Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat sauce

For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of Cow (
boneless chuck USDA Select).

We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.

I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just accept)
used to put than left over meat in her Pasta sauce.

OK so out cam the big knife the chunk of cow was now strips.

I took & smashed a few cloves of garlic, browned them in some EVOO added a
diced onion and sautéed lightly and then added the cow strips. (left over
pot roast) To this I added a handful of Italian herb mix, some salt and
pepper, about 1.5 cups of the left over gravy (waste not want not) a large
can of Marinara Sauce (TJ'S) a large can of diced tomatoes, juice and all
and a 16 Oz can of tomato juice.

Simmer, simmer, get out the potato masher and mash the meat strips, simmer,
simmer, Mash and simmer some mash some more.

By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to tell
you the home crowd raved and I did too.

This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.

Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast -
make sauce.

Enjoy

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri said...

> For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of Cow
> ( boneless chuck USDA Select).
>
> We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.
>
> I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just
> accept) used to put than left over meat in her Pasta sauce.
>
> OK so out cam the big knife the chunk of cow was now strips.
>
> I took & smashed a few cloves of garlic, browned them in some EVOO
> added a diced onion and sautéed lightly and then added the cow strips.
> (left over pot roast) To this I added a handful of Italian herb mix,
> some salt and pepper, about 1.5 cups of the left over gravy (waste not
> want not) a large can of Marinara Sauce (TJ'S) a large can of diced
> tomatoes, juice and all and a 16 Oz can of tomato juice.
>
> Simmer, simmer, get out the potato masher and mash the meat strips,
> simmer, simmer, Mash and simmer some mash some more.
>
> By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to
> tell you the home crowd raved and I did too.
>
> This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.
>
> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast
> - make sauce.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri,

An Italian Sloppy Joe on a bun or did you serve it in a pasta dish? You
didn't say.

Sounds delicious with the only possible exception that USDA select is a
lesser grade than choice.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 7:44*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of *a 5 pound chunk of Cow (
> boneless chuck USDA Select).
>
> We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.
>
> I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just accept)
> used to put than left over meat in her Pasta sauce.
>
> OK so out cam the big knife the chunk of cow was now strips.
>
> I took *& smashed a few cloves of garlic, browned them in some EVOO added a
> diced onion and sautéed lightly and then added the cow strips. (left over
> pot roast) *To this I added a handful of Italian herb mix, some salt and
> pepper, about 1.5 cups of the left over gravy (waste not want not) a large
> can of Marinara Sauce (TJ'S) a large can of diced tomatoes, juice and all
> and a 16 Oz can of tomato juice.
>
> Simmer, simmer, get out the potato masher and mash the meat strips, simmer,
> simmer, Mash and simmer some mash some more.
>
> By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to tell
> you the home crowd raved and I did too.
>
> This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.
>
> Sooo *The moral of the story? *Next time you've got left over pot roast -
> make sauce.

The best meat sauce I ever had was made by a woman who made the
tenderest braciole from skirt steak, then broke it up into small bits
in her sauce, or rather it just fell apart in the sauce, even tho
she'd tied it with string. Her lasagna was beyond compare, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of Cow
> ( boneless chuck USDA Select).
>
> We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.
>
> I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just
> accept) used to put left over meat in her Pasta sauce.
>

> By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to
> tell you the home crowd raved and I did too.
>
> This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.
>
> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast
> - make sauce.

An old friend married an Italian and learned to make sauce from his
mother. She always put a few pork chops in her "gravy" (Boston
Italian for spaghetti sauce.)

I believe the secret to yummy sauce is long, slow simmering. A variety
of meat doesn't hurt, either.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of Cow (
> boneless chuck USDA Select).

<snippety>
> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast -
> make sauce.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Dimitri

You've given me an idea for this weekend, thanks! :-)
I've been craving Italian and I think I'll make some meat sauce and
serve it over some zucchini to keep it low carb...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 May 2009 16:44:03 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of Cow (
>boneless chuck USDA Select).

snippage

>This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.
>
>Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast -
>make sauce.
>
>Enjoy
>
>Dimitri

Sounds wonderful Dimitri.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 6:54*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Dimitri said...
>

> > For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of *a 5 pound chunk of Cow
> > ( boneless chuck USDA Select).

> > We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.

> > I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just
> > accept) used to put than left over meat in her Pasta sauce.

> > OK so out cam the big knife the chunk of cow was now strips.

