Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default US steak houses, wet aging v. dry aging.

A show on last night (Travel Channel) about iconic steak house in America
and which one wet ages and which one dry ages.

After watching it, I think I prefer wet aging. It's actually what I do
here at home, so I know it's 'ok'. The dry aging...... well, lets just say
it doesn't look nice :-)

A wet ager is Gene and Georgettis, and a dry ager is Prime House, both in
Chichago.

http://www.geneandgeorgetti.com/

The Prime House was rather different in that it had a 'salt wall' in their
drying room. Blocks of pink salt said to be 500,000 years old. Supposed to
impart some sort of flavouring on the meat.

http://www.davidburke.com/restaurant_primehouse.html

Other 'notable' mentions were The Palm in NY, Lawrys Prime Rib in LA, and
The Grill House in Michigan (along with it's resident ghost, Jack!!)

http://www.grillhouse.net/

http://www.lawrysonline.com/theprime...s_gen_info.asp

(They still employ the same waiters and waitresses that have been there
for 40 years!!

http://www.thepalm.com/

I wasn't overly fussed on the look of Lawry's Prime Rib.

I like my meat to be seared on both sides and pink in the middle.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL > wrote:

> A show on last night (Travel Channel) about iconic steak
> house in America and which one wet ages and which one dry ages.

> After watching it, I think I prefer wet aging. It's
> actually what I do here at home, so I know it's 'ok'. The dry
> aging...... well, lets just say it doesn't look nice :-)

You certainly have to waste a lot of the beef if it's been
dry-aged a long time. Once it's trimmed, there should be only a
very faint "rotten meat" smell to what's left.

> A wet ager is Gene and Georgettis

I'm curious to understand the advantages if any of "wet aging".

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

> The Prime House was rather different in that it had a 'salt wall' in their
> drying room. Blocks of pink salt said to be 500,000 years old. Supposed to
> impart some sort of flavouring on the meat.

The salt blocks are more likely to be on the order of several hundred
million years old - you're about a 1000X off. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 03:14:21 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> I'm curious to understand the advantages if any of "wet aging".

http://www.goodcooking.com/steak/aging/aging.htm

Some sort of aging is necessary. You'd never want to plug a bolt in
the head of cow and start cooking it right away unless you're
braising it for a long time.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 03:14:21 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> I'm curious to understand the advantages if any of "wet aging".

>http://www.goodcooking.com/steak/aging/aging.htm

>Some sort of aging is necessary. You'd never want to plug a bolt in
>the head of cow and start cooking it right away unless you're
>braising it for a long time.

Yeah, for sure; what seems wrong though is any sort of claim
that so-called "wet aging" is superior to, or equal to, dry aging.

In the U.S. beef that is not dry aged could be said to be
"wet aged" for usually four to seven days, but that's not
really "aging", it's just verbiage for the minimal processing
necessary to get beef that's not like jello. (I disagree
with your link that the beef becomes more tender. Totally
fresh meat will have this awful texture where it sort of
wobbles and that's primarily what you're getting rid of in that
four-day interval. Maybe it becomes slightly more tender
as well, but not remotely in the manner of dry-aging.)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:43:34 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 03:14:21 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>>> I'm curious to understand the advantages if any of "wet aging".

http://www.goodcooking.com/steak/aging/aging.htm

>In the U.S. beef that is not dry aged could be said to be
>"wet aged" for usually four to seven days, but that's not
>really "aging", it's just verbiage for the minimal processing
>necessary to get beef that's not like jello. (I disagree
>with your link that the beef becomes more tender. Totally
>fresh meat will have this awful texture where it sort of
>wobbles and that's primarily what you're getting rid of in that
>four-day interval. Maybe it becomes slightly more tender
>as well, but not remotely in the manner of dry-aging.)

Have to agree. SWMBO is a ranch girl, and ate yearling
calf for years before she understood how close it was to
veal. She called it "baby beef".

About 6 mos ago, we splurged and went for some custom
cut Angus, intending to experiment with it. We're both
familiar with this particular cut of Angus so there were to be
no surprises. I wrapped in cheesecloth and put it into a
compact fridge at 42 d for a week. Then I grilled it on
black iron. It was wonderful, and better than any I've ever
tasted out of my kitchen.

Alex, a believer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:

> About 6 mos ago, we splurged and went for some custom
> cut Angus, intending to experiment with it. We're both
> familiar with this particular cut of Angus so there were to be
> no surprises. I wrapped in cheesecloth and put it into a
> compact fridge at 42 d for a week. Then I grilled it on
> black iron. It was wonderful, and better than any I've ever
> tasted out of my kitchen.

It's a good idea to leave steaks unwrapped in your fridge until the meat
surface gets a ugly dried-out appearance. This will allow you to fry up
a beautiful, appealing steak. Don't overdo it though...

> Alex, a believer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL said...

> A show on last night (Travel Channel) about iconic steak house in America
> and which one wet ages and which one dry ages.
>
> After watching it, I think I prefer wet aging. It's actually what I do
> here at home, so I know it's 'ok'. The dry aging...... well, lets just

say
> it doesn't look nice :-)

The show is

"Food Paradise: Steak Paradise"
OR
"Food Paradise: Steak Paradise, Second Helping"

I've seen both. The programs are repeated once or twice a month.

If I could afford dry aged meat, that's all I'd eat.

It's nice to see the voted **** steakhouses showcased on the shows but, I
want to imagine that there must be one better than them all just down the
street home!

Meanwhile, I leave my steaks in the package in the fridge to up until the
green slime, then salt and pepper and grill rare.

The best!

Andy
--
"I only know what I read. NOT what I'm talking about!"
--Andy

Drybag Steak Aging sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 01-07-2011 06:48 AM
dry aging steak at home [email protected] Barbecue 3 24-04-2009 07:20 PM
Aging In Bulk Vs Aging In Bottle jim Winemaking 12 04-09-2007 10:42 PM
Aging Unknown Winemaking 9 29-04-2006 09:15 PM
Pu Erh aging Antoine C. Tea 0 07-01-2005 11:24 AM