Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ¢¾ Guacamole

Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/

I always slice the avocado across. That way, if it is the least bit
under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. The
avocado yesterday was perfect. I use the garlic press not only to
press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.

My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
days.

--Bryan
Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 9:06*am, Food Snob® > wrote:
> Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/
>
> I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
> under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
> avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
> press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.

WHAT is the name of the pattern on that beautiful dish to the left
holding the garlic press??

That's a good tip on pressing the jalapeno, by the way. I'll have to
remember that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 8:06*am, Food Snob® > wrote:
> Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/
>
> I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
> under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
> avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
> press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.
>
> My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
> days.
>
> --Bryan
> * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

Thanks so much for showing me a new way to cut avocado. I did not
grow up with it but use it weekly for dips and sides. I combine it
with cilantro and lime and some salsa. Can't wait for the local
tomatoes to come in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ? Guacamole

Food Snob® wrote:
> Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/
>
> I always slice the avocado across. That way, if it is the least bit
> under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. The
> avocado yesterday was perfect. I use the garlic press not only to
> press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.
>
> My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
> days.

Your cat is nutz. lol My jalapeno plant is filled with jalapeno's,
they are always so prolific. Avocados are on sale 4 for $1, so we are
having guacamole tonight. My youngest son is visiting and he wants
chicken enchiladas, Spanish rice, refried beans, chile con queso and guac.

Loved your photos.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 May 2009 10:43:25 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>Food Snob® wrote:
>> Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/
>>
>> I always slice the avocado across. That way, if it is the least bit
>> under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. The
>> avocado yesterday was perfect. I use the garlic press not only to
>> press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.
>>
>> My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
>> days.

>Your cat is nutz. lol My jalapeno plant is filled with jalapeno's,
>they are always so prolific. Avocados are on sale 4 for $1, so we are
>having guacamole tonight. My youngest son is visiting and he wants
>chicken enchiladas, Spanish rice, refried beans, chile con queso and guac.
>

>Loved your photos.
>

>Becca

That's funny as our black cat has also commandeered a mushroom that
fell on the floor a few days ago. He won't give it up, and hides under
the couch when we try to retrieve it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 10:03*am, suzireb > wrote:
> On May 1, 8:06*am, Food Snob® > wrote:
>
> > Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/

> > I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
> > under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
> > avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
> > press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.

> > My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
> > days.

> > --Bryan
> > * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> > * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

> Thanks so much for showing me a new way to cut avocado. *I did not
> grow up with it but use it weekly for dips and sides. *I combine it
> with cilantro and lime and some salsa. *Can't wait for the local
> tomatoes to come in.

I figured it out because if avocados are not fully ripe, they can
sometimes be stringy.
I only discovered avocados maybe five or six years ago. Now, I adore
them.

--Bryan
Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 6:06*am, Food Snob® > wrote:
> Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/
>
> I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
> under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
> avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
> press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.
>
> My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
> days.
>
> --Bryan
> * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

Here's my recipe.

Avacado
2-3 chopped green onions
1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
Kosher salt
Pepper
1 minced jalepano if in the mood
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1-2 tsps mayo

Mix, eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ¢ę Guacamole

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> I figured it out because if avocados are not fully ripe, they can
> sometimes be stringy.

I'm no expert, but it always seemed liked the overripe ones were the
stringy ones.

Yours looked perfect, and I think I'm inspired!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 12:34*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On May 1, 6:06*am, Food Snob® > wrote:
>
> > Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/

> > I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
> > under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
> > avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
> > press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.

> > My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
> > days.

> > --Bryan
> > * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> > * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

> Here's my recipe.
>
> Avacado
> 2-3 chopped green onions
> 1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
> A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
> Kosher salt
> Pepper
> 1 minced jalepano if in the mood
> 1/2 cup shredded cheese
> 1-2 tsps mayo
>
> Mix, eat.

One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
Disgusting.

--Bryan
Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>> Avacado
>> 2-3 chopped green onions
>> 1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
>> A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
>> Kosher salt
>> Pepper
>> 1 minced jalepano if in the mood
>> 1/2 cup shredded cheese
>> 1-2 tsps mayo
>>
>> Mix, eat.

