FoodBanter.com

-   -   Need help muy pronto: Using arrowroot instead of flour or cornstarch thickener in a rhubarb pie (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/173320-need-help-muy-pronto.html)

Melba's Jammin' 09-06-2009 05:41 PM

Need help muy pronto: Using arrowroot instead of flour or cornstarch thickener in a rhubarb pie

How do I swap out the flour with arrowroot instead?

If you're inclined to email me, put a dot between my firstandlastnames
to bypass Earthlink's spam filter‹it'll speed things up.

Gloria's pie sounded good and I've got rhubarb to be picked.

Pie crust is ready to be divided and chilled. I'll be researching
other sources, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Omelet[_7_] 09-06-2009 06:34 PM

Need help muy pronto: Using arrowroot instead of flour or cornstarch thickener in a rhubarb pie

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> How do I swap out the flour with arrowroot instead?
>
> If you're inclined to email me, put a dot between my firstandlastnames
> to bypass Earthlink's spam filter‹it'll speed things up.
>
> Gloria's pie sounded good and I've got rhubarb to be picked.
>
> Pie crust is ready to be divided and chilled. I'll be researching
> other sources, too.

Treat Arrowroot like you would corn starch.
It does not act the same as flour. :-)

And yes, I use it frequently.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Puester[_2_] 09-06-2009 06:38 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> How do I swap out the flour with arrowroot instead?
>
> If you're inclined to email me, put a dot between my firstandlastnames
> to bypass Earthlink's spam filter‹it'll speed things up.
>
> Gloria's pie sounded good and I've got rhubarb to be picked.
>
> Pie crust is ready to be divided and chilled. I'll be researching
> other sources, too.

I googled "arrowroot substitution" and got Cook's
Thesaurus's version:

arrowroot starch = arrowroot powder = arrowroot =
arrowroot flour This starch thickener has several
advantages over cornstarch. It has a more neutral flavor,
so it's a good thickener for delicately flavored sauces. It
also works at a lower temperature, and tolerates acidic
ingredients and prolonged cooking better. And while sauces
thickened with cornstarch turn into a spongy mess if they're
frozen, those made with arrowroot can be frozen and thawed
with impunity. The downside is that arrowroot is pricier
than cornstarch, and it's not a good thickener for
dairy-based sauces, since it turns them slimy.
Arrowroot also imparts a shiny gloss to foods, and while it
can make a dessert sauce glow spectacularly, it can make a
meat sauce look eerie and fake. To thicken with arrowroot,
mix it with an equal amount of cold water, then whisk the
slurry into a hot liquid for about 30 seconds. Look for it
in Asian markets and health food stores. Equivalents: One
tablespoon thickens one cup of liquid. Substitutes:
tapioca starch (very similar) OR Instant ClearJel® OR
cornstarch (Cornstarch doesn't impart as glossy a finish and
can leave a starchy taste if undercooked.) OR kudzu powder
OR potato starch OR rice starch OR flour (Flour makes an
opaque sauce, imparts a floury taste, and can easily turn
lumpy. Use twice as much flour as arrowroot.)
gp

Melba's Jammin' 09-06-2009 10:41 PM

Puester > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > How do I swap out the flour with arrowroot instead?

> I googled "arrowroot substitution" and got Cook's
> Thesaurus's version:

(snip)

Yes, I found that, too. Thanks. I used flour and some arrowroot just
for the heck of it. Finished pie is pictured on alt.binaries.food.
It's gawgeous. More pics will follow.

merryb 10-06-2009 12:07 AM

On Jun 9, 9:41Â*am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> How do I swap out the flour with arrowroot instead?
>
> If you're inclined to email me, put a dot between my firstandlastnames
> to bypass Earthlink's spam filter€¹it'll speed things up.
>
> Gloria's pie sounded good and I've got rhubarb to be picked.
>
> Pie crust is ready to be divided and chilled. Â* I'll be researching
> other sources, too.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- good news 4-6-2009
> "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
> -Philo of Alexandria

Have you ever tried tapioca? Works very well if you have it!!

merryb 10-06-2009 12:07 AM

On Jun 9, 2:41*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Puester > wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > > How do I swap out the flour with arrowroot instead?

> > I googled "arrowroot substitution" and got Cook's
> > Thesaurus's version:

> (snip)
>
> Yes, I found that, too. *Thanks. *I used flour and some arrowroot just
> for the heck of it. *Finished pie is pictured on alt.binaries.food. *
> It's gawgeous. * *More pics will follow.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- good news 4-6-2009
> "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
> -Philo of Alexandria

Never mind!

Melba's Jammin' 10-06-2009 01:33 AM

Need help muy pronto: Using arrowroot instead of flour or cornstarch thickener in a rhubarb pie

In article
Merryb > wrote:

> On Jun 9, 9:41Â*am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > How do I swap out the flour with arrowroot instead?

> Have you ever tried tapioca? Works very well if you have it!!

I don't keep it around.