Joelle

Default Browning Flour

Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour, but I've come
across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then add oil, and is
this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry pan until it's
brown? Anything more to it?
Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or can you just make a
roux?

Joelle
zxcvbob

Joelle wrote:
> Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour, but I've come
> across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then add oil, and is
> this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry pan until it's
> brown? Anything more to it?
> Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or can you just make a
> roux?
>
> Joelle

Don't brown the flour first unless you are trying to leave out the oil.
Browning dry flour without burning it is a real pain in the ass. But you
can brown about a pound of it in the oven (stir frequently) and use it for
a half dozen batches of gumbo without having to make a roux.

Mix the browned flour with the sauted bell peppers, onions, and celery
right before you add the tomatoes and stock.

Best regards,
Bob

PENMART01

(Joelle) writes:

>Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour, but I've come
>across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then add oil, and is
>this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry pan until it's
>brown? Anything more to it?
>Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or can you just make
>a roux?

More often than not the dishes concocted in commercail establishments are
prepared with oil-less rouxs... a great time and labour saver and results in
far more uniform and superiour product.

---> http://www.unichef.com/oillessroux.htm

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Rick & Cyndi

"Joelle" > wrote in message
: Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour,
but I've come
: across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then add
oil, and is
: this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry
pan until it's
: brown? Anything more to it?
: Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or can
you just make a
: roux?
:
: Joelle
======

Hi Joelle!

Yep - there's a big difference. You can still do your roux the
way you've always done; however, if you brown the flour first -
you will have a deeper and more complex flavor to your roux.
Once you do brown - you won't go back to plain white... <VBG>.

Seriously, the flavor with the browned flour is SO much better!

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Rick & Cyndi

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
: Joelle wrote:
: > Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour,
but I've come
: > across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then
add oil, and is
: > this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry
pan until it's
: > brown? Anything more to it?
: > Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or
can you just make a
: > roux?
: >
: > Joelle
:
:
: Don't brown the flour first unless you are trying to leave out
the oil.
: Browning dry flour without burning it is a real pain in the
ass. But you
: can brown about a pound of it in the oven (stir frequently) and
use it for
: a half dozen batches of gumbo without having to make a roux.
:
: Mix the browned flour with the sauted bell peppers, onions, and
celery
: right before you add the tomatoes and stock.
:
: Best regards,
: Bob
: ========

Huh. Ya know, I hear that a lot but (luckily) I've never had any
problems with dry frying the flour on the stove top. But I might
have a slight advantage with the lighting... I have a double
oven range with back-lighting just behind the burners. It makes
it much easier to tell when the flour is getting to that perfect
dark tan color.

FWIW, I also use butter (not oil) in my roux... makes for a great
flavor.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Joelle

>Seriously, the flavor with the browned flour is SO much better!

Even compared to standing slavishly over the roux for 45 minutes to get it a
nice brown color? Or is this a quicker way to get a dark brown roux?

Joelle
Rick & Cyndi

"Joelle" > wrote in message
: >Seriously, the flavor with the browned flour is SO much
better!
:
: Even compared to standing slavishly over the roux for 45
minutes to get it a
: nice brown color? Or is this a quicker way to get a dark brown
roux?
:
: Joelle
===========

Waaaayyyy quicker! Depending upon size of pan and amount of
flour... You can have a terrific roux in less than 15 minutes;
which includes the browning of the flour, adding the butter and
letting the two marry in the pan for a few minutes.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Joelle

>. You can have a terrific roux in less than 15 minutes;
>which includes the browning of the flour, adding the butter and
>letting the two marry in the pan for a few minutes.

Okay I'm sold but I'm still a little in the dark about the technique of
browning flour. This is done in the oven? In the pan?

Joelle
Peter Aitken

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Joelle wrote:
> > Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour, but I've

come
> > across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then add oil, and

is
> > this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry pan until

it's
> > brown? Anything more to it?
> > Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or can you just

make a
> > roux?
> >
> > Joelle

> Don't brown the flour first unless you are trying to leave out the oil.
> Browning dry flour without burning it is a real pain in the ass. But you
> can brown about a pound of it in the oven (stir frequently) and use it for
> a half dozen batches of gumbo without having to make a roux.
>
> Mix the browned flour with the sauted bell peppers, onions, and celery
> right before you add the tomatoes and stock.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I disagree - browning flour dry is not a problem and I think it gives a
diffferent taste than if it is browned in oil. I use a nonstick pan over
medium heat, using a spatula to move the flour around every minute or so.
Works fine - just be careful not to use too high a heat or it will burn. It
takes at least several minutes to brown properly.

--
Peter Aitken

Rick & Cyndi

Joelle" > wrote in message
: >. You can have a terrific roux in less than 15 minutes;
: >which includes the browning of the flour, adding the butter
and
: >letting the two marry in the pan for a few minutes.
: >
:
: Okay I'm sold but I'm still a little in the dark about the
technique of
: browning flour. This is done in the oven? In the pan?
:
: Joelle
==========

In a pan on the stove top. Heat at about Medium-High. Toss the
flour in the pan and stir it around with a spatula every minute
or so.

Probably for your first time or two you may want keep a little
dish of plain flour nearby so that you can compare the color of
your dry-fry flour. It's really easy and once you start doing
your roux this way... I doubt you'll go back.

Some people put their flour on a baking sheet and brown it in the
oven. I haven't done this because I'm too lazy (another item to
wash! LOL) besides, I have to incorporate the butter into the
flour... so by dry-frying it in the skillet I'm saving a dish and
a step.

HTH,

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>"

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelle View Post
Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour, but I've come
across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then add oil, and is
this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry pan until it's
brown? Anything more to it?
Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or can you just make a
roux?

Joelle
Hi Joelle
I was surprised to see so many replies to this , but everyone has a point. My dad always kept a quart jar of browned flour in the cabinet to use in soups and gravies. When it got low he'd get out the skillet , throw in a couple cups of flour and stir it around til it got a nice golden brown. He always said it made the gravy taste richer and better....and my dad made awesome gravy.

Browning Jeff Miller Sourdough 17 12-06-2007 11:35 PM
Browning Jeff Miller Sourdough 3 11-06-2007 04:46 PM
Browning Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 10-06-2007 10:21 PM
Browning Jeff Miller Sourdough 1 10-06-2007 12:58 AM
Browning Meat: When To Flour kitamun General Cooking 27 27-01-2007 03:32 PM