.
>>>
>>> It's on a par with eating carrot peels or peanut shells!
>>>
>>> It just ain't right, I do declare!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Oh, I have to disagree. Potato skins are yummy!
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Yep, especially when they're nice and crispy! This is why I don't
> understand people who microwave potatoes and call them "baked"... they
> aren't baked, they're nuked. Sure, you can cook a potato in the jacket
> in a microwave, but it's certainly nothing like a properly baked potato
> with a yummy crispy salted skin!
>
> Jill

I've cooked a lot of foods in the microwave but never a potato!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Tue, 30 Jun 2009 23:35:17 -0400:

> "metspitzer" > wrote in message
>> I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.
>>
>> One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't
>> eat their potato skins. They are loaded with salt.
>>
>> The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato
>> inside for me.
>>
>> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt
>> changes anything?
>>

> I always lightly oil or butter then salt the outside of baking
> potatoes. But then, I eat the nice crispy skin, too, not just the
> inside of the potato.

I like the skin of a baked potato too but, while IMHO a little salt is
needed, I don't want enough that it can see the crystals.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown said...

>>> Oh, I have to disagree. Potato skins are yummy!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> Yep, especially when they're nice and crispy! This is why I don't
>> understand people who microwave potatoes and call them "baked"... they
>> aren't baked, they're nuked. Sure, you can cook a potato in the jacket
>> in a microwave, but it's certainly nothing like a properly baked potato
>> with a yummy crispy salted skin!
>>
>> Jill

> I've cooked a lot of foods in the microwave but never a potato!
>
> Andy

Lots of people here have claimed to "bake" potatoes in the microwave.
Sorry, that's not baked. I have done a close approximation while
travelling, only having a microwave in a hotel room rather than an oven.
You can rub a couple of potatoes with oil and (yes) sprinkle it with salt,
then wrap them in damp paper towels and zap/nuke them for about 10 minutes.
It's not baked potatoes but they taste close to baked.

I still don't know what you have against crispy salted potato skins.
They're very tasty!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Wed, 1 Jul 2009 10:20:19 -0400:

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown said...

>>> Yep, especially when they're nice and crispy! This is why I
>>> don't understand people who microwave potatoes and call them
>>> "baked"... they aren't baked, they're nuked. Sure, you can cook a
>>> potato in the jacket in a microwave, but it's
>>> certainly nothing like a properly baked potato with a yummy crispy
>>> salted skin!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've cooked a lot of foods in the microwave but never a
>> potato!
>>
>> Andy

> Lots of people here have claimed to "bake" potatoes in the
> microwave. Sorry, that's not baked. I have done a close
> approximation while travelling, only having a microwave in a
> hotel room rather than an oven. You can rub a couple of
> potatoes with oil and (yes) sprinkle it with salt, then wrap
> them in damp paper towels and zap/nuke them for about 10
> minutes. It's not baked potatoes but they taste close to
> baked.

> I still don't know what you have against crispy salted potato skins.
> They're very tasty!

Nuked potatoes are not bad if you want one or two in a hurry but, IMHO,
the flavor does not match oven-baked, nor are the skins particularly
appetizing.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...

>>> It changes the texture and flavor of the skin, for sure. I bake
>>> mine in butter and salted foil for 2/3rds of the cook, then unwrap
>>> for the remainder.
>>>
>>> There are several recipes/methods for cooking them entirely in rock
>>> salt (this may even be how Red Loobster does them)
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> I don't know how Red Lobster does them these days. When I worked there
>> they lightly brushed the tops with oil and sprinkled them with coursely
>> flaked salt. They baked multiple trays of about 50 potatoes at a time
>> in a very large oven.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Why potato skins get such attention is beyond belief.
>
> It's on a par with eating carrot peels or peanut shells!
>
> It just ain't right, I do declare!
>
> Andy

Beignets are more like donuts. When you cook sopapillas, they puff up,
so they are hollow in the middle. I sprinkle them with powdered sugar
and serve them with honey. Like Gloria mentioned, you tear them open,
put honey in the middle then eat them. You could drizzle honey on the
outside, but where is the fun in that? lol

My mother made these when I was a child, then I made them for my
children. My younger son stopped eating honey when he was 7, because he
heard honey was bee vomit. He started eating his with powdered sugar, only.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 12:12*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Tue 30 Jun 2009 08:35:17p, jmcquown told us...
>

> > "metspitzer" > wrote in message
> >>I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.

> >> One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't eat their
> >> potato skins. *They are loaded with salt.

> >> The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato inside for
> >> me.

> >> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
> >> anything?

> > I always lightly oil or butter then salt the outside of baking potatoes..
> > But then, I eat the nice crispy skin, too, not just the inside of the
> > potato.

> > Jill

> I like salt on the oiled skin, too. I usually use a moderately coarse
> Kosher salt.
>
> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * *Never work before breakfast; if you have to work before breakfast, *
> * * * * * * * *eat your breakfast first. *~Josh Billings * * * * * * *- Hide quoted text -

Ditto. Plus the oil makes the skin nice & crispy. Delicious (and I
always eat the skin anyway no matter how it's made).

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> I still don't know what you have against crispy salted potato skins.
> They're very tasty!
>
> Jill

Jill,

I've spoken about being forced to eat dirt encrusted potato skins before.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I like salt on the oiled skin, too. I usually use a moderately coarse
> Kosher salt.

What makes salt, Kosher?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"metspitzer" > wrote in message
>I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.
>
> One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't eat their
> potato skins. They are loaded with salt.
>
> The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato inside for
> me.
>
> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
> anything?

Sure, the salt makes the potato taste salty, like how salt makes pretzels
taste salty. Some produce sections sell "Salt Potatoes", a five pound sack
of spuds that also contains a bag of salt for adding to the potato boiling
water. Some folks like salty potaotes, just like some like lots of salt on
fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> jmcquown said...

> >> It changes the texture and flavor of the skin, for sure. I bake
> >> mine in butter and salted foil for 2/3rds of the cook, then unwrap
> >> for the remainder.
> >>
> >> There are several recipes/methods for cooking them entirely in rock
> >> salt (this may even be how Red Loobster does them)
> >>
> >> -sw

> > I don't know how Red Lobster does them these days. When I worked there
> > they lightly brushed the tops with oil and sprinkled them with coursely
> > flaked salt. They baked multiple trays of about 50 potatoes at a time
> > in a very large oven.
> >
> > Jill

> Why potato skins get such attention is beyond belief.
>
> It's on a par with eating carrot peels or peanut shells!
>
> It just ain't right, I do declare!
>
> Andy

Mm, disagree. ;-) The crispy baked skin is my favorite part.
After I mash the centers with butter and scoop most of that out with a
spoon (then eat it), I quarter the remaining skin and potato, then wrap
it around a small strip of cold butter and eat it like a taco shell. ;-d

When I hit my goal weight (probably in another year), that's the one
thing I am going to have is a damned baked potato!

At "Outback" with a steak...

I've not had a baked spud for a couple of years now. <sigh>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> I've cooked a lot of foods in the microwave but never a potato!
>
> Andy

It works, but it steams them!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Nuked potatoes are not bad if you want one or two in a hurry but, IMHO,
> the flavor does not match oven-baked, nor are the skins particularly
> appetizing.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton

It I nuke them, I just mash them or cut them up skin and all and eat
them. The skin is not the separate "treat" like it is with the crispy
oven (or fire) baked potato.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> Mm, disagree. ;-) The crispy baked skin is my favorite part.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! On the potato skins front, I realize I'm fighting an uphill
battle.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > I like salt on the oiled skin, too. I usually use a moderately coarse
> > Kosher salt.

> What makes salt, Kosher?

It's blessed by the pope?

<g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote on Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:14:58 +0100:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I like salt on the oiled skin, too. I usually use a
>> moderately coarse Kosher salt.

> What makes salt, Kosher?

Nothing really. Kosher salt is really kosherizing salt, suitable for
removing any ot the surface blood that bothers observant Jews.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Omelet said...
>
>> Mm, disagree. ;-) The crispy baked skin is my favorite part.

> Yeah, yeah, yeah! On the potato skins front, I realize I'm fighting an
> uphill
> battle.
>
> Andy

Obviously

Used to be (back in the 1980's) "stuffed potato skins" were a big thing on
many menus as an appetizer. I have no idea what they did with the middle of
the potatoes but the skins were served topped with cheese, sour cream,
chives. Or bacon bits and cheese. One restaurant I went to had them topped
with cubed round steak that was sauteed in a red wine sauce and I went home
and re-created it. Potato skins can be wonderful and of course the salt on
the outside helps a lot. Plain old potato skins are pretty boring.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-07-01 04:21:03 -0700, "Jean B." > said:

> Andy wrote:
>> jmcquown said...

