Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bottle cleaning advice wanted

Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.

Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
However I can't do that so how do I clean it. In the past
I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
and they are okay for some things but they would not work
for this. You can't apply enough force.

I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
on the internet. There are many commercial cleaners but
many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
Polident, baking soda, and bleach. Do those things really
work?

Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
because the opening is even tinier.

So what do y'all think?

Thanks,
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:35:19 -0400, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
>glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
>had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
>have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
>like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
>a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
>far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
>want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>
>Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
>I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
>However I can't do that so how do I clean it. In the past
>I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
>and they are okay for some things but they would not work
>for this. You can't apply enough force.
>
>I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
>on the internet. There are many commercial cleaners but
>many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
>Polident, baking soda, and bleach. Do those things really
>work?
>
>Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
>with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
>homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
>as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
>and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
>re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
>up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
>to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
>have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
>because the opening is even tinier.
>
>So what do y'all think?
>
>Thanks,
>Kate

I'd fill it with hot water, some bleach and soap liquid, and soak it
overnight. I've always had good results.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles.

Get a baby bottle brush.

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate,

Uncooked white rice and vinegar. Toss a fair amount of each in, cap it, and
shake it up, pour it out, rinse it out. Maybe repeat once or twice, as
needed, rinse out well with distilled water, air dry.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles.

Try soaking it in a sudsy ammonia solution and, as others said, use a
bottle brush.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>bottles.
>Kate

Google "dip-it" They have several products and all have worked great
for me. I carried a Stanley S/S thermos for years and the only way to
keep it clean was with a Dip-It product.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
> with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
> as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
> re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
> because the opening is even tinier.
>
> So what do y'all think?

Before trying anything stronger, I'd try vinegar. The
denture stuff should work
well, also, but it's not cheap. If you have access to a
chemistry lab, Alconox works
well for cleaning glass, also. Be careful not to mix any of
these chemicals together
unless you really know what you are doing.

If you think either bottle needs "scouring", the usual
recommendation is to use
a tbsp. of uncooked rice grains and swish them around
vigorously.

If you use bleach, which would kill any remaining mold
spores, use a solution of
bleach and water and rinse it out thoroughly.

If the cloudiness is etched onto the glass, you won't be
able to get rid of it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned

Kate , 1/4 cup bleach, fill with warm water and leave over night. If
the cloudy area is still there, it may be that it's in the glass
itself. Make sure you rinse horology.

or

Try running it through with a load of dishes in the dishwasher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>
> Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
> I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
> However I can't do that so how do I clean it. In the past
> I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
> and they are okay for some things but they would not work
> for this. You can't apply enough force.
>
> I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
> on the internet. There are many commercial cleaners but
> many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
> Polident, baking soda, and bleach. Do those things really
> work?
>
> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
> with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
> as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
> re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
> because the opening is even tinier.
>
> So what do y'all think?
>
> Thanks,
> Kate

A dollop of pure 5% white vinegar into the bottle, let it sit for a few
hours, pour off, rinse well, let it air dry. If it still has some of the
calcium deposit (that's normally what causes those deposits)repeat until
it comes clean. No need to buy any cleaning products when common vinegar
will do the job.

That being said, we have tap water with a heavy calcium hardness, we use
Lemishine in the dishwasher and used it in glasses, vases, etc. early on
to dissolve the deposit and then in the dishwasher to keep it off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester > writes:

> If the cloudiness is etched onto the glass, you won't be able to get
> rid of it.

BINGO!

Also, try Oxy-Clean, SLR, or a liquid dishwaher detergent (DON'T MIX
TOGETHER!). Soak overnight.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>
> Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
> I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
> However I can't do that so how do I clean it. In the past
> I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
> and they are okay for some things but they would not work
> for this. You can't apply enough force.
>
> > So what do y'all think?

> Thanks,
> Kate
>
> --
> Kate Connally

I would put white vinegar in the bottle and let it stand for several hours.
Then put some *tiny* pebbles in it and swish it around. You need to do that
with enough firmness to scrub the inside of the bottle, but not so hard as
to damage it. I would also use bleach in the bottle that needs sanitizing.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>
> Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
> I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
> However I can't do that so how do I clean it. In the past
> I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
> and they are okay for some things but they would not work
> for this. You can't apply enough force.
>
> I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
> on the internet. There are many commercial cleaners but
> many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
> Polident, baking soda, and bleach. Do those things really
> work?
>
> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
> with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
> as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
> re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
> because the opening is even tinier.
>
> So what do y'all think?
>
> Thanks,
> Kate

