FoodBanter.com

-   -   Coffee Extract (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/173956-coffee-extract.html)

Melba's Jammin' 28-06-2009 08:51 PM

Coffee Extract

Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to make a cup
of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired.
Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
extract.

I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
she said.

I just made a cuppa by putting 1/3 cup of the extract in a cup and
filled it with hot water from my Keurig coffee brewer (shaddap). I
think it was pretty strong and I had to bump up my usual amount of
chocolate syrup and amaretto-flavor Coffeemate. Shoot me. It's pretty
danged tasty. Next time I'll try 1/4 cup of extract.

We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ‹ this stuff is
especially delicious.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Vesper 28-06-2009 09:59 PM

Coffee Extract

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:51:42 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
>She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
>Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
>the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to make a cup
>of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired.
>Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
>extract.
>
>I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
>eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
>she said.
>
>I just made a cuppa by putting 1/3 cup of the extract in a cup and
>filled it with hot water from my Keurig coffee brewer (shaddap). I
>think it was pretty strong and I had to bump up my usual amount of
>chocolate syrup and amaretto-flavor Coffeemate. Shoot me. It's pretty
>danged tasty. Next time I'll try 1/4 cup of extract.
>
>We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
>apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ‹ this stuff is
>especially delicious.

You are one of the reasons I am coming to love this group. Thanks for
the extract idea.

Bobo Bonobo® 28-06-2009 10:32 PM

Coffee Extract

On Jun 28, 2:51Â*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday. Â*
> She's a fan. Â*Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water. Â*
> Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
> the liquid. Â*Toss the grounds. Â*:-) Â*Add hot water to some to make a cup
> of coffee. Â*She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired. Â*
> Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
> extract.
>
> I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
> eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
> she said. Â*
>
> I just made a cuppa by putting 1/3 cup of the extract in a cup and
> filled it with hot water from my Keurig coffee brewer (shaddap). Â*I
> think it was pretty strong and I had to bump up my usual amount of
> chocolate syrup and amaretto-flavor Coffeemate. Â* Shoot me. Â*It's pretty
> danged tasty. Â* Next time I'll try 1/4 cup of extract.

I heard that show too. You can't possibly expect *me* not to comment
on Folger's+Coffeemate. The only good thing I have to say is that at
least you're not polluting *decent* coffee with White trash Coffeemate
products. The whole business is is worse with you, because you know
better.
I know the reply to, "Life is too short to eat crappy foods like
Goddamned Coffemate," is, life is too short to care about the opinion
of some freakin' food snob, but jeez, Barb, I have the decency to keep
my food slumming to myself.

> We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
> apricot butter and need to tend it. Â*Eat your hearts out €¹ this stuff is
> especially delicious.

I'd bet it is. The very other end of the spectrum from Coffeemated
Folger's.

I've been thinking of trying it with a lower end Sumatra (Java
Delight), which is what we usually buy.
http://www.supervalu-storebrands.com/brands.asp

They have lots of stores, perhaps one in your locale:
http://www.supervalu.com/sv-webapp/retail/retail.jsp

I use it to make cafe au lait, with a dash of half&half. You could
add http://www.disaronno.com/

Used as a flavoring, I'd bet it's not much more expensive than the
horrific CoffeeMate product, which is chockfull of transfats and HFCS.

> --
> -Barb

--Bryan

Melba's Jammin' 28-06-2009 11:17 PM

Coffee Extract

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> I heard that show too. You can't possibly expect *me* not to comment
> on Folger's+Coffeemate.
> --Bryan

Hope springs eternal.

Melba's Jammin' 28-06-2009 11:23 PM

Coffee Extract

In article >,
Vesper > wrote:
> You are one of the reasons I am coming to love this group. Thanks for
> the extract idea.

Thank you; you're very kind.

Maybe 35 years ago my dead niece had some fancy gizmo for doing the
selfsame thing. This requires no equipment other than a good-size jar.
The one I used was, I'm guessing, about 1-1/2 to 2 quarts capacity.
Straining it was kind of a pain in that I had to do it in a few steps.

