Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is Americas NATIONAL food ?

Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 23, 8:51*am, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

It's a tossup between a hamburger and fried chicken. No sauce
involved. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is Americas NATIONAL food ? + recipe

In article >, Phil-c <invalid@invalid>
wrote:

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

I'll sit with aem (burgers or fried chicken) on this but also want to
lift up Minnesota's Official State Muffin:

MINNESOTA STATE MUFFIN: Blueberry; adopted 1988.
Statutory citation: Minn. Stat 1.1496
History:

1988 Minn. Laws Chap. 657 Sec. 1 (SF1686)
*
1.1496 State muffin.
The blueberry muffin is adopted as the official muffin of the state of
Minnesota.
HIST: 1988 c 657 s 1
Copyright 2002 by the Office of Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota.

Recipe
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour muffin pan (or use paper liners).

Beat together butter, eggs, salt, and sugar.
Mix flour with baking powder and sift into first mixture, alternating
with milk.
Blend in vanilla.
Add blueberries.
Pour into muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Phil-c <invalid@invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

> I'll sit with aem (burgers or fried chicken) on this but also want to
> lift up Minnesota's Official State Muffin:
>
> MINNESOTA STATE MUFFIN: Blueberry; adopted 1988.
> Statutory citation: Minn. Stat 1.1496
> History:
>
> 1988 Minn. Laws Chap. 657 Sec. 1 (SF1686)
>
> 1.1496 State muffin.
> The blueberry muffin is adopted as the official muffin of the state of
> Minnesota.
> HIST: 1988 c 657 s 1
> Copyright 2002 by the Office of Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota.
>
> Recipe
> 1/4 cup butter
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 c. sugar
> 2 c. flour
> 2 tsp. baking powder
> 1 tsp. vanilla
> 1/2 cup milk
> 2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
> Grease and flour muffin pan (or use paper liners).
>
> Beat together butter, eggs, salt, and sugar.
> Mix flour with baking powder and sift into first mixture, alternating
> with milk.
> Blend in vanilla.
> Add blueberries.
> Pour into muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes.

As the majority of this NG appears to come from the USA

to save time and posts from the 50+ states

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html#official

But *love* Blueberry muffins the recipe is now filed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phil-c" <invalid@invalid> wrote in message

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

Here you go http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html

State by state.

