Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Here come Memorial Day weekend: what's your favorite grillingrecipe??

Good afternon all,

With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
foodies love to put on the grill.

I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
(shrimp recipe follows). I also will probably do some grilled
asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.

You?

Shrimp Kebabs with Lemon and Garlic

These are very quick to put together and taste great. I usually just
whisk up the marinade and toss the shrimp in, then skewer last-minute.

You can marinate the shrimp for an hour at room temperature or two
hours in the fridge, turning skewers occasionally.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

48 uncooked large shrimp, unpeeled, deveined (thawed if frozen)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup olive oil

Thread 4 shrimp on each of 6 metal skewers; place on rimmed baking
sheet. Whisk lemon juice, lemon peel, and garlic in medium bowl;
slowly whisk in oil. Season marinade with salt and pepper. Pour
marinade over skewers, dividing equally.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill shrimp until pink on
outside and opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Good afternon all,
>
> With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> foodies love to put on the grill.
>
> I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> (shrimp recipe follows). I also will probably do some grilled
> asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.
>

> You?

Grilled leg of lamb. Bought a boneless leg that was nicely wrapped in
netting for easy roasting, but, we do it different.

Took the roast out of the netting and unrolled it. Mixed together chopped
garlic and rosemary and rubbed the meat, then poured buttermilk over the
entire piece in a rectangular dish. Marinate overnight.

Heat grill and take the meat still wet and put it on the ht grill. Cook
to medium rare or medium, let rest and slice to serve.

The leg sometimes has a gamey taste to it and the buttermilk removes it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 10:22*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message

> > Good afternon all,

> > With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> > elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> > foodies love to put on the grill.

> > I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> > (shrimp recipe follows). *I also will probably do some grilled
> > asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.

> > You?

> Grilled leg of lamb. *Bought a boneless leg that was nicely wrapped in
> netting for easy roasting, but, we do it different.
>
> Took the roast out of the netting and unrolled it. *Mixed together chopped
> garlic and rosemary and rubbed the meat, then poured buttermilk over the
> entire piece in a rectangular dish. Marinate overnight.
>
> Heat grill and take the meat still wet and * *put it on the ht grill. Cook
> to medium rare or medium, let rest and slice to serve.
>
> The leg sometimes has a gamey taste to it and the buttermilk removes it.

Wow that sounds good. I've done a similar rub with pork tenderloin but
not lamb. How long does it take to grill?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:46:00 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>Shrimp Kebabs with Lemon and Garlic
>
>These are very quick to put together and taste great. I usually just
>whisk up the marinade and toss the shrimp in, then skewer last-minute.
>
>You can marinate the shrimp for an hour at room temperature or two
>hours in the fridge, turning skewers occasionally.
>
>Yield: Makes 6 servings
>

>48 uncooked large shrimp, unpeeled, deveined (thawed if frozen)
>1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
>2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
>2 garlic cloves, minced
>2/3 cup olive oil
>
>Thread 4 shrimp on each of 6 metal skewers; place on rimmed baking
>sheet. Whisk lemon juice, lemon peel, and garlic in medium bowl;
>slowly whisk in oil. Season marinade with salt and pepper. Pour
>marinade over skewers, dividing equally.
>
>Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill shrimp until pink on
>outside and opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side.

That looks really good. Snipped and saved, thanks!

sf

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 22:22:12 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Grilled leg of lamb. Bought a boneless leg that was nicely wrapped in
>netting for easy roasting, but, we do it different.
>
>Took the roast out of the netting and unrolled it. Mixed together chopped
>garlic and rosemary and rubbed the meat, then poured buttermilk over the
>entire piece in a rectangular dish. Marinate overnight.
>
>Heat grill and take the meat still wet and put it on the ht grill. Cook
>to medium rare or medium, let rest and slice to serve.
>
>The leg sometimes has a gamey taste to it and the buttermilk removes it.

Ah, so buttermilk is the trick? I do the rest, but not the buttermilk
part. In the past, I've had to be picky about which country my lamb
comes from.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 2009 22:22:12 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
>>Grilled leg of lamb. Bought a boneless leg that was nicely wrapped in
>>netting for easy roasting, but, we do it different.
>>
>>Took the roast out of the netting and unrolled it. Mixed together chopped
>>garlic and rosemary and rubbed the meat, then poured buttermilk over the
>>entire piece in a rectangular dish. Marinate overnight.
>>
>>Heat grill and take the meat still wet and put it on the ht grill. Cook
>>to medium rare or medium, let rest and slice to serve.
>>
>>The leg sometimes has a gamey taste to it and the buttermilk removes it.
>>

> Ah, so buttermilk is the trick? I do the rest, but not the buttermilk
> part. In the past, I've had to be picky about which country my lamb
> comes from.

Yogurt does the trick too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2009 22:22:12 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>> Grilled leg of lamb. Bought a boneless leg that was nicely wrapped in
>> netting for easy roasting, but, we do it different.
>>
>> Took the roast out of the netting and unrolled it. Mixed together chopped
>> garlic and rosemary and rubbed the meat, then poured buttermilk over the
>> entire piece in a rectangular dish. Marinate overnight.
>>
>> Heat grill and take the meat still wet and put it on the ht grill. Cook
>> to medium rare or medium, let rest and slice to serve.
>>
>> The leg sometimes has a gamey taste to it and the buttermilk removes it.
>>

> Ah, so buttermilk is the trick? I do the rest, but not the buttermilk
> part. In the past, I've had to be picky about which country my lamb
> comes from.

which countries lamb did you not like and which of those did you prefer?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 12:52:26 +0800, "phil..c" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 May 2009 22:22:12 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >

<snip>

>>> The leg sometimes has a gamey taste to it and the buttermilk removes it.
>>>

>> Ah, so buttermilk is the trick? I do the rest, but not the buttermilk
>> part. In the past, I've had to be picky about which country my lamb
>> comes from.
>>

>which countries lamb did you not like and which of those did you prefer?

I don't like Australian lamb, New Zealand is much, much better and
American is best... IMO. It's next to impossible to buy American lamb
at an affordable price, so I settle for NZ lamb. I was very happy
with it the last time I cooked it (which wasn't too long ago).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 12:37*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:46:00 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>

> >Shrimp Kebabs with Lemon and Garlic

> >These are very quick to put together and taste great. I usually just
> >whisk up the marinade and toss the shrimp in, then skewer last-minute.

> >You can marinate the shrimp for an hour at room temperature or two
> >hours in the fridge, turning skewers occasionally.

> >Yield: Makes 6 servings

> >48 uncooked large shrimp, unpeeled, deveined (thawed if frozen)
> >1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
> >2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
> >2 garlic cloves, minced
> >2/3 cup olive oil

> >Thread 4 shrimp on each of 6 metal skewers; place on rimmed baking
> >sheet. Whisk lemon juice, lemon peel, and garlic in medium bowl;
> >slowly whisk in oil. Season marinade with salt and pepper. Pour
> >marinade over skewers, dividing equally.

> >Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). *Grill shrimp until pink on
> >outside and opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side.

> That looks really good. *Snipped and saved, thanks!
>

> sf
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.- Hide quoted text -

You're welcome. It really is good. And super simple!

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

>>The leg sometimes has a gamey taste to it and the buttermilk removes it.
>>

> Ah, so buttermilk is the trick? I do the rest, but not the buttermilk
> part. In the past, I've had to be picky about which country my lamb
> comes from.

With the loin cuts I never use the buttermilk; I guess you could but I don't
think it is needed. Usually, I just grill them with olive oil, rosemary,
and garlic. Sometimes I'll put a few drops of balsamic vinegar on the
plate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kris > wrote:

> Good afternon all,
>
> With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> foodies love to put on the grill.
>
> I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> (shrimp recipe follows). I also will probably do some grilled
> asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.

<snipped yummy shrimp stuff>

> Kris

Sounds good to me! I have to work so won't worry about it. <sigh>

If I had an option for grilling, I'd make kebabs alternating shrimp,
tender beef cubes and mushrooms with a similar recipe, but I'd
pre-marinate the kebabs buried in the marinade sealed in ziplocks until
I was ready to grill, at least for 24 hours. :-)

Another great grilled item are whole marinated portabello mushroom caps.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Good afternon all,
>
> With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> foodies love to put on the grill.
>
> I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> (shrimp recipe follows). I also will probably do some grilled
> asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.
>

> You?

Day 1 Hot Dogs and Burgers - the grandkids are coming. Yea!
Day 2 Ribs (on the smoker)
Day 3 TBD.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 2:11*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Kris > wrote:
> > Good afternon all,

> > With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> > elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> > foodies love to put on the grill.

> > I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> > (shrimp recipe follows). *I also will probably do some grilled
> > asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.

> <snipped yummy shrimp stuff>
>

> > Kris

> Sounds good to me! *I have to work so won't worry about it. <sigh>
>
> If I had an option for grilling, I'd make kebabs alternating shrimp,
> tender beef cubes and mushrooms with a similar recipe, but I'd
> pre-marinate the kebabs buried in the marinade sealed in ziplocks until
> I was ready to grill, at least for 24 hours. :-)
>
> Another great grilled item are whole marinated portabello mushroom caps.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
> It's about learning to dance in the rain.
> -- Anon.
>

> Subscribe:

It's hard to beat kebabs, isn't it?

Sorry you have to work. But you can always grill another day (to
paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara)

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kris > wrote:

> > Sounds good to me! *I have to work so won't worry about it. <sigh>
> >
> > If I had an option for grilling, I'd make kebabs alternating shrimp,
> > tender beef cubes and mushrooms with a similar recipe, but I'd
> > pre-marinate the kebabs buried in the marinade sealed in ziplocks until
> > I was ready to grill, at least for 24 hours. :-)
> >
> > Another great grilled item are whole marinated portabello mushroom caps.

> It's hard to beat kebabs, isn't it?

Too true. <g>
They are popular for guest dinners and potlucks too, and I really don't
find them to be much trouble to prepare.

> Sorry you have to work. But you can always grill another day (to
> paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara)
>
> Kris

Indeed. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 2:17*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message

> > Good afternon all,

> > With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> > elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> > foodies love to put on the grill.

> > I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> > (shrimp recipe follows). *I also will probably do some grilled
> > asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.

> > You?

> Day 1 * *Hot Dogs and Burgers - the grandkids are coming. *Yea!
> Day 2 * *Ribs (on the smoker)
> Day 3 * *TBD.
>
> Dimitri

Maybe you need a seafood grill for Day 3?

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Good afternon all,
>
> With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> foodies love to put on the grill.
>
> I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> (shrimp recipe follows). I also will probably do some grilled
> asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.
>

> You?

250 hot dogs, 100 burgers, 50 pounds of 'tater salad, 70 pounds of baked
beens.
Have no idear what the others are bringing. It's a "Thank You" for the
local troops that are home right now, their families and the families of
those troops that can't be here. Oh, and all the local Veterans, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 11:05*am, "Randy" > wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message

> > Good afternon all,

> > With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> > elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> > foodies love to put on the grill.

> > I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> > (shrimp recipe follows). *I also will probably do some grilled
> > asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.

> > You?

> 250 hot dogs, 100 burgers, 50 pounds of 'tater salad, 70 pounds of baked
> beens.
> Have no idear what the others are bringing. *It's a "Thank You" for the
> local troops that are home right now, their families and the families of
> those troops that can't be here. *Oh, and all the local Veterans, too.

What a great thing to do. I wish you luck with everything.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Randy" > wrote:

> "Kris" > wrote in message
> > Good afternon all,
> >
> > With the holiday weekend (at least in the U.S. - is it Bank Holiday
> > elsewhere?) almost upon us, I was curious to see what my fellow
> > foodies love to put on the grill.
> >
> > I'm leaning towards grilled ribeyes and/or some sort of seafood skewer
> > (shrimp recipe follows). I also will probably do some grilled
> > asparagus and maybe a creamy cucumber salad, since they're in season.
> >

> > You?

> 250 hot dogs, 100 burgers, 50 pounds of 'tater salad, 70 pounds of baked
> beens.
> Have no idear what the others are bringing. It's a "Thank You" for the
> local troops that are home right now, their families and the families of
> those troops that can't be here. Oh, and all the local Veterans, too.

Well done babe! <Applause>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We love to grill corn on the cob. Pull the husk back -- not off --
and remove the silk. Replace the husk and soak the corn in water.
Grill it until you have a few nice brown spots on the corn kernals.

We'll have hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, and
watermelon, too. We might grill some chicken breasts or a beer can
chicken to enjoy over the next few days.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 1:53*pm, Tara > wrote:
> We love to grill corn on the cob. * Pull the husk back -- not off --
> and remove the silk. * Replace the husk and soak the corn in water.
> Grill it until you have a few nice brown spots on the corn kernals.
>
> We'll have hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, and
> watermelon, too. * We might grill some chicken breasts or a beer can
> chicken to enjoy over the next few days.
>
> Tara

Like at the State Fair!

Sounds good,
Kris