Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spring cleaning

Don't you love that time of year when the sun comes out and warms things
up, and you open up the windows and air the place out. We have been busy
spring cleaning and we are now in the last minute rush to get everything
clean and tidy before a rush of guests. It never rains but it pours.

My wife's old college roommate called back in February to ask if she
could come and visit. She lives near San Francisco and they haven't seen
each other in years. She had said late May or June. She called the other
day to say that she would be coming today and is staying until Saturday,
the day my wife has her school reunion. While her visit was still not
scheduled, my sister in law called and asked if they could come on
Friday and stay over night because her husband has a university reunion
near here on Saturday. So we will have one guest for four nights and
then another two on the last one. Everyone heads out Saturday morning,
and my wife won't be home until late Saturday night.

Meanwhile, I have been contacted by a Danish journalist who wants to
come and interview me and my brothers. He is flying in Saturday night
and arriving here Sunday morning. He is working on a documentary about
my father, who was shot down over Denmark during the war and the first
Allied airman to escape from occupied Denmark over to Sweden.

Sometime this week I have to go to my parent's old house and talk to the
new owners to get permission to go there to get some shots and
interviews in front of the house where Dad lived most of his life.

Other than preparing dinner, my work is almost done. I have been
cleaning the windows. I have done everything that I can do on the
inside. Now I just have to get a ladder out of the barn and climb up to
do the outside portions of bedrooms, bathroom and TV room upstairs, and
some on the ground floor. Once that is done I have to go on weed
patrol. I have a pernicious creeping weed that keeps popping up all
over, and I am cursing the new ban on weed killer :-(

So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
> Don't you love that time of year when the sun comes out and warms things
> up, and you open up the windows and air the place out. We have been busy
> spring cleaning and we are now in the last minute rush to get everything
> clean and tidy before a rush of guests. It never rains but it pours.

It's raining right now. It has been raining constantly since Sunday
afternoon. I just saw some old guy walking down the street with a pair of
animals. Woops, there he is again, with a different animal pair.
My neighbor called and said some old guy had parked a very large wooden boat
on their property and he was filling it up with animals.
I wonder when this rain will end...

> My wife's old college roommate called back in February to ask if she could
> come and visit. She lives near San Francisco and they haven't seen each
> other in years. She had said late May or June. She called the other day to
> say that she would be coming today and is staying until Saturday, the day
> my wife has her school reunion. While her visit was still not scheduled,
> my sister in law called and asked if they could come on Friday and stay
> over night because her husband has a university reunion near here on
> Saturday. So we will have one guest for four nights and then another two
> on the last one. Everyone heads out Saturday morning, and my wife won't
> be home until late Saturday night.

Sounds like fun. NOT!

> Meanwhile, I have been contacted by a Danish journalist who wants to come
> and interview me and my brothers. He is flying in Saturday night and
> arriving here Sunday morning. He is working on a documentary about my
> father, who was shot down over Denmark during the war and the first Allied
> airman to escape from occupied Denmark over to Sweden.
>
> Sometime this week I have to go to my parent's old house and talk to the
> new owners to get permission to go there to get some shots and interviews
> in front of the house where Dad lived most of his life.
>
> Other than preparing dinner, my work is almost done. I have been cleaning
> the windows. I have done everything that I can do on the inside. Now I
> just have to get a ladder out of the barn and climb up to do the outside
> portions of bedrooms, bathroom and TV room upstairs, and some on the
> ground floor. Once that is done I have to go on weed patrol. I have a
> pernicious creeping weed that keeps popping up all over, and I am cursing
> the new ban on weed killer :-(
>

> So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
> custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
> going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Don't you love that time of year when the sun comes out and warms
> things up, and you open up the windows and air the place out. We have
> been busy spring cleaning and we are now in the last minute rush to
> get everything clean and tidy before a rush of guests. It never rains
> but it pours.

<snipping huge number of chores>

Holy Crow, Dave! You're a machine. How fascinating about the story
on your father, that's cool. I wonder if it will be available in English as
my Danish is rusty (harr).

I hope your guests keep themselves busy and keep you entertained
in between.

> So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
> custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
> going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

I was patting myself on the back for planting dozens of flowers. Big
whoop. Very late this year due to rainy weather messing me up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 11:22:23 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>>So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
>>custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
>>going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

> What are you going to feed all your guests?

He's gonna pass around that pernicious weed of course.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Holy Crow, Dave! You're a machine. How fascinating about the story
> on your father, that's cool. I wonder if it will be available in
> English as
> my Danish is rusty (harr).

Here's a link to the story in English if you are interested.

> I hope your guests keep themselves busy and keep you entertained
> in between.

I am counting on my wife entertaining her friend. I don't need to worry
about entertaining my brother in law. Stick a drink in his hand and sit
back and listen to him. he can talk for hours, and is very
entertaining. He and SiL are only here for dinner on Friday and leaving
first thing in the morning.

>> So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
>> custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
>> going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

> I was patting myself on the back for planting dozens of flowers. Big
> whoop. Very late this year due to rainy weather messing me up.

I did that on Saturday. May 24 weekend is usually considered the safe
time to plant here and not have to worry about frost. Except that May 24
weekend was this past weekend and we had frost on Sunday night (Monday
morning) :-( Most of the stuff survived, but one geranium and some
marigolds were damaged. Oddly, other germaniums and marigolds just a
few feet away were unharmed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 19 May 2009 08:22:23a, Dave Smith told us...

> Don't you love that time of year when the sun comes out and warms things
> up, and you open up the windows and air the place out. We have been busy
> spring cleaning and we are now in the last minute rush to get everything
> clean and tidy before a rush of guests. It never rains but it pours.

Not where I'm at, Dave. We haven't had a day under 105°F in two weeks. Not
exactly a time to throw open the doors and windows and air out anything. :-)
This year it seems we went directly from "winter" to summer. Our house is
sealed tight as a drum with electronic air filters installed in the
heating/cooling system.

The documentary you mentioned sounds like it will be very interesting.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I don't think America will have really made it until we have our

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Holy Crow, Dave! You're a machine. How fascinating about the story
>> on your father, that's cool. I wonder if it will be available in English
>> as
>> my Danish is rusty (harr).
>>

> Here's a link to the story in English if you are interested.
>
>> I hope your guests keep themselves busy and keep you entertained
>> in between.

> I am counting on my wife entertaining her friend. I don't need to worry
> about entertaining my brother in law. Stick a drink in his hand and sit
> back and listen to him. he can talk for hours, and is very entertaining.
> He and SiL are only here for dinner on Friday and leaving first thing in
> the morning.
>

>>> So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
>>> custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
>>> going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

>> I was patting myself on the back for planting dozens of flowers. Big
>> whoop. Very late this year due to rainy weather messing me up.

> I did that on Saturday. May 24 weekend is usually considered the safe
> time to plant here and not have to worry about frost. Except that May 24
> weekend was this past weekend and we had frost on Sunday night (Monday
> morning) :-( Most of the stuff survived, but one geranium and some
> marigolds were damaged. Oddly, other germaniums and marigolds just a few
> feet away were unharmed.

I'm just a little peeved that the May 24th weekend wasn't actually held on
that w/e considering the 24th is this coming Sunday!

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Don't you love that time of year when the sun comes out and warms things
> up, and you open up the windows and air the place out. We have been busy
> spring cleaning and we are now in the last minute rush to get everything
> clean and tidy before a rush of guests. It never rains but it pours.
>
> My wife's old college roommate called back in February to ask if she
> could come and visit. She lives near San Francisco and they haven't seen
> each other in years. She had said late May or June. She called the other
> day to say that she would be coming today and is staying until Saturday,
> the day my wife has her school reunion. While her visit was still not
> scheduled, my sister in law called and asked if they could come on
> Friday and stay over night because her husband has a university reunion
> near here on Saturday. So we will have one guest for four nights and
> then another two on the last one. Everyone heads out Saturday morning,
> and my wife won't be home until late Saturday night.
>
> Meanwhile, I have been contacted by a Danish journalist who wants to
> come and interview me and my brothers. He is flying in Saturday night
> and arriving here Sunday morning. He is working on a documentary about
> my father, who was shot down over Denmark during the war and the first
> Allied airman to escape from occupied Denmark over to Sweden.
>
> Sometime this week I have to go to my parent's old house and talk to the
> new owners to get permission to go there to get some shots and
> interviews in front of the house where Dad lived most of his life.
>
> Other than preparing dinner, my work is almost done. I have been
> cleaning the windows. I have done everything that I can do on the
> inside. Now I just have to get a ladder out of the barn and climb up to
> do the outside portions of bedrooms, bathroom and TV room upstairs, and
> some on the ground floor. Once that is done I have to go on weed
> patrol. I have a pernicious creeping weed that keeps popping up all
> over, and I am cursing the new ban on weed killer :-(
>

> So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
> custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
> going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

Very cool that you are to be interviewed, Dave!

I love this time (about to be over for at least a few days in the
Boston area), when one needs neither heating nor ACing. I won't
speak of the cleaning part.

I wonder whether your pernicious weed is the one I am battling:
garlic mustard. I don't use pesticides or herbicides, so I spend
considerable time pulling it up and bagging it.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rooney wrote:
> It's raining right now. It has been raining constantly since Sunday
> afternoon. I just saw some old guy walking down the street with a pair of
> animals. Woops, there he is again, with a different animal pair.
> My neighbor called and said some old guy had parked a very large wooden boat
> on their property and he was filling it up with animals.
> I wonder when this rain will end...

Sounds like the reports I am hearing from some Floridians. Are
you going to board the ark?
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Holy Crow, Dave! You're a machine. How fascinating about the story
>> on your father, that's cool. I wonder if it will be available in
>> English as
>> my Danish is rusty (harr).
>>

> Here's a link to the story in English if you are interested.
>
>> I hope your guests keep themselves busy and keep you entertained
>> in between.

> I am counting on my wife entertaining her friend. I don't need to worry
> about entertaining my brother in law. Stick a drink in his hand and sit
> back and listen to him. he can talk for hours, and is very
> entertaining. He and SiL are only here for dinner on Friday and leaving
> first thing in the morning.
>

>>> So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
>>> custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
>>> going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

>> I was patting myself on the back for planting dozens of flowers. Big
>> whoop. Very late this year due to rainy weather messing me up.

> I did that on Saturday. May 24 weekend is usually considered the safe
> time to plant here and not have to worry about frost. Except that May 24
> weekend was this past weekend and we had frost on Sunday night (Monday
> morning) :-( Most of the stuff survived, but one geranium and some
> marigolds were damaged. Oddly, other germaniums and marigolds just a
> few feet away were unharmed.

I'm surprised. Here the rule was always after Memorial Day
weekend--and THAT was at the end of the month, unlike now. I
don't know how cold it was, because I got up later than usual this
morning. At that point, it was 37F--but then I observed that the
temperature rose 3 degrees in very few minutes, so it must have
been at least several degrees colder.

I carted in all but my rhubarb and put off getting my other tomato
plants until today.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Not where I'm at, Dave. We haven't had a day under 105°F in two weeks. Not
> exactly a time to throw open the doors and windows and air out anything. :-)
> This year it seems we went directly from "winter" to summer. Our house is
> sealed tight as a drum with electronic air filters installed in the
> heating/cooling system.
>
> The documentary you mentioned sounds like it will be very interesting.

Oh ugh! I hate it when it skips spring (or fall).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Holy Crow, Dave! You're a machine. How fascinating about the story
>> on your father, that's cool. I wonder if it will be available in
>> English as
>> my Danish is rusty (harr).
>>

> Here's a link to the story in English if you are interested.

I am, let me know the link when the story's written?

>> I was patting myself on the back for planting dozens of flowers. Big
>> whoop. Very late this year due to rainy weather messing me up.

> I did that on Saturday. May 24 weekend is usually considered the safe
> time to plant here and not have to worry about frost. Except that May
> 24 weekend was this past weekend and we had frost on Sunday night
> (Monday morning) :-( Most of the stuff survived, but one geranium
> and some marigolds were damaged. Oddly, other germaniums and
> marigolds just a few feet away were unharmed.

Argh. There's always some that don't make it, or at least never
really thrive. I didn't realize what a rough winter it was, I lost a lot
of stuff I depended on to come back. Spring hasn't been all that
dependable, either. I hope we have a few good days at last. I'm
sure I don't have to worry about frost.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

>> I did that on Saturday. May 24 weekend is usually considered the safe
>> time to plant here and not have to worry about frost. Except that May
>> 24 weekend was this past weekend and we had frost on Sunday night
>> (Monday morning) :-( Most of the stuff survived, but one geranium
>> and some marigolds were damaged. Oddly, other germaniums and
>> marigolds just a few feet away were unharmed.

