Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Did you ever get a recipe review like this?

" Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
bells.
I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
in all, not a bad recipe."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:00:15 -0400, Chico wrote:

> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
> in all, not a bad recipe."

Write them back. Do you need help? I'm really good as responses
like these.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:30:22 -0500, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:00:15 -0400, Chico wrote:
>
>> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
>> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
>> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
>> bells.
>> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
>> in all, not a bad recipe."

>Write them back. Do you need help? I'm really good as responses
>like these.

Write it here, I'm sure we'll enjoy it :-)

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chico" > wrote in
news
> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so
> I used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and
> I left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted
> green bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry.
> All in all, not a bad recipe."

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers
nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a
stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad
drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:00:15 -0400, Chico wrote:
>
>> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
>> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
>> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
>> bells.
>> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry.
>> All
>> in all, not a bad recipe."

> Write them back. Do you need help? I'm really good as responses
> like these.
>
> -sw

Post your's here if you like.
I just told them to let me know when they tried mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 11:00�am, "Chico" > wrote:
> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
> in all, not a bad recipe."

Found on another site:

I didn't have potatoes,
So I substituted rice.
I didn't have paprika,
So I used another spice.
I didn't have tomato sauce,
I used tomato paste.
That was the whole can,
I don't believe in waste.
A friend gave me the recipe,
She said you couldn't beat it.
There must be something wrong with her....
I couldn't even eat it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:20:17 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>There must be something wrong with her....
>I couldn't even eat it!

Haven't you noticed that this has been going on here for twenty plus
years?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 28, 8:00*am, "Chico" > wrote:
> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
> in all, not a bad recipe."

The few people who have ever asked me for a recipe have got detailed
description of any unusual ingredients and instructions -- sometimes a
demo -- for any essential techniques. And a discussion of possible
variations. After all that, no one has reported back the way you
describe for fear of getting all the verbiage again, in spades. -
aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Chico" > wrote:

> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
> in all, not a bad recipe."

"Next time make my recipe and decide how you like it."

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:00:15 -0400, Chico wrote:
>
> > " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> > used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> > left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> > bells.
> > I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
> > in all, not a bad recipe."

> Write them back. Do you need help? I'm really good as responses
> like these.

As in "cut them a new asshole".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 11:00?am, "Chico" > wrote:
> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry.
> All
> in all, not a bad recipe."

Found on another site:

I didn't have potatoes,
So I substituted rice.
I didn't have paprika,
So I used another spice.
I didn't have tomato sauce,
I used tomato paste.
That was the whole can,
I don't believe in waste.
A friend gave me the recipe,
She said you couldn't beat it.
There must be something wrong with her....
I couldn't even eat it!

I like it :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chico" > wrote in message
news
>" Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
>used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
>left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
>bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry.
> All in all, not a bad recipe."

I get recipes from the Allrecipes.com site. People post recipes and members
can review them. It amazed me how many times they alter it and then give it
poor review. My ex sister-in-law was chastised for volunteering to bring
the family traditional thanksgiving salad, and making it with yogurt instead
of mayo. It was not good, and it was thanksgiving! Who counts calories
that day??

I always follow the recipe exactly the first run, and then make any changes
on later attempts.

Oh well, people are people!

DP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chico" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>" Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I >
>used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I >
>left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
>bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry.
> All > in all, not a bad recipe."

Not any more. After the first one died it stopped being a problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 7:04�pm, "Dale P" > wrote:
> "Chico" > wrote in message
>
> news >
> >" Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> >used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> >left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> >bells.
> > I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry.
> > All in all, not a bad recipe."

