Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The taste of milk

Dan Abel wrote:

> About forty years ago I finally figured out that the cause of my
> occasional "intestinal distress" was milk, so I stopped drinking it,
> and was "cured".

Ha. I grew up drinking milk, and I don't remember it bothering me
until I was in my teens. I was 25 when I finally noticed Hey, a lot of
times when I have milk or cheese, I am in misery within an hour or
two. I still have it once in a while, but not when I've got plans, if you
get my drift.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 22 May 2009 04:47:10a, George Shirley told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 21 May 2009 06:49:53a, James Silverton told us...
>>
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>>> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>>> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>>> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>>> but most things savory do not help.
>>>

>> I have always loathed the taste of every type of milk, even as a child,
>> except for buttermilk. For some reason I have always found buttermilk
>> appealing.
>>

> I quit drinking milk when I was weaned as a small child. My father loved
> buttermilk but I only use it to cook with. Big pone of cornbread last
> night had two cups of buttermilk in it. Cornbread was a side dish for
> Senate Navy bean soup. I make my oatmeal with milk instead of water and
> that's about as close to drinking the white stuff as I get.

George, there is *nothing* like a skillet of southern buttermilk cornbread!
My favorite pairing is with a bowl of Corn, Okra, and Tomato Soup. I also
like cold cornbread broken up in a glass an filled with buttermilk. I only
buy regular whole milk for recipes.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Recipe: A series of step ~by ~step instructions for preparing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Do You Take Your Coffee/Tea? Was: The taste of milk

Damsel wrote on Fri, 22 May 2009 19:53:02 -0500:

>> Are we gonna change this thread to "black vs. cream/sugar in
>> my coffee"?
>>
>> I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!),
>> and last year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and
>> now I don't miss my cream and sugar at all. Of course it
>> helps that I drink really good coffee too, but I always have.
>> I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I should get an ID of
>> "coffee snob"! ;-) )
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No
> sugar, the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't
> believe that God intended coffee to be sweet.

IMHO, *coffee* is freshly made from just-ground beans and the only
possible additive is brown (or turbinado) sugar. With any sort of cream
or milk, like instant coffee made with milk, it is possibly a pleasant
drink but not coffee! I do not willingly drink tea so the question of
milk does not arise.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 7:53*pm, Damsel > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:26:35 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> >Are we gonna change this thread to "black vs. cream/sugar in my
> >coffee"?

> >I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!), and last
> >year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and now I don't miss
> >my cream and sugar at all. Of course it helps that I drink really good
> >coffee too, but I always have. I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I
> >should get an ID of "coffee snob"! ;-) )

> >John Kuthe...

> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer.

Milk and or cream and tiny bit of Splenda. No artificial "creamer."
I like it black too, but not nearly as much.

>*No sugar, the stuff in the creamer is bad enough.

The "creamer" is made with Crisco. It's not fit for human
consumption.

>*I don't believe that God intended coffee to be sweet.

God?

> Carol

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sugar in Coffee? ! Sacrilege!

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:35:23 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>IMHO, *coffee* is freshly made from just-ground beans and the only
>possible additive is brown (or turbinado) sugar. With any sort of cream
>or milk, like instant coffee made with milk, it is possibly a pleasant
>drink but not coffee! I do not willingly drink tea so the question of
>milk does not arise.

Sugar! Sacrilege! Either black or a shot of 18% cream.

Stu

What's the difference between Roast Beef and Pea Soup?
Anyone Can Roast Beef!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bring on the chemicals.

I like my tea with lemon and sugar.

One the rare occasion I drink coffee, cream and sugar.

My wife drinks black coffee and on the rare occasion she has tea, plain
also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:15:02 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

> On May 21, 10:19 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> "Kathleen" > wrote in message
>>
>>> A physician friend of mine postulates that most people who truly despise
>>> milk have at least a mild intolerance - they lack the enzymes to properly
>>> digest the sugars and/or proteins which triggers GI issues (which may be
>>> mild) but their brain still makes the subconscious connection.

>> Could be. I've also heard that the body will crave what it needs to survive
>> so maybe the cheeses and custards make up for the straight milk deficiency.

