Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

Default REQ - simple Banana Cake recipe

A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.

We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

BTW - I baked a beautiful loaf of rye bread yesterday to go with my
wife's wonderful golden lentil soup last night and I tried a piece
this morning - toasted with some butter and strawberry preserves. I've
never tried rye with anything other than things like swiss cheese, or
soups, or eggs, or tunafish salad, etc ... so I was surprised when the
strawberry preserves at breakfast worked just perfectly.

Golly, time for lunch already ...

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2009 13:28:25 +1200, bob >
wrote:

>A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
>their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
>fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>
>We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
>I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
>simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.
>
>BTW - I baked a beautiful loaf of rye bread yesterday to go with my
>wife's wonderful golden lentil soup last night and I tried a piece
>this morning - toasted with some butter and strawberry preserves. I've
>never tried rye with anything other than things like swiss cheese, or
>soups, or eggs, or tunafish salad, etc ... so I was surprised when the
>strawberry preserves at breakfast worked just perfectly.
>
>Golly, time for lunch already ...

* Exported from MasterCook *

FIESTA BANANA CAKE

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cake, Dessert,Fruits, foodforu.ca

1/2 c Sour cream
1 pk White cake mix
1/2 ts Baking soda
1 c Mashed bananas
1/2 c Chopped nuts ( your choice) I like almonds

Add sour cream to cake mix and beat for 1 minute. Add baking soda
to bananas. Add to batter and continue beating 1-1/2 minutes. Fold
in nuts. Pour into 2 greased and waxed paper lined 8-inch cake pans.
Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

I usually ice this with a whipped butter/icing sugar frosting, with a
little orange zest in it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 302 Calories; 13g Fat (37.8%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
6mg Cholesterol; 385mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
>A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
> their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
> fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>
> We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
> I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
> simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.
>
> BTW - I baked a beautiful loaf of rye bread yesterday to go with my
> wife's wonderful golden lentil soup last night and I tried a piece
> this morning - toasted with some butter and strawberry preserves. I've
> never tried rye with anything other than things like swiss cheese, or
> soups, or eggs, or tunafish salad, etc ... so I was surprised when the
> strawberry preserves at breakfast worked just perfectly.
>
> Golly, time for lunch already ...

Homemade Rye bread is good toasted with a poached egg on top or toasted,
topped with peanut butter. Enjoy.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
>their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
>fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>
>We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
>I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
>simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

I hope you have good old banana bread on your to do list!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob > wrote in
:

> A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
> their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
> fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>
> We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
> I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
> simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

I've never had a problem with this recipe - and it's always been quite
popular. I don't normally make the topping - sometimes I do just
sprinkle crushed walnuts on top of the cake before baking, but not
always.

Simple banana cake - from Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion

NB: this is an Australian recipe - cups are 250ml, tbsp 20ml (4tsp)

125g softned unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe banana
few drops of pure vanilla
250g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup buttermilk OR 1/2 cup milk with 1 tsp lemon juice

Butter and flour 20cm square cake tin, then line base with baking paper.
Preheat oven to 180C (about 350-360F).
Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, banana and
vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add to mixture, alternating with
buttermilk. Spoon into tin (if using topping sprinkle on to unbaked
cake) and bake for 45 minutes or until cake tests clean. Cool cake in
tin on wire rack for a few minutes before turning out. Cool completely
before cutting or storing in an airtight tin.

Walnut and brown sugar topping - combine 3 tbsp coarsely chopped
walnuts, 3 tbsp self rising flour, 11/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 100g
softened butter and 3 tbsp brown sugar. Scatter over the uncooked banana
cake and bake.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 02 May 2009 22:07:02 -0700, sf > shouted from
the highest rooftop:

>On Sun, 03 May 2009 13:28:25 +1200, bob >
>wrote:
>
>>A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
>>their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
>>fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>>
>>We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
>>I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
>>simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

>I hope you have good old banana bread on your to do list!