> One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> Disgusting.

I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 1:23*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On May 1, 12:34*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>

> > On May 1, 6:06*am, Food Snob® > wrote:

> > > Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.

> > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/

> > > I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
> > > under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
> > > avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
> > > press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.

> > > My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
> > > days.

> > > --Bryan
> > > * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> > > * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

> > Here's my recipe.

> > Avacado
> > 2-3 chopped green onions
> > 1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
> > A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
> > Kosher salt
> > Pepper
> > 1 minced jalepano if in the mood
> > 1/2 cup shredded cheese
> > 1-2 tsps mayo

> > Mix, eat.

> One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> Disgusting.
>
> --Bryan
> * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo- Hide quoted text -

I think your email handle pretty much sums it up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 1:57*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> >> Avacado
> >> 2-3 chopped green onions
> >> 1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
> >> A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
> >> Kosher salt
> >> Pepper
> >> 1 minced jalepano if in the mood
> >> 1/2 cup shredded cheese
> >> 1-2 tsps mayo

> >> Mix, eat.

> > One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> > Disgusting.

> I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.
>
> Bob

She isn't nearly as opinionated and convinced her way is the only way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 3:57*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> >> Avacado
> >> 2-3 chopped green onions
> >> 1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
> >> A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
> >> Kosher salt
> >> Pepper
> >> 1 minced jalepano if in the mood
> >> 1/2 cup shredded cheese
> >> 1-2 tsps mayo

> >> Mix, eat.

> > One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> > Disgusting.

> I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.

Let's examine said "slop."

Unspecified amount of "Avacado"[sic]. If one assumes that it is
singular, then it's like, "Where's the beef?" but with avocado.
Next, "2-3 chopped green onions." Green onions in guac?
"1/2 cup [unspecified brand of] thick & chunky salsa. Salsa belongs
next to guac, not in it.
"A liberal dose of [vinegary] Trappy's [sic] Hot Sauce"
"1/2 cup [unspecified] shredded cheese" Sure, just mix a bunch of
shredded cheese in. It's just slop anyway. It ceased resembling guac
a long time ago.
"1-2 tsps [I assume he means jarred crap] mayo. Great, after
everything else he splooges in it. Not to worry on my part. He could
**** in it and not make it *much* worse.

Bob, you are a FOOL for picking *this* most awful and indefensible
recipe to use to insult me. It belongs in a trough. I'm just the
only one angry enough by having garbage served to me that I go on the
offensive. So, maybe I look like an asshole, but you look like a
fool.

> Bob

--Bryan
Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 6:12*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On May 1, 3:57*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:

> > > One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> > > Disgusting.

> > I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.

> Let's examine said "slop."
>
> Unspecified amount of "Avacado"[sic]. *If one assumes that it is
> singular, then it's like, "Where's the beef?" but with avocado.
> Next, "2-3 chopped green onions." *Green onions in guac?
> "1/2 cup [unspecified brand of] thick & chunky salsa. *Salsa belongs
> next to guac, not in it.
> "A liberal dose of [vinegary] Trappy's [sic] Hot Sauce"
> "1/2 cup [unspecified] shredded cheese" *Sure, just mix a bunch of
> shredded cheese in. *It's just slop anyway. *It ceased resembling guac
> a long time ago.
> "1-2 tsps [I assume he means jarred crap] mayo. *Great, after
> everything else he splooges in it. *Not to worry on my part. *He could
> **** in it and not make it *much* worse.
>
> Bob, you are a FOOL for picking *this* most awful and indefensible
> recipe to use to insult me. *It belongs in a trough. *I'm just the
> only one angry enough by having garbage served to me that I go on the
> offensive. *So, maybe I look like an asshole, but you look like a
> fool.
>

> > Bob

> --Bryan
> * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

Never try and argue with Bryan about anything to do with food or
music. I've known Bryan for...well, let's just say years and years,
and there's one thing I've learned: when it comes to food or music,
according to Bryan, there are exactly two possibilities, either
excellent or unacceptable. No middle ground, no discussion of variant
options.

But one thing I will say in defense of Bryan's culinary opinions and
works, I have never had any food prepared by Bryan that was the least
bit gross in any way, shape or form.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 1 May 2009 06:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob®
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/
>
>I always slice the avocado across. That way, if it is the least bit
>under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. The
>avocado yesterday was perfect. I use the garlic press not only to
>press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.

I like jalapeńos and I like guacamole. But I do not like my guacamole
with any heat or extra ingredients like tomatoes, sour cream or chunky
salsa, etc.

IOW I like a simple, classic recipe that produces a guacamole that can
be used as I understand it's intended - as a cooling accompaniment to
Mexican food that *is* meant to be picante ... in the same way
cucumber and yogurt Raita is meant to be a cooling accompaniment to
spicy Indian food.

In fact, I'll be making a bowl of guacamole for a family get-together
tomorrow - not as an accompaniment to Mexican food, but as a
pre-dinner dip. One, because I've got a surfeit of ripe avos and, two,
because the family loves it.

The recipe I'll be using is as simple as it is delicious:

4 large avos
2 - 3 good sized cloves of garlic (with the centre bit removed)
4 - 6 spring onions (that's green onions in the USA)
1 lemon (juiced)
salt to taste
and, if needed, a pinch or two of sugar

After removing the ripe avo flesh I munge it a bit with a large fork,
then add crushed garlic and finely sliced onion, munge some more,
then slowly add the lemon juice while munging further until I get
the consistency/texture I want (we don't like it too smooth, but just
a bit chunky).

PS - munging, or to munge, is another one of those curious Antipodean
terms and means something like break it up, crush and mix.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

suzireb > wrote in news:ad183c27-ad1b-4525-90ab-
:

> On May 1, 8:06*am, Food Snob® > wrote:
>> Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/

>> I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
>> under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
>> avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
>> press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.
>>
>> My crazy cat has been carrying around a jalapeno for the past two
>> days.
>>
>> --Bryan
>> * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
>> * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

> Thanks so much for showing me a new way to cut avocado. I did not
> grow up with it but use it weekly for dips and sides. I combine it
> with cilantro and lime and some salsa. Can't wait for the local
> tomatoes to come in.

Who the hell came up with the subject line for this thread? LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
bob > wrote:

> I like jalapeńos and I like guacamole. But I do not like my guacamole
> with any heat or extra ingredients like tomatoes, sour cream or chunky
> salsa, etc.

People seem to have some strong preferences about ingredients for
guacamole. I do also, but like it so well, that I can be pretty
flexible when there is a bowl of it actually in front of me.

:-)

> IOW I like a simple, classic recipe that produces a guacamole that can
> be used as I understand it's intended - as a cooling accompaniment to
> Mexican food that *is* meant to be picante ... in the same way
> cucumber and yogurt Raita is meant to be a cooling accompaniment to
> spicy Indian food.

> The recipe I'll be using is as simple as it is delicious:
>
> 4 large avos
> 2 - 3 good sized cloves of garlic (with the centre bit removed)
> 4 - 6 spring onions (that's green onions in the USA)
> 1 lemon (juiced)
> salt to taste
> and, if needed, a pinch or two of sugar

Good example. I'd do things a whole lot different, but, if that's what
you like, that's great.

> After removing the ripe avo flesh I munge it a bit with a large fork,
> then add crushed garlic and finely sliced onion, munge some more,
> then slowly add the lemon juice while munging further until I get
> the consistency/texture I want (we don't like it too smooth, but just
> a bit chunky).
>
> PS - munging, or to munge, is another one of those curious Antipodean
> terms and means something like break it up, crush and mix.

I think "mung" is a computer term, specifically, a Unix command.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 7:59*pm, bob > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 May 2009 06:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob®
> > shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
> >Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/

> >I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
> >under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
> >avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
> >press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.

> I like jalapeńos and I like guacamole. But I do not like my guacamole
> with any heat or extra ingredients like tomatoes, sour cream or chunky
> salsa, etc.

The amount of jalapeno I used added a negligible amount of heat,
mostly just flavor.

> IOW I like a simple, classic recipe that produces a guacamole that can
> be used as I understand it's intended - as a cooling accompaniment to
> Mexican food that *is* meant to be picante ... in the same way
> cucumber and yogurt Raita *is meant to be a cooling accompaniment to
> spicy Indian food.
>
> In fact, I'll be making a bowl of guacamole for a family get-together
> tomorrow - not as an accompaniment to Mexican food, but as a
> pre-dinner dip. One, because I've got a surfeit of ripe avos and, two,
> because the family loves it.
>
> The recipe I'll be using is as simple as it is delicious:
>
> 4 large avos
> 2 - 3 good sized cloves of garlic (with the centre bit removed)

You do that too?

> 4 - 6 spring onions (that's green onions in the USA)

See, I think that onion greens taste similarly to the garlic centers.

IMO, stuff like that, including cilantro should be on the side.

> 1 lemon (juiced)
> salt to taste
> and, if needed, a pinch or two of sugar
>
> After removing the ripe avo flesh I munge it a bit with a large fork,
> then add crushed garlic and finely sliced onion, munge some more,
> then slowly add the lemon juice while munging further until I get
> the consistency/texture I want (we don't like it too smooth, but just
> a bit chunky).
>
> PS - munging, or to munge, is another one of those curious Antipodean
> terms and means something like break it up, crush and mix.
>
> --
>
> una cerveza mas por favor ...

--Bryan
Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 4:59*pm, sf > wrote:
> On May 1, 1:57*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:

> > > One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> > > Disgusting.

> > I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.

> > Bob

> She isn't nearly as opinionated and convinced her way is the only way.

Can you defend the "slop"??

--Bryan
Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 4:46 pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On May 1, 1:23 pm, Food Snob® > wrote:

> > > Here's my recipe.

> > > Avacado
> > > 2-3 chopped green onions
> > > 1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
> > > A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
> > > Kosher salt
> > > Pepper
> > > 1 minced jalepano if in the mood
> > > 1/2 cup shredded cheese
> > > 1-2 tsps mayo

> > > Mix, eat.

> > One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> > Disgusting.

> > --Bryan
> > Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> > On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo-Hide quoted text -

> I think your email handle pretty much sums it up.

I don't doubt that given a choice between my personality and your dip
recipe, that a sizable portion of regulars would favor the latter.
Now, if they actually had to *eat* the concoction, I think there'd be
a few quiet defections.

--Bryan
Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
On the web @ http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 1 May 2009 19:04:06 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On May 1, 7:59*pm, bob > wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 May 2009 06:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob®
>> > shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>
>> >Yesterday's guac ended up looking very pretty.

>> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/

>> >I always slice the avocado across. *That way, if it is the least bit
>> >under ripe, the "strings" will be severed into short pieces. *The
>> >avocado yesterday was perfect. *I use the garlic press not only to
>> >press garlic, but a bit of jalapeno as well.

>> I like jalapeńos and I like guacamole. But I do not like my guacamole
>> with any heat or extra ingredients like tomatoes, sour cream or chunky
>> salsa, etc.

>The amount of jalapeno I used added a negligible amount of heat,
>mostly just flavor.

I might try it sometime. How do you use the jalapeńo and how much do
you use? I'm assuming that it's fresh and not cooked or pickled ...

>> IOW I like a simple, classic recipe that produces a guacamole that can
>> be used as I understand it's intended - as a cooling accompaniment to
>> Mexican food that *is* meant to be picante ... in the same way
>> cucumber and yogurt Raita *is meant to be a cooling accompaniment to
>> spicy Indian food.
>>
>> In fact, I'll be making a bowl of guacamole for a family get-together
>> tomorrow - not as an accompaniment to Mexican food, but as a
>> pre-dinner dip. One, because I've got a surfeit of ripe avos and, two,
>> because the family loves it.
>>
>> The recipe I'll be using is as simple as it is delicious:
>>
>> 4 large avos
>> 2 - 3 good sized cloves of garlic (with the centre bit removed)

>You do that too?