> Body craves what it needs to survive? Someone please explain to MY
> body that I don't need dark chocolate to survive....
>
> LOL.
>
> N.

ah, but maybe you do. otherwise you might go nuts and murder your husband
and kids.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> About forty years ago I finally figured out that the cause of my
>> occasional "intestinal distress" was milk, so I stopped drinking
>> it,
>> and was "cured".

> Ha. I grew up drinking milk, and I don't remember it bothering me
> until I was in my teens. I was 25 when I finally noticed Hey, a lot
> of times when I have milk or cheese, I am in misery within an hour
> or
> two. I still have it once in a while, but not when I've got plans,
> if you get my drift.
>
> nancy

Nancy and Dan: I love milk but regular milk does a job on my
insides. Try drinking Lactaid, which is milk that is
100% lactose free. Supermarkets carry it. Works for me.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel" > wrote in message

> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
> the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
> intended coffee to be sweet.

Your God, maybe. Not mine. She calls for two sugars to half coffee and half
2% milk. Now there are those who sneer "That ain't coffee", but it gets me
started in the morning and that's all I ask!.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 10:39*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> Bring on the chemicals.
>
> I like my tea with lemon and sugar.
>
> One the rare occasion I drink coffee, cream and sugar.
>
> My wife drinks black coffee and on the rare occasion she has tea, plain
> also.

I also take mine with milk & sugar. I also like my tea strong (I use
PG Tips which gives a strong brew).

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:15:02 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

>> Body craves what it needs to survive? Someone please explain to MY
>> body that I don't need dark chocolate to survive....
>>
>> LOL.
>>
>> N.

I recall a few years back, in January, about 10 PM, temperature about zero,
heading out to the Cumberland Farms store to get my wife a chocolate bar.
Let's just say it made my life easier at that time of the month.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:52:40 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>"Damsel" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
>> the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
>> intended coffee to be sweet.

>Your God, maybe. Not mine. She calls for two sugars to half coffee and half
>2% milk. Now there are those who sneer "That ain't coffee", but it gets me
>started in the morning and that's all I ask!.

Heehee! Maybe I'm so put off by sugar in coffee because you can pour
Crash's coffee over pancakes. I like plenty of milk in my coffee,
too, but probably a little less than you do.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Damsel wrote on Fri, 22 May 2009 19:53:02 -0500:
>
>>> Are we gonna change this thread to "black vs. cream/sugar in
>>> my coffee"?
>>>
>>> I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!),
>>> and last year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and
>>> now I don't miss my cream and sugar at all. Of course it
>>> helps that I drink really good coffee too, but I always have.
>>> I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I should get an ID of
>>> "coffee snob"! ;-) )
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No
>> sugar, the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't
>> believe that God intended coffee to be sweet.

> IMHO, *coffee* is freshly made from just-ground beans and the only
> possible additive is brown (or turbinado) sugar. With any sort of cream or
> milk, like instant coffee made with milk, it is possibly a pleasant drink
> but not coffee! I do not willingly drink tea so the question of milk does
> not arise.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I'm not a coffee nut but when I have it I use the french vanilla creamer. I
like my tea with sweetener and I use 5% 1/2 & 1/2 with it. I also like iced
tea with lemon, sweetened with splenda.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:52:40 -0400, "Felice" >
> wrote:
>>
>>"Damsel" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
>>> the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
>>> intended coffee to be sweet.

>>Your God, maybe. Not mine. She calls for two sugars to half coffee and
>>half
>>2% milk. Now there are those who sneer "That ain't coffee", but it gets me
>>started in the morning and that's all I ask!.

> Heehee! Maybe I'm so put off by sugar in coffee because you can pour
> Crash's coffee over pancakes. I like plenty of milk in my coffee,
> too, but probably a little less than you do.

Actually, since I add heated milk to the hot coffee, I'm probably drinking
cafe au lait. Sounds much more elegant, n'est ce pas?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:26:35 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> Are we gonna change this thread to "black vs. cream/sugar in my
>> coffee"?
>>
>> I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!), and last
>> year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and now I don't miss
>> my cream and sugar at all. Of course it helps that I drink really good
>> coffee too, but I always have. I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I
>> should get an ID of "coffee snob"! ;-) )
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
> the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
> intended coffee to be sweet.

