Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Default Sandra's Money Saving Meals: Garden Variety

Ubiquitous wrote:

> Popup: "Shredding your own cheese will save you 30%!" Thanks, captain
> obvious!

Moreover, pre-grated cheese is usually made of low-end cheese.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

lid wrote:
>Ubiquitous wrote:

>> Popup: "Shredding your own cheese will save you 30%!" Thanks, captain
>> obvious!

>Moreover, pre-grated cheese is usually made of low-end cheese.

Having this woman do a budget minded show is audacious hypocrisy that
has to fall somewhere in between Bristol Palin being pimped out by her
mother as the poster child for teenage abstinence as birth control
complete with born-before-graduation baby draped in her arms like a sack
of potatoes as if her trophy for keeping her thighs clenched (not) and
Hitler showing up uninvited to a bris.

Obviously Lee has no idea of actual costs because anyone that says fresh
produce is cheaper to make a whole meal than meat completely misses the
boat on one of the chief nutritional concerns for the nation as a whole.
No matter regional price differences, overall, as countless national and
local news segments have shown, retricted budget shopping in a grocery
store proves time and again that the bang for the buck is, sadly, not in
the fresh produce section.

Then to compound her ignorance she makes black bean burgers. Black beans
are not in the fresh produce section that I have ever seen.

This show could work with a qualified cook and someone who did a segment
on a "frozen" mass staple. Like that pizza dough. Show how to make the
dough one week in a quick bit and break down the cost if you make a
batch that produces four pizzas. Pizza dough is a five minute segment to
show and then refer back as you use it over and over again throughout
the season. Color me surprised that it was not a whack-a-roll of
biscuits bought on sale though.

Her incredibly pompous earnesty on grating your own carrots versus
buying the grated was hilarious. Just because it was so smug and yet
completely lacking in any self-awareness. It's bad enough that she
obviously thinks buying an ingredient in its cheapest form is a stunning
revelation. But for her to pretend that she was never the advocate for
the most expensive and laziest form. All the time. No matter what you
were making?! It's like I went out drinking, got blotto, picked up a one
night stand, and when we got back to the room, there was Pope Benedict
kneeling by the bed offering to put a condom on my dick. All while I was
vactioning in Africa.

I'm wondering at her math with the lemon juice. First, fresh lemons in
season are really cheap. Second, fresh lemon juice freezes ; again
something a qualified cook could cover in a real show -- things you can
buy in bulk and break down to store for future use. What should have
been the focus on the use of lemon juice concentrate was the shelf life
of always having it on the fridge door to use without having to worry
about waste and spoilage. It is funny she can't even be bothered (or
writers and producers that is) to figure out some less obvious dollar
for dollar comparisons that actualy make sense. But the turnabout for
the lemon is that squeezed lemosn still can be used in other things. Buy
fresh lemons and show how to utilize the whole lemon, even if it is just
making lemon flavored water for sports bottles that cuts any chemical
taste for the gym etc.

I make my own real pizza. But the price of the pie for her compare seems
ridiculous when the ads tout pizza at some pretty cheap prices.

If the whole schtick for this show is buying the cheaper version, how on
earth can this last? "To make a cheap pasta dish, buy the cheapest form
of pasta". Really? How about I just stop eating every other day instead.

Vegetables and pasta can be really filling. As opposed to vegetables and
a whole cow? I mean what the hell? Like non-cream pasta primavera hasn't
been around for ages. Her white-knuckled determination that anything new
to her is new to the rest of the world only works as entertainment if I
was liquored up. Sunday at noon? Not likely to happen. Much. Her pasta
price with the pasta being over a dollar itself was crap. Sure when in
season some of those vegetables are cheaper. But peppers year round run
2.99 to 3.99 a pound when prices are good. I've seen in late winter, red
peppers going for 1.99 at the more competitive stores. In city or major
suburban higher end markets? 5.99 a pound. Going by the bag in my
fridge, 2 good sized (but not huge) peppers weigh in over a pound. Throw
in the eggplant? And her cost is bullshit. Plus the size of serving of
the pasta was very deceiving. What was shown was no way a fourth of the
pasta from a regular box. In order to break it down to four people as a
main course and it would be more like half the piled on serving they
show.

