Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Transporting food to potlucks

Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

--

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.

....WC Fields
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

Small ice chests.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 1:14*pm, Steve > wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. *Any ideas? *Thanks!

I have one of those Anchor Hocking pyrex dishes with the tight fitting
plastic top. Fits into an insulated carrier with handles. I took a
hot dish to a party and it was still almost piping three hours later.
Worth the investment. The dish after all u cn stl use at home.

Great gift, by the way. Sooner or later, everyone's asked to bring a
dish. One dump in the car and ya learn ya neeeed one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray Ray is offline

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Jun 15, 1:14 pm, Steve > wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!
>

>I have one of those Anchor Hocking pyrex dishes with the tight fitting
>plastic top. Fits into an insulated carrier with handles. I took a
>hot dish to a party and it was still almost piping three hours later.
>Worth the investment. The dish after all u cn stl use at home.

>Great gift, by the way. Sooner or later, everyone's asked to bring a
>dish. One dump in the car and ya learn ya neeeed one.

I have a similar Pyrex set like that but it also came with a hot pack that
you microwave and insert into the carrier before you pack it all up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

Depends on what you're hauling and for how long. If you've made
something in a casserole dish with a lid, remove it from the oven where
it's been cooking, secure the lid and wrap the covered dish in several
thicknesses of newspaper and put it in a snug-fitting box and cover the
box with a heavy towel. That'll keep it hot for quite a while.

Soup? Bring something else instead. :-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

You can use a cooler. They are insulated and, while most commonly used
to keep things cold, can also be used to keep things hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 12:14*pm, Steve > wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. *Any ideas? *Thanks!

build a campfire in your trunk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!
>

> --
>
> Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on
> people.
>
> ...WC Fields

Take your normal cooking container:

Crock Pot
Dutch Oven
Casserole.
Whatever

Place it in a cardboard box LINED WITH NEWSPAPER.
Place a lid on the box or close the flaps.

Newspaper is an amazing insulator.

Not only that - it's not too expensive.

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve > wrote:
>
>> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
>> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

> Depends on what you're hauling and for how long. If you've made
> something in a casserole dish with a lid, remove it from the oven where
> it's been cooking, secure the lid and wrap the covered dish in several
> thicknesses of newspaper and put it in a snug-fitting box and cover the
> box with a heavy towel. That'll keep it hot for quite a while.
>
> Soup? Bring something else instead. :-)

Took soup to a potluck dinner once in an enamelware thunder mug. Had
bought it new at the hardware store just for that purpose. Some folks
actually turned a little green when they saw it. I reckon younger people
today wouldn't even know what it was. At any rate the soup was a hit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
>> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

> You can use a cooler. They are insulated and, while most commonly used to
> keep things cold, can also be used to keep things hot.

How does it know the difference?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 12:14*pm, Steve > wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. *Any ideas? *Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
>
> ...WC Fields

Cheapo styrofoam cooler - works for hot things, too - come in all
sizes.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

If you are driving, a picnic cooler will keep foods hot or cold.
For cold, obviously pack with ice or those blue ice thingies.

To keep something hot, wrap the container well with towels.
place in container on layers of newspaper (so you don't melt
the plastic liner of the cooler) and pack around with crumpled
newspaper

For containers, pyrex bakeware with the snap-on lids or Corning
casseroles work well or you could place the cooking vessel in the
"cooler" and carry a serving dish separately.

If you don't have access to an insulated cooler, a big roasting pan
will work nearly as well. Just make sure whatever you use is
packed with some kind of stabilizer so the casserole/bowl/etc. doesn't
slosh around.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> Steve wrote:
>>> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
>>> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

>> You can use a cooler. They are insulated and, while most commonly used to
>> keep things cold, can also be used to keep things hot.

> How does it know the difference?

They're all female, they swing hot n' cold... but mostly cold, that's why
they're called coolers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

A car. Bicycle if it's not too far.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:12:16 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>How does it know the difference?

Kinda like my Cuban neighbor's dog that doesn't understand my
English...but comprehends perfect Spanish.

go figure....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Took soup to a potluck dinner once in an enamelware thunder mug. Had
> bought it new at the hardware store just for that purpose. Some folks
> actually turned a little green when they saw it. I reckon younger people
> today wouldn't even know what it was. At any rate the soup was a hit.

Was it pea soup?

;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:
> Took soup to a potluck dinner once in an enamelware thunder mug. Had
> bought it new at the hardware store just for that purpose. Some folks
> actually turned a little green when they saw it. I reckon younger people
> today wouldn't even know what it was. At any rate the soup was a hit.

Now that's just disgusting, Jorge. My late BIL gave me a teflon-lined
one for a wedding gift in 1966‹teflon was just becoming "the new thing."
I still have it. Wouldn't part with it for most anything. :-) It's
never been used‹‹for anything.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Took soup to a potluck dinner once in an enamelware thunder mug. Had
>> bought it new at the hardware store just for that purpose. Some folks
>> actually turned a little green when they saw it. I reckon younger
>> people today wouldn't even know what it was. At any rate the soup was
>> a hit.

> Was it pea soup?
>
> ;-)
>
> gloria p

Wish I had thought to make it with yellow peas. Nope, it was a beef and
vegetable stew. My youngest thought it looked like vomit but I didn't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>> Took soup to a potluck dinner once in an enamelware thunder mug. Had
>> bought it new at the hardware store just for that purpose. Some folks
>> actually turned a little green when they saw it. I reckon younger people
>> today wouldn't even know what it was. At any rate the soup was a hit.

> Now that's just disgusting, Jorge. My late BIL gave me a teflon-lined
> one for a wedding gift in 1966‹teflon was just becoming "the new thing."
> I still have it. Wouldn't part with it for most anything. :-) It's
> never been used‹‹for anything.

Well, now you have a use for it. TAke it to a church dinner sometime.
Bet the folks there would get a hoot out of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

A Cambro. Google is your friend

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 1:14*pm, Steve > wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. *Any ideas? *Thanks!

At times, I've also made a dish in a crockpot, unplugged and
immediately schlepped it to the venue. Stayed hot a long time without
power to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:53:09 -0500, George Shirley wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Steve > wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
>>> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

>> Depends on what you're hauling and for how long. If you've made
>> something in a casserole dish with a lid, remove it from the oven where
>> it's been cooking, secure the lid and wrap the covered dish in several
>> thicknesses of newspaper and put it in a snug-fitting box and cover the
>> box with a heavy towel. That'll keep it hot for quite a while.
>>
>> Soup? Bring something else instead. :-)
>>

> Took soup to a potluck dinner once in an enamelware thunder mug. Had
> bought it new at the hardware store just for that purpose. Some folks
> actually turned a little green when they saw it. I reckon younger people
> today wouldn't even know what it was. At any rate the soup was a hit.

o.k., you made me google 'thunder mug.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

It depends on the dish, but odds are, Target will have what you need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:
> Looking for carriers or containers to transport hot dishes to potluck
> dinners. Any ideas? Thanks!

I use a wicker basket I found at Goodwill, with the handle cut off to
cut down on klutzes tipping it over. I cover with foil and then a heavy
towel.

blacksalt