>>> I don't know how Red Lobster does them these days. When I worked there
>>> they lightly brushed the tops with oil and sprinkled them with coursely
>>> flaked salt. They baked multiple trays of about 50 potatoes at a time
>>> in a very large oven.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Why potato skins get such attention is beyond belief.
>>
>> It's on a par with eating carrot peels or peanut shells!
>>
>> It just ain't right, I do declare!
>>
>> Andy

> Oh, I have to disagree. Potato skins are yummy!

Ah, yes. And if you want any nutrition from a potato other than
carbohydrates you must absolutely eat the skin!
--

thepixelfreak

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Tue 30 Jun 2009 08:35:17p, jmcquown told us...
>

> > "metspitzer" > wrote in message
> >>I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.

> >> One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't eat their
> >> potato skins. They are loaded with salt.

> >> The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato inside for
> >> me.

> >> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
> >> anything?

> > I always lightly oil or butter then salt the outside of baking potatoes.
> > But then, I eat the nice crispy skin, too, not just the inside of the
> > potato.

> > Jill

> I like salt on the oiled skin, too. I usually use a moderately coarse
> Kosher salt.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
> Never work before breakfast; if you have to work before breakfast,
> eat your breakfast first. ~Josh Billings - Hide quoted text -

Ditto. Plus the oil makes the skin nice & crispy. Delicious (and I
always eat the skin anyway no matter how it's made).

That's not true. Oiling potato skins prior to baking makes the skins come
out only somewhat crisper than foil wrapped.... the oil seals the potato
skin and so it steams... oil will make peeled potatoes crisp because
starchy foods crisp when fried but not while in their jackets because potato
skin contains very little starch and the fact that it retains water just
below the skin the oil will not reach a high enough temperature to fry (like
skin emmolient), not until the potato is too dried out and begins to burn...
burned is not crisp, not to me. For the crispest skin bake spuds in jackets
dry, with nothing on them, and pierce the skins in several places... this
does double duty, it keeps pressure from building so potatoes don't explode
and permits moisture to more readily escape, producing a drier inside with a
crisper skin.

I never order spuds baked in jackets at restaurants, they never properly
clean the skins. It's easy enough to bake spuds at home, but I rarely
prepare french fries because that is more difficult at home, so for me
eating out is a good time to order fries. And for most folks fries are no
more fattening than baked, not from what I constantly observe folks add to
baked; whatever is available and in quantity, butter, sour cream, and
cheese... lots.... they only remember the pinch of chives and so the
pinheads believe they ate a salad. LOL And from I've seen folks add to a
salad there is no way it's diet food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you are not going to eat and enjoy the skin, why serve baked potaoes
in the first place ?

Adding salt (or rubbing with olive oil) is just a way of crisping the
skins in my opinion. Other factors play such as the variety of spud you
use and how hot your oven is. I would still prefer to cook mine in the
ash pan under our fire without foil but am not allowed to by 'er
indoors. Wrapped in foil, they don't crisp as well

metspitzer wrote:
> I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.
>
> One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't eat their
> potato skins. They are loaded with salt.
>
> The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato inside for
> me.
>
> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
> anything?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thepixelfreak said...

> Ah, yes. And if you want any nutrition from a potato other than
> carbohydrates you must absolutely eat the skin!

Grandma Rose told us "you have to eat a pound of dirt before you die."

Problem is, there's no "Dirt" on nutrition labels, let alone potatoes!
Dammit!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
> > Omelet said...
> >
> >> Mm, disagree. ;-) The crispy baked skin is my favorite part.

> > Yeah, yeah, yeah! On the potato skins front, I realize I'm fighting an
> > uphill
> > battle.
> >
> > Andy
> >

> Obviously
>
> Used to be (back in the 1980's) "stuffed potato skins" were a big thing on
> many menus as an appetizer. I have no idea what they did with the middle of
> the potatoes

Probably served them as mashed?

> but the skins were served topped with cheese, sour cream,
> chives. Or bacon bits and cheese. One restaurant I went to had them topped
> with cubed round steak that was sauteed in a red wine sauce and I went home
> and re-created it. Potato skins can be wonderful and of course the salt on
> the outside helps a lot. Plain old potato skins are pretty boring.
>
> Jill

Then there are small spuds served as "twice baked".
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"O'Failure" wrote:

> What makes salt, Kosher?

Circumcision.... a great job for you, O'Failure... sucking off salty
foreskins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Omelet said...
>>
>>> Mm, disagree. ;-) The crispy baked skin is my favorite part.

