Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default engineering dirty rice

Friends were coming to hang out for the afternoon and dinner, bringing
their 10-year old boy. Among other things I served dirty rice. The
kid loved it and loved the name and then wanted to know more about
it. I explained chicken livers and gizzards but didn't have any more
to show him, so got on the net looking for recipes and pictures.
Found a good version and some small pictures, essentially the same as
mine, he
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...147/Dirty-Rice

This is a pretty well done cooking website, displaying a consistent
willingness to address hows and whys (techniques) as well as what
(recipes). Worth looking around. He uses a neat recipe format that I
haven't seen before, maybe he developed it. I can't describe it, just
take a look. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Friends were coming to hang out for the afternoon and dinner, bringing
> their 10-year old boy. Among other things I served dirty rice. The
> kid loved it and loved the name and then wanted to know more about
> it. I explained chicken livers and gizzards but didn't have any more
> to show him, so got on the net looking for recipes and pictures.
> Found a good version and some small pictures, essentially the same as
> mine, he
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...147/Dirty-Rice
>
> This is a pretty well done cooking website, displaying a consistent
> willingness to address hows and whys (techniques) as well as what
> (recipes). Worth looking around. He uses a neat recipe format that I
> haven't seen before, maybe he developed it. I can't describe it, just
> take a look. -aem

I've had CFE bookmarked for several years, he is consistent in his
analysis of the dishes he writes about. Very few of the people here in
SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
find ingredients anymore. Most dirty rice here now is made with ground
beef or pork, occasionally ground chicken. It's still tasty no matter
what it's made with.

George, not an engineer but supervised a lot of them over the years
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 11:10*am, George Shirley > wrote:

> I've had CFE bookmarked for several years, he is consistent in his
> analysis of the dishes he writes about. Very few of the people here in
> SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
> find ingredients anymore. Most dirty rice here now is made with ground
> beef or pork, occasionally ground chicken. It's still tasty no matter
> what it's made with.

I don't doubt that some folks would prefer other meats, but not me.
It's some other rice dish, no longer dirty rice if you do, afaic.
I've looked at the website off and on for quite a while but haven't
got through the whole thing yet. He seems pretty sensible to me. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> (recipes). Worth looking around. He uses a neat recipe format that I
> haven't seen before, maybe he developed it. I can't describe it, just
> take a look. -aem

Oy, the ads!
HWSRN said "That's the way an engineer would do it on a spreadsheet."
I am so not accustomed to that format that it's difficult for me to
track with it. Like most things, I could probably get used to it, but I
don't want to. :-0\ The guy's been around with that site for a
long time.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Very few of the people here in
> SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
> find ingredients anymore.

I can get livers, gizzards and hearts at most any grocer in Austin.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>
> > Very few of the people here in
> > SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
> > find ingredients anymore.

> I can get livers, gizzards and hearts at most any grocer in Austin.
>
> -sw

Where are you getting Hearts? I've only ever seen them at Fiesta or MT.
HEB (at least locally) does not carry chicken hearts. But they do carry
beef heart.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 7:31*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> > *aem > wrote:
> > (recipes). *Worth looking around. *He uses a neat recipe format that I
> > haven't seen before, maybe he developed it. *I can't describe it, just
> > take a look. * -aem

> Oy, the ads! *
> HWSRN said "That's the way an engineer would do it on a spreadsheet."
> I am so not accustomed to that format that it's difficult for me to
> track with it. *Like most things, I could probably get used to it, but I
> don't want to. *:-0\ * * *The guy's been around with that site for a
> long time.

It is different, and the traditional format doesn't really need
changing. Still, I think it's a pretty ingenious way to link
ingredients with what you do with them. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Where are you getting Hearts? I've only ever seen them at Fiesta or MT.
> HEB (at least locally) does not carry chicken hearts. But they do carry
> beef heart.

Central Market, of all places, has them all the time for $.89/lb. And
then some of the third-world HEB's have them in stock most of the time.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Where are you getting Hearts? I've only ever seen them at Fiesta or MT.
> > HEB (at least locally) does not carry chicken hearts. But they do carry
> > beef heart.

> Central Market, of all places, has them all the time for $.89/lb. And
> then some of the third-world HEB's have them in stock most of the time.
>
> -sw

That's a helluva price, and I love chicken hearts. I'll have to watch
for that, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:

> > Central Market, of all places, has them all the time for $.89/lb. And
> > then some of the third-world HEB's have them in stock most of the time.

> That's a helluva price, and I love chicken hearts. I'll have to watch
> for that, thanks!

I have no trouble finding chicken livers around here, but chicken
hearts without gizzards I can't find. It's always gizzards and
hearts packaged together. It seems to be a regional thing. In
PA and NJ they sell hearts separate, and I'm assuming other places
as well, just not in my area. I really like chicken hearts, but
not gizzards. Sigh.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:30:05 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> I love gizzards. But, I know how to cook them tender. :-)
> If nothing else, you could use them as a stock ingredient, then turn the
> meat into pet food.

Just make sure you don't get free range chicken gizzards.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:30:05 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > I love gizzards. But, I know how to cook them tender. :-)
> > If nothing else, you could use them as a stock ingredient, then turn the
> > meat into pet food.

> Just make sure you don't get free range chicken gizzards.
>
> -sw

Why?
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:30:05 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> I love gizzards. But, I know how to cook them tender. :-)
>>> If nothing else, you could use them as a stock ingredient, then turn the
>>> meat into pet food.

>> Just make sure you don't get free range chicken gizzards.
>>
>> -sw

> Why?

I ask the same question. Back in the day DW and I ran about 50 free
range chickens all the time. We ate the liver and gizzards routinely and
never had a problem (as he wipes drool from his misshapen face). <G>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Just make sure you don't get free range chicken gizzards.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Why?

> I ask the same question. Back in the day DW and I ran about 50 free
> range chickens all the time. We ate the liver and gizzards routinely and
> never had a problem (as he wipes drool from his misshapen face). <G>

Mmm... Free range rooster. Yum!

The feathers (especially the neck, flank and tail feathers) were worth
money on eBay for fly tying. I was careful to dry pluck those prior to
scalding to finish cleaning the bird prior to gutting them.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Why?

>> I ask the same question. Back in the day DW and I ran about 50 free
>> range chickens all the time. We ate the liver and gizzards routinely and
>> never had a problem (as he wipes drool from his misshapen face). <G>

> Mmm... Free range rooster. Yum!
>
> The feathers (especially the neck, flank and tail feathers) were worth
> money on eBay for fly tying. I was careful to dry pluck those prior to
> scalding to finish cleaning the bird prior to gutting them.

No eBay back in our chicken plucking days, no internet, now WWW. Saved
rooster neck feathers and pheasant feathers for my Dad and other fly
fishermen. We butchered very few adult roosters, usually only kept one
to service the hens and chopped the rest at eight to ten weeks of age
for "broilers."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> >> I ask the same question. Back in the day DW and I ran about 50 free
> >> range chickens all the time. We ate the liver and gizzards routinely and
> >> never had a problem (as he wipes drool from his misshapen face). <G>

> > Mmm... Free range rooster. Yum!
> >
> > The feathers (especially the neck, flank and tail feathers) were worth
> > money on eBay for fly tying. I was careful to dry pluck those prior to
> > scalding to finish cleaning the bird prior to gutting them.

> No eBay back in our chicken plucking days, no internet, now WWW. Saved
> rooster neck feathers and pheasant feathers for my Dad and other fly
> fishermen. We butchered very few adult roosters, usually only kept one
> to service the hens and chopped the rest at eight to ten weeks of age
> for "broilers."

Free range roosters have a very rich flavor. Even older ones (6
months+) that are tough are tasty as stock and chicken salad. Older
rooster is known as "hard rooster" and they sell them head on at the
asian market for a premium price.