"Nice cripsy bottoms". Except they are supposed to be crispy all over
you stupid cow.

Fresh parsley versus fresh lemons? WTF? Lemons last a long time in the
fridge. Fresh parsley is a luxury in terms of keeping it on hand for a
little here and a little there.

The new face job is pretty scary. Maybe with her predilection for bigger
boobs, she went to her breast augmentation surgeon -- because it looks
like he did to her eyebrows what they do to nipples when they enchance
the boobs beyond even nature's extreme possibility. That or except for
when she films the show, she wears a huge carpenter's vise strapped
around her head from temple to temple. Her face is so taut I kept
thinking she was doing the show with an extreme cold wind blowing in her
face.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Having this woman do a budget minded show is audacious hypocrisy that
>has to fall somewhere in between Bristol Palin being pimped out by her
>mother as the poster child for teenage abstinence as birth control
>complete with born-before-graduation baby draped in her arms like a
>sack of potatoes as if her trophy for keeping her thighs clenched (not)
>and Hitler showing up uninvited to a bris.

While it is not the enormous trainwreck that Semi-Ho was, it's still got
rails, Lee as the stoned train engineer and the inepitude of production
as the drunk driver of the triple trailer big rig racing the train to
the crossing. This is still the early days and FN tends to cherry pick
the beginning episodes. Let this go on a bit and let Lee go her own way
and I can see this being just as ridiculous as Semi-Ho. So far she
already is dipping into the craziness of themes that have a huge
disconnect with the premise of the show. Wait until she takes it to her
obsessed level of thematic silliness. The steak dinner where she
earnestly tells us that a box of Steak-ums is cheaper than those silly
over priced cuts at the Butcher's counter. And let's not forget her love
of travel and making sure to offend everyone culturally and culinarily
with equality and ease.

Sure, if this was her first show, there probably wouldn't be a
sub-forum. But I'm already seeing the foundation of complete and utter
inability in the area of her so called expertise that brought her to the
heights of snarkdom she now enjoys. I think she has it in her to reach
that level with this show as well.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>While it is not the enormous trainwreck that Semi-Ho was, it's still
>got rails, Lee as the stoned train engineer and the inepitude of
>production as the drunk driver of the triple trailer big rig racing
>the train to the crossing. This is still the early days and FN tends
>to cherry pick the beginning episodes. Let this go on a bit and let
>Lee go her own way and I can see this being just as ridiculous as
>Semi-Ho. So far she already is dipping into the craziness of themes
>that have a huge disconnect with the premise of the show. Wait until
>she takes it to her obsessed level of thematic silliness. The steak
>dinner where she earnestly tells us that a box of Steak-ums is cheaper
>than those silly over priced cuts at the Butcher's counter. And let's
>not forget her love of travel and making sure to offend everyone
>culturally and culinarily with equality and ease.
>
>Sure, if this was her first show, there probably wouldn't be a
>sub-forum. But I'm already seeing the foundation of complete and utter
>inability in the area of her so called expertise that brought her to
>the heights of snarkdom she now enjoys. I think she has it in her to
>reach that level with this show as well.

http://foodnetworkhumor.com/2009/05/...y-saving-tips/

by Jillian Madison

This week’s episode of Money Saving Meals was brought to you by the
color... GREEN!

I hope you guys are sitting down, because Aunt Sandy’s tips are going to
save you big bucks this week:

1. Vegetables are cheaper than meat!

2. Homemade tomato sauce is cheaper than jarred tomato sauce!

3. You’ll save money if you grate your own cheese and carrots!

4. You’ll save money if you make your own burger patties!

5. And because this one is so crucial, a repeat tip from last week’s
show: DRIED PASTA IS CHEAPER THAN FRESH PASTA!

Sandra also made a small pizza with mushrooms, onions, and peppers, and
claimed the equivalent pizza would cost $18.27 if delivered. Yeah, sure.
If it was being delivered from Italy. By someone who had to walk the
whole way. Uphill. With no shoes. While listening to an audiobook being
read by Noah Starr.

Next week, maybe Sandra Lee will branch out and share some household
money saving tips: “If you have to go to the bathroom, go to your
neighbor’s house! This will save you $.0005 per flush!”

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn