Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 'Overweight' people live longer than those of 'ideal' weight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

Yes. I saw that on today's morning news.

Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer" study.

Andy
--
"I only know what I read, not what I'm talking about!"
--Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

> Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
> overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
> cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
> your knees, and hip joints.
>
> If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
> than a fluff piece.

So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
such a good idea? Damn.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer"
> study.

I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> Stu wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

>> Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
>> overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
>> cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
>> your knees, and hip joints.
>>
>> If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
>> than a fluff piece.

> So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
> such a good idea? Damn.

When in doubt, stick to the platter of nachos grandé!

My junk-food rule.

Andy
--
"I only know what I read, not what I'm talking about!"
--Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Unfortunately, it's wishful thinking but you can get a survey to prove
anything if you look hard enough :-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> Andy wrote:
>

>> Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer"
>> study.

> I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

Oh, right!!!

I'm one of them too... 80/15%.

I forgot!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Stu wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

>> Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
>> overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
>> cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
>> your knees, and hip joints.
>>
>> If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
>> than a fluff piece.

> So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
> such a good idea? Damn.

It means you'll still live longer. But you won't enjoy it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
>> such a good idea? Damn.

> It means you'll still live longer. But you won't enjoy it.

Good point.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

> Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
> overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
> cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
> your knees, and hip joints.
>
> If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
> than a fluff piece.

One of my grandmother was short and a little on the plump side. She ate
all sorts of rich foods. Hell, if there was a little cream left in a
pitcher she would drink it rather than put it back in the bottle (in the
days when cream came in a bottle). She died a week before her 100th
birthday. Her husband was slim and died at 56. My other grandmother was
quite plump, and she lived to be 95. My mother had a weight problem and
died at 83, while my father, who was slim, died at 77.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu > wrote in news:aee445dset28ssos3eui0okqo2942a3h0f@
4ax.com:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

> Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
> overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
> cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
> your knees, and hip joints.
>
> If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
> than a fluff piece.

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, humbug!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers
nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a
stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad
drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:x8r0m.53510$FI5.43591
@newsfe12.iad:

> Stu wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

>> Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
>> overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
>> cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
>> your knees, and hip joints.
>>
>> If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
>> than a fluff piece.

> So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
> such a good idea? Damn.

What flavour?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Stu wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

>> Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
>> overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
>> cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
>> your knees, and hip joints.
>>
>> If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
>> than a fluff piece.

> One of my grandmother was short and a little on the plump side. She ate
> all sorts of rich foods. Hell, if there was a little cream left in a
> pitcher she would drink it rather than put it back in the bottle (in the
> days when cream came in a bottle). She died a week before her 100th
> birthday. Her husband was slim and died at 56. My other grandmother was
> quite plump, and she lived to be 95. My mother had a weight problem and
> died at 83, while my father, who was slim, died at 77.

It's like smoking, if you are a smoker and live to be 99, the WHO calls that
a smoking related death. If you are a non-smoker and die at 99 and live
with a smoker, that too is a smoking related death.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...
> ChattyCathy said...
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >

> >> Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer"
> >> study.

> > I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

> Oh, right!!!
>
> I'm one of them too... 80/15%.
>
> I forgot!
>
> Andy

I reckon, in a locked room, the carnivore would live longer than the
herbivore.

At least as long as it took to eat the herbivore.
--
Carl Robson
Get cashback on your purchases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Elder said...

> In article >, says...
>> ChattyCathy said...

>> > I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

>> Oh, right!!!
>>
>> I'm one of them too... 80/15%.
>>
>> I forgot!
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I reckon, in a locked room, the carnivore would live longer than the
> herbivore.
>
> At least as long as it took to eat the herbivore.

Heh heh heh heh heh heh!

CAUTION: You might be eating lettuce!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Elder wrote:
> I reckon, in a locked room, the carnivore would live longer than the
> herbivore.
>
> At least as long as it took to eat the herbivore.

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 7:56*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:

> So I guess that second bag of potato chips I was going to open is not
> such a good idea? Damn.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

If you don't open it, I will!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Stu wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

> > Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
> > overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
> > cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
> > your knees, and hip joints.
> >
> > If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
> > than a fluff piece.

> One of my grandmother was short and a little on the plump side. She ate
> all sorts of rich foods. Hell, if there was a little cream left in a
> pitcher she would drink it rather than put it back in the bottle (in the
> days when cream came in a bottle). She died a week before her 100th
> birthday. Her husband was slim and died at 56. My other grandmother was
> quite plump, and she lived to be 95. My mother had a weight problem and
> died at 83, while my father, who was slim, died at 77.