Looks like I'll need a recipe for that as well!!! ;-)b

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2009 17:24:08 +1200, bob >
wrote:

>On Sat, 02 May 2009 22:07:02 -0700, sf > shouted from
>the highest rooftop:
>
>>On Sun, 03 May 2009 13:28:25 +1200, bob >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
>>>their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
>>>fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>>>
>>>We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
>>>I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
>>>simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

>>I hope you have good old banana bread on your to do list!
>>

>Looks like I'll need a recipe for that as well!!! ;-)b

Don't look at me for a banana bread recipe! I'm the ultimate banana
bread dummy. Everyone who says they can't cook makes delicious banana
bread. They share their recipes with me, but I've never made ONE that
was any better than a banana flavored brick. This might work for you:
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...nana_bread.php

OK, I can't think of many banana recipes: banana pancakes, chocolate
dipped bananas, bananas foster, "fried" bananas (I usually just slice
them onto my cereal)... Here's a site to give you more ideas
http://www.bananarecipes.us/

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
.5:

> bob > wrote in
> :
>
>> A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
>> their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
>> fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>>
>> We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
>> I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
>> simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

> I've never had a problem with this recipe - and it's always been quite
> popular. I don't normally make the topping - sometimes I do just
> sprinkle crushed walnuts on top of the cake before baking, but not
> always.
>

> Simple banana cake - from Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion

(Sigh.........)

Banana cake, something I can't make at home, because I'm the only one to
eat it, and I can't eat a whole one by myself.

The SO is a Banana-bender, who absolutely hates bananas!!

She rekons they smell like monkey vomit :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 02 May 2009 23:02:37 -0700, sf > shouted from
the highest rooftop:

>Don't look at me for a banana bread recipe! I'm the ultimate banana
>bread dummy. Everyone who says they can't cook makes delicious banana
>bread. They share their recipes with me, but I've never made ONE that
>was any better than a banana flavored brick. This might work for you:
>http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...nana_bread.php
>
>OK, I can't think of many banana recipes: banana pancakes, chocolate
>dipped bananas, bananas foster, "fried" bananas (I usually just slice
>them onto my cereal)... Here's a site to give you more ideas
>http://www.bananarecipes.us/

Many thanks. Looks like banana HQ and that I'll be pretty busy once
they all ripen.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is about as basic as you can get and it is so good. You
substitute ingredients as necessary...but I wouldn't change the
buttermilk. It is essential.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Banana Cake

cakes, desserts, fruits

1 cup bananas; mashed
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup margarine; melted
2 medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350F.

Peel the bananas and mash them with a whisk until they are quite mushy
almost liquid. Cream in the sugar. Add the buttermilk, melted
margarine,
eggs and vanilla. Beat until it is smooth and satiny. You may use
electric
beaters if you prefer, but a whisk works really well.

Add the salt, baking powder and flour. Mix again until all is lump
free and
sort of fluffy. Turn the mixture into a well oiled 9' by 13'
rectangular
pan. Bake for about 40 minutes.

The cake is done when it is golden brown, the edges have pulled away
from
the sides of the pan, and the top springs back when pressed lightly in
the
center. Cool thoroughly and frost with chocolate or vanilla frosting.
This
is a favorite for the lunch box crowd.

Notes: Hillbilly Housewife

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 8:28*pm, bob > wrote:
> A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
> their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
> fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>
> We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
> I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
> simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

This is the basic recipie from the joy Of Cooking, and it works for
me!! I doubles it to make two loaves:

Banana Bread: Makes 2 loaf pans.

dry mix:
3 1/2 cup flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1tsp-1tbs cinnamon
1tsp-1tbs nutmeg

hold.

Cream:

1 1/3 sugar
1 1/3 stick butter (room temp)

Add and mix:

3 eggs
3-4 bananas

Mix in dry ingredients, then fold in any small pieces of fruit

and/or nuts.