I ruined a couple of otherwise nice guacamoles before I figured out
that it was the garlic centres (incipient root) that was making the
whole thing taste so bitter that I had to turf it (eg: throw it away).
The bitter taste didn't come through until after I'd let the guacamole
sit and meld for a few hours. So it got through the first few taste
tests just fine.

Much to my embarrassment one of the times I ruined it, the bitter
taste didn't become obvious until I'd put it out at some friends'
place as part of a big lunch party. One of the guests, who loves
guacamole, scooped up a great wadge on a tortilla chip, screwed up her
face and said, "Yucky." That one went into our friends' garden
compost.

>> 4 - 6 spring onions (that's green onions in the USA)

>See, I think that onion greens taste similarly to the garlic centers.

Another term for spring/green onion is scallion but I don't use the
tops, just the mild, sweet white part. And I don't use them at all if
they're not sweet & mild. In that case I use a sweet mild red onion
very finely chopped. But if I can't find any onions that fit the bill,
I don't use any at all.

>IMO, stuff like that, including cilantro should be on the side.

As we say around here, when if comes to Mexican food you can never
have enough garlic, cilantro or beer.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 01 May 2009 19:02:26 -0700, Dan Abel > shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>People seem to have some strong preferences about ingredients for
>guacamole. I do also, but like it so well, that I can be pretty
>flexible when there is a bowl of it actually in front of me.
>
>:-)

Come to think of it I can't remember ever having turned down any
else's guacamole, regardless of what it had in it. Even the one to
which someone had added cottage cheese! Of course I had to sample it
several times before I decided that it was pretty good on those
tortilla chips.

I also have to admit to being one of those people who positions
themselves as close to the guacamole as possible. But that's only
because I have a healthy interest in food.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 11:04*pm, bob > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 May 2009 19:04:06 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> > shouted from the highest rooftop:
>

> >On May 1, 7:59*pm, bob > wrote:
> >> On Fri, 1 May 2009 06:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob®

> >> I like jalapeńos and I like guacamole. But I do not like my guacamole
> >> with any heat or extra ingredients like tomatoes, sour cream or chunky
> >> salsa, etc.

> >The amount of jalapeno I used added a negligible amount of heat,
> >mostly just flavor.

> I might try it sometime. How do you use the jalapeńo and how much do
> you use? I'm assuming that it's fresh and not cooked or pickled ...

For one medium sized avocado I used about1/2" from the tip of the
"fresh" chile, and removed the white vein first. I never use pickled
jalapeno in guac.

> >> IOW I like a simple, classic recipe that produces a guacamole that can
> >> be used as I understand it's intended - as a cooling accompaniment to
> >> Mexican food that *is* meant to be picante ... in the same way
> >> cucumber and yogurt Raita *is meant to be a cooling accompaniment to
> >> spicy Indian food.

> >> In fact, I'll be making a bowl of guacamole for a family get-together
> >> tomorrow - not as an accompaniment to Mexican food, but as a
> >> pre-dinner dip. One, because I've got a surfeit of ripe avos and, two,
> >> because the family loves it.

I'm awfully envious of folks from Cali or anywhere that avocados are
grown. A picked green avocado can never be as dependably wonderful as
one left on the tree to near ripe.

> >> The recipe I'll be using is as simple as it is delicious:

> >> 4 large avos
> >> 2 - 3 good sized cloves of garlic (with the centre bit removed)

> >You do that too?

> I ruined a couple of otherwise nice guacamoles before I figured out
> that it was the garlic centres (incipient root) that was making the
> whole thing taste so bitter that I had to turf it (eg: throw it away).
> The bitter taste didn't come through until after I'd let the guacamole
> sit and meld for a few hours. So it got through the first few taste
> tests just fine.

I do that with garlic every time, not just when I use it raw. I'm
rather persnickety about it. As a rule, I try to use few ingredients,
and the ones like garlic that benefit from melding are added to the
mix. Many ingredients are, IMO, best offered on the side. I do the
same with the "incipient root" of shallot and onion in everything I
prepare.

> Much to my embarrassment one of the times I ruined it, the bitter
> taste didn't become obvious until I'd put it out at some friends'
> place as part of a big lunch party. One of the guests, who loves
> guacamole, scooped up a great wadge on a tortilla chip, screwed up her
> face and said, "Yucky." That one went into our friends' garden
> compost.
>
> >> 4 - 6 spring onions (that's green onions in the USA)

> >See, I think that onion greens taste similarly to the garlic centers.

> Another term for spring/green onion is scallion but I don't use the
> tops, just the mild, sweet white part. And I don't use them at all if
> they're not sweet & mild. In that case I use a sweet mild *red onion
> very finely chopped. But if I can't find any onions that fit the bill,
> I don't use any at all.
>
> >IMO, stuff like that, including cilantro should be on the side.

> As we say around here, when if comes to Mexican food you can never
> have enough garlic, cilantro or beer.

I don't want *everything* infused with cilantro--or even garlic. I
also discard the stems from cilantro, using only the more delicately
flavored leaves. I offer those as a condiment on the side.

> --
>
> una cerveza mas por favor ...

Un burrito con asada, frijoles y aguacate. No cilantro, por favor.
Cerveza, Negra Modelo, por favor.

That's my restaurant Espanol. I don't know or require much else

--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> I think "mung" is a computer term, specifically, a Unix command.

Although it maybe doesn't predate the computer definition but might,
'mung' in my little corner of the world used to be bits, pieces, sweat,
fuzz and stink that collected between your toes.
ObFood: Don't use mung in recipes unless you're a witch.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 12:10*am, Leonard Blaisdell >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > I think "mung" is a computer term, specifically, a Unix command.

> Although it maybe doesn't predate the computer definition but might,
> 'mung' in my little corner of the world used to be bits, pieces, sweat,
> fuzz and stink that collected between your toes.
> ObFood: Don't use mung in recipes unless you're a witch.

There *are* Wiccans who read/post here
I suggest not using toejam at all, no matter what one's religion.

> leo

--Bryan, aka Bobo Bonobo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/3491381708/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 1 May 2009 21:34:27 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob®
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On May 1, 11:04*pm, bob > wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 May 2009 19:04:06 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>> > shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>

>> >On May 1, 7:59*pm, bob > wrote:

<snip>

>> I might try it sometime. How do you use the jalapeńo and how much do
>> you use? I'm assuming that it's fresh and not cooked or pickled ...
>>

>For one medium sized avocado I used about1/2" from the tip of the
>"fresh" chile, and removed the white vein first. I never use pickled
>jalapeno in guac.

Thanks. I usually remove the white veins too and although I'd never
use pickled jalapeńos in guacamole, I've known of those who do.

<snip>

>I'm awfully envious of folks from Cali or anywhere that avocados are
>grown. A picked green avocado can never be as dependably wonderful as
>one left on the tree to near ripe.

I used to grade wholesale avocados for our shops and other retail
outlets and restaurants. Part of the job was visiting the orchards and
sampling the fruit. It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever
had.

<snip>

>I do that with garlic every time, not just when I use it raw. I'm
>rather persnickety about it.

Yo tambien. I zap that little centre bit even if there's only a tiny
little hint of it showing.

>As a rule, I try to use few ingredients,
>and the ones like garlic that benefit from melding are added to the
>mix. Many ingredients are, IMO, best offered on the side. I do the
>same with the "incipient root" of shallot and onion in everything I
>prepare.

Yo tambien. There are some who accuse me of being anal retentive,
because I also remove the centres from tomatoes.

<snip>

>> As we say around here, when if comes to Mexican food you can never
>> have enough garlic, cilantro or beer.