Um, you seem to be missing the fact that women generally live longer
than men.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 10:25*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Stu wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > > wrote:

> >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/

> > Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
> > overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
> > cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
> > your knees, and hip joints.

> > If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
> > than a fluff piece.

> One of my grandmother was short and a little on the plump side. She ate
> all sorts of rich foods. Hell, if there was a little cream left in a
> pitcher she would drink it rather than put it back in the bottle (in the
> days when cream came in a bottle). *She died a week before her 100th
> birthday. Her husband was slim and died at 56. My other grandmother was
> quite plump, and she lived to be 95. My mother had a weight problem and
> died at 83, while my father, who was slim, died at 77.

Yep. Genetics are as important as anything else in this discussion.
My entire family, on both my father's and mother's side are very large
people. Ranging from simply overweight to morbidly obese. One of my
paternal uncles died at 78, but he also had a lifelong alcohol
problem. Everyone else made it into their late 80s or early 90s; and
my maternal grandmother, who was as wide as she was tall, died a few
months past her 99th. Her mother was said to be 101 when she died,
but that was long before my time.

I don't dismiss the effect of excess weight on the health of many
people. But, too many people judge that the overweight are both
unhealthy and undisciplined, when that's not always the case.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Elder" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, says...
>> ChattyCathy said...

>> > I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

>> Oh, right!!!
>>
>> I'm one of them too... 80/15%.
>>
>> I forgot!
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I reckon, in a locked room, the carnivore would live longer than the
> herbivore.

Are you gonna take on a rhino, hippo, the elephant in the room...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:29:01 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>
>>Stu > wrote in

>>4ax.com:
>>
>>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:31:34 +0200, ChattyCathy

>>> Actually that's not true. The strain on the heart is more if
>>> overweight by more than 25 lbs. Then there's the belly fat, a pre
>>> cursor to stroke and heart disease. The extra weight plays havic with
>>> your knees, and hip joints.
>>>
>>> If they are talking about over 10- 12 lbs., the artice is nothing more
>>> than a fluff piece.
>>>

>>Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, humbug!!

> Refute my statement, don't just make nose noises

OK, I refute your statement.

And the "Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, humbug!!" didn't come from my nose, if I
was actually saying the words, it would come from my mouth.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 10:09*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
> > Personally, I'd rather see a vegetarian vs. carnivore "live longer"
> > study.

> I'm an omnivore, not a carnivore. I eat vegetables too.

Your parents make you eat those things too? Yuck. They're GREEN!

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:09:45 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>
>>Stu > wrote in
m:

with

more

>>> Refute my statement, don't just make nose noises
>>>

>>OK, I refute your statement.
>>

>>And the "Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, humbug!!" didn't come from my nose, if

>>was actually saying the words, it would come from my mouth.

> Prove me wrong, and please provide proof if you can, rather than just
> your nose noises.

Well Stu, as you didn't provide proof of your assertions that it's just a
'fluff piece', how am I to take your comments seriously?

You basically agreed with the article that *obese* people are at risk, but
then disagree that 'overweight' people (ie, in the range between 'ideal'
and 'obese') have been found by a bunch of scientists/doctors and studies
to actually live longer.

Where is *your* proof that 'overweight' people *don't* live longer??
Did you conduct a study that the scientists and doctors didn't know about?

Just remember Stu, there are different catagories on that stupid BMI
scale.

Underweight, Ideal, Overweight, Obese, and Morbidly Obese (I think).

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 10:31*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...t_live_longer/
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

OF course, a while back they were saying that people who live on
extremely low calorie diets live longer than the rest of us slobs who
eat normally. At least, they got that results with rats or mice.

I'd like to see the actual research results, as well as the
corroborating research that verified it.

maxine in ri
skeptic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine" > wrote:

>I'd like to see the actual research results, as well as the
>corroborating research that verified it.

Remember those insurance charts? The ones that showed the alleged healthiest
weights based upon the weights of those who lived the longest? They used to
run maybe 20-30 lbs heavier than what we think of as an ideal weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:7rr0m.926
:

> Unfortunately, it's wishful thinking but you can get a survey to prove
> anything if you look hard enough :-)

Like the one that proved that lard is good for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

>> One of my grandmother was short and a little on the plump side. She ate
>> all sorts of rich foods. Hell, if there was a little cream left in a
>> pitcher she would drink it rather than put it back in the bottle (in the
>> days when cream came in a bottle). She died a week before her 100th
>> birthday. Her husband was slim and died at 56. My other grandmother was
>> quite plump, and she lived to be 95. My mother had a weight problem and
>> died at 83, while my father, who was slim, died at 77.

> Um, you seem to be missing the fact that women generally live longer
> than men.