Bake at 350F for an hour or so, or until a clean dry toothpick comes

back clean!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
> their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
> fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>
> We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
> I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
> simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

This is easy and a winner! -- Rusty in MD

* Exported from MasterCook *

Banana Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
2 ripe bananas, sliced
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts

In large bowl, combine all ingredients except nuts. Blend at low speed
until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl
occasionally. Stir in nuts. Pour batter into 13x9" pan, greased on the
bottom only. Bake at 350F for 30 - 35 minutes or until top springs back
when lightly touched in center.
Note - To make buttermilk or sour milk, place 1 tsp vinegar in a
measuring cup and add milk to equal 1/3 cup. Let stand a few minutes to
thicken. Top with white or chocolate frosting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
> their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
> fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>
> We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
> I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
> simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

An old recipe from my Mother. Rusty in MD

Banana Bread from Mom

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 bananas

Cream together sugar and butter. Add bananas in small chunks - add eggs
and beat well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture
and mix to a batter consistency. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at
350F for 1 hour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 02 May 2009 22:07:02 -0700, sf > shouted from
>the highest rooftop:
>
>>On Sun, 03 May 2009 13:28:25 +1200, bob >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>A friend has brought us a bunch of Lady Finger bananas from one of
>>>their trees and, in a few days, we'll have around one hundred and
>>>fifty small, sweet, ripe bananas.
>>>
>>>We'll eat some and freeze some peeled for future use in smoothies. But
>>>I've never made a banana cake before and wonder if anyone has a good,
>>>simple recipe for a relative beginner-baker.

>>I hope you have good old banana bread on your to do list!
>>

>Looks like I'll need a recipe for that as well!!! ;-)b

* Exported from MasterCook *

BANANA BREAD

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes, Diabetic, Low-fat

1/4 c Sugar
3/4 c Sugar Twin
1/3 c Margarine
1 Egg
2 Egg whites
1 t Baking soda
2 c Flour
4 tb Milk
3/4 ts Vinegar
3 Bananas -- ripe, mashed

Blend sugar, Sugar Twin, and margarine. Add eggs and mix well. Sift
flour and soda into bowl and stir. Mix milk and vinegar together,
then add to mixture. Fold in bananas. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees in
greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Let cool and cut into 20 slices.

Nutrients per slice: Calories 108, fat 3.6g, cholesterol 14 mg,
carbohydrate 17g, sodium 63mg.
Exchanges: Bread 1, fruit 1/4, fat 1.

This is one of my favorites.

Source: "There IS Life after Lettuce" by Pepper Durcholz, Alberta

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
134 Calories; 5g Fat (34.0% calories from fat);
4g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
17mg Cholesterol; 132mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk;
1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

STU'S FIESTA BANANA CAKE

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cake, Dessert,
Foodforu.ca

3/4 c Sour cream
1 pk White cake mix
3/4 ts Baking soda
1 c Mashed bananas
2/3 c Chopped nuts

Add sour cream to cake mix and beat for 1 minute. Add baking soda
bananas. Add to batter and continue beating 1-1/2 minutes. Fold in
nuts. Pour into 2 greased and waxed paper lined 8-inch cake pans.
Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

I like to ice it with a butter cream icing (butter whipped/icing
sugar),
with a little orange zest for flavor.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
302 Calories; 13g Fat (37.8% calories from fat);
4g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
6mg Cholesterol; 385mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2
1/2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 May 2009 17:24:08 +1200, bob >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 02 May 2009 22:07:02 -0700, sf > shouted from
>>the highest rooftop:

>>>I hope you have good old banana bread on your to do list!
>>>

>>Looks like I'll need a recipe for that as well!!! ;-)b

> Don't look at me for a banana bread recipe! I'm the ultimate banana
> bread dummy. Everyone who says they can't cook makes delicious banana
> bread. They share their recipes with me, but I've never made ONE that
> was any better than a banana flavored brick. This might work for you:
> http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...nana_bread.php
>
> OK, I can't think of many banana recipes: banana pancakes, chocolate
> dipped bananas, bananas foster, "fried" bananas (I usually just slice
> them onto my cereal)... Here's a site to give you more ideas
> http://www.bananarecipes.us/

I haven't seen a recipe for Banana Bread that's like mine yet, so I'll add
mine to the mix. The buttermilk makes it really, really moist.

1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup well-mashed overripe bananas

Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease and flour either 2 81/2 by 4 1/2 loaf pans, or you can use the mini
ones.
Combine flour, salt and baking soda.
Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately.

Beat batter for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in vanilla, nuts, and bananas. Spoon
in pans. Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the
center comes out clean. If you use the mini pans check baking time before
the 60 minutes. Let cool a few minutes and then remove from pans.

Jinx