Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What happened to Rec.Food.Reipes?

In article >,
Mack A. Damia > wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2009 08:22:42 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> >(snip)
> >> Mere lists of ingredients and steps to prepare a dish obviously cannot
> >> be copyrighted. Don't copy the recipe word-for-word and you'll be
> >> safe.
> >>
> >> Wordy recipes annoy me anyway!
> >> --
> >> mad

> >If by "wordy" you mean explicitly worded, with all steps thoroughly
> >described, IMNSHO that has to be because fewer and fewer young people
> >are being taught basic cooking information and need detailed
> >information. If that is not what you mean, what do you mean? :-)

> Basically, poorly written explanations (anything, really,including
> recipes and instructions).

I could tell you a good story about editing a cookbook. <g>

> For example, may websites are designed and written by "techies" and
> not English majors; consequently, as you know - many of them can be
> downright confusing and frustrating to navigate.

I guess I haven't experienced that to the degree of frustration with a
site.

> This has been a citicism for as long as I can remember. Same thing
> with recipes. Mainly food people write them and not "writers".

That's a fact. Ann Burckhardt was worth her weight in gold when she
edited the Minneapolis Star Tribune's Taste section--she has backgrounds
in journalism and in Home Ec.

> Not all the time, of course, but I encounter confusing instructions,
> etc. failry often. Part of the "dumbing" down of society.

And/or careless editing and/or proofreading.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 08:22:42 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>(snip)
>> Mere lists of ingredients and steps to prepare a dish obviously cannot
>> be copyrighted. Don't copy the recipe word-for-word and you'll be
>> safe.
>>
>> Wordy recipes annoy me anyway!
>> --
>> mad

>If by "wordy" you mean explicitly worded, with all steps thoroughly
>described, IMNSHO that has to be because fewer and fewer young people
>are being taught basic cooking information and need detailed
>information. If that is not what you mean, what do you mean? :-)

I have started to post some recipes and looked at the instruction.
Very basic. Decided I did not want to rewrite the instructions so did
not post.

I think that many of us could do a credible job of a dish with just
the ingredients and a hint of how it should turn out.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:16:34 -0700, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2009 08:22:42 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>>(snip)
>>> Mere lists of ingredients and steps to prepare a dish obviously cannot
>>> be copyrighted. Don't copy the recipe word-for-word and you'll be
>>> safe.
>>>
>>> Wordy recipes annoy me anyway!
>>> --
>>> mad

>>If by "wordy" you mean explicitly worded, with all steps thoroughly
>>described, IMNSHO that has to be because fewer and fewer young people
>>are being taught basic cooking information and need detailed
>>information. If that is not what you mean, what do you mean? :-)

> Basically, poorly written explanations (anything, really,including
> recipes and instructions).
>
> For example, may websites are designed and written by "techies" and
> not English majors; consequently, as you know - many of them can be
> downright confusing and frustrating to navigate.
>
> This has been a citicism for as long as I can remember. Same thing
> with recipes. Mainly food people write them and not "writers".
>
> Not all the time, of course, but I encounter confusing instructions,
> etc. failry often. Part of the "dumbing" down of society.

i wouldn't say it's the 'dumbing down of society.' writing clear, concise
directions for anything is a difficult thing to do, and that skill is not
very highly paid, whatever the subject.

try writing directions for anything that you do without having to think
about it much. the odds are great you will leave out something, or write
something with a great deal of ambiguity.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 17:13:24 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:16:34 -0700, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 May 2009 08:22:42 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>In article >,
>>> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>>>(snip)

>>>If by "wordy" you mean explicitly worded, with all steps thoroughly
>>>described, IMNSHO that has to be because fewer and fewer young people
>>>are being taught basic cooking information and need detailed
>>>information. If that is not what you mean, what do you mean? :-)

>> Basically, poorly written explanations (anything, really,including
>> recipes and instructions).
>>
>> For example, may websites are designed and written by "techies" and
>> not English majors; consequently, as you know - many of them can be
>> downright confusing and frustrating to navigate.
>>
>> This has been a citicism for as long as I can remember. Same thing
>> with recipes. Mainly food people write them and not "writers".
>>
>> Not all the time, of course, but I encounter confusing instructions,
>> etc. failry often. Part of the "dumbing" down of society.