If it's a lime deposit, a good vinegar soak should work.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 11:35*am, Kate Connally > wrote:
> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles. *Here's the deal. *I have this great old-fashioned
> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
> had a festival. *I came with chocolate milk in it but I
> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. *It has developed
> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. *It's not a problem as
> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>
> Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
> I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
> However I can't do that so how do I clean it. *In the past
> I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
> and they are okay for some things but they would not work
> for this. *You can't apply enough force.
>
> I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
> on the internet. *There are many commercial cleaners but
> many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
> Polident, baking soda, and bleach. *Do those things really
> work?
>
> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
> with a bale top. *A friend gave it to me as a gift with
> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
> as I recall). *She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
> re-use it for something. *The trouble is that I didn't use
> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). *So I
> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
> because the opening is even tinier.
>
> So what do y'all think?
>
> Thanks,
> Kate

Tie a brillo or dishcloth to the end of a wooden spoon handle and you
can probably get in there.

Also, I have found that brushes sold for home aquariums fit into
narrow places. For the ultimate small cleaning brush, save clean,
old mascara wands. I have used these to clean whisks where the wires
are joined to the handle and the crud builds up if they don't get a
good soaking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 11:35*am, Kate Connally > wrote:
> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles. *Here's the deal. *I have this great old-fashioned
> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
> had a festival. *I came with chocolate milk in it but I
> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. *It has developed
> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. *It's not a problem as
> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>
> Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
> I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
> However I can't do that so how do I clean it. *In the past
> I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
> and they are okay for some things but they would not work
> for this. *You can't apply enough force.
>
> I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
> on the internet. *There are many commercial cleaners but
> many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
> Polident, baking soda, and bleach. *Do those things really
> work?
>
> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
> with a bale top. *A friend gave it to me as a gift with
> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
> as I recall). *She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
> re-use it for something. *The trouble is that I didn't use
> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). *So I
> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
> because the opening is even tinier.
>
> So what do y'all think?
>
> Thanks,
> Kate

Baking soda and hot water. I had a ponzu bottle with a narrow neck
that would not come clean. Slid about a teaspoon of baking soda in,
added hot water from the kettle, and shook. Magic. Clean as a
whistle.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine wrote:

> Baking soda and hot water. I had a ponzu bottle with a narrow neck
> that would not come clean. Slid about a teaspoon of baking soda in,
> added hot water from the kettle, and shook. Magic. Clean as a
> whistle.

Bad advice. Baking soda should never be used to clean
glass because it can etch the glass by chemical attack.
Very slowly, but fast enough to cause damage you can see.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.

CLR will get the glass sparkling clean, but I don't think that it is
food safe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:32:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Kate Connally wrote:
>> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
>> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
>> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
>> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
>> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
>> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
>> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
>> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.

>CLR will get the glass sparkling clean, but I don't think that it is
>food safe.

CLR is advertised for cleaning coffee pots so it's probably ok. But I
don't think it's very powerful from my experience.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 2:17*pm, maxine > wrote:

> Baking soda and hot water. *I had a ponzu bottle with a narrow neck
> that would not come clean. *Slid about a teaspoon of baking soda in,
> added hot water from the kettle, and shook. *Magic.

Just curious. Why did you want to clean and save a ponzu bottle?
BTW, can't we 'make' our own ponzu by just adding lemon and/or lime
juice to soy?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"l, not -l" > wrote:

> On 3-Jun-2009, Kate Connally > wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> > bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
> > glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
> > had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
> > have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
> > like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
> > a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
> > far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
> > want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.

> Kosher salt with just enough water to allow it to slosh around real well; do
> not try to dissolve the salt, just vigorously agitate the bottle so that the
> salt scours the bottom.

When I used to work at one of the local cavern gift shops, (they had a
concession area), we used to use crushed ice and rock salt to "scrub"
the coffee pots.

Worked well.

We also washed all the windows using glass cleaner and newspaper. Kept
it from streaking and worked like a charm.

That job as a cashier and cavern tour guide paid for my first year in
college. I made $3.00 per hour.

How times have changed. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>
> Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
> I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
> However I can't do that so how do I clean it. In the past
> I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
> and they are okay for some things but they would not work
> for this. You can't apply enough force.
>
> I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
> on the internet. There are many commercial cleaners but
> many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
> Polident, baking soda, and bleach. Do those things really
> work?
>
> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
> with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
> as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
> re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
> because the opening is even tinier.
>
> So what do y'all think?
>
> Thanks,
> Kate

If you want it not only to look clean but end up sterile as well

My method when cleaning up old bottles for collection Some 200 years
old and buried for years is

You will need
Babies bottle brush
Detergent
Vinegar
Bi Carbonate of Soda

And to Sterilise
1 use denture cleaner anti oxident tabs

2 follow up with
Potassium metabisulfite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite

Method
Soak jars bottles etc in washing up liquid overnight in hot water

Rinse under warm running water a number of times after a good scrub with
the bottle brush to break up the residue you say is in the bottom

Scrub while rinsing

then add a few teaspoons of Bicarb NO water
let stand for awhile say ten minutes

Then shake out what you can
Then a few teaspoons of vinegar

shake /swirl etc watch the reaction and dont get it in your eyes

rinse repeat until stain gone

Rinse thoroughly -let dry

pop in 2 or more denture tabs and 300MLS of warm water NOT hot

let stand overnight
Rinse thoroughly next morning let dry

Then finish off with the metabisulfite

Rinse with warm to hot water let dry

Then you should have a CLEAN and sterile bottle

That no self respecting microbe or nasty such as wild yeasts etc would
choose to enter

Caution do not use the above methods with any metal incl stainless steel

HTH
Phil

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>>> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
>>> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
>>> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
>>> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
>>> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
>>> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
>>> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
>>> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.

>> CLR will get the glass sparkling clean, but I don't think that it is
>> food safe.

> CLR is advertised for cleaning coffee pots so it's probably ok. But I
> don't think it's very powerful from my experience.

Are you talking about the spray or the concentrate. I buy jugs of it
once in a while and find it to be quite powerful. I have used it for my
coffee makers and it cleans them right out, but I have to run gallons of
water through to get rid of the stuff. I have used it to clean the
glass coffee pots. I add a little CLR and a bit of water and swish it
around and the glass sparkles.

I also use it to clean the heating pot on my water distiller. Again, I
have to rinse it many times to remove the CLR. I had a greenish stain on
the bottom of a bone wash basin in one bathroom My wife thought I had
spilled paint in it. I put aboit an ounce of CLR in it, added a little
water and the stain disappeared almost instantly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 5:08*pm, wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2:17*pm, maxine > wrote:
>
> > Baking soda and hot water. *I had a ponzu bottle with a narrow neck
> > that would not come clean. *Slid about a teaspoon of baking soda in,
> > added hot water from the kettle, and shook. *Magic.

> Just curious. *Why did you want to clean and save a ponzu bottle?
> BTW, can't we 'make' our own ponzu by just adding lemon and/or lime
> juice to soy?

Keeps the critters out of the recycle. That's why I clean it out.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 21:25:48 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>> CLR is advertised for cleaning coffee pots so it's probably ok. But I
>> don't think it's very powerful from my experience.

>Are you talking about the spray or the concentrate.

The concentrate.

>I buy jugs of it
>once in a while and find it to be quite powerful. I have used it for my
>coffee makers and it cleans them right out, but I have to run gallons of
>water through to get rid of the stuff. I have used it to clean the
>glass coffee pots. I add a little CLR and a bit of water and swish it
>around and the glass sparkles.
>
>I also use it to clean the heating pot on my water distiller. Again, I
>have to rinse it many times to remove the CLR. I had a greenish stain on
>the bottom of a bone wash basin in one bathroom My wife thought I had
>spilled paint in it. I put aboit an ounce of CLR in it, added a little
>water and the stain disappeared almost instantly.

I've not had our luck. I'll use lime-a-way or rust-raze.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/w...rust-raze.html

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 11:34*am, wrote:
> Puester > writes:
>
> > If the cloudiness is etched onto the glass, you won't be able to get
> > rid of it.

> BINGO!
>
> Also, try Oxy-Clean, SLR, or a liquid dishwaher detergent (DON'T MIX
> TOGETHER!).

Why?

>*Soak overnight.
>
> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:35:19 -0400, Kate Connally >
> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
>> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
>> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
>> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
>> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
>> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
>> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
>> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>>
>> Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
>> I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
>> However I can't do that so how do I clean it. In the past
>> I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
>> and they are okay for some things but they would not work
>> for this. You can't apply enough force.
>>
>> I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
>> on the internet. There are many commercial cleaners but
>> many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
>> Polident, baking soda, and bleach. Do those things really
>> work?
>>
>> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
>> with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
>> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
>> as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
>> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
>> re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
>> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
>> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
>> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
>> because the opening is even tinier.
>>
>> So what do y'all think?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kate

> I'd fill it with hot water, some bleach and soap liquid, and soak it
> overnight. I've always had good results.

Well, duh. Why didn't I think of that? ;-) Done that many times.
Doesn't work.

But thanks anyway.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Kate,
>
> Uncooked white rice and vinegar. Toss a fair amount of each in, cap it, and
> shake it up, pour it out, rinse it out. Maybe repeat once or twice, as
> needed, rinse out well with distilled water, air dry.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Thanks Andy. I'll give that a try. It can't hurt.
Wonder if I can save the rice and rinse the vinegar off
and then cook it. ;-) I hate to waste food.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Kate Connally wrote:
>
>> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
>> with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
>> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
>> as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
>> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
>> re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
>> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
>> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
>> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
>> because the opening is even tinier.
>>
>> So what do y'all think?
>>

> Before trying anything stronger, I'd try vinegar. The denture stuff
> should work
> well, also, but it's not cheap. If you have access to a chemistry lab,
> Alconox works
> well for cleaning glass, also. Be careful not to mix any of these
> chemicals together
> unless you really know what you are doing.
>
> If you think either bottle needs "scouring", the usual recommendation is
> to use
> a tbsp. of uncooked rice grains and swish them around vigorously.
>
> If you use bleach, which would kill any remaining mold spores, use a
> solution of
> bleach and water and rinse it out thoroughly.
>
> If the cloudiness is etched onto the glass, you won't be able to get rid
> of it.
>
> gloria p

Thanks, Gloria. Those sound like good ideas.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine wrote:
> On Jun 3, 11:35 am, Kate Connally > wrote:
>> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned
>> glass milk bottle that i got at a local dairy when they
>> had a festival. I came with chocolate milk in it but I
>> have saved it and use it frequently for storing things
>> like lemonade or freshly squeezed oj. It has developed
>> a cloudy deposit on the bottom. It's not a problem as
>> far as usage goes but it bugs the heck out of me and I
>> want to make it all crystal-clear and shiny bright.
>>
>> Now if it were large enough for me to get my hand in there
>> I would just take a Brillo pad or SOS pad and scour it.
>> However I can't do that so how do I clean it. In the past
>> I have had occasion to use bottle brushes of various sorts
>> and they are okay for some things but they would not work
>> for this. You can't apply enough force.
>>
>> I thought of using coffee pot cleaner and checked into that
>> on the internet. There are many commercial cleaners but
>> many sites recommended things like vinegar, Alkaseltzer,
>> Polident, baking soda, and bleach. Do those things really
>> work?
>>
>> Also, I have another bottle which is a tall think bottle
>> with a bale top. A friend gave it to me as a gift with
>> homemade flavored olive oil (some sort of herbs in it
>> as I recall). She painted stuff on the outside of the bottle
>> and I would really like to be able to keep it and possible
>> re-use it for something. The trouble is that I didn't use
>> up the olive oil fast enough and it got moldy (due no doubt
>> to the herbs not having been "sterilized" somehow). So I
>> have the same problem as with the milk bottle only worse
>> because the opening is even tinier.
>>
>> So what do y'all think?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kate

> Baking soda and hot water. I had a ponzu bottle with a narrow neck
> that would not come clean. Slid about a teaspoon of baking soda in,
> added hot water from the kettle, and shook. Magic. Clean as a
> whistle.
>
> maxine in ri

Thanks, Maxine. I'll give that a try.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanks for all the suggestions. * bottle cleaning advice wanted)

I'll let you know how it works out.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well then muriatic acid.
--
mad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:45:13 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, Mack A. Damia
> wrote,
>Well then muriatic acid.

Good answer. Or a squirt of toilet cleaner, the kind that says the
active ingredient is Hydrogen Chloride.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spammer wrote:

>> Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>> bottles. Here's the deal. I have this great old-fashioned

> Kate , 1/4 cup bleach, fill with warm water and leave over night. If
> the cloudy area is still there, it may be that it's in the glass
> itself. Make sure you rinse horology.

"Horology?" This is what happens when an illiterate relies on a
spell-checker.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:07:18 -0500, Omelet > wrote:

>> On 3-Jun-2009, Kate Connally > wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning
>> > bottles. {snip}

>When I used to work at one of the local cavern gift shops, (they had a
>concession area), we used to use crushed ice and rock salt to "scrub"
>the coffee pots.
>
>Worked well.

caught this one late but I'd like to add

Om's right IMO
crushed ice (or smallish cubes), a lemon wedge (or vinegar) and table salt
swirl the slurry & rinse well to clean glass coffee pots at a surf&turf
restaraunt I worked at. No aftertaste either.