Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sushi fixings (without raw fish)

Looking for ideas...

I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
with it. He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
eggs. Morgan just turned 4.

Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> He was ok with that.
Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
from time to time. ;-d

Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.

I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
and slice it into 1" bits.

Should not be too hard.

Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.

And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news | Looking for ideas...

| I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
| can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
| with it. He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
| eggs. Morgan just turned 4.
|
| Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
| the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> He was ok with that.
| Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
| Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
| from time to time. ;-d
|
| Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
| use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
| meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
| lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
| strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.
|
| I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
| I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
| mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
| Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
| and slice it into 1" bits.
|
| Should not be too hard.
|
| Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
|
| And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>

Please don't forget the omelet <g>, many salads (ham, chicken, tuna,
shrimp, etc) inside a piece of nori with rice below for stability; they
and you should have a great time.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> Looking for ideas...
>
> I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
> can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
> with it. He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
> eggs. Morgan just turned 4.
>
> Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
> the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> He was ok with that.
> Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
> Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
> from time to time. ;-d
>
> Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
> use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
> meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
> lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
> strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.
>
> I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
> I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
> mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
> Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
> and slice it into 1" bits.
>
> Should not be too hard.
>
> Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
>
> And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>

California roll is everyone's favorite. All you need is fake crab,
cucumber, pickled ginger and fresh ripe avacado. Lots of YouTube videos to
show you how.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 17:38:51 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>Looking for ideas...
>
>I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
>can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
>with it. He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
>eggs. Morgan just turned 4.

Make sure you use the actual sushi rice

>Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
>the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> He was ok with that.
>Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
>Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
>from time to time. ;-d
>
>Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
>use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
>meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
>lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
>strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.
>
>I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
>I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
>mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
>Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
>and slice it into 1" bits.
>
>Should not be too hard.
>
>Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
>
>And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cucumber
Spam musubi

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Should not be too hard.
>
> Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
>
> And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>

Most kids like Philadelphia Rolls; cream cheese, salmon, cucumber. My
sushi is not the greatest, but I do okay. I lay plastic wrap across a
bamboo(?) mat, then I begin making the roll. The mat helps me when I
roll the sushi.

Have fun with your nephews. :-P

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:38*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> Looking for ideas...
>
> I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
> can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
> with it. *He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
> eggs. Morgan just turned 4.
>
> Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
> the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> *He was ok with that.
> Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
> Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
> from time to time. ;-d

Chicken feet, as I recently posted, are a waste of time and money.

> Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
> use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
> meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon),

Cooked chicken or beef don't belong, though raw beef might be OK.

> avocado slices,

Avocado is always a good choice.

> lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
> strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.

Go vegetarian, though the caviar in tiny amounts could be nice. The
bok choy could be a real turnoff for some folks.

> I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
> I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
> mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
> Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
> and slice it into 1" bits.

I don't like nori, but that's just me.

> Should not be too hard.
>
> Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.

I'd feel safe eating non-sashimi grade salmon in the tiny amounts you
use in sushi.

> And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Looking for ideas...
>
> I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
> can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
> with it. He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
> eggs. Morgan just turned 4.
>
> Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
> the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> He was ok with that.
> Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
> Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
> from time to time. ;-d
>
> Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
> use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
> meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
> lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
> strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.
>
> I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
> I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
> mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
> Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
> and slice it into 1" bits.
>
> Should not be too hard.
>
> Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
>
> And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>

I am not a fish eater, but I do like veggie sushi. I like avocado,
cucumber, carrot, maybe sprouts, egg - make a really thin omelet and
julienne it, um, beets? <hiding>

My SIL offers pickled cucumber.

I think you could use anything julienned....

I prefer them inside out. The fishiness of the nori is less pronounced,
at least in my opinion.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Looking for ideas...
>
> I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
> can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
> with it. He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
> eggs. Morgan just turned 4.
>
> Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
> the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> He was ok with that.
> Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
> Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
> from time to time. ;-d
>
> Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
> use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
> meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
> lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
> strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.
>
> I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
> I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
> mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
> Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
> and slice it into 1" bits.
>
> Should not be too hard.
>
> Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
>
> And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>

Lots of possibilities. In addition to the usual stuff I have used
asparagus and salmon, green beans, mushrooms and scallion strips.

Making the rice is probably the most important step. Also use less than
you think you need when assembling.

You usually don't refrigerate it. To slice just cut in half, stack the
pieces and cut into thirds or fourths.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Looking for ideas...
>
> I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
> can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
> with it. He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
> eggs. Morgan just turned 4.
>
> Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
> the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> He was ok with that.
> Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
> Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
> from time to time. ;-d
>
> Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
> use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
> meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
> lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
> strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.
>
> I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
> I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
> mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
> Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
> and slice it into 1" bits.
>
> Should not be too hard.
>
> Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
>
> And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>

Make the sushi rice and add chopped ingredients to it, or lay it on top.
Looks nice and easier than the rolled sort.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Looking for ideas...
>
> I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
> can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
> with it. He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
> eggs. Morgan just turned 4.
>
> Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
> the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> He was ok with that.
> Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
> Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
> from time to time. ;-d
>
> Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
> use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
> meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
> lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
> strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.
>
> I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
> I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
> mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
> Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
> and slice it into 1" bits.
>
> Should not be too hard.
>
> Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
>
> And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>

My daughter likes to stuff onigiri with lemon pepper tuna, which
comes in those foil packs. That goes surprisingly well with
prepared sushi rice, although I gather it is the norm to use
unseasoned sushi rice. I'm sure the kids would have fun doing
that--esp. squishing the rice into balls or forming triangles.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 6:38*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> Looking for ideas...
>
> I plan to purchase some Sushi stuff so next time the nephews visit, I
> can get at least the older one (Dyson will be 6 on July 10th) to help me
> with it. *He was remarkably coordinated making the onion skin easter
> eggs. Morgan just turned 4.
>
> Morgan the younger broke 4 eggs and I finally just asked him to hand me
> the skins so I could wrap instead. <g> *He was ok with that.
> Both of the boys love sushi thanks to their parents eclectic tastes.
> Sis' is also teaching them to eat chicken feet since I'll give her some
> from time to time. ;-d
>
> Anyway, I really don't have access to sashimi grade fish here so plan to
> use things like cooked shrimp, cooked crab meat, strips of other cooked
> meat, (chicken, beef or fish, maybe some salmon), avocado slices,
> lengthwise slices of cooked carrots, lightly steamed choy cut into
> strips, etc. Maybe some red lumpfish caviar in small amounts.
>
> I've never actually made it but I used to watch mom and dad make it when
> I was younger and it does not look too hard. Place the Nori on the sushi
> mats, layer the rice on top and put the center stuffing on one side.
> Roll up, seal the nori with a little water like making won tons, chill
> and slice it into 1" bits.
>
> Should not be too hard.
>
> Looking for other stuffing/ingredient ideas.
>
> And yes, I have squid in the freezer. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
> It's about learning to dance in the rain.
> -- Anon.
>

> Subscribe:

Om If you WANT sushi grade fish try Catalina offshore Products. They
have it at reasonable prices and several different fish.
Nan in DE

sushi grade fish Julia Altshuler General Cooking 22 24-02-2008 05:10 PM
Sushi is not just Fish and Rice Musashi Sushi 4 06-01-2007 02:56 AM
Trader Vic's mai tai fixings General 1 11-08-2005 11:19 PM
where can I buy sushi fish in Washington, DC? matt k Sushi 0 06-10-2004 10:42 PM
More fish for sushi? SRDas Sushi 29 23-08-2004 03:54 AM