>I don't want *everything* infused with cilantro--or even garlic. I
>also discard the stems from cilantro, using only the more delicately
>flavored leaves. I offer those as a condiment on the side.

If I'm making a fresh salsa (red or green chili pepper, garlic, onion,
red pepper, orange pepper, yellow pepper, celery, celery leaves,
cilantro, tomatoes, cucumber, salt, sugar, marinated in lemon juice)
Like you I use the cilantro leaves, but also part of the stem if it's
not bitter.
>> --
>>
>> una cerveza mas por favor ...
>>

>Un burrito con asada, frijoles y aguacate. No cilantro, por favor.
>Cerveza, Negra Modelo, por favor.

No arroz?

>That's my restaurant Espanol. I don't know or require much else

I don't have much use for Spanish in New Zealand, but I like to use it
from time to time so I don't lose it entirely.

>--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

Yeah right ... pretend again, Joe.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 01 May 2009 19:02:26 -0700, Dan Abel > shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>I think "mung" is a computer term, specifically, a Unix command.

"Munge" (not mung) is also a term used in computing to refer to the
obfuscation of an email address.

And mung is the name of a bean you can sprout and use in Asian
cooking.

But downunder ... foodwise ... "munge" can be used to describe
something like porridge (munge), mashed potatoes (munge) or the act of
mixing (munging) something up - like guacamole.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 4:12*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On May 1, 3:57*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:

> > > One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> > > Disgusting.

> > I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.

> Let's examine said "slop."
>
> Unspecified amount of "Avacado"[sic]. *If one assumes that it is
> singular, then it's like, "Where's the beef?" but with avocado.
> Next, "2-3 chopped green onions." *Green onions in guac?
> "1/2 cup [unspecified brand of] thick & chunky salsa. *Salsa belongs
> next to guac, not in it.
> "A liberal dose of [vinegary] Trappy's [sic] Hot Sauce"
> "1/2 cup [unspecified] shredded cheese" *Sure, just mix a bunch of
> shredded cheese in. *It's just slop anyway. *It ceased resembling guac
> a long time ago.
> "1-2 tsps [I assume he means jarred crap] mayo. *Great, after
> everything else he splooges in it. *Not to worry on my part. *He could
> **** in it and not make it *much* worse.
>
> Bob, you are a FOOL for picking *this* most awful and indefensible
> recipe to use to insult me. *It belongs in a trough. *I'm just the
> only one angry enough by having garbage served to me that I go on the
> offensive. *So, maybe I look like an asshole, but you look like a
> fool.
>

> > Bob

> --Bryan
> * * * * * *Visit Bobo Bonobo's Mortuary and Sausage Emporium
> * * * * * *On the web @ *http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo- Hide quoted text -

What a boring world we'd have if we all ate exactly the same thing.
"Slop" to you might be good to me. Your cooking might disgust me but
you don't find me belittling you. So what if I like my dip? What does
it really matter to you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 May 2009 13:57:21 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
>
>>> Avacado
>>> 2-3 chopped green onions
>>> 1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
>>> A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
>>> Kosher salt
>>> Pepper
>>> 1 minced jalepano if in the mood
>>> 1/2 cup shredded cheese
>>> 1-2 tsps mayo
>>>
>>> Mix, eat.

>> One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
>> Disgusting.

> I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.
>
> Bob

he looks almost as good in a dress, too.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 May 2009 14:59:24 -0700 (PDT), sf wrote:

> On May 1, 1:57*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:

>>> One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
>>> Disgusting.

>> I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.
>>
>> Bob

> She isn't nearly as opinionated and convinced her way is the only way.

really?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 May 2009 16:12:48 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On May 1, 3:57*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:

>>> One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
>>> Disgusting.

>> I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.