Sometimes I did not get around to killing them for awhile. We had some
mixed breed hens with game hen in their bloodlines and they were expert
at hiding nests. I'd wake up in the morning once in awhile to a hen
leading around a dozen chicks or so. <g> It was cute but annoying!
About 1/2 of them were males so needed to be slaughtered.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 06:22:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:30:05 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> I love gizzards. But, I know how to cook them tender. :-)
>>> If nothing else, you could use them as a stock ingredient, then turn the
>>> meat into pet food.

>> Just make sure you don't get free range chicken gizzards.

> Why?

Because they're small and full of little rocks and dirt. FR
chickens actually use their gizzards, unlike caged birds being fed
controlled food.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2009 06:22:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Just make sure you don't get free range chicken gizzards.

> > Why?

> Because they're small and full of little rocks and dirt. FR
> chickens actually use their gizzards, unlike caged birds being fed
> controlled food.
>
> -sw

So iow, they've not been cleaned? Yeeks.
I can clean a gizzard, but don't understand why they'd sell them that
way!

Have you ever processed a gizzard from the "live" state Steve? Even a
cage fed bird, the inner membrane needs to be removed! I've never, ever
bought gizzards that have not had that done. I could tell since I've
done it.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 May 2009 06:22:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> Why?

>> Because they're small and full of little rocks and dirt. FR
>> chickens actually use their gizzards, unlike caged birds being fed
>> controlled food.
>>
>> -sw

> So iow, they've not been cleaned? Yeeks.
> I can clean a gizzard, but don't understand why they'd sell them that
> way!
>
> Have you ever processed a gizzard from the "live" state Steve? Even a
> cage fed bird, the inner membrane needs to be removed! I've never, ever
> bought gizzards that have not had that done. I could tell since I've
> done it.

I've never seen a gizzard for sale that wasn't cleaned. Isn't there a
USDA regulation or something about that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:46:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 May 2009 06:22:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> Why?

>> Because they're small and full of little rocks and dirt. FR
>> chickens actually use their gizzards, unlike caged birds being fed
>> controlled food.

> So iow, they've not been cleaned? Yeeks.
> I can clean a gizzard, but don't understand why they'd sell them that
> way!

They're not worth cleaning, IMO. I wouldn't eat them if they
required cleaning. Caged bird gizzards don't need cleaning.

I'll stick to chicken hearts. All meat and no rocks, just
heartworms!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:48:06 -0500, George Shirley wrote:

> I've never seen a gizzard for sale that wasn't cleaned. Isn't there a
> USDA regulation or something about that?

I've never seen a gizzard that *was* cleaned. Are you thinking of
beef hearts?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Because they're small and full of little rocks and dirt. FR
> >> chickens actually use their gizzards, unlike caged birds being fed
> >> controlled food.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > So iow, they've not been cleaned? Yeeks.
> > I can clean a gizzard, but don't understand why they'd sell them that
> > way!
> >
> > Have you ever processed a gizzard from the "live" state Steve? Even a
> > cage fed bird, the inner membrane needs to be removed! I've never, ever
> > bought gizzards that have not had that done. I could tell since I've
> > done it.

> I've never seen a gizzard for sale that wasn't cleaned. Isn't there a
> USDA regulation or something about that?

I would certainly hope so, but do not know for sure.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:46:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Because they're small and full of little rocks and dirt. FR
> >> chickens actually use their gizzards, unlike caged birds being fed
> >> controlled food.

> > So iow, they've not been cleaned? Yeeks.
> > I can clean a gizzard, but don't understand why they'd sell them that
> > way!

> They're not worth cleaning, IMO. I wouldn't eat them if they
> required cleaning. Caged bird gizzards don't need cleaning.

If they need cleaning, I'd not purchase them either.
Around the holidays, turkey gizzards (cleaned) are easy to find at HEB.

> I'll stick to chicken hearts. All meat and no rocks, just
> heartworms!
>
> -sw

I'll pass... <shudder>

I've never seen heartworms in packages of poultry hearts!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:48:06 -0500, George Shirley wrote:
>
> > I've never seen a gizzard for sale that wasn't cleaned. Isn't there a
> > USDA regulation or something about that?

