Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rice Flour!

Why has nobody mentioned this to me?

I bought & used my first 1 pound box of rice flour today. I was
reaching for a 5 pound bag of "Gold Medal" white flower and i saw next
to it a 1 pound box of rice flour, i didn't even really, consciously
think about it, i just grabbed the rice flour, didn't even look at an
ingredients label till after i had eaten some, that's all right though,
seems i inadvertently bought a prestige brand of rice flour

At the back of my mind i was reluctant to carry a 5 pound bag of white
flour around with me while i walked around & did some other shopping in
the local Asian shopping area.

I made a simple white sauce with it.

After sautéing in butter a couple of peeled & diced, precooked, baked
potatoes with a clove of crushed garlic i added a tbs. of the rice
flour, let it brown a bit and coat all the potatoes & mix with the
butter to form a roux & fond. I then put in a cup of milk or so, let it
come to a nice thick sauce stage and tasted. It is subtly superb. And
with a specific, though very subtle taste i recall from many sauces in
many restaurants. Much better than white flour for a sauce.

To finish this mornings sauce i put a half cup of grated sharp cheddar
in it to melt & mix in, needless to say, i am very pleased.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 3:04*pm, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." >
wrote:
> Why has nobody mentioned this to me?
>
> I bought & used my first 1 pound box of rice flour today. *I was
> reaching for a 5 pound bag of "Gold Medal" white flower *and i saw next
> to it a 1 pound box of rice flour, i didn't even really, consciously
> think about it, i just grabbed the rice flour, didn't even look at an
> ingredients label till after i had eaten some, that's all right though,
> seems i inadvertently bought a prestige brand of rice flour
>
> At the back of my mind i was reluctant to carry a 5 pound bag of white
> flour around with me while i walked around & did some other shopping in
> the local Asian shopping area.
>
> I made a simple white sauce with it.
>
> After sautéing in butter a couple of peeled & diced, precooked, baked
> potatoes with a clove of crushed garlic i added a tbs. of the rice
> flour, let it brown a bit and coat all the potatoes & mix with the
> butter to form a roux & fond. *I then put in a cup of milk or so, let it
> come to a nice thick sauce stage and tasted. *It is subtly superb. *And
> with a specific, though very subtle taste i recall from many sauces in
> many restaurants. *Much better than white flour for a sauce.
>
> To finish this mornings sauce i put a half cup of grated sharp cheddar
> in it to melt & mix in, needless to say, i am very pleased.
> --
> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.
>
> Domine, dirige nos.
> Let the games begin!http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

I used to work in a bakery that used it for shortbread...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Merryb wrote:
> On Jun 25, 3:04 pm, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." >
> wrote:
>> Why has nobody mentioned this to me?
>>
>> I bought & used my first 1 pound box of rice flour today. I was
>> reaching for a 5 pound bag of "Gold Medal" white flower and i saw next
>> to it a 1 pound box of rice flour, i didn't even really, consciously
>> think about it, i just grabbed the rice flour, didn't even look at an
>> ingredients label till after i had eaten some, that's all right though,
>> seems i inadvertently bought a prestige brand of rice flour
>>
>> At the back of my mind i was reluctant to carry a 5 pound bag of white
>> flour around with me while i walked around & did some other shopping in
>> the local Asian shopping area.
>>
>> I made a simple white sauce with it.
>>
>> After sautéing in butter a couple of peeled & diced, precooked, baked
>> potatoes with a clove of crushed garlic i added a tbs. of the rice
>> flour, let it brown a bit and coat all the potatoes & mix with the
>> butter to form a roux & fond. I then put in a cup of milk or so, let it
>> come to a nice thick sauce stage and tasted. It is subtly superb. And
>> with a specific, though very subtle taste i recall from many sauces in
>> many restaurants. Much better than white flour for a sauce.
>>
>> To finish this mornings sauce i put a half cup of grated sharp cheddar
>> in it to melt & mix in, needless to say, i am very pleased.
>> --
>> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.
>>
>> Domine, dirige nos.
>> Let the games begin!http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

> I used to work in a bakery that used it for shortbread...

That's about the only Western food I've seen it in. Of course, I
am not speaking of recipes that have been altered to eliminate gluten.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 6:04*pm, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." >
wrote:
> Why has nobody mentioned this to me?
>
> I bought & used my first 1 pound box of rice flour today. *I was
> reaching for a 5 pound bag of "Gold Medal" white flower *and i saw next
> to it a 1 pound box of rice flour, i didn't even really, consciously
> think about it, i just grabbed the rice flour, didn't even look at an
> ingredients label till after i had eaten some, that's all right though,
> seems i inadvertently bought a prestige brand of rice flour
>
> At the back of my mind i was reluctant to carry a 5 pound bag of white
> flour around with me while i walked around & did some other shopping in
> the local Asian shopping area.
>
> I made a simple white sauce with it.
>
> After sautéing in butter a couple of peeled & diced, precooked, baked
> potatoes with a clove of crushed garlic i added a tbs. of the rice
> flour, let it brown a bit and coat all the potatoes & mix with the
> butter to form a roux & fond. *I then put in a cup of milk or so, let it
> come to a nice thick sauce stage and tasted. *It is subtly superb. *And
> with a specific, though very subtle taste i recall from many sauces in
> many restaurants. *Much better than white flour for a sauce.
>
> To finish this mornings sauce i put a half cup of grated sharp cheddar
> in it to melt & mix in, needless to say, i am very pleased.
> --
> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.
>
> Domine, dirige nos.
> Let the games begin!http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

I have started using it for lots of things. Fried Chicken is
wonderfully crispy, but cut the temp and increase the cooking time.
Rice flour burns more quickly than wheat flour.
Nan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote:

> Why has nobody mentioned this to me?

<snipped>

> To finish this mornings sauce i put a half cup of grated sharp cheddar
> in it to melt & mix in, needless to say, i am very pleased.

Very cool.

I've only ever used it for deep frying.
You've inspired me!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Plain Rice Flour OR Sweet Rice Flour ms. tonya General Cooking 0 20-01-2013 01:57 AM
Rice flour maxine in ri General Cooking 7 09-02-2009 06:07 PM
Rice flour question stiko Baking 1 07-09-2005 03:42 PM
rice flour Phyllis General Cooking 0 12-10-2004 09:57 PM