> > I took *& smashed a few cloves of garlic, browned them in some EVOO
> > added a diced onion and sautéed lightly and then added the cow strips..
> > (left over pot roast) *To this I added a handful of Italian herb mix,
> > some salt and pepper, about 1.5 cups of the left over gravy (waste not
> > want not) a large can of Marinara Sauce (TJ'S) a large can of diced
> > tomatoes, juice and all and a 16 Oz can of tomato juice.

> > Simmer, simmer, get out the potato masher and mash the meat strips,
> > simmer, simmer, Mash and simmer some mash some more.

> > By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to
> > tell you the home crowd raved and I did too.

> > This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.

> > Sooo *The moral of the story? *Next time you've got left over pot roast
> > - make sauce.

> > Enjoy

> > Dimitri

> Dimitri,
>
> An Italian Sloppy Joe on a bun or did you serve it in a pasta dish? You
> didn't say.
>
> Sounds delicious with the only possible exception that USDA select is a
> lesser grade than choice.

For braising, I don't think it makes much difference. Chuck is
tough. Heck, I'd bet a dollar to a dime that Prime chuck is tough.
Grilling a strip or tenderloin MR? There you get a potentially
noticeable difference. I've noticed such variation in marbling in
steaks in the same cold case that I figure that I can often get a
steak that is graded Choice, but is clearly of Prime marbling. I love
beef. I might well die a few years sooner for my overindulgence, but
rare to medium rare beef gives me so much pleasure. At least I trim
more fat off as I get older.

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of Cow
> ( boneless chuck USDA Select).
>
> We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.
>
> I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just
> accept) used to put than left over meat in her Pasta sauce.
>
> OK so out cam the big knife the chunk of cow was now strips.
>
> I took & smashed a few cloves of garlic, browned them in some EVOO
> added a diced onion and sautéed lightly and then added the cow strips.
> (left over pot roast) To this I added a handful of Italian herb mix,
> some salt and pepper, about 1.5 cups of the left over gravy (waste not
> want not) a large can of Marinara Sauce (TJ'S) a large can of diced
> tomatoes, juice and all and a 16 Oz can of tomato juice.
>
> Simmer, simmer, get out the potato masher and mash the meat strips,
> simmer, simmer, Mash and simmer some mash some more.
>
> By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to
> tell you the home crowd raved and I did too.
>
> This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.
>
> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast
> - make sauce.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Dimitri

Are you familiar with "Estouffade"? not to be confused with etouffee.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Dimitri said...
>
>> For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of Cow
>> ( boneless chuck USDA Select).
>>
>> We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.
>>
>> I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just
>> accept) used to put than left over meat in her Pasta sauce.
>>
>> OK so out cam the big knife the chunk of cow was now strips.
>>
>> I took & smashed a few cloves of garlic, browned them in some EVOO
>> added a diced onion and sautéed lightly and then added the cow strips.
>> (left over pot roast) To this I added a handful of Italian herb mix,
>> some salt and pepper, about 1.5 cups of the left over gravy (waste not
>> want not) a large can of Marinara Sauce (TJ'S) a large can of diced
>> tomatoes, juice and all and a 16 Oz can of tomato juice.
>>
>> Simmer, simmer, get out the potato masher and mash the meat strips,
>> simmer, simmer, Mash and simmer some mash some more.
>>
>> By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to
>> tell you the home crowd raved and I did too.
>>
>> This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.
>>
>> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast
>> - make sauce.
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>> Dimitri

> Dimitri,
>
> An Italian Sloppy Joe on a bun or did you serve it in a pasta dish? You
> didn't say.
>
> Sounds delicious with the only possible exception that USDA select is a
> lesser grade than choice.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy
> --
> Eat first, talk later.

Sorry served over Organic Spaghetti TJ'S with imported P-R cheese,

was very nice.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message

> Dimitri wrote:
>> For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of Cow
>> ( boneless chuck USDA Select).
>>
>> We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.
>>
>> I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just
>> accept) used to put than left over meat in her Pasta sauce.
>>
>> OK so out cam the big knife the chunk of cow was now strips.
>>
>> I took & smashed a few cloves of garlic, browned them in some EVOO added
>> a diced onion and sautéed lightly and then added the cow strips. (left
>> over pot roast) To this I added a handful of Italian herb mix, some salt
>> and pepper, about 1.5 cups of the left over gravy (waste not want not) a
>> large can of Marinara Sauce (TJ'S) a large can of diced tomatoes, juice
>> and all and a 16 Oz can of tomato juice.
>>
>> Simmer, simmer, get out the potato masher and mash the meat strips,
>> simmer, simmer, Mash and simmer some mash some more.
>>
>> By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to tell
>> you the home crowd raved and I did too.
>>
>> This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.
>>
>> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast -
>> make sauce.
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>> Dimitri

> Are you familiar with "Estouffade"? not to be confused with etouffee.
> --
> JL

No not really although I just looked it up in Escoffier.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
On May 14, 6:54 pm, Andy > wrote:
> Dimitri said...

