Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.cooking

Default question re NZ Sauvignon Blanc

I saw some New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at
Trader Joe's, $8 for 750 ml: Kono, and Picton Bay.
Anybody know thse brands?

The reason I ask, NZ Sauvignon is fashionable,
which means pricey. So when I see a bottle at $8,
I'm skeptical... but TJ is famous for good deals, so
it might be a steal...

--
Rich
Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.cooking

RichD > wrote:

> I saw some New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at
> Trader Joe's, $8 for 750 ml: Kono, and Picton Bay.
> Anybody know thse brands?
>
> The reason I ask, NZ Sauvignon is fashionable,
> which means pricey. So when I see a bottle at $8,
> I'm skeptical... but TJ is famous for good deals, so
> it might be a steal...

I've tasted a couple of vintages of Kono and found it adequate. It has
some of what makes NZ Sauv. Bl. so attractive: there is a somewhat
understated grassy, citrusy, gooseberry-ish acidity, but no real
pungency of the best Marlborough Sauvignon Bl. Certainly it is no
Cloudy Bay at its historic best, but it perhaps can be compared to
Nobilo, which, though mass-produced, is a good basic NZ Sav. Bl. (and
which used to be attractively priced in the US a few years ago, as I
remember).

Victor
Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.cooking

RichD > writes:

> I saw some New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at
> Trader Joe's, $8 for 750 ml: Kono, and Picton Bay.
> Anybody know thse brands?
>
> The reason I ask, NZ Sauvignon is fashionable,
> which means pricey. So when I see a bottle at $8,
> I'm skeptical... but TJ is famous for good deals, so
> it might be a steal...

I haven't had Picton Bay. I've had Kono, and think it is fine for
$8. Not a steal.

Nobilo has also (maybe last year sometime) been available at TJs for
$8, and I like it more than the Kono.

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.cooking

In article
RichD > wrote:

> I saw some New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at
> Trader Joe's, $8 for 750 ml: Kono, and Picton Bay.
> Anybody know thse brands?
>
> The reason I ask, NZ Sauvignon is fashionable,
> which means pricey. So when I see a bottle at $8,
> I'm skeptical... but TJ is famous for good deals, so
> it might be a steal...

We don't send the crap stuff out of the country.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.cooking

RichD > wrote in news:48ab3938-4d95-430f-b68d-
:

> I saw some New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at
> Trader Joe's, $8 for 750 ml: Kono, and Picton Bay.
> Anybody know thse brands?

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/clin...newsletter_id=
167601

> The reason I ask, NZ Sauvignon is fashionable,
> which means pricey. So when I see a bottle at $8,
> I'm skeptical... but TJ is famous for good deals, so
> it might be a steal...
>
> --
> Rich

Funny you should ask......... I just got an email from my wine club trying
to flog bloody NZ Sav Blanc!!

http://www.winesociety.com.au/produc...asp?code=20053

KONO wine is owned by the Wakatu Corporation.........

http://www.wakatu.org/main/home/

http://www.wakatu.org/kono/

You might want to give the Picton Bay a miss though.........

http://www.winewithoutwank.com.au/review/848.php

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

question re NZ Sauvignon Blanc Matt S Wine 0 14-05-2009 02:17 AM
Sauvignon blanc Daisy Wine 21 08-02-2006 11:01 AM
sauvignon blanc Dan Emerson Winemaking 2 21-12-2004 03:47 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Pinky Winemaking 3 30-07-2004 07:11 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Rob M Winemaking 5 30-07-2004 07:11 AM