No. I was thinking more along the line that they were both over their
ideal weights and lived a long time. FWIW, my great grandfather lived
to be over 100.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 02:55:59 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>
>> Stu > wrote in
>> :

>> with

>> more

>>> Prove me wrong, and please provide proof if you can, rather than just
>>> your nose noises.
>>>

>> Well Stu, as you didn't provide proof of your assertions that it's just a
>> 'fluff piece', how am I to take your comments seriously?
>>
>> You basically agreed with the article that *obese* people are at risk, but
>> then disagree that 'overweight' people (ie, in the range between 'ideal'
>> and 'obese') have been found by a bunch of scientists/doctors and studies
>> to actually live longer.
>>
>> Where is *your* proof that 'overweight' people *don't* live longer??
>> Did you conduct a study that the scientists and doctors didn't know about?
>>

>> Just remember Stu, there are different catagories on that stupid BMI
>> scale.
>>
>> Underweight, Ideal, Overweight, Obese, and Morbidly Obese (I think).

> I know Aussies are smart people so you must be the exception.

On behalf of the rest of the population your graciousness is
acknowledged.

Poor old Pete is a bit of a legend in his own lunch box
and recently got the bums rush out of a number technical
groups he tried his bullshit on .

But his style is all his own please don't judge Aussies
as a nation because of one individual .

Most of us are amazed that out of the millions of sperm
whatever fertilised the Lucas McGrath Williams egg
had little or no competition and still made it

For entertainment value the response from Pete MAY
be interesting. But I doubt it

See http://tinyurl.com/lkufsk
Or do a google groups PeterL foxtel IQ2 (How Ironic)
Auspay tv

> [...]
> http://www.annecollins.com/weight_he...-australia.htm
>

> Obesity is a complex and multifactorial disease. It is characterised
> by the excessive accumulation of adipose tissue to an extent that
> health is impaired.
> Obesity is a serious medical condition, associated with a wide range
> of chronic and life-threatening conditions and severe health
> complications. Health risks associated with obesity include diabetes,
> heart disease, high blood pressure and some cancers.
> Overweight and obesity in childhood and adolescence is associated with
> a wide variety of serious complications and health problems. The most
> significant long-term consequence of childhood obesity is its
> persistence into adulthood.
> In addition to a high-fat, high-energy diet and a lack of physical
> activity, there are a number of other factors that may give rise to
> weight gain.
> http://www.asso.org.au
>

> Fat stored around your middle can put you at risk for high blood
> pressure, high blood cholesterol, type-2 diabetes, heart disease and
> stroke. Almost 60% of Canadian adults are overweight or obese. Obese
> Canadians are four times as likely to have diabetes, more than 3 times
> as likely to have high blood pressure and more than two times more
> likely to have heart disease than those with a healthy weight.
> A modest weight reduction of as little as 5% of body weight can reduce
> your high blood pressure and total blood cholesterol. For example, if
> you weigh 150 lbs, 5% would equal about 7.5 pounds. (5% of 68 kg
> equals 3.4 kg). Simply weighing yourself is not the only way to
> determine your health risk. Studies have shown that extra weight
> around the waistline is more dangerous to the heart than extra weight
> that is on the hips and thighs.
> www.heartandstroke.ca
>

> Waist circumference measurement and body mass index (BMI) are the
> recommended ways to estimate body fat. A high-risk waistline is 35
> inches or higher for women, and 40 inches or higher for men.
> The body mass index formula assesses body weight relative to height.
> It's a useful, indirect measure of body composition, because in most
> people it correlates highly with body fat. Weight in kilograms is
> divided by height in meters squared (kg/m2). Or multiply weight in
> pounds by 703, divide by height in inches, then divide again by height
> in inches. In studies by the National Center for Health Statistics,
> BMI values less than 18.5 are considered underweight.
> BMI values from 18.5 to 24.9 are normal.
> Overweight is defined as a body mass index of 25.0 to less than 30.0
> (consistent with U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans). A BMI of
> about 25 kg/m2 corresponds to about 10 percent over ideal body weight.
>
> Obesity is defined as a BMI of 30.0 or greater (consistent with
> criteria of the World Health Organization), or about 30 pounds or more
> overweight. Extreme obesity is defined as a BMI of 40 or greater.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaich wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in news:7rr0m.926
> :
>
>> Unfortunately, it's wishful thinking but you can get a survey to prove
>> anything if you look hard enough :-)

> Like the one that proved that lard is good for you.