Dimitri

Alabama pecan pie, Dr. George Washington Carver's sweet potato recipes,
Patsy Riley's family recipes. More info here.
Alaska salmon, halibut, seafood & game recipes More info here.
Arizona chile con queso, tortillas & salsa. More info here.
Arkansas current favorites I. More info here
California style pizza, cobb salad, avocados, figs, walnuts & garlic. About
California Gold Rush foods. More info here.--see also: Monterey, Los Angeles
& San Francisco
Colorado Rocky Mountain rainbow trout. More info here.--see also: Denver
Connecticut nutmeg. More info here.--see also: Hartford
Delaware crab puffs. More info here.
District of Columbia Senate bean soup
Florida pompano, citrus fruits (recipes: orange juice) & Key lime pie.
History of Florida agriculture. More info here. See also: Miami
Georgia peaches, peanuts, pecans & Vidalia onions. More info here.
Hawaii Luaus, loco moco, pineapple, fresh fruit & Spam. More info here.
Idaho potatoes. More info here.
Illinois Native American foods (select group, economy, food), recipes. More
info here.--see also: Chicago & pork & beans [Van Camps], sugar cream pie,
Conner Prairie recipes. More info here.
Iowa Quaker Oats & loose meat sandwiches, traditional Dutch recipes More
info here.
Kansas wheat bread & Chicken fried steak. More info here.
Kentucky burgoo, Kentucky hot brown & Derby Pie, Chocolate gravy & Woodford
Pudding. More info here.
Louisiana jambalalya, gumbo, red beans & rice, king cake, pralines, Tabasco
sauce, popular recipes & Creole cuisine circa 1904. More info here.--see
also: New Orleans
Maine lobsters, potatoes, blueberries, beans & recipes. More info here.
Maryland crab cakes, beaten biscuits, & fried chicken. More info here.
Massachusetts clam chowder, cod cakes, graham crackers & cranberries,
Pilgrim Thanksgiving notes. More info here.--see also: Boston
Michigan cherries, mint, beans, UP Pasty More info here. --see also:
Mackinac Island & Battle Creek. More info here.
Minnesota wild rice, walleye, blueberries &! SPAM & Butter sculpture. More
info here.
Mississippi mud pie, pralines, pecan pie, cajun fried pecans, sweet potato
pie, sweet potato crunch, & shrimp. More info here.
Missouri Springfield-style cashew chicken, Ozark pudding, crayfish &
Frontier foods. More info here. See also: St. Louis & Kansas City
Montana buffalo burgers, Homesteader foodways (p. 31+). More info here.
Nebraska Kool-Aid, Nebraska products, beef [Omaha steaks], Runza sandwiches,
watermelon & Czech recipes from Wilbur. More info here.
Nevada Native American foods. . More info here.
New Hampshire corn chowder--see also: Portsmouth. More info here.
New Jersey
New Mexico biscochito (sugar cookies), roasted chilies & pistachios, recipes
& more recipes More info here.
New York apple muffins, Jell-O, salt potatoes, potato chips & spiedies. More
info here. --see also: Brooklyn, Buffalo, Long Island, New York City,
Thousand Islands
North Carolina Moravian cookies, sweet potatoes, Livermush & Native American
fare. More info here.
North Dakota perch, Cream of Wheat [1893], German heritage recipes. More
info here.
Ohio Early settler foods, Shaker lemon pie, Buckeye candy & tomato juice
(official state beverage). More info here.--see also: Cincinnati
Oklahoma State meal: fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits,
sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan
pie, and black-eyed peas. More info here.
Oregon hazelnuts, blackberries, marionberries, peppermint & Dungeness crab.
See also: Portland. More info here.
Pennsylvania shoofly pie, & scrapple, A.P. cookies, Lebanon bologna,
recipes.More info here.--see also: Philadelphia & Pittsburgh
Rhode Island johnnycakes [cornbread], coffee milk, cabinets, the New York
System & more! More info here.--see also: Providence
South Carolina rice & Frogmore stew. More info here.--see also: Charleston
South Dakota kuchen [coffeecake]. More info here.
Tennessee stack cake. More info here.
Texas barbeque, sweet onions, sheet cake, bbq & Pan de Campo. More info
here. see also: San Antonio
Utah honey, Utah scones, Greek immigrant fare & green Jell-O. More info
here.
Vermont cheddar cheese, common crackers & maple sugar candy. More info here.
Virginia ham & peanuts, colonial Virginia recipes. More info here.
Washington Dungeness crab & apples. More info here.
West Virginia Golden Delicious apples & apple butter. More info here.
Wisconsin Colby cheese, cranberry pie, recipes More info here....see also:
Milwaukee & Sheboygan
Wyoming beans (great northern, pinto, navy), jerky, Shoshone lamb & Army
bread at Ft. Laramie. More info here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 10:51*am, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

The U.S. is too big to have a single NATIONAL food, as you say.

Sorry.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 9:27*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Jun 23, 10:51*am, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
>
> > Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

> The U.S. is too big to have a single NATIONAL food, as you say.
>
> Sorry.
>
> N.

No it's not. Sloppy Joe's or Hot dogs...sheesh!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, invalid@invalid says...

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

Surely it is apple pie or variations of.
--
Carl Robson
Get cashback on your purchases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phil-c wrote:

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

Just off the top of my head i would think the traditional Thanksgiving
day dinner. Turkey, potatoes, corn all 'new world' foods. Even with
regional variations, yams & sweet potatoes in the south, tortillas in
the south west, various sea food additions in the north west & north
east, is still, never the less, distinctively American as roast beef is
English or pasta is Italian and frogs and snails French.

Im not sure if BBQ is an American invention (the social event yes, the
cooking probly not) but it would be on the list of possibilities,
however its tendency to be restricted, in the majority of its use, to a
specific segment of the American socio - economic class system does tend
to render it less than a nation wide phenomena.

I remember seeing an Australian t.v. commercial ( i forget what the
product was) but the punch line was the Queen of England ending up on
the 'barby' rather than having it prepared for her crown and all, as
some sort of indication that the English don't BBQ.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 00:24:17 +0800, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>As the majority of this NG appears to come from the USA
>
>to save time and posts from the 50+ states
>
>http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html#official
>

>But *love* Blueberry muffins the recipe is now filed

Interesting! Now I want to know where the recipe is hidden on the
site... and I also want that corn muffin recipe.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 10:29*am, Elder > wrote:
> In article >, invalid@invalid says...
>
> > Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

> Surely it is apple pie or variations of.
> --
> Carl Robson
> Get cashback on your purchases
> Topcashbackhttp://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/skraggy_uk/ref/index.htm
> Greasypalmhttp://www.greasypalm.co.uk/r/?l=1006553

I second the vote for apple pie. Even if it was influenced by foods
brought to the New World by immigrants, we have surely made it our
own.

Melissa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:16:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

Blueberry Muffins

>Recipe
>1/4 cup butter
>2 eggs
>1/2 tsp. salt
>1 c. sugar
>2 c. flour
>2 tsp. baking powder
>1 tsp. vanilla
>1/2 cup milk
>2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
>
>Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
>Grease and flour muffin pan (or use paper liners).
>
>Beat together butter, eggs, salt, and sugar.
>Mix flour with baking powder and sift into first mixture, alternating
>with milk.
>Blend in vanilla.
>Add blueberries.
>Pour into muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes.

Nobody can say that recipe isn't easy! Have you made it?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 12:10*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Jun 23, 9:27*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 23, 10:51*am, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:

> > > Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

> > The U.S. is too big to have a single NATIONAL food, as you say.

> > Sorry.

> > N.

> No it's not. Sloppy Joe's or Hot dogs...sheesh!

Sheesh your own self. To date, there are about 6 or 8 different
"nominations" for "national food."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'll sit with aem (burgers or fried chicken) on this but also want to
> lift up Minnesota's Official State Muffin:
>
> MINNESOTA STATE MUFFIN: Blueberry; adopted 1988.

> --
> -Barb

I thought Michigan was the state with the blueberries. In my life,
Minnesota is famous for lake fish ;-) Ummmmm, walleye....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Phil-c" <invalid@invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

> Here you go http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html
>

> State by state.
>
> Dimitri
>
> South Carolina rice & Frogmore stew. More info here.--see also: Charleston

Heh. I live in what used to be called Frogmore. (Actually, there is still
a small area here known as Frogmore). The cuisine of Charleston leans more
towards French than Gullah/Geechee.

Frogmore Stew consists of a boil of locally made sausages (you may
substitute spanish style chorizo or spicy Italian sausage), corn on the cob,
shrimp, small red potatoes and various herbs and spices. Some folks even
toss in some freshly caught blue crab. You'll need a bucket to toss the
shells and cobs into and plenty of napkins!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Phil-c" <invalid@invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

>> Here you go http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html
>>

>> State by state.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> South Carolina rice & Frogmore stew. More info here.--see also:
>> Charleston

> Heh. I live in what used to be called Frogmore. (Actually, there is
> still a small area here known as Frogmore). The cuisine of Charleston
> leans more towards French than Gullah/Geechee.
>
> Frogmore Stew consists of a boil of locally made sausages (you may
> substitute spanish style chorizo or spicy Italian sausage), corn on the
> cob, shrimp, small red potatoes and various herbs and spices. Some folks
> even toss in some freshly caught blue crab. You'll need a bucket to toss
> the shells and cobs into and plenty of napkins!
>
> Jill

YUM!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phil-c said...

