Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Greek-style yogurt cheese

Does anyone know the "secret" to making Greek-style yogurt cheese? I just
returned from a visit to Greece (plus one day in Turkey - Ephesus). One of
the hotels served "fresh fruit with yogurt" as dessert. It was fantastic!
I have made yogurt cheese by using cheesecloth to strain yogurt. I like it,
but the yogurt (which I believe is likely to be yogurt cheese and not just
yogurt) served in Greece was much different. It was almost like having
fruit on soft ice cream, only better. Very rich, very creamy. Of course, I
no longer use sugar or even artificial sweeteners, so that will be one
difference when I make my own, but I would like to be able to duplicate the
creamy "quality" of what I had in Greece. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Does anyone know the "secret" to making Greek-style yogurt cheese? I just
> returned from a visit to Greece (plus one day in Turkey - Ephesus). One
> of the hotels served "fresh fruit with yogurt" as dessert. It was
> fantastic! I have made yogurt cheese by using cheesecloth to strain
> yogurt. I like it, but the yogurt (which I believe is likely to be yogurt
> cheese and not just yogurt) served in Greece was much different. It was
> almost like having fruit on soft ice cream, only better. Very rich, very
> creamy. Of course, I no longer use sugar or even artificial sweeteners,
> so that will be one difference when I make my own, but I would like to be
> able to duplicate the creamy "quality" of what I had in Greece. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

Perhaps you already know this, but Greek yogurt is very different from the
regular yogurt you can buy from the supermarket. It's very thick and
creamy. I can find Greek yogurt at my food co-op or health food store. It
says Greek yogurt on the container.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know the "secret" to making Greek-style yogurt cheese? I
>> just returned from a visit to Greece (plus one day in Turkey - Ephesus).
>> One of the hotels served "fresh fruit with yogurt" as dessert. It was
>> fantastic! I have made yogurt cheese by using cheesecloth to strain
>> yogurt. I like it, but the yogurt (which I believe is likely to be
>> yogurt cheese and not just yogurt) served in Greece was much different.
>> It was almost like having fruit on soft ice cream, only better. Very
>> rich, very creamy. Of course, I no longer use sugar or even artificial
>> sweeteners, so that will be one difference when I make my own, but I
>> would like to be able to duplicate the creamy "quality" of what I had in
>> Greece. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> MaryL

> Perhaps you already know this, but Greek yogurt is very different from the
> regular yogurt you can buy from the supermarket. It's very thick and
> creamy. I can find Greek yogurt at my food co-op or health food store.
> It says Greek yogurt on the container.
> Janet

Actually, I didn't know it, but I just learned that from a friend this
evening. She said it is available in our local Kroger's, so I'm going to
pick some up tomorrow. Thanks! (This may mean that I won't even need to
strain it to make "yogurt cheese.")

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know the "secret" to making Greek-style yogurt cheese? I
>>> just returned from a visit to Greece (plus one day in Turkey - Ephesus).
>>> One of the hotels served "fresh fruit with yogurt" as dessert. It was
>>> fantastic! I have made yogurt cheese by using cheesecloth to strain
>>> yogurt. I like it, but the yogurt (which I believe is likely to be
>>> yogurt cheese and not just yogurt) served in Greece was much different.
>>> It was almost like having fruit on soft ice cream, only better. Very
>>> rich, very creamy. Of course, I no longer use sugar or even artificial
>>> sweeteners, so that will be one difference when I make my own, but I
>>> would like to be able to duplicate the creamy "quality" of what I had in
>>> Greece. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> MaryL

>> Perhaps you already know this, but Greek yogurt is very different from
>> the regular yogurt you can buy from the supermarket. It's very thick and
>> creamy. I can find Greek yogurt at my food co-op or health food store.
>> It says Greek yogurt on the container.
>> Janet
>>

> Actually, I didn't know it, but I just learned that from a friend this
> evening. She said it is available in our local Kroger's, so I'm going to
> pick some up tomorrow. Thanks! (This may mean that I won't even need to
> strain it to make "yogurt cheese.")
>
> MaryL

Trader Joe's has Greek style yogurt.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>>snipped>>
>>

> Actually, I didn't know it, but I just learned that from a friend this
> evening. She said it is available in our local Kroger's, so I'm going to
> pick some up tomorrow. Thanks! (This may mean that I won't even need to
> strain it to make "yogurt cheese.")
>
> MaryL

If you have time, some straining of it will be of benefit - you will get to
know how long will suit your tastebuds.

I sometimes go all the way through to making Labneh Makbur and sometimes I
stop straining it after only 1/2 a day to get just a simple thick creamy
yoghurt. However, I add sugar to it then and make it a dessert yoghurt.
Hoges in WA

Greek Yogurt Recall Tara General Cooking 4 06-09-2013 05:11 PM
greek yogurt Somebody General Cooking 69 06-03-2013 08:14 AM
What's the 'Greek' in Greek yogurt? Kalmia General Cooking 30 02-03-2011 12:29 AM
Greek Yogurt Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 4 12-04-2008 02:09 AM
yogurt maker - greek/lebanese/indian style [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 29-05-2006 03:02 AM