FoodBanter.com

-   -   Beef Prices (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1732-beef-prices.html)

Mr. Wizard 02-11-2003 02:52 PM

Beef Prices

Just in case you haven't noticed that beef
prices are rising, the wholesale prices quoted
to me Thursday for my November deliveries
are 30%-60% higher than the previous
record highs this summer. After the first of
the year they expect the prices to rise again.
Hamburger will probably go to $4-$5 a pound.
If anyone in your area is selling cheap roasts
steaks or briskets go stock up on them now
and fill your freezer.

MW

Jack Schidt® 02-11-2003 03:22 PM

Beef Prices

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
> Just in case you haven't noticed that beef
> prices are rising, the wholesale prices quoted
> to me Thursday for my November deliveries
> are 30%-60% higher than the previous
> record highs this summer. After the first of
> the year they expect the prices to rise again.
> Hamburger will probably go to $4-$5 a pound.
> If anyone in your area is selling cheap roasts
> steaks or briskets go stock up on them now
> and fill your freezer.
>
> MW

Thanks for the heads up. IIRC, this is due to the serious drought
conditions in 'ranch-land' last year.

Jack Tooter

Bob Westcott 02-11-2003 03:51 PM

Beef Prices

Its more due to the lack of imported beef from Canada. The USA has never
produced enough beef on its own and with the BSE scare, the USA agribusiness
consortiums have done a great job on getting the border closed and getting
prices pushed up. Of course, the people that actually raise the animals
won't see any of the extra money, but the middle men (IBP,etc) are loving
it.

Bob - eating Alberta beef and loving every bite.... and just received a side
@ 1.59/lb Canadian.....

. com...

Gerald I. evenden 02-11-2003 03:52 PM

Beef Prices

The best idea is don't buy beef. Eat more poultry, pork,
lamb (or mutton), farm raised fish.

Or be a vegie.

Fudge 02-11-2003 04:12 PM

Beef Prices

And in Canada, beef is priced high as usual even though farmers are
getting next to nothing for beef animals. Some farmers are shooting newborn
calfs and throwing them in the manure pile. So much for "Supply Management".

Farmer John

Reg 02-11-2003 05:32 PM

Beef Prices

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up. IIRC, this is due to the serious drought
> conditions in 'ranch-land' last year.

On the bright side, it looks like the US will start easing import
restrictions on Canadian beef early next year. This should help
ease the shortage somewhat and help bring prices back down.

Fingers crossed.

Bob Pastorio 02-11-2003 05:55 PM

Beef Prices

Mr. Wizard wrote:

> Just in case you haven't noticed that beef
> prices are rising, the wholesale prices quoted
> to me Thursday for my November deliveries
> are 30%-60% higher than the previous
> record highs this summer. After the first of
> the year they expect the prices to rise again.
> Hamburger will probably go to $4-$5 a pound.
> If anyone in your area is selling cheap roasts
> steaks or briskets go stock up on them now
> and fill your freezer.

Beef producers around here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia are
happy about the prices they're getting. They're seeing nearly double
what they got last year this time. They attribute it to the US not
importing Canadian beef because of the BSE scare. One ag type in a
radio interview on the station my program is on said they were
expecting a 2 billion pound shortfall. Billion?

Ironically, the BSE business has prompted increased US beef exports to
countries that don't want even the hint of BSE-tainted meat.

Looks like pork, chicken and lamb will be the featured dinner specials
at Chez Pastorio for the foreseeable future. Lots of veggies, too. Go
to the peasant approach where beef is a flavoring agent rather than
center plate item.

Steak houses are going to have a tough time of it (no pun intended)
with these prices. Betcha we see a burst of menu creativity coming up.

Pastorio

SportKite1 03-11-2003 12:13 AM

Beef Prices

>From: "Mr. Wizard"

>Just in case you haven't noticed that beef
>prices are rising, the wholesale prices quoted
>to me Thursday for my November deliveries
>are 30%-60% higher than the previous
>record highs this summer. After the first of
>the year they expect the prices to rise again.
>Hamburger will probably go to $4-$5 a pound.
>If anyone in your area is selling cheap roasts
>steaks or briskets go stock up on them now
>and fill your freezer.

Hmmm...and I naively believed the Beef prices were going up due to the
popularity of the Atkins Diet.

Hmmm...wonder how the potato, wheat and rice markets are fairing.