I'm thinking that next time (I'm pretty sure there will be a next time)
I'll pour it through a fine-mesh strainer before filtering through a
coffee filter or three.

The quantities I used produced about a pint of extract; the coffee
grounds really soaked up the water. Give it a try. Heck, there's no
reason you couldn't reduce the proportions even more.

Melba's Jammin' 28-06-2009 11:38 PM

Coffee Extract

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> Used as a flavoring, I'd bet it's not much more expensive than the
> horrific CoffeeMate product, which is chockfull of transfats and HFCS.
>
> --Bryan

It's got lots of -ides, -ates, and -oses but seems devoid of HCFS and
transfats. Bite me.

Melba's Jammin' 28-06-2009 11:40 PM

Coffee Extract

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> I know the reply to, "Life is too short to eat crappy foods like
> Goddamned Coffemate," is, life is too short to care about the opinion
> of some freakin' food snob, but jeez, Barb, I have the decency to keep
> my food slumming to myself.

> --Bryan

Bully for you. If that provides you your air of superiority, then I'm
happy to help. Bite me.

Vesper 28-06-2009 11:52 PM

Coffee Extract

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:23:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Vesper > wrote:
>> You are one of the reasons I am coming to love this group. Thanks for
>> the extract idea.

>Thank you; you're very kind.
>
>Maybe 35 years ago my dead niece had some fancy gizmo for doing the
>selfsame thing. This requires no equipment other than a good-size jar.
>The one I used was, I'm guessing, about 1-1/2 to 2 quarts capacity.
>Straining it was kind of a pain in that I had to do it in a few steps.
>
>I'm thinking that next time (I'm pretty sure there will be a next time)
>I'll pour it through a fine-mesh strainer before filtering through a
>coffee filter or three.
>
>The quantities I used produced about a pint of extract; the coffee
>grounds really soaked up the water. Give it a try. Heck, there's no
>reason you couldn't reduce the proportions even more.

Thanks again.

Bobo Bonobo® 29-06-2009 12:01 AM

Coffee Extract

On Jun 28, 5:38*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
> > Used as a flavoring, I'd bet it's not much more expensive than the
> > horrific CoffeeMate product, which is chockfull of transfats and HFCS.

> > --Bryan

> It's got lots of -ides, -ates, and -oses but seems devoid of HCFS and
> transfats. * *

If so, that's a new thing. Often, they use a serving size that gets
the transfats to <0.5%, which means they can legally say zero. Does
it no longer have "partially hydrogenated..."?
http://www.coffee-mate.com/products/AmarettoLiquid.aspx

Of course not. It's the third ingredient, and instead of HFCS, it has
sugar, which is OK, as is HFCS really, but adding half&half with a
dash of DiSaranno to your coffee instead of that CoffeeMate product is
like using real cheese instead of cheese substitute on a pizza, or
pureed real cherries instead of artificially flavored cherry Kool-Aid
as an ice cream topping.

> Bite me.

I think that the slang term you used translates as, "Perform
cunnilingus on me." Did you really mean that? Some mother superior
you are! Can you say, "Nunsploitation film?" :)

> --
> -Barb

--Bryan

gloria.p 29-06-2009 12:23 AM

Coffee Extract

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
> She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
> Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
> the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to make a cup
> of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired.
> Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
> extract.

Gonna try that!

> We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
> apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ‹ this stuff is
> especially delicious.

OK, what kinds booze did you put in it? (I've used Peach Schnapps.
Prefer it plain or with finely grated orange zest.)

gloria p

Bob Muncie 29-06-2009 01:12 AM

Coffee Extract

gloria.p wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
>> She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
>> Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and
>> reserve the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to
>> make a cup of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is
>> desired. Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in
>> producing the extract.
>>

> Gonna try that!
>

>> We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
>> apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ‹ this stuff
>> is especially delicious.

> OK, what kinds booze did you put in it? (I've used Peach Schnapps.
> Prefer it plain or with finely grated orange zest.)
>
> gloria p

I'm just curious about who would waste an entire lb of coffee on this
experiment, and if indeed you liked the result, would you continue to
make it on a regular basis?

Bob

Tracy[_2_] 29-06-2009 02:08 AM

Coffee Extract

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
> She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
> Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
> the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to make a cup
> of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired.
> Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
> extract.
>
> I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
> eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
> she said.
>
> I just made a cuppa by putting 1/3 cup of the extract in a cup and
> filled it with hot water from my Keurig coffee brewer (shaddap). I
> think it was pretty strong and I had to bump up my usual amount of
> chocolate syrup and amaretto-flavor Coffeemate. Shoot me. It's pretty
> danged tasty. Next time I'll try 1/4 cup of extract.
>
> We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
> apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ‹ this stuff is
> especially delicious.

Since I just kissed my coffee maker goodbye, I just might have to try
this. I bet it would work for iced coffee too.

Thanks.
Tracy

Melba's Jammin' 29-06-2009 02:41 AM

Apricot butter, was Coffee Extract

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
> > apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out Ð this stuff is
> > especially delicious.

> OK, what kinds booze did you put in it? (I've used Peach Schnapps.
> Prefer it plain or with finely grated orange zest.)
>
> gloria p

This has two ingredients: Apricots and sugar. Nada más. The booze is
mainly for the Peach Stuff and the Blueberry Stuff.

Melba's Jammin' 29-06-2009 02:47 AM

Coffee Extract

In article >,
Bob Muncie > wrote:

> I'm just curious about who would waste an entire lb of coffee on this
> experiment,

Heck if Iknow. I made half the recipe and don't consider it wasted.

People have wasted more than a pound of coffee on food experiments. And
why do you consider it a waste of coffee?

> and if indeed you liked the result, would you continue to
> make it on a regular basis?
>
> Bob

I do like the result. Will I make it on a regular basis? IdaKnow.
Likely not, though it was a fresh-tasting cuppa joe when I tried it out
this morning. I think LRK said it'll keep a couple weeks in the
fridge.

Melba's Jammin' 29-06-2009 02:55 AM

Coffee Extract

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> On Jun 28, 5:38*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> >
> > > Used as a flavoring, I'd bet it's not much more expensive than the
> > > horrific CoffeeMate product, which is chockfull of transfats and HFCS.

> > > --Bryan

> > It's got lots of -ides, -ates, and -oses but seems devoid of HCFS and
> > transfats. * *

> If so, that's a new thing. Often, they use a serving size that gets
> the transfats to <0.5%, which means they can legally say zero. Does
> it no longer have "partially hydrogenated..."?
> http://www.coffee-mate.com/products/AmarettoLiquid.aspx
>
> Of course not. It's the third ingredient, and instead of HFCS, it has
> sugar, which is OK, as is HFCS really, but adding half&half with a
> dash of DiSaranno to your coffee instead of that CoffeeMate product is
> like using real cheese instead of cheese substitute on a pizza, or
> pureed real cherries instead of artificially flavored cherry Kool-Aid
> as an ice cream topping.

What's your position on Beet Jelly made with Raspberry Kool-Aid?

> > Bite me.

> I think that the slang term you used translates as, "Perform
> cunnilingus on me."

And here I thought it meant "Kiss my ass!"

> Did you really mean that? Some mother superior
> you are!

The best.

> Can you say, "Nunsploitation film?" :)

Every schoolboy's fantasy. And speaking of fantasy. . .

Fantasy Fudge
3 cups sugar

3/4 cup margarine
1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
1 pkg. (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate pieces
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Bring
to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes
over medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234° F., stirring
constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.
Stir in chocolate pieces until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts and
vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.
Cool at room temperature. Cut into squares.
Makes 3 pounds.

