Old 30-04-2009, 01:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black spