Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default samosa's what went wrong?

Hi
Ok I got the hump.
I made up a samosa filling.
Used pre-made samosa/ spring roll pastry sheets.
Then shoved them in hot oil.
Done it before and all worked fine. Used left over pastry that was refrozen
before, no problems.
This time they puffed up and opened up, filling everywhere, well in the pan.
Small blessing.
They also didn't brown as normal.
Same pastry (Wheat flour, veg oil, salt, water it says on the packet).
Used ground nut oil as usual.
So went and bought some new wrappers. Thought maybe it's the freezing. Same
thing.
Only difference was I used lemon juice in the filling instead of mango
powder. Recipe says either.
Any ideas as to why it went wrong?
Cheers Ian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BB" .> wrote in message
> Hi
> Ok I got the hump.
> I made up a samosa filling.
> Used pre-made samosa/ spring roll pastry sheets.
> Then shoved them in hot oil.
> Done it before and all worked fine. Used left over pastry that was
> refrozen before, no problems.
> This time they puffed up and opened up, filling everywhere, well in the
> pan. Small blessing.
> They also didn't brown as normal.
> Same pastry (Wheat flour, veg oil, salt, water it says on the packet).
> Used ground nut oil as usual.
> So went and bought some new wrappers. Thought maybe it's the freezing.
> Same thing.
> Only difference was I used lemon juice in the filling instead of mango
> powder. Recipe says either.
> Any ideas as to why it went wrong?
> Cheers Ian

Ian, sounds to me like perhaps you didn't seal them well enough. I don't
make samosas with spring roll sheets, but when I make wontons, the old
wrapper explosion means I wasn't quite diligent enough in pressing the
wrappers tightly together.

HTH,
TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BB wrote:

> Hi
> Ok I got the hump.
> I made up a samosa filling.
> Used pre-made samosa/ spring roll pastry sheets.
> Then shoved them in hot oil.
> Done it before and all worked fine. Used left over pastry that was refrozen
> before, no problems.
> This time they puffed up and opened up, filling everywhere, well in the pan.
> Small blessing.
> They also didn't brown as normal.
> Same pastry (Wheat flour, veg oil, salt, water it says on the packet).
> Used ground nut oil as usual.
> So went and bought some new wrappers. Thought maybe it's the freezing. Same
> thing.
> Only difference was I used lemon juice in the filling instead of mango
> powder. Recipe says either.
> Any ideas as to why it went wrong?
> Cheers Ian

Too much filling.
Poor sealing.
Too much moisture in the filling; perhaps the lemon juice upset the
equilibrium.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 16:19:02 +0100, "BB" .>
wrote:

>Hi
>Ok I got the hump.
>I made up a samosa filling.
>Used pre-made samosa/ spring roll pastry sheets.
>Then shoved them in hot oil.
>Done it before and all worked fine. Used left over pastry that was refrozen
>before, no problems.
>This time they puffed up and opened up, filling everywhere, well in the pan.

In addition to the other possibilities suggested, particularly the
excess dampness that refrozen pastry can have, if you don't get all the
air out of the wrapping, it will expand and explode.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the ideas.
BB
"Arri London" > wrote in message

> BB wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> Ok I got the hump.
>> I made up a samosa filling.
>> Used pre-made samosa/ spring roll pastry sheets.
>> Then shoved them in hot oil.
>> Done it before and all worked fine. Used left over pastry that was
>> refrozen
>> before, no problems.
>> This time they puffed up and opened up, filling everywhere, well in the
>> pan.
>> Small blessing.
>> They also didn't brown as normal.
>> Same pastry (Wheat flour, veg oil, salt, water it says on the packet).
>> Used ground nut oil as usual.
>> So went and bought some new wrappers. Thought maybe it's the freezing.
>> Same
>> thing.
>> Only difference was I used lemon juice in the filling instead of mango
>> powder. Recipe says either.
>> Any ideas as to why it went wrong?
>> Cheers Ian

> Too much filling.
> Poor sealing.
> Too much moisture in the filling; perhaps the lemon juice upset the
> equilibrium.

Samosa recipe? [email protected] Asian Cooking 5 04-03-2015 12:43 PM
Samosa abdul General Cooking 9 09-04-2012 05:24 AM
Samosa Receipe miljo123 Recipes 0 22-05-2009 03:04 AM
Vegetable Samosa [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-09-2005 11:11 PM
Cocktail Samosa Ronnie Rao General Cooking 0 10-10-2004 05:10 PM