Old 24-06-2009, 03:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 'Overweight' people live longer than those of 'ideal' weight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Old 24-06-2009, 03:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

Yes. I saw that on today's morning news.

Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer" study.

Andy
--
"I only know what I read, not what I'm talking about!"
--Andy

Old 24-06-2009, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
your knees, and hip joints.

If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
than a fluff piece.

So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
such a good idea? Damn.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 24-06-2009, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer"
study.

I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 24-06-2009, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
your knees, and hip joints.

If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
than a fluff piece.

So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
such a good idea? Damn.

When in doubt, stick to the platter of nachos grandé!

My junk-food rule.

Andy

Old 24-06-2009, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Unfortunately, it's wishful thinking but you can get a survey to prove
anything if you look hard enough :-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 24-06-2009, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

Andy wrote:

Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer"
study.

I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

Oh, right!!!

I'm one of them too... 80/15%.

I forgot!

Andy

Old 24-06-2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
your knees, and hip joints.

If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
than a fluff piece.

So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
such a good idea? Damn.

It means you'll still live longer. But you won't enjoy it.

Paul

Old 24-06-2009, 04:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
such a good idea? Damn.

It means you'll still live longer. But you won't enjoy it.

Good point.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 24-06-2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
your knees, and hip joints.

If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
than a fluff piece.

One of my grandmother was short and a little on the plump side. She ate
all sorts of rich foods. Hell, if there was a little cream left in a
pitcher she would drink it rather than put it back in the bottle (in the
days when cream came in a bottle). She died a week before her 100th
birthday. Her husband was slim and died at 56. My other grandmother was
quite plump, and she lived to be 95. My mother had a weight problem and
died at 83, while my father, who was slim, died at 77.

Old 24-06-2009, 05:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
your knees, and hip joints.

If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
than a fluff piece.

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, humbug!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers
nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a
stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad
drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous

Old 24-06-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
your knees, and hip joints.

If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
than a fluff piece.

One of my grandmother was short and a little on the plump side. She ate
all sorts of rich foods. Hell, if there was a little cream left in a
pitcher she would drink it rather than put it back in the bottle (in the
days when cream came in a bottle). She died a week before her 100th
birthday. Her husband was slim and died at 56. My other grandmother was
quite plump, and she lived to be 95. My mother had a weight problem and
died at 83, while my father, who was slim, died at 77.

It's like smoking, if you are a smoker and live to be 99, the WHO calls that
a smoking related death. If you are a non-smoker and die at 99 and live
with a smoker, that too is a smoking related death.

Paul

Old 24-06-2009, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , says...
ChattyCathy said...

Andy wrote:

Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer"
study.

I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

Oh, right!!!

I'm one of them too... 80/15%.

I forgot!

Andy

I reckon, in a locked room, the carnivore would live longer than the
herbivore.

At least as long as it took to eat the herbivore.
--
Carl Robson
Get cashback on your purchases
Old 24-06-2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Elder said...

In article , says...
ChattyCathy said...

Andy wrote:

Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer"
study.

I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

Oh, right!!!

I'm one of them too... 80/15%.

I forgot!

Andy

I reckon, in a locked room, the carnivore would live longer than the
herbivore.

At least as long as it took to eat the herbivore.

Heh heh heh heh heh heh!

CAUTION: You might be eating lettuce!

Andy