Source: http://www.thatsmyhome.com/fudge-rec...tasy-fudge.htm

(D'ya like the margarine? I thought so. Just for you.)

Mike Beede[_2_] 29-06-2009 03:47 AM

Coffee Extract

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
> eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
> she said.

I had one of the fancy gizmos (young people are suckers) and
used it a few times. In my ever-humble opinion, this kind of
extract is far better as iced coffee than hot (the lack of
any acidity is a drawback hot, but pleasant cold). If you
think you don't like iced coffee, you should try it--you
just might not like iced *brewed* coffee. In fact, most
decent coffee shops make an extract for their iced coffee.

I will note that it would probably be a lot tastier if you
used half a pound of Dunn Brothers, if that isn't too
smarmy an opinion to be allowed to express.

Mike Beede

Melba's Jammin' 29-06-2009 05:57 AM

Coffee Extract

In article >,
Mike Beede > wrote:

> I will note that it would probably be a lot tastier if you
> used half a pound of Dunn Brothers, if that isn't too
> smarmy an opinion to be allowed to express.
>
> Mike Beede

Not smarmy at all, Mike. :-) Rather genteel, in fact. Thing is, I'm
not a particular connoisseur of coffee (or most anything), so the price
difference would come to play. Lynn Rosetto Kasper also recommended it
as being nice for iced coffee.

Melba's Jammin' 29-06-2009 05:58 AM

Coffee Extract

In article >,
Tracy > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
> > She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.

(snip)
> Since I just kissed my coffee maker goodbye, I just might have to try
> this. I bet it would work for iced coffee too.
>
> Thanks.
> Tracy

You're welcome. That (iced coffee) was one of her recommendations for
its use. Granita, too.

Miche[_3_] 29-06-2009 08:58 AM

Coffee Extract

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
> She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
> Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
> the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to make a cup
> of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired.
> Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
> extract.
>
> I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
> eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
> she said.
>
> I just made a cuppa by putting 1/3 cup of the extract in a cup and
> filled it with hot water from my Keurig coffee brewer (shaddap). I
> think it was pretty strong and I had to bump up my usual amount of
> chocolate syrup and amaretto-flavor Coffeemate. Shoot me. It's pretty
> danged tasty. Next time I'll try 1/4 cup of extract.

Yup, I've done that before, and it works well. I tend to only use a
couple of tablespoons of extract per cup.

> We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
> apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ‹ this stuff is
> especially delicious.

Oh, man. Sounds great.

Miche (hey Barbeleh? The Weasel is now the same height as me!)

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Bobo Bonobo® 29-06-2009 10:03 AM

Coffee Extract

On Jun 28, 8:55*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 28, 5:38*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > It's got lots of -ides, -ates, and -oses but seems devoid of HCFS and
> > > transfats. * *

> > If so, that's a new thing. *Often, they use a serving size that gets
> > the transfats to <0.5%, which means they can legally say zero. *Does
> > it no longer have "partially hydrogenated..."?
> >http://www.coffee-mate.com/products/AmarettoLiquid.aspx

> > Of course not. *It's the third ingredient, and instead of HFCS, it has
> > sugar, which is OK, as is HFCS really, but adding half&half with a
> > dash of DiSaranno to your coffee instead of that CoffeeMate product is
> > like using real cheese instead of cheese substitute on a pizza, or
> > pureed real cherries instead of artificially flavored cherry Kool-Aid
> > as an ice cream topping.

> What's your position on Beet Jelly made with Raspberry Kool-Aid?
>
> > > Bite me.

> > I think that the slang term you used translates as, "Perform
> > cunnilingus on me." *

> And here I thought it meant "Kiss my ass!"

Thanks, but no thanks. Unlike you, I'm rather selective about what I
put in my mouth.

> > Did you really mean that? *Some mother superior
> > you are! *

> The best.
>
> > Can you say, "Nunsploitation film?" *:)

> Every schoolboy's fantasy. *

Right up there with wanting to frolic nude with the lunch ladies.

> And speaking of fantasy. . .
>
> Fantasy Fudge
> 3 cups sugar
>
> 3/4 cup margarine
> 1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
> 1 pkg. (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate pieces
> 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
> 1 cup chopped nuts
> 1 tsp. vanilla
>
> Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Bring
> to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes
> over medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234° F., stirring
> constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.
> Stir in chocolate pieces until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts and
> vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.
> Cool at room temperature. Cut into squares.
> Makes 3 pounds.
>
> Source: *http://www.thatsmyhome.com/fudge-rec...tasy-fudge.htm
>
> (D'ya like the margarine? *I thought so. *Just for you.)

That'd go well as a dessert at a potluck that featured hideous, Upper
Midwestern hotdishes.

> --
> -Barb

--Bryan
We all watched that face get freakier and freakier. Why stop now?
support his orphaned children.
Yes, the Michael Jackson Coffin Cam would be a fitting coda to a very
strange life.

Bobo Bonobo® 29-06-2009 10:13 AM

Coffee Extract

On Jun 28, 11:57*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

>*Thing is, I'm not a particular connoisseur of coffee (or most anything)

And your recipes should be seen in that context. At least you're
honest about it.

> --
> -Barb

--Bryan

blake murphy[_2_] 29-06-2009 05:03 PM

Coffee Extract

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:32:35 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2:51*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>> Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday. *
>> She's a fan. *Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water. *
>> Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
>> the liquid. *Toss the grounds. *:-) *Add hot water to some to make a cup
>> of coffee. *She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired. *
>> Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
>> extract.
>>
>> I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
>> eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
>> she said. *
>>
>> I just made a cuppa by putting 1/3 cup of the extract in a cup and
>> filled it with hot water from my Keurig coffee brewer (shaddap). *I
>> think it was pretty strong and I had to bump up my usual amount of
>> chocolate syrup and amaretto-flavor Coffeemate. * Shoot me. *It's pretty
>> danged tasty. * Next time I'll try 1/4 cup of extract.

> I heard that show too. You can't possibly expect *me* not to comment
> on Folger's+Coffeemate.

nope. you're like a trained seal.

> I know the reply to, "Life is too short to eat crappy foods like
> Goddamned Coffemate," is, life is too short to care about the opinion
> of some freakin' food snob, but jeez, Barb, I have the decency to keep
> my food slumming to myself.

there's a whole lotta shit you should try keeping to yourself.

blake

blake murphy[_2_] 29-06-2009 05:09 PM

Coffee Extract

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:40:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
>> I know the reply to, "Life is too short to eat crappy foods like
>> Goddamned Coffemate," is, life is too short to care about the opinion
>> of some freakin' food snob, but jeez, Barb, I have the decency to keep
>> my food slumming to myself.

>> --Bryan

> Bully for you. If that provides you your air of superiority, then I'm
> happy to help. Bite me.

pay him no mind, barb. you have him hopelessly outclassed.

your pal,
blake

Thechefkat 29-06-2009 10:23 PM

Coffee Extract

http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold.../dp/B0006H0JVW
Toddy Coffee ... worth every penny IMHO!!! Delicious! chefkat

King's Crown[_2_] 30-06-2009 12:17 AM

Coffee Extract

This is the cold brew coffee method that this list poo pooed me a few years
ago when I talked about how wonderful it is. My whole family does it now.
The funnel type gadget we use is called Toddy Coffee, so we call the coffee
extract Toddy Coffee or Toddy. Someone is always in charge of bringing the
Toddy when we camp out.

Lynne

Serene Vannoy 30-06-2009 06:38 AM

Coffee Extract

Bob Muncie wrote:

> I'm just curious about who would waste an entire lb of coffee on this
> experiment, and if indeed you liked the result, would you continue to
> make it on a regular basis?

We do it regularly. It makes much better iced-coffee drinks than hot
coffee does, and stays fresh-tasting for a long time in the fridge.
James says it's much smoother than traditional espresso, too. (He's more
of a coffee connoisseur than I am.)