> Argh. There's always some that don't make it, or at least never really
> thrive. I didn't realize what a rough winter it was, I lost a lot
> of stuff I depended on to come back. Spring hasn't been all that
> dependable, either. I hope we have a few good days at last. I'm sure I
> don't have to worry about frost.

It did seem like a long winter, and things aren't warming up that much.
I think I lost a shrub. I don't know what the name is but it has green
leaves and then turns bright red later in the summer. It has been there
for at least 5 years. I just noticed today that all the branches are
dead. There is one little green sprig at the bottom. Maybe I can lop off
the top and hope that one branch is the beginning of a revival.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 11:39*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Don't you love that time of year when the sun comes out and warms things
> > up, and you open up the windows and air the place out. We have been busy
> > spring cleaning and we are now in the last minute rush to get everything
> > clean and tidy before a rush of guests. It never rains but it pours.

> > My wife's old college roommate called back in February to ask if she
> > could come and visit. She lives near San Francisco and they haven't seen
> > each other in years. She had said late May or June. She called the other
> > day to say that she would be coming today and is staying until Saturday,
> > the day my wife has her school reunion. *While her visit was still not
> > scheduled, my sister in law called and asked if they could come on
> > Friday and stay over night because her husband has a university reunion
> > near here on Saturday. So we will have one guest for four nights and
> > then another two on the last one. *Everyone heads out Saturday morning,
> > and my wife won't be home until late Saturday night.

> > Meanwhile, I have been contacted by a Danish journalist who wants to
> > come and interview me and my brothers. He is flying in Saturday night
> > and arriving here Sunday morning. He is working on a documentary about
> > my father, who was shot down over Denmark during the war and the first
> > Allied airman to escape from occupied Denmark over to Sweden.

> > Sometime this week I have to go to my parent's old house and talk to the
> > new owners to get permission to go there to get some shots and
> > interviews in front of the house where Dad lived most of his life.

> > Other than preparing dinner, my work is almost done. I have been
> > cleaning the windows. I have done everything that I can do on the
> > inside. Now I just have to get a ladder out of the barn and climb up to
> > do the outside portions of bedrooms, bathroom and TV room upstairs, and
> > some on the ground floor. *Once that is done I have to go on weed
> > patrol. I have a pernicious creeping weed that keeps popping up all
> > over, *and I am cursing the new ban on weed killer *:-(

> > So it is a hectic day here. *Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
> > custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
> > going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

> Very cool that you are to be interviewed, Dave!
>
> I love this time (about to be over for at least a few days in the
> Boston area), when one needs neither heating nor ACing. *I won't
> speak of the cleaning part.
>
> I wonder whether your pernicious weed is the one I am battling:
> garlic mustard. *I don't use pesticides or herbicides, so I spend
> considerable time pulling it up and bagging it.
>
> --
> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

Have you tried straight vinegar in a spray bottle on your weeds? Works
great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Merryb wrote:
> On May 19, 11:39 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Don't you love that time of year when the sun comes out and warms things
>>> up, and you open up the windows and air the place out. We have been busy
>>> spring cleaning and we are now in the last minute rush to get everything
>>> clean and tidy before a rush of guests. It never rains but it pours.
>>> My wife's old college roommate called back in February to ask if she
>>> could come and visit. She lives near San Francisco and they haven't seen
>>> each other in years. She had said late May or June. She called the other
>>> day to say that she would be coming today and is staying until Saturday,
>>> the day my wife has her school reunion. While her visit was still not
>>> scheduled, my sister in law called and asked if they could come on
>>> Friday and stay over night because her husband has a university reunion
>>> near here on Saturday. So we will have one guest for four nights and
>>> then another two on the last one. Everyone heads out Saturday morning,
>>> and my wife won't be home until late Saturday night.
>>> Meanwhile, I have been contacted by a Danish journalist who wants to
>>> come and interview me and my brothers. He is flying in Saturday night
>>> and arriving here Sunday morning. He is working on a documentary about
>>> my father, who was shot down over Denmark during the war and the first
>>> Allied airman to escape from occupied Denmark over to Sweden.
>>> Sometime this week I have to go to my parent's old house and talk to the
>>> new owners to get permission to go there to get some shots and
>>> interviews in front of the house where Dad lived most of his life.
>>> Other than preparing dinner, my work is almost done. I have been
>>> cleaning the windows. I have done everything that I can do on the
>>> inside. Now I just have to get a ladder out of the barn and climb up to
>>> do the outside portions of bedrooms, bathroom and TV room upstairs, and
>>> some on the ground floor. Once that is done I have to go on weed
>>> patrol. I have a pernicious creeping weed that keeps popping up all
>>> over, and I am cursing the new ban on weed killer :-(
>>> So it is a hectic day here. Food related..... I have baked a rhubarb
>>> custard pie for dessert for tonight. I have a chunk of pork which I am
>>> going to cube and marinate to make slouvaki for dinner.