> I get recipes from the Allrecipes.com site. �People post recipes and members
> can review them. �It amazed me how many times they alter it and then give it
> poor review. �My ex sister-in-law was chastised for volunteering to bring
> the family traditional thanksgiving salad, and making it with yogurt instead
> of mayo. �It was not good, and it was thanksgiving! �Who counts calories
> that day??
> Oh well, people are people!
>
> DP

How could she even think she could substitute yogurt for mayonnaise.
The two aren't even from the same food group.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fOn Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:04:00 -0600, Dale P wrote:

> "Chico" > wrote in message
> news
>>" Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
>>used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
>>left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
>>bells.
>> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry.
>> All in all, not a bad recipe."
>>

> I get recipes from the Allrecipes.com site. People post recipes and members
> can review them. It amazed me how many times they alter it and then give it
> poor review. My ex sister-in-law was chastised for volunteering to bring
> the family traditional thanksgiving salad, and making it with yogurt instead
> of mayo. It was not good, and it was thanksgiving! Who counts calories
> that day??

i often see the opposite in the comments at the about.com chinese food site

<http://chinesefood.about.com/>

'i used this instead of that, and that instead of this, and it was great!
five stars!!'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 11:00*am, "Chico" > wrote:
> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
> in all, not a bad recipe."

At least they liked it! One of my pet peeves is when someone totally
changes a recipe then complains about it.

I mean, do it right. Then if it STILL doesn't suit you, you can just
chalk it up to differing tastes.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Dale P" > wrote:

> I get recipes from the Allrecipes.com site. People post recipes and members
> can review them. It amazed me how many times they alter it and then give it
> poor review.

That bugs me too, sometimes. Then again, sometimes it's my humor of the
day, like when the reveiwer cuts the spices for a chili recipe by 2/3,
and complains that it is still too spicy!

> My ex sister-in-law was chastised for volunteering to bring

Is that why she's the "ex"?

:-)

> the family traditional thanksgiving salad, and making it with yogurt instead
> of mayo. It was not good, and it was thanksgiving! Who counts calories
> that day??

Me. And I don't like turkey, and mashed potatoes are barely OK, and I
*hate* turkey gravy because it tastes like turkey. And those overly
sweet sweet potatoes not only have too many calories, but I don't like
them.

> I always follow the recipe exactly the first run, and then make any changes
> on later attempts.

I seldom follow the recipe, even the first time. Then again, I don't
criticize a recipe that I didn't follow.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:53:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> > How could she even think she could substitute yogurt for mayonnaise.
> > The two aren't even from the same food group.

> it's not the same, but it 'works' in many recipes.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Hmmm. I will swap yogurt for sour cream, but mayo is a whole 'nother
taste, Blake.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:36:11 GMT, blake murphy
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>i often see the opposite in the comments at the about.com chinese food site
>
><http://chinesefood.about.com/>
>
>'i used this instead of that, and that instead of this, and it was great!
>five stars!!'

AFAICS, the Food Network and Epicurious reviewers do the same thing.
Usually it's slight - an ingredient added or subtracted that doesn't
amount to much, but occasionally it's convoluted the recipe clear out
of recognition. I had a friend do something similar when she begged me
for my strawberry souffle recipe. By the time she finished adding
this, changing that and replacing something else, she had something
that more closely resembled raspberry cake.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Dale P" > wrote:
>

>> I get recipes from the Allrecipes.com site. People post recipes and
>> members
>> can review them. It amazed me how many times they alter it and then give
>> it
>> poor review.

> That bugs me too, sometimes. Then again, sometimes it's my humor of the
> day, like when the reveiwer cuts the spices for a chili recipe by 2/3,
> and complains that it is still too spicy!

It does give a good chuckle or sigh of "oh my" at times!

>> My ex sister-in-law was chastised for volunteering to bring

> Is that why she's the "ex"?

No, but the new SIL was verbally warned about altering family recipes!! She
is a slight improvement. Love my brother-in-law, but his choices in wives
is really bad.

> :-)
>
>> the family traditional thanksgiving salad, and making it with yogurt
>> instead
>> of mayo. It was not good, and it was thanksgiving! Who counts calories
>> that day??

> Me. And I don't like turkey, and mashed potatoes are barely OK, and I
> *hate* turkey gravy because it tastes like turkey. And those overly
> sweet sweet potatoes not only have too many calories, but I don't like
> them.