I usually start the day with a latte, but the best of my coffee is drunk
black. I also have tea black, no sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 19:53:02 -0500, Damsel
> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:26:35 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>
>>Are we gonna change this thread to "black vs. cream/sugar in my
>>coffee"?
>>
>>I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!), and last
>>year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and now I don't miss
>>my cream and sugar at all. Of course it helps that I drink really good
>>coffee too, but I always have. I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I
>>should get an ID of "coffee snob"! ;-) )
>>
>>John Kuthe...

>I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
>the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
>intended coffee to be sweet.
>
>Carol

I do like a little sweetener in flavored coffee (vanilla/caramel/
hazelnut preferred), but otherwise my taste is the same as Carol's.
The first cup of the day MUST be un-flavored, medium-strong coffee
with a double dollop of half-n-half. Used to like heavy cream but my
taste is changing; cream mutes the pleasant bitterness of the coffee a
bit too much.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 16:26:34 -0500:

> I do like a little sweetener in flavored coffee
> (vanilla/caramel/ hazelnut preferred), but otherwise my taste
> is the same as Carol's. The first cup of the day MUST be
> un-flavored, medium-strong coffee with a double dollop of
> half-n-half. Used to like heavy cream but my taste is
> changing; cream mutes the pleasant bitterness of the coffee a
> bit too much.

I stay away from flavored coffees, especially allegedly nut types. For
some reason the nut flavor seems to get into my sinuses and the rest of
the coffee that I drink for a day is nut-flavored. Economical perhaps
but not my choice!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:36:55 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>"Damsel" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Heehee! Maybe I'm so put off by sugar in coffee because you can pour
>> Crash's coffee over pancakes. I like plenty of milk in my coffee,
>> too, but probably a little less than you do.

>Actually, since I add heated milk to the hot coffee, I'm probably drinking
>cafe au lait. Sounds much more elegant, n'est ce pas?

Do you have your pinky crooked out so you look fancier, too? ROFL!

Carol, who thinks Felice is very posh!

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:43:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I usually start the day with a latte, but the best of my coffee is drunk
>black. I also have tea black, no sugar.

I like my tea plain, too.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:26:34 -0500, Terry >
wrote:

>I do like a little sweetener in flavored coffee (vanilla/caramel/
>hazelnut preferred), but otherwise my taste is the same as Carol's.
>The first cup of the day MUST be un-flavored, medium-strong coffee
>with a double dollop of half-n-half. Used to like heavy cream but my
>taste is changing; cream mutes the pleasant bitterness of the coffee a
>bit too much.

I still prefer cream, but I can *afford* half-and-half. Heehee!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel wrote:

<snip>

> >I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!), and last
> >year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and now I don't miss
> >my cream and sugar at all. Of course it helps that I drink really good
> >coffee too, but I always have. I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I
> >should get an ID of "coffee snob"! ;-) )
> >
> >John Kuthe...

> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
> the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
> intended coffee to be sweet.
>
> Carol

Black and black. On occasion when regressing to my childhood, tea with
milk. On occasion when in the mood, tea with lemon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:36:55 -0400, "Felice" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Damsel" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Heehee! Maybe I'm so put off by sugar in coffee because you can pour
>>> Crash's coffee over pancakes. I like plenty of milk in my coffee,
>>> too, but probably a little less than you do.

>>Actually, since I add heated milk to the hot coffee, I'm probably drinking
>>cafe au lait. Sounds much more elegant, n'est ce pas?

> Do you have your pinky crooked out so you look fancier, too? ROFL!
>
> Carol, who thinks Felice is very posh!

Oh, absolutely, One of the most posh old bats you've never seen.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:52:40 -0400, Felice wrote:

> "Damsel" > wrote in message
>>
>> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
>> the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
>> intended coffee to be sweet.