<Snip>

> Dimitri,
>
> An Italian Sloppy Joe on a bun or did you serve it in a pasta dish? You
> didn't say.
>
> Sounds delicious with the only possible exception that USDA select is a
> lesser grade than choice.

For braising, I don't think it makes much difference. Chuck is
tough. Heck, I'd bet a dollar to a dime that Prime chuck is tough.
Grilling a strip or tenderloin MR? There you get a potentially
noticeable difference. I've noticed such variation in marbling in
steaks in the same cold case that I figure that I can often get a
steak that is graded Choice, but is clearly of Prime marbling. I love
beef. I might well die a few years sooner for my overindulgence, but
rare to medium rare beef gives me so much pleasure. At least I trim
more fat off as I get older.

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Bryan is right on this beef had very little marbling is any. As a matter of
fact noticed very little coagulated fat the next day.

Admittedly this was a CHEAP cut IIRC it was on sale at Ralphs (Kroger)
boneless chuck for 160 to 180 per pound I went in and wipped out the meat
case - I think I purchased 8 of them to grind and use as a pot roast or stew
meat. knowing full well one had to cook the living daylights out of the
meat. Nonetheless the pot roast was tender yet meaty - I am knot a fan of
pot roast that turns to mush.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9C0BCA587CAA5CotD@

216.196.97.131...
>> Dimitri said...
>>
>>> For mothers day I managed to make a pot roast of a 5 pound chunk of

Cow
>>> ( boneless chuck USDA Select).
>>>
>>> We had 2 nice meals and yesterday the was about 1.5 LBS left.
>>>
>>> I remembered my Italian Step Grandmother in Mexico (don't ask just
>>> accept) used to put than left over meat in her Pasta sauce.
>>>
>>> OK so out cam the big knife the chunk of cow was now strips.
>>>
>>> I took & smashed a few cloves of garlic, browned them in some EVOO
>>> added a diced onion and sautéed lightly and then added the cow strips.
>>> (left over pot roast) To this I added a handful of Italian herb mix,
>>> some salt and pepper, about 1.5 cups of the left over gravy (waste not
>>> want not) a large can of Marinara Sauce (TJ'S) a large can of diced
>>> tomatoes, juice and all and a 16 Oz can of tomato juice.
>>>
>>> Simmer, simmer, get out the potato masher and mash the meat strips,
>>> simmer, simmer, Mash and simmer some mash some more.
>>>
>>> By the time the sauce was ready and we were ready to eat - I need to
>>> tell you the home crowd raved and I did too.
>>>
>>> This was one of the best sauces I have ever concocted.
>>>
>>> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast
>>> - make sauce.
>>>
>>> Enjoy
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Dimitri,
>>
>> An Italian Sloppy Joe on a bun or did you serve it in a pasta dish? You
>> didn't say.
>>
>> Sounds delicious with the only possible exception that USDA select is a
>> lesser grade than choice.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> Eat first, talk later.

> Sorry served over Organic Spaghetti TJ'S with imported P-R cheese,
>
> was very nice.
>
> Dimitri

Mornin' Dimitri,

Saved your version.

Looking forward to it! I'm thinking with big fat rotini. And big fat Andy
as a result.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:
> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot roast -
> make sauce.
> Dimitri

Yahbut what are you to do when you got potted because of too much sauce?
Hmmmmm? Or sauced due to too much pot? Hmmmmm?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote:
>

>> Dimitri wrote:
>>> Sooo The moral of the story? Next time you've got left over pot
>>> roast - make sauce.
>>>
>>> Enjoy
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Are you familiar with "Estouffade"? not to be confused with etouffee.
>> --
>> JL

> No not really although I just looked it up in Escoffier.
>
> Dimitri

It does seem to me, more clearly written, in Escoffier's La Guide
Culinaire than the La Russe.

Im not sure if its even in 'ma cuisine.'
--
JL