Ellen

alzelt 03-11-2003 04:07 AM

Beef Prices

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> "Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
>
>>Just in case you haven't noticed that beef
>>prices are rising, the wholesale prices quoted
>>to me Thursday for my November deliveries
>>are 30%-60% higher than the previous
>>record highs this summer. After the first of
>>the year they expect the prices to rise again.
>>Hamburger will probably go to $4-$5 a pound.
>>If anyone in your area is selling cheap roasts
>>steaks or briskets go stock up on them now
>>and fill your freezer.
>>
>>MW
>>

> Thanks for the heads up. IIRC, this is due to the serious drought
> conditions in 'ranch-land' last year.
>
> Jack Tooter

Not to mention a case of MC from Alberta that freaked out North America.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Miche 03-11-2003 07:24 AM

Beef Prices

In article >,
(SportKite1) wrote:

> >From: "Mr. Wizard"

> >Just in case you haven't noticed that beef
> >prices are rising, the wholesale prices quoted
> >to me Thursday for my November deliveries
> >are 30%-60% higher than the previous
> >record highs this summer. After the first of
> >the year they expect the prices to rise again.
> >Hamburger will probably go to $4-$5 a pound.
> >If anyone in your area is selling cheap roasts
> >steaks or briskets go stock up on them now
> >and fill your freezer.

> Hmmm...and I naively believed the Beef prices were going up due to the
> popularity of the Atkins Diet.
>
> Hmmm...wonder how the potato, wheat and rice markets are fairing.

The wheat market isn't getting a dime from me -- I discovered earlier
this year that I can't eat wheat. It makes me sick.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Jack Schidt® 03-11-2003 09:32 AM

Beef Prices

"alzelt" > wrote in message

> Not to mention a case of MC from Alberta that freaked out North America.
> --

Wasn't he installed as president?

Jack Shrubbery

Hoges in WA 03-11-2003 02:30 PM

Beef Prices

..
"Bob Westcott" > wrote in message
> Its more due to the lack of imported beef from Canada. The USA has never
> produced enough beef on its own and with the BSE scare, the USA

agribusiness
> consortiums have done a great job on getting the border closed and getting
> prices pushed up. Of course, the people that actually raise the animals
> won't see any of the extra money, but the middle men (IBP,etc) are loving
> it.
>
> Bob - eating Alberta beef and loving every bite.... and just received a

side
> @ 1.59/lb Canadian.....

Just got a side on Saturday. 102kg = 224lb @ $AUD5.20 = $US3.60. Don't
know the exchange rate for Canada.

Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds

Tim Challenger 03-11-2003 02:53 PM

Beef Prices

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:55:25 -0500, Bob Pastorio wrote:

> Ironically, the BSE business has prompted increased US beef exports to
> countries that don't want even the hint of BSE-tainted meat.

Unfortunately, what with the last prosecution of a US company "creatively
mixing" foodstuffs, it may not last.
(I can't find the article online that I read, otherwise I'd post a link)

But then again, as the US hardly does any BSE testing, it's unlikely to
find any.
http://www.newscientist.com/hottopic...sp?id=23970300

"we don't have it, so why should we look?"
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Bob Westcott 03-11-2003 02:54 PM

Beef Prices

The side I picked up was 370lbs (170kg), aged 28 days and about $1.20
US/lb... and it is very nice beef......

Bob

Foghorn 03-11-2003 06:31 PM

Beef Prices

In ,
Mr. Wizard > typed:
> Just in case you haven't noticed that beef
> prices are rising, the wholesale prices quoted
> to me Thursday for my November deliveries
> are 30%-60% higher than the previous
> record highs this summer. After the first of
> the year they expect the prices to rise again.
> Hamburger will probably go to $4-$5 a pound.
> If anyone in your area is selling cheap roasts
> steaks or briskets go stock up on them now
> and fill your freezer.
>
> MW

Important Consumer Information

Why are the beef prices so high right now?

Strong sales at supermarkets and restaurants this summer are a major reason that
prices are so high. As the economy recovers, consumers are dining out more.
Also, they are willing to treat themselves to more expensive menu items, such as
steaks, when they eat out or eat at home.
While strong consumer demand has helped push up beef prices, other factors have
also contributed.

In May, the United States banned imports of Canadian beef and cattle because of
a case of mad cow disease there. That ban caused a marginal reduction in the
beef supply here.

Top beef buyers Japan and South Korea, also banned Canadian beef and bought more
U.S. beef.

As a result, U.S. beef supplies became tight and prices went up. Wholesale beef
prices are again approaching record levels, after setting a record earlier this
summer.

Prices should be declining shortly, but high prices will prevail through the
holiday season and decline again early in 2004.

Sam D. 03-11-2003 07:50 PM

Beef Prices

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
> Just in case you haven't noticed that beef
> prices are rising, the wholesale prices quoted
> to me Thursday for my November deliveries
> are 30%-60% higher than the previous
> record highs this summer. After the first of
> the year they expect the prices to rise again.
> Hamburger will probably go to $4-$5 a pound.
> If anyone in your area is selling cheap roasts
> steaks or briskets go stock up on them now
> and fill your freezer.

Good advice. If this follows the usual price cycle of agricultural products,
the higher prices should encourage more production in areas of the U.S.
where the drought is not a factor. That should eventually (and hopefully)
put some downward pressure on beef prices.