> Your God, maybe. Not mine. She calls for two sugars to half coffee and half
> 2% milk. Now there are those who sneer "That ain't coffee", but it gets me
> started in the morning and that's all I ask!.
>
> Felice

as far as i know, coffee 'regular' is still cream and sugar in new york
city.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On May 21, 11:54 am, Kate Connally > wrote:
>> Felice wrote:
>>> Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to try a
>>> splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or cold?
>>> Felice

>> I've done that - hot vanilla milk. Yummy. But I also add some
>> sugar so it's like vanilla hot chocolate without the chocolate.
>> Now I like booze, but not in my milk.

> No White or Black Russians for you then, I take it.

Well, that would be mainly because of the coffee liqueur not the
milk! I *hate* coffee!!!!! And it's actually cream not milk so
that's different also. I like, or at least used to like many
mixed drinks that had cream in them. That's a whole different
animal from whiskey in your milk. ;-)

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 2:19*pm, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:

> I used to know someone who, as a special treat, would drink
> half-and-half.

Me.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 May 2009 12:13:00 -0400, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:

>Well, that would be mainly because of the coffee liqueur not the
>milk! I *hate* coffee!!!!! And it's actually cream not milk so
>that's different also. I like, or at least used to like many
>mixed drinks that had cream in them. That's a whole different
>animal from whiskey in your milk. ;-)

My late FIL used to do that. He invested in Scotch whisky futures,
and they used to send him a case of Glenfiddich yearly. He put
it into cold milk and swore by it. I didn't care for it, but it was
only Glenfiddich, so what the Hell....

Alex, who prefers GlenMorangie, Laphroig and Lagavulin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote on Tue, 26 May 2009 12:10:55 -0500:

> My late FIL used to do that. He invested in Scotch whisky
> futures, and they used to send him a case of Glenfiddich
> yearly. He put it into cold milk and swore by it. I didn't
> care for it, but it was only Glenfiddich, so what the Hell....

>Alex, who prefers GlenMorangie, Laphroig and Lagavulin.

Now you've started a discussion that matters! My favorite malt is Old
Oban but, I'll admit I'm a bit prejudiced since I grew up in the town of
Oban. I'd just as soon avoid Laphroaig :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 May 2009 12:10:55 -0500, Chemiker wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2009 12:13:00 -0400, Kate Connally >
> wrote:
>
>>John Kuthe wrote:

>>Well, that would be mainly because of the coffee liqueur not the
>>milk! I *hate* coffee!!!!! And it's actually cream not milk so
>>that's different also. I like, or at least used to like many
>>mixed drinks that had cream in them. That's a whole different
>>animal from whiskey in your milk. ;-)

> My late FIL used to do that. He invested in Scotch whisky futures,
> and they used to send him a case of Glenfiddich yearly. He put
> it into cold milk and swore by it. I didn't care for it, but it was
> only Glenfiddich, so what the Hell....
>
> Alex, who prefers GlenMorangie, Laphroig and Lagavulin.

did he have an ulcer?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote

> did he have an ulcer?

I recall old guys drinking scotch and milk when I was a corner bar bartender
wayyy back. In Baltimore. In my teens, when nobody really cared about
under-age people serving. That and raw hamburger patties on rye bread with
mustard and thick slices of raw onion. No, I did not eat them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2009 12:10:55 -0500, Chemiker wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 26 May 2009 12:13:00 -0400, Kate Connally >
>>wrote:

>>>Well, that would be mainly because of the coffee liqueur not the
>>>milk! I *hate* coffee!!!!! And it's actually cream not milk so
>>>that's different also. I like, or at least used to like many
>>>mixed drinks that had cream in them. That's a whole different
>>>animal from whiskey in your milk. ;-)

>>My late FIL used to do that. He invested in Scotch whisky futures,
>>and they used to send him a case of Glenfiddich yearly. He put
>>it into cold milk and swore by it. I didn't care for it, but it was
>>only Glenfiddich, so what the Hell....
>>
>>Alex, who prefers GlenMorangie, Laphroig and Lagavulin.

> did he have an ulcer?
>
> your pal,
> blake

My dad used to work with a guy who drank Pepto-Bismol with vodka
"cocktails" when his ulcer flared up.

<blergh>