>> Yeah, yeah, yeah! On the potato skins front, I realize I'm fighting an
>> uphill
>> battle.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Obviously
>
> Used to be (back in the 1980's) "stuffed potato skins" were a big thing
> on many menus as an appetizer. I have no idea what they did with the
> middle of the potatoes but the skins were served topped with cheese,
> sour cream, chives. Or bacon bits and cheese. One restaurant I went to
> had them topped with cubed round steak that was sauteed in a red wine
> sauce and I went home and re-created it. Potato skins can be wonderful
> and of course the salt on the outside helps a lot. Plain old potato
> skins are pretty boring.
>
> Jill

Jill,

I see the stuffed kind like you mention on restaurant TV ads all the time
and they look delicious! It's just the skin throws up a mental flag from my
youth. Even baked potatoes I cut in half and flat side down, squeeze out
the pulp and throw away the skins.

Except for foods I REALLY can't stand, that's about as anal as I get when
it comes to food nowadays.

I'm OK if foods touch on the plate.

I'll never put ketchup on hot dogs.

Will eat Wonderbread upon request.

Likes cats.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Likes cats.

For dinner?

You sick puppy!

;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Likes cats.

> For dinner?
>
> You sick puppy!
>
> ;-)

Likes dogs?

Andy
--
"But Manny, Ellie's fun and you're no fun! She completes you!
--Sid the Sloth, "Ice Age: The Meltdown"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
metspitzer > wrote:

> I am a big fan of eating a baked potato skin and all.
>
> One of my favorite restaurants is Red Lobster, but I don't eat their
> potato skins. They are loaded with salt.
>
> The salt doesn't seem to change the flavor of the potato inside for
> me.
>
> Anyone think loading the outside of a potato with salt changes
> anything?

Well, *I* like it! I've only had it a couple of times, but I found it a
rather light load of salt. As I eat the skin and the inside together, I
found that it flavored the inside.

OK, so I looked it up:

http://www.redlobster.com/health/nutrition/dinner.asp

900mg each. That's a lot less than lots of the entrees, but it isn't
insignificant.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Ophelia wrote on Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:14:58 +0100:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> I like salt on the oiled skin, too. I usually use a
>>> moderately coarse Kosher salt.

>> What makes salt, Kosher?

> Nothing really. Kosher salt is really kosherizing salt, suitable for
> removing any ot the surface blood that bothers observant Jews.

Ok, thanks James. It is just way way people speak of it... I added Kosher
salt! It sounds as if it is something very special or something very
different.

At the end of the day, it is just salt, yes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> I like salt on the oiled skin, too. I usually use a moderately
>>> coarse Kosher salt.

>> What makes salt, Kosher?

> It's blessed by the pope?
>
> <g>

*snort*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-07-01 11:28:54 -0700, Andy > said:

> thepixelfreak said...
>
>> Ah, yes. And if you want any nutrition from a potato other than
>> carbohydrates you must absolutely eat the skin!

> Grandma Rose told us "you have to eat a pound of dirt before you die."
>
> Problem is, there's no "Dirt" on nutrition labels, let alone potatoes!
> Dammit!!!
>
> Andy

Grandma was wrong. This peaked my interest and in fact the skin does
not contain the majority of the nutrients! One more old wives tale down
the drain!
--

thepixelfreak

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "O'Failure" wrote:
>>
>> What makes salt, Kosher?
>>

> Circumcision.... a great job for you, O'Failure... sucking off salty
> foreskins.

When you die a whole lot of ugly is going underground. Or up in smoke

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2009070111083175249-not@dotcom>,
thepixelfreak > wrote:

> On 2009-07-01 04:21:03 -0700, "Jean B." > said:

> > Oh, I have to disagree. Potato skins are yummy!

> Ah, yes. And if you want any nutrition from a potato other than
> carbohydrates you must absolutely eat the skin!

An old wive's tale imnsho:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Potatoes, baked, flesh, with salt
New Search
Refuse: 23% (Skin and adhering flesh)
NDB No: 11829 (Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion)

Nutrient Units Value per
100 grams Number
of Data
Points Std.
Error
Energy
kcal

93
Protein

1.96

6

0.018
Total lipid (fat)

0.10
Carbohydrate, by difference

21.55

0

0
Fiber, total dietary

1.5
Sugars, total

1.70
Minerals
Vitamins
Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid
12.8
Potatoes, baked, flesh and skin, with salt
New Search
Refuse: 0%
NDB No: 11828 (Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion)

Nutrient Units Value per
100 grams Number
of Data
Points Std.