> Let's examine said "slop."
>
> Unspecified amount of "Avacado"[sic]. If one assumes that it is
> singular, then it's like, "Where's the beef?" but with avocado.
> Next, "2-3 chopped green onions." Green onions in guac?
> "1/2 cup [unspecified brand of] thick & chunky salsa. Salsa belongs
> next to guac, not in it.
> "A liberal dose of [vinegary] Trappy's [sic] Hot Sauce"
> "1/2 cup [unspecified] shredded cheese" Sure, just mix a bunch of
> shredded cheese in. It's just slop anyway. It ceased resembling guac
> a long time ago.
> "1-2 tsps [I assume he means jarred crap] mayo. Great, after
> everything else he splooges in it. Not to worry on my part. He could
> **** in it and not make it *much* worse.
>
> Bob, you are a FOOL for picking *this* most awful and indefensible
> recipe to use to insult me. It belongs in a trough. I'm just the
> only one angry enough by having garbage served to me that I go on the
> offensive.

well, now, it wasn't 'served' to you was it?

>So, maybe I look like an asshole, but you look like a
> fool.

decisions, decisions.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:
> Here's my recipe.
>
> Avacado
> 2-3 chopped green onions
> 1/2 cup thick & chunky salsa
> A liberal dose of Trappy's Hot Sauce
> Kosher salt
> Pepper
> 1 minced jalepano if in the mood
> 1/2 cup shredded cheese
> 1-2 tsps mayo
>
> Mix, eat.

Here is mine.

avocados
chopped onion
roma tomato, seeded and chopped
lime juice
minced garlic
salt

I will add fresh cilantro sometimes.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 3:15*pm, Becca > wrote:
> wrote:
> > That's funny as our black cat has also commandeered a mushroom that
> > fell on the floor a few days ago. He won't give it up, and hides under
> > the couch when we try to retrieve it.

> Your cat found a new toy. *Here are some cats who play with it, and eat
> it. *Foods like watermelon, cucumber, broccoli, waffles and durian, and
> you know how bad durian smells.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjhZygCvgBY
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybUBu4bG9Vc
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Y0vfFvHgM
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIFNEddeZI4
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V5xqj-ycYQ
>
> Becca

Cats are insane, everyone knows that!

:-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
>> Your cat found a new toy. Here are some cats who play with it, and eat
>> it. Foods like watermelon, cucumber, broccoli, waffles and durian, and
>> you know how bad durian smells.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjhZygCvgBY
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybUBu4bG9Vc
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Y0vfFvHgM
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIFNEddeZI4
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V5xqj-ycYQ
>>
>> Becca
>>

> Cats are insane, everyone knows that!
>
> :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Those cats are not normal. My favorite is the kitten eating broccoli.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 1:11*pm, blake murphy > wrote:

> >> One would have trouble finding the avocado in that slop.
> >> Disgusting.

> > I never noticed how much your posts resemble Jill's.

> > Bob

> he looks almost as good in a dress, too.

I've never worn a dress except that one time for Halloween in 4th
grade. I *did* used to wear a black leather miniskirt on stage. At
the time I had long hair and a beard that wasn't anywhere near as long
as ZZ Top or one of the Ayatollahs, but it was pretty long. I wore it
with 4" red pumps, that I danced quite well in. In that band I didn't
play guitar, just sang, so moving around was important. No question
it was a disturbing picture.

Here's a quote from alt.punk, Jan. 2000:
--------------------
" In Minimal State, I had a beard about half as long as zz top (it
wasn't a "greasy
little beard, it was huge, and I was always telling people that after
washed it, I tried to--as soon as I could--get my three favorite
things
back into it, those being food, beer, and vaginal secretions), wore a
black leather mini skirt and 4" red pumps, and assaulted the audience
by
spitting hunks of raw steak that I'd just torn off with my teeth,
hurling insults, whipping out my...on stage, leaping off the stage
and physically and sexually assaulting audience members, and singing
lyrics that were positively sick."

Heck, The Bonobos are quite tame by comparison.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1

Guacamole James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 23 28-02-2013 11:04 PM
Guacamole Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 13 18-12-2012 06:47 AM
Guacamole Janet Wilder[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 16-05-2008 03:41 AM
Guacamole Dip Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 05-07-2006 02:08 AM
Guacamole Charles Gifford Mexican Cooking 16 14-03-2005 04:14 PM