>i wouldn't say it's the 'dumbing down of society.' writing clear, concise
>directions for anything is a difficult thing to do, and that skill is not
>very highly paid, whatever the subject.
>
>try writing directions for anything that you do without having to think
>about it much. the odds are great you will leave out something, or write
>something with a great deal of ambiguity.
>
>your pal,
>blake

It's about care and expression. Considering the mechanics of writing,
when I was taught to write, it was with pen, ink and well. We got a
piece of bloting paper, too - and woe betide you, if you dulled the
"nib" too quickly - or messed up your square of blotting paper too
quickly!

Arithmetic "sums", too. In ink.

A few raps across the knuckles, and you start being more careful? Eh?

Not suggesting that we return to those days, but it's about
"self-discipline". Kids these days don't seem to understand the
importance of speaking clearly, listening and writing concisely.
Communication skills.

Read Churchill to find out how to write. Start with simple sentences
and connect them. Gradually improve your vocabularly.

Like most things, a conscious decision has to be made and followed
through, so instill children with self-discipline.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2009 11:17:11 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> >> Didn't get any invites to the moment. Unmung gmail or use the one we
> >> correspond through.

> >Ok, pulled this link from the home page:
> >

> >Hope that helps?

> Well, I'm getting farther today. The "link" is still not valid and I
> guess I'm waiting for *something* to come to my pipeline address or
> maybe it's Yahoo. I checked suspect mail but nothing was waiting for
> me there or in known spam, so I guess whatever it is got lost in
> cyberspace - like your invitations. I have no idea how to check Yahoo
> mail.

I used a seldom used moderator option and added you direct.
You are now listed in the directory.

You should be able to post now and receive it thru gmail.

I'd never do this without a direct request or obvious interest. <g>

The list e-mail is and it should come
directly to your gmail address like it does to mine.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >> There are so many of them!!!!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > According to giganews. there are over 80,000 newsgroups too. <g>

> Lucky I am semi-selective then.

<laughs> I subscribe to 9 and ignore some of them if I don't have the
time to look at them!

I've actually had people from the neglected lists hunt me down when they
missed me. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> According to giganews. there are over 80,000 newsgroups too. <g>

>> Lucky I am semi-selective then.

> <laughs> I subscribe to 9 and ignore some of them if I don't have the
> time to look at them!
>

> I've actually had people from the neglected lists hunt me down when they
> missed me. ;-)

They must like you!

I belong to 22 groups right now, 4 of which seem to be moribund.
There are several I pay little attention to.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> >> Lucky I am semi-selective then.

> > <laughs> I subscribe to 9 and ignore some of them if I don't have the
> > time to look at them!
> >

> > I've actually had people from the neglected lists hunt me down when they
> > missed me. ;-)

> They must like you!

It was a gent' from one of the gardening lists. I was flattered. <g>
I also got e-mailed from tx.guns to make sure I was still alive and
breathing.

> I belong to 22 groups right now, 4 of which seem to be moribund.
> There are several I pay little attention to.

So many newsgroups, so little time! ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 13:06:32 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 May 2009 11:17:11 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>> >Ok, pulled this link from the home page:
>> >

>> >Hope that helps?

>> Well, I'm getting farther today. The "link" is still not valid and I
>> guess I'm waiting for *something* to come to my pipeline address or
>> maybe it's Yahoo. I checked suspect mail but nothing was waiting for
>> me there or in known spam, so I guess whatever it is got lost in
>> cyberspace - like your invitations. I have no idea how to check Yahoo
>> mail.

>I used a seldom used moderator option and added you direct.
>You are now listed in the directory.
>
>You should be able to post now and receive it thru gmail.
>
>I'd never do this without a direct request or obvious interest. <g>
>
>The list e-mail is and it should come
>directly to your gmail address like it does to mine.

Thanks Om! Can I look forward to a digest today or in a week?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2009 13:06:32 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> >> Well, I'm getting farther today. The "link" is still not valid and I
> >> guess I'm waiting for *something* to come to my pipeline address or
> >> maybe it's Yahoo. I checked suspect mail but nothing was waiting for
> >> me there or in known spam, so I guess whatever it is got lost in
> >> cyberspace - like your invitations. I have no idea how to check Yahoo
> >> mail.

> >I used a seldom used moderator option and added you direct.
> >You are now listed in the directory.
> >
> >You should be able to post now and receive it thru gmail.
> >
> >I'd never do this without a direct request or obvious interest. <g>
> >
> >The list e-mail is and it should come
> >directly to your gmail address like it does to mine.