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

Not a dish but if you trust the Livestock Slaughter Report figures, red meat
makes up the majority of the American diet.

With cheese or A1 or not, that's it, in some form.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phil-c wrote:

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

Hot dogs!

(Yes I have a fetish <g>)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> > I'll sit with aem (burgers or fried chicken) on this but also want to
> > lift up Minnesota's Official State Muffin:
> >
> > MINNESOTA STATE MUFFIN: Blueberry; adopted 1988.

> > --
> > -Barb

> I thought Michigan was the state with the blueberries. In my life,
> Minnesota is famous for lake fish ;-) Ummmmm, walleye....
>
> N.

Yes, of course. Walleye is our State Fish. Blueberry Muffins are our
State Muffin. Lester is our State Soil. Morel is our State Mushroom.
Sheesh! '-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> [...]

> South Carolina rice & Frogmore stew. More info here.--see also: Charleston
> South Dakota kuchen [coffeecake]. More info here.
> Tennessee stack cake. More info here.
> Texas barbeque, sweet onions, sheet cake, bbq & Pan de Campo. More info
> here. see also: San Antonio
> Utah honey, Utah scones, Greek immigrant fare & green Jell-O. More info
> here.
> Vermont cheddar cheese, common crackers & maple sugar candy. More info
> here.
> Virginia ham & peanuts, colonial Virginia recipes. More info here.
> Washington Dungeness crab & apples. More info here.
> West Virginia Golden Delicious apples & apple butter. More info here.
> Wisconsin Colby cheese, cranberry pie, recipes More info here....see also:
> Milwaukee & Sheboygan
> Wyoming beans (great northern, pinto, navy), jerky, Shoshone lamb & Army

What the hell happened to Indiana?

Member

Location: Bartonsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-c View Post
Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .
If not the hamburger, hot dog or apple pie, then the traditional turkey dinner....turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, sweat potatoes, candied yams, etc.

No official sites cited...just American tradition.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in
:

> "Phil-c" <invalid@invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

> Here you go http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html
>

> State by state.

You got sucked in by a troll.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers
nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a
stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad
drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> "Dimitri" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Phil-c" <invalid@invalid> wrote in message
>>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

>> Here you go http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html
>>

>> State by state.
>>

> You got sucked in by a troll.

Oh Oh! Here comes the stuff up fairy visiting again.
More proof that you have sunk to the lowest level
but continue to keep digging .

Tosser !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sugar, with fat and salt close behind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 12:35*pm, Shiral > wrote:

> Even if it was influenced by foods
> brought to the New World by immigrants, we have surely made it our
> own.

Wow, get out much? All American food is derivative, which with the
success of American Fusion shows to have been successful on the world
stage.

I take it as a tribute to our melting pot that no one dish can be
assigned as the one national food.

50 years ago you probably would have a different answer more along the
lines of the the traditional ones cited here, which I was raised on,
and now seem, well, not archaic, but not as relevent as before. Not as
unifying is probably a better description.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:51:36 +0800, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:

>Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

McDonalds?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 8:59*am, aem > wrote:
> On Jun 23, 8:51*am, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
>
> > Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

> It's a tossup between a hamburger and fried chicken. *No sauce
> involved. * *-aem

I would say that the Cheeseburger knocked the hamburger out of it's
lofty position at least 25 years ago.

and don't say it's the same thing, if it was it would be called a
hamburger w/ cheese.

STRATEGY

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:37:34 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I thought Michigan was the state with the blueberries.

It most certainly is... cherries too.
>In my life,
>Minnesota is famous for lake fish ;-) Ummmmm, walleye....

Minnesota is famous for subzero winter temperatures!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:25:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Morel is our State Mushroom.

You gave away a state secret. Now "everyone" will be hunting for
morels in Minnesota!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phil-c" <invalid@invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

If you ask the typical Italian, it is Torta di Mele.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" ha scritto nel messaggio > wrote:

> MINNESOTA STATE MUFFIN: Blueberry; adopted 1988.