>> Very cool that you are to be interviewed, Dave!
>>
>> I love this time (about to be over for at least a few days in the
>> Boston area), when one needs neither heating nor ACing. I won't
>> speak of the cleaning part.
>>
>> I wonder whether your pernicious weed is the one I am battling:
>> garlic mustard. I don't use pesticides or herbicides, so I spend
>> considerable time pulling it up and bagging it.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

> Have you tried straight vinegar in a spray bottle on your weeds? Works
> great!

That sounds better for areas that don't have desired vegetation in
them. Pulling might be just as easy.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 19 May 2009 11:57:32a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Not where I'm at, Dave. We haven't had a day under 105°F in two weeks.
>> Not exactly a time to throw open the doors and windows and air out
>> anything. :-) This year it seems we went directly from "winter" to
>> summer. Our house is sealed tight as a drum with electronic air
>> filters installed in the heating/cooling system.
>>
>> The documentary you mentioned sounds like it will be very interesting.
>>

> Oh ugh! I hate it when it skips spring (or fall).

We've been on average about 10 degrees above normal the entire month of May,
and I'm wondering what June has in store for us, since that's usually one of
our worst months.

--
Wayne Boatwright
A three ~year ~old gave this reaction to her Christmas dinner: "I

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Argh. There's always some that don't make it, or at least never
>> really thrive. I didn't realize what a rough winter it was, I lost
>> a lot
>> of stuff I depended on to come back. Spring hasn't been all that
>> dependable, either. I hope we have a few good days at last. I'm
>> sure I don't have to worry about frost.

> It did seem like a long winter, and things aren't warming up that
> much. I think I lost a shrub. I don't know what the name is but it
> has green leaves and then turns bright red later in the summer. It
> has been there for at least 5 years. I just noticed today that all
> the branches are dead.

Maybe a burning bush. I lost a boxwood, and a second one is
about a third dead. I notice as I drove around that a lot of boxwood
had dead spots. I think it's because the winter was so dry, we didn't
get much precip at all. I don't know what it was like where you live,
of course.

>There is one little green sprig at the bottom.
> Maybe I can lop off the top and hope that one branch is the beginning
> of a revival.

Oh, I lost an azalea, too ... except one little branch. Same thing, I
pruned all the dead wood and the one little branch remaining is
flowering and growing leaves. We'll see.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 19 May 2009 11:57:32a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Not where I'm at, Dave. We haven't had a day under 105°F in two weeks.
>>> Not exactly a time to throw open the doors and windows and air out
>>> anything. :-) This year it seems we went directly from "winter" to
>>> summer. Our house is sealed tight as a drum with electronic air
>>> filters installed in the heating/cooling system.
>>>
>>> The documentary you mentioned sounds like it will be very interesting.
>>>

>> Oh ugh! I hate it when it skips spring (or fall).
>>

> We've been on average about 10 degrees above normal the entire month of May,
> and I'm wondering what June has in store for us, since that's usually one of
> our worst months.

I have learned not to extrapolate from winter to summer or summer
to winter, but this seems different. I hope not though.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 14:06:36 -0400, Debbie wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> m...

>> I did that on Saturday. May 24 weekend is usually considered the safe
>> time to plant here and not have to worry about frost. Except that May 24
>> weekend was this past weekend and we had frost on Sunday night (Monday
>> morning) :-( Most of the stuff survived, but one geranium and some
>> marigolds were damaged. Oddly, other germaniums and marigolds just a few
>> feet away were unharmed.
>>

> I'm just a little peeved that the May 24th weekend wasn't actually held on
> that w/e considering the 24th is this coming Sunday!
>
> Debbie

first they change the clocks, and now they're changing the calendar. where
will it all end?

your concerned pal,
blake