> Thanks Om! Can I look forward to a digest today or in a week?

I set you up for individual e-mails. Would you prefer to be set for
digest? There have been a couple of posts today about bean soup.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 21:05:25 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>I set you up for individual e-mails. Would you prefer to be set for
>digest? There have been a couple of posts today about bean soup.

I saw the bean soup recipes, but a weekly digest would be great -
thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to get back to the web site again, so
I won't need a digest in the future.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Can you please send me an invite to

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Can you please send me an invite to

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> > Sounds to me like the new moderator is not doing his/her job.

>> (laugh) I started to put it that way, but I figured it would sound
>> insulting.
>> But it seems to me that the moderator is not doing the job of going
>> through the postings and letting some through.
>>
>> Apparently if you want to kill a moderated group for some reason,
>> get yourself appointed to the job.
>>
>> > I'm still up for it if they are interested.

>> I think you'd do a good job, though some changes would have to be
>> made for me to be interested in the group.
>>
>> nancy

> <shrugs> It's up to the current list owner at this point.
> I just set up one on Yahoo groups if anyone else other than Jean is
> interested.
> --
> Peace! Om

I did too! Not getting much movement

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>

>> It still isn't in my list of yahoo groups, nor is it coming up in
>> a search of new recipe-related groups. Odd.

> Sending you an invite to .
> --
> Peace! Om

could you send an invite to
for me. thanks

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 13:07:40 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> According to giganews. there are over 80,000 newsgroups too. <g>

>> Lucky I am semi-selective then.

> <laughs> I subscribe to 9 and ignore some of them if I don't have the
> time to look at them!
>
> I've actually had people from the neglected lists hunt me down when they
> missed me. ;-)

with what kind of rifle?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2009 21:05:25 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I set you up for individual e-mails. Would you prefer to be set for
> >digest? There have been a couple of posts today about bean soup.

> I saw the bean soup recipes, but a weekly digest would be great -
> thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to get back to the web site again, so
> I won't need a digest in the future.

I'll fix the other address...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"mom peagram" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Jean B." > wrote:
> >

> >> It still isn't in my list of yahoo groups, nor is it coming up in
> >> a search of new recipe-related groups. Odd.

> > Sending you an invite to .
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> could you send an invite to
for me. thanks

I see you already there. Thanks for the recipes. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"mom peagram" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article
> > >,
> > wrote:

> >> I can't see it either, when I do a search for it.
> >>
> >> A suggestion...when you are at the home page, copy the link and post
> >> it here. Then it should be easy to find. I have been a yahoo groups
> >> member for over 10 years, and that seems to be the best solution on
> >> how to find a group..
> >>
> >> Also, you can put the link in your signature.
> >>
> >> Christine

> > I see you there, thanks for the link:

> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >
> > Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
> > It's about learning to dance in the rain.
> > -- Anon.

> I just joined Om, you should have your member list hidden so it can't be
> used for spam.

Thanks for the hint! I'll take a look at that option...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"mom peagram" > wrote:

> I just joined Om, you should have your member list hidden so it can't be
> used for spam.

Ok, I can't seem to find an option for doing that.

Help please?
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> > <laughs> I subscribe to 9 and ignore some of them if I don't have the
> > time to look at them!
> >
> > I've actually had people from the neglected lists hunt me down when they
> > missed me. ;-)

> with what kind of rifle?
>
> your pal,
> blake

A virtual one of course!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2009 10:51:27 -0400, "mom peagram" >
wrote:

>> <shrugs> It's up to the current list owner at this point.
>> I just set up one on Yahoo groups if anyone else other than Jean is
>> interested.
>> --
>> Peace! Om

>I did too! Not getting much movement

You set up a different Yahoo cooking group from Om's?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

What's happened to rec.food.baking? Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 22-01-2010 01:18 AM
rec.food.historic what happened to it? Martin S General Cooking 17 11-08-2008 10:53 PM
Ever tried a Indian/Pakistani Reipes? betatech General Cooking 0 22-02-2005 11:17 AM
Whatever happened to BigDog Barbecue 17 13-11-2004 12:27 AM
what happened to alt.food.binaries? Judy Cosler Barbecue 2 10-10-2004 04:07 AM