Pickled beets precede muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MoonShadows wrote:
> Phil-c;1336140 Wrote:
>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

> If not the hamburger, hot dog or apple pie, then the traditional turkey
> dinner....turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, sweat potatoes,
> candied yams, etc.
>
> No official sites cited...just American tradition.
>
> Jim

Jim Soem academics appear to share your view re the Turkey .
Good call I was wondering when a Turkey would appear (apart from
one who gobbles on about trolls )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:51:36 +0800, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
>
>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .
>>

> McDonalds?

Take that person outside belt s/he with a limp celery stick then give a
good rub down with a brick .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 12:15 am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:37:34 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>
> > wrote:
> >I thought Michigan was the state with the blueberries.

> It most certainly is... cherries too.
>
> >In my life,
> >Minnesota is famous for lake fish ;-) Ummmmm, walleye....

> Minnesota is famous for subzero winter temperatures!

That, too - but I love winter! It is so much better than 95 degrees
in every way.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:51:36 +0800, Phil-c wrote:

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

offhand, i'd say the american national food is some variation of Too Much.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 10:51*am, Phil-c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

Catsup

Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 5:25*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > > I'll sit with aem (burgers or fried chicken) on this but also want to
> > > lift up Minnesota's Official State Muffin:

> > > MINNESOTA STATE MUFFIN: Blueberry; adopted 1988.

> > > --
> > > -Barb

> > I thought Michigan was the state with the blueberries. *In my life,
> > Minnesota is famous for lake fish ;-) *Ummmmm, walleye....

> > N.

> Yes, of course. *Walleye is our State Fish. *Blueberry Muffins are our
> State Muffin. *Lester is our State Soil. *Morel is our State Mushroom.. *
> Sheesh! *'-)
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- good news 4-6-2009
> "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
> -Philo of Alexandria

Yup yup yup. I knew that.

Lynn in Fargo
gotta state bird (Western Meadowlark)
state flower (Prairie Rose)
I forget the rock (some kinda flint) but I think the fossil is
Petrified Wood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:25:46 GMT, blake murphy
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:51:36 +0800, Phil-c wrote:
>
>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

>offhand, i'd say the american national food is some variation of Too Much.

Blake, we do agree on the above. Declarative statement: I'm a fairly
light eater. That said, I swear I'm getting some sort of eating
disorder, b/c menus often actually ruin my appetite. I can't tell you
the menus I've gone through trying to find something that suits that
isn't a) pasta or b) salad. I'm not keen on pasta or entree salads,
but often the rest of the menu(s) Is Just Too Much and actually puts
me off. Consequently, I usually order a side salad and an appetizer of
some sort as an entree. Maybe a bowl of soup.

What is also off-putting is when my smallish order is commented upon
by fellow diners and I feel the need to apologize.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:16:57 -0700, sf > fired up
random neurons and synapses to opine:

>On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:25:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>Morel is our State Mushroom.

>You gave away a state secret. Now "everyone" will be hunting for
>morels in Minnesota!

I didn't see Barb's original post, but ask her what the state bird is*
(see below)

* the mosquito.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:25:46 GMT, blake murphy
> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
> opine:
>
>>On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:51:36 +0800, Phil-c wrote:
>>
>>> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

>>offhand, i'd say the american national food is some variation of Too Much.

> Blake, we do agree on the above. Declarative statement: I'm a fairly
> light eater. That said, I swear I'm getting some sort of eating
> disorder, b/c menus often actually ruin my appetite. I can't tell you
> the menus I've gone through trying to find something that suits that
> isn't a) pasta or b) salad. I'm not keen on pasta or entree salads,
> but often the rest of the menu(s) Is Just Too Much and actually puts
> me off. Consequently, I usually order a side salad and an appetizer of
> some sort as an entree. Maybe a bowl of soup.
>
> What is also off-putting is when my smallish order is commented upon
> by fellow diners and I feel the need to apologize.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I was just going to say "Hot dog." I like them plain, in a steamed bun.