> I've never seen a gizzard that *was* cleaned. Are you thinking of
> beef hearts?
>
> -sw

Steve, I've purchased many a gizzard package that was cleaned.
If the membrane is white, it's clean. If it's yellow, it isn't.

I suppose you've never cleaned a fresh one from a warm body?
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:00:56 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> So iow, they've not been cleaned? Yeeks.
>>> I can clean a gizzard, but don't understand why they'd sell them that
>>> way!
>>>
>>> Have you ever processed a gizzard from the "live" state Steve? Even a
>>> cage fed bird, the inner membrane needs to be removed! I've never, ever
>>> bought gizzards that have not had that done. I could tell since I've
>>> done it.

>> I've never seen a gizzard for sale that wasn't cleaned. Isn't there a
>> USDA regulation or something about that?

> I would certainly hope so, but do not know for sure.

I'm sure they're rinsed off like all chicken parts, but there are no
incisions in any of the store-bought gizzards.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> I've never seen a gizzard for sale that wasn't cleaned. Isn't there a
> >> USDA regulation or something about that?

> > I would certainly hope so, but do not know for sure.

> I'm sure they're rinsed off like all chicken parts, but there are no
> incisions in any of the store-bought gizzards.
>
> -sw

Good gods, where the hell have you bought them?
I've bought them at HEB and they are cut open and clean!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What store in Austin sell chicken gizzards, hearts and liver. I make my own dogfood and these organ meats arent anywhere??? Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HEB carried these organ meats 2 months ago. Now i cant find them anywhere
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Very few of the people here in
> SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
> find ingredients anymore.

Are you referring to the minority side of town? Are you sure?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

George Shirley wrote:
> Very few of the people here in
> SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
> find ingredients anymore.

Are you referring to the minority side of town? Are you sure?

====

s George Shirley??? Is that is really you?? If so, I am thrilled to see
you!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia

wrote in message
====

s George Shirley??? Is that is really you?? If so, I am thrilled to see
you!!!
€”€”€”€”€”€”€”€”€”€”€”-

Sad to say George Shirley passed away
a few months ago. I always read his
wonderful advice of rec.food.preserving
and that is how I know. He was a great
guy always willing to share his vast
knowledge.

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nellie" wrote in message

Ophelia

wrote in message
====

s George Shirley??? Is that is really you?? If so, I am thrilled to see
you!!!
€”€”€”€”€”€”€”€”€”€”€”-

Sad to say George Shirley passed away
a few months ago. I always read his
wonderful advice of rec.food.preserving
and that is how I know. He was a great
guy always willing to share his vast
knowledge.

Nellie

====

Thank you, Nellie(( Yes, he was a great cook and shared a lot with me
back in the day(((

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2020 21:14:45 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Most of the third-world HEB's (7th Street, Runderg, etc...) carry

> at >> least hearts and livers, gizzards are come and go. If you talk
> to >> the meat guy he can make sure he has them when you come in and
> give >> you a bulk pricing since they're usually packaged in 1-lb
> trays >> (livers are in the small tubs).
> >>
> >> There's also Lone Star Meats and East Poultry. Can't miss the Big
> >> Chicken hanging over the sidewalk.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Umm, HEB isn't 3rd world. It's a fairly upscale Texas market, or
> > was when I lived there for 3 years.

> <yawn> HEB is not upscale, maybe for a hillbilly like you its
> upscale. Central Market is their upscale offering. And HEB's are
> different in each part of the city, which is why some are referred
> to as third-world HEB's. I named four of them specifically, two
> first world and two third-worlds.
>
> Don't be trying to educate me on a chain a grocery stores I shop at
> twice weekly for 20 years. Tell me which ones you shopped at and
> I'll rate them for you.
>
> -sw

Steve, I haven't lived there since 1986. Universal City, just outside
San Antonio. Just off the main drag to Randolf AFB. HEB was fairly
new I think then? 1983-1986. Google maps tells me it might be a
'Planet Fitness' now.