Ours is made in this gizmo, but it's not necessary to buy one in order
to do it right: http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Bobo Bonobo® 30-06-2009 08:46 AM

Coffee Extract

On Jun 29, 11:09*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:40:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> >> I know the reply to, "Life is too short to eat crappy foods like
> >> Goddamned Coffemate," is, life is too short to care about the opinion
> >> of some freakin' food snob, but jeez, Barb, I have the decency to keep
> >> my food slumming to myself.

> >> --Bryan

> > Bully for you. *If that provides you your air of superiority, then I'm
> > happy to help. * Bite me.

> pay him no mind, barb. *you have him hopelessly outclassed.

If you're trying to kiss up to her, keep in mind that she likes anal.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan

Bob Muncie 30-06-2009 10:42 AM

Coffee Extract

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> I'm just curious about who would waste an entire lb of coffee on this
>> experiment, and if indeed you liked the result, would you continue to
>> make it on a regular basis?

> We do it regularly. It makes much better iced-coffee drinks than hot
> coffee does, and stays fresh-tasting for a long time in the fridge.
> James says it's much smoother than traditional espresso, too. (He's more
> of a coffee connoisseur than I am.)
>
> Ours is made in this gizmo, but it's not necessary to buy one in order
> to do it right: http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67
>
> Serene

Thanks Serene -

If you say it, I will assume it is so. Thanks.

bob

Jean B.[_1_] 30-06-2009 02:24 PM

Coffee Extract

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> I'm just curious about who would waste an entire lb of coffee on this
>> experiment, and if indeed you liked the result, would you continue to
>> make it on a regular basis?

> We do it regularly. It makes much better iced-coffee drinks than hot
> coffee does, and stays fresh-tasting for a long time in the fridge.
> James says it's much smoother than traditional espresso, too. (He's more
> of a coffee connoisseur than I am.)
>
> Ours is made in this gizmo, but it's not necessary to buy one in order
> to do it right: http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67
>
> Serene

My one experiment with this turned out poorly, but I blame that on
myself.

--
Jean B.

Tracy[_2_] 30-06-2009 02:35 PM

Coffee Extract

Jean B. wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Bob Muncie wrote:
>>
>>> I'm just curious about who would waste an entire lb of coffee on this
>>> experiment, and if indeed you liked the result, would you continue to
>>> make it on a regular basis?

>> We do it regularly. It makes much better iced-coffee drinks than hot
>> coffee does, and stays fresh-tasting for a long time in the fridge.
>> James says it's much smoother than traditional espresso, too. (He's
>> more of a coffee connoisseur than I am.)
>>
>> Ours is made in this gizmo, but it's not necessary to buy one in order
>> to do it right: http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67
>>
>> Serene
>>

> My one experiment with this turned out poorly, but I blame that on myself.

I just made it yesterday - actually as soon as I read about it, I went
straight to the kitchen to do it!
I have a few pounds of Peet's coffee I got when the DS had leftover meal
plan money at the end of his semester. It had to be spent or lost -so I
got a few pounds of coffee among other things.

Anyway, I used the large glass jug for limoncello making and I dumped a
bag of coffee and added about 10 cups of filtered water. The next day
after work I strained it using my Thai iced tea sock. I am so glad I
bought that thing. Worked awesome.

I took some of the extract with me to work today, so I can have iced
coffee at work without having to brew a cup and add ice - which is yucky.

-Tracy

Jean B.[_1_] 30-06-2009 03:06 PM

Coffee Extract

Tracy wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> We do it regularly. It makes much better iced-coffee drinks than hot
>>> coffee does, and stays fresh-tasting for a long time in the fridge.
>>> James says it's much smoother than traditional espresso, too. (He's
>>> more of a coffee connoisseur than I am.)
>>>
>>> Ours is made in this gizmo, but it's not necessary to buy one in
>>> order to do it right:
>>> http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>> My one experiment with this turned out poorly, but I blame that on
>> myself.
>>

> I just made it yesterday - actually as soon as I read about it, I went
> straight to the kitchen to do it!
> I have a few pounds of Peet's coffee I got when the DS had leftover meal
> plan money at the end of his semester. It had to be spent or lost -so I
> got a few pounds of coffee among other things.
>
> Anyway, I used the large glass jug for limoncello making and I dumped a
> bag of coffee and added about 10 cups of filtered water. The next day
> after work I strained it using my Thai iced tea sock. I am so glad I
> bought that thing. Worked awesome.
>
> I took some of the extract with me to work today, so I can have iced
> coffee at work without having to brew a cup and add ice - which is yucky.
>
> -Tracy

Have you sampled it yet?

--
Jean B.

Tracy[_2_] 30-06-2009 03:56 PM

Coffee Extract

Jean B. wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> My one experiment with this turned out poorly, but I blame that on
>>> myself.
>>>

>> I just made it yesterday - actually as soon as I read about it, I went
>> straight to the kitchen to do it!
>> I have a few pounds of Peet's coffee I got when the DS had leftover
>> meal plan money at the end of his semester. It had to be spent or lost
>> -so I got a few pounds of coffee among other things.
>>
>> Anyway, I used the large glass jug for limoncello making and I dumped
>> a bag of coffee and added about 10 cups of filtered water. The next
>> day after work I strained it using my Thai iced tea sock. I am so glad
>> I bought that thing. Worked awesome.
>>
>> I took some of the extract with me to work today, so I can have iced
>> coffee at work without having to brew a cup and add ice - which is yucky.
>>
>> -Tracy

> Have you sampled it yet?

Yes. I put about a quarter of cup of the extract into one of those Solo
brand plastic cups - filled with ice, added water from the water bubbler
and a bit of cream - voila - iced coffee.

-Tracy

blake murphy[_2_] 30-06-2009 05:29 PM

Coffee Extract

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:46:44 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Jun 29, 11:09*am, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:40:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In article

>>> Bully for you. *If that provides you your air of superiority, then I'm
>>> happy to help. * Bite me.

>> pay him no mind, barb. *you have him hopelessly outclassed.

> If you're trying to kiss up to her, keep in mind that she likes anal.

you're a classy guy, bobo.

blake

Gregory Morrow[_275_] 30-06-2009 09:29 PM

Coffee Extract

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:46:44 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

>>> pay him no mind, barb. you have him hopelessly outclassed.

>> If you're trying to kiss up to her, keep in mind that she likes anal.
>>>

> you're a classy guy, bobo.

Lol...I wonder how things are for B00b00 on the dog - poisoning
"front"...???

--
Best
Greg

Melba's Jammin' 30-06-2009 10:51 PM

Coffee Extract

In article >, Tracy >
wrote:

> Anyway, I used the large glass jug for limoncello making and I dumped a
> bag of coffee and added about 10 cups of filtered water. The next day
> after work I strained it using my Thai iced tea sock. I am so glad I
> bought that thing. Worked awesome.
>
> I took some of the extract with me to work today, so I can have iced
> coffee at work without having to brew a cup and add ice - which is yucky.
>
> -Tracy

Did you like the result?

Tracy[_2_] 30-06-2009 11:54 PM

Coffee Extract

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Tracy >
> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I used the large glass jug for limoncello making and I dumped a
>> bag of coffee and added about 10 cups of filtered water. The next day
>> after work I strained it using my Thai iced tea sock. I am so glad I
>> bought that thing. Worked awesome.
>>
>> I took some of the extract with me to work today, so I can have iced
>> coffee at work without having to brew a cup and add ice - which is yucky.
>>
>> -Tracy

> Did you like the result?

Yes, very much. I haven't tried it hot yet.
Thanks for posting this!

-Tracy (happy I don't have to buy a new coffee maker right about now.)