As for me, I love turkey. We don't do the overly sweet sweet potatoes.
There are just some family traditions that are a must for the day, even if
we just eat a few bites of it.

>> I always follow the recipe exactly the first run, and then make any
>> changes
>> on later attempts.

> I seldom follow the recipe, even the first time. Then again, I don't
> criticize a recipe that I didn't follow.

I do end up making a lot of changes to a recipe if I see potential for it.
On of the ones I love now is a balsamic chicken that stresses serving
promptly. I found it is much better when held for an hour or two. I did
that out of convenience for serving a dinner party. The taste was much
better and the chicken was melt in your mouth.

DP

> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 7:04�pm, "Dale P" > wrote:
> "Chico" > wrote in message
>
> news >
> >" Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> >used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> >left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> >bells.
> > I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry.
> > All in all, not a bad recipe."

> I get recipes from the Allrecipes.com site. �People post recipes and
> members
> can review them. �It amazed me how many times they alter it and then give
> it
> poor review. �My ex sister-in-law was chastised for volunteering to bring
> the family traditional thanksgiving salad, and making it with yogurt
> instead
> of mayo. �It was not good, and it was thanksgiving! �Who counts calories
> that day??
> Oh well, people are people!
>
> DP

How could she even think she could substitute yogurt for mayonnaise.
The two aren't even from the same food group.

She wasn't the brightest bulb on the chandelier!! It was during a time when
she had lost a goodly amount of weight, and was counting every fat calorie.

DP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Dale P" > wrote:

>> the family traditional thanksgiving salad, and making it with yogurt instead
>> of mayo. It was not good, and it was thanksgiving! Who counts calories
>> that day??

> Me. And I don't like turkey, and mashed potatoes are barely OK, and I
> *hate* turkey gravy because it tastes like turkey. And those overly
> sweet sweet potatoes not only have too many calories, but I don't like
> them.

I don't count calories ever, but the traditional Thanksgiving dinner
just isn't my cup of tea, either. I dislike turkey and turkey gravy,
tolerate mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, and am not a huge dessert
person. Still, it's my favorite holiday, because it's about gratitude
and food, my two favorite things.

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Dale P" > wrote:

> She wasn't the brightest bulb on the chandelier!! It was during a time when
> she had lost a goodly amount of weight, and was counting every fat calorie.

I just *love* to count fat calories. I count them over and over again!
The more the better!

(OK, I'm pulling your leg, but I do like my fat.)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:31:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:53:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>>> How could she even think she could substitute yogurt for mayonnaise.
>>> The two aren't even from the same food group.

>> it's not the same, but it 'works' in many recipes.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Hmmm. I will swap yogurt for sour cream, but mayo is a whole 'nother
> taste, Blake.

you're probably right. how about in a hotdish?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 11:07*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
[snip]
> I just *love* to count fat calories. *I count them over and over again! *
> The more the better!

"He shoots. He scores! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAALLLL!!"

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 10:00 am, "Chico" > wrote:
> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
> bells.
> I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a hurry. All
> in all, not a bad recipe."

LOL. My grandmother "improved" nearly every recipe by adding one of
these: miniature marshmallows, pineapple, or crushed corn flakes or
Wheaties. Surprisingly, most of them were quite tasty. (Well, except
for the marshmallow ones.)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote
> "Chico" wrote:

>> " Hi I tried your recipe and it was OK. I didn't have any 'whatever' so I
>> used 'theirs' I used less water because I like it a little thicker and I
>> left out the wine. Nobody here likes hot peppers so I substituted green
>> bells. I cooked it for 30 minutes instead of an hour because I was in a
>> hurry. All
>> in all, not a bad recipe."

> LOL. My grandmother "improved" nearly every recipe by adding one of
> these: miniature marshmallows, pineapple, or crushed corn flakes or
> Wheaties. Surprisingly, most of them were quite tasty. (Well, except
> for the marshmallow ones.)

Grin, I'm a tweaker but I'd never tweak one then 'review' the original based
on my tweaks!