My whacko health food fanatic sort of sister in law has an interesting
perspective about the longevity of Europeans and their descendants. She
said that most records show the average life expectancy of people
through recorded history but pointed out that a lot of people never made
it through childhood and a lot of women died giving birth, but that once
people grew to adulthood and made it through the child rearing stage,
a lot of people lived very long lives.

My mother is buried one of the oldest church yards in this area. It is
in Niagara on the Lake, which was one of the original settlements in
this part of Canada. While visiting her grave I have wandered around the
cemetery and read the inscriptions on the grave markers and the dates
of birth and death reflect that notion. While there are a number of
people who died young, there are also a surprising number of people who
lived well into their 90s. These are people who had lived a yard life,
settling on forested land that had to be cleared. They had no
electricity or running water, had wood fireplaces, no real hospitals,
and the practise of medicine was certainly a lot more primitive than our
current health care. They didn't have fresh vegetables and ate a lot of
salted foods and a lot of lard. Those who didn't die of childhood
diseases, child birth, accidents etc. did seem to live long lives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:49:26 +0800, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:

Stu, you haven't been here long enough to have seen what the slug you are
replying to did to the newsgroup awhile back. It is a stalker and a troll.

It dragged several other of it's kind over into rfc and for some time they
infested the group with their bullshit.

It's the lowest form of life we have here. It has been proven (by me, and
several others) to be a complete fraud, liar, and con artist.

Do not fall for it's crap.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers
nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a
stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad
drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu > wrote in news:ght6455m0rfech2kaguj7qljr1rb4sd077
@4ax.com:

> Here's your proof, let me know if you dispute this, I'll supply more.
>

> Reports of an ‘obesity epidemic’ appear with increasing frequency and
> rising concern in Australia.
> http://www.aph.gov.au/library/INTGUIDE/sp/obesity.htm

"issued 5 October 2006"

The original post was about a study done in Canada and USA. Not Australia.

> The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Health and Ageing
> has reviewed the 2006-07 annual report of the Department of Health and
> Ageing and, pursuant to Standing Order 215(c), resolved to conduct an
> inquiry into obesity in Australia on 19 March 2008.

"conduct an inquiry into obesity in Australia on 19 March 2008."

> Obesity in Australia
> Recent studies show that 47% of women and 63% of men are overweight or
> obese. Australians are at the point where it is almost more "normal"
> to have a weight problem than not.
>
> Over the last decade as a nation we have continued to gain weight. If
> the current trend continues, it is estimated that by 2010, 70% of
> Australians will be above their healthy weight range.
> http://www.annecollins.com/weight_he...-australia.htm

The above is an advert for a weight loss scheme......

http://www.annecollins.com/weight_loss_diet.htm

so that one can be discounted out of hand.

> http://www.asso.org.au

That looks to be from 2008 sometime.

And the other sites you posted look to be about the same 'age'.

But I don't see anywhere any studies that have been done over 12 years, do
you?

"Boffins in Canada and America revealed the new findings following a study
of over 11,000 Canadians covering the last 12 years."

All your post has done, Stu, is prove that you can use Google to gather
old information.

Why are you so 'up in arms' about *new* information?

Here's a little more info on your supposed "fluff article".......

The study was funded by grants from the National Institute on Aging, the
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and the
Canadian Embassy in Washington D.C.

Authors include: Heather Orpana, PhD, Statistics Canada; JM Berthelot,
Canadian Institute for Health Information and McGill University; Mark
Kaplan, DrPH, Portland State University, David Feeny, PhD, Kaiser
Permanente Center for Health Research; Bentson H. McFarland, MD, PhD,
Oregon Health & Science University and Nancy Ross, PhD, McGill University.

Oh, and it seems this is the second such study to confirm what they found.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-uae062309.php

Look, if you want to stick your fingers in your ears and scream
"Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.......", that's your perogative.

As soon as you come up with *new* data to completely blow this latest
study out of the water, please feel free to post it.

Until then we'll agree to disagree.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu > wrote in
:

> Good God, a simple google search should done the deed. Most know you
> need a filter or you'll get line noise which will play havoc with your
> phones and data retrieval.

Exactly, which is what I said.

I used to have no end of problems quite awhiles back when I was living in
a place that had a septic system.

I had the phone company out looking for the cause as to why I couldn't use
my newly installed broadband.

After a couple of days, they traced it to a phone line going into the
septic system, that was used as some sort of alarm system. As soon as the
line was disconnected, I had my broadband back.

Then the septic guys reconnected the phone line while I was out one day,
and same problem. So I disconnected it, called them up and told them to
come out and put a filter on the line. Which they did, and there wasn't
anymore problems.

Now I have Foxtel, which has it's own phone line, so I made sure the tech
guy installed a filter on that.