Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe - Fisherman's Stew

I only used shrimp from the shellfish group due to two members of Clan
Ranger having severe allergies. It still went over well and we've added it
to our rotation. Use less water if you want it to be thicker and more water
if you wish for a cioppino-like consistency.

Fisherman's Stew

INGREDIENTS:
2 TBS EVOO
1 white onion, large, course chopped
1 leek, large, course chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lb tomatoes, course chopped
1 can tomato paste or purée
1 tsp. orange zest
1 TBS parsley, finely chopped
1 TBS fennel fronds, finely chopped
2 bay leaves, fresh
1 cup white wine, dry works best
3 lb pieces of mixed white fish (snapper, monk, bass, cod, etc.)
1 lb assorted shellfish (shrimp, scallops, clams, oysters, mussels, crab)
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
garnish with basil, slivered or chopped

METHOD:
Heat EVOO in large pan, then sautée onions and leek. Add garlic and tomatoes
together, stirring constantly so nothing burns.

Add zest, herbs and wine to sauce. Salt and pepper; taste and adjust with
further salt and pepper. Transfer to the crockpot. Turn on low and stir in
fish and water. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours. Do not use the high setting
because that will severely overcook the fish and shellfish (learned this the
hard way. Even reducing the time didn't help -- two batches wasted.)

Ladle finished stew over slice of sour dough and garnish with basil.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
>I only used shrimp from the shellfish group due to two members of Clan
>Ranger having severe allergies. It still went over well and we've added it
>to our rotation. Use less water if you want it to be thicker and more water
>if you wish for a cioppino-like consistency.
>
> Fisherman's Stew
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 2 TBS EVOO
> 1 white onion, large, course chopped
> 1 leek, large, course chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, crushed
> 1 lb tomatoes, course chopped
> 1 can tomato paste or purée
> 1 tsp. orange zest
> 1 TBS parsley, finely chopped
> 1 TBS fennel fronds, finely chopped
> 2 bay leaves, fresh
> 1 cup white wine, dry works best
> 3 lb pieces of mixed white fish (snapper, monk, bass, cod, etc.)
> 1 lb assorted shellfish (shrimp, scallops, clams, oysters, mussels, crab)
> 1 cup water
> salt and pepper to taste
> garnish with basil, slivered or chopped
>

> METHOD:
> Heat EVOO in large pan, then sautée onions and leek. Add garlic and
> tomatoes together, stirring constantly so nothing burns.
>
> Add zest, herbs and wine to sauce. Salt and pepper; taste and adjust with
> further salt and pepper. Transfer to the crockpot. Turn on low and stir in
> fish and water. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours. Do not use the high setting
> because that will severely overcook the fish and shellfish (learned this
> the hard way. Even reducing the time didn't help -- two batches wasted.)
>
> Ladle finished stew over slice of sour dough and garnish with basil.
>
> The Ranger

Interesting recipe, Ranger. I've saved it and will try it soon.

This is the first recipe I've seen that uses fennel fronds for anything but
garnish. It bugs my cheapskate heart to toss the fronds (half the vegetable
by weight) when make something with fennel.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo > wrote in message
[snip]
> Interesting recipe, Ranger. I've saved it and will try it soon.

I think you'll enjoy it. I wish my clan was allergy free because I think
adding in the remaining assortment of clams, mussels, and scallops would
make it more enjoyable.

> This is the first recipe I've seen that uses fennel fronds
> for anything but garnish. It bugs my cheapskate heart
> to toss the fronds (half the vegetable by weight) when
> make something with fennel.

I'm not so much a cheapskate as frugal but agree that it is one of the few
that I've ever read that uses fennel fronts.

The Ranger

REC - Fisherman's Wharf Stew (Cioppino) - RFC Cookbook page 35 Rusty[_1_] Recipes 1 24-04-2009 12:47 AM
Fisherman's Catch Chowder Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 02-02-2006 04:52 AM
Fisherman's stew Ron w Recipes 0 22-09-2004 04:43 AM
Fisherman's Cioppino Sam Waring Recipes (moderated) 0 13-08-2004 02:50 AM
Norfolk, Va "The Fisherman's Wharf" Is it still there? ChrisGW Restaurants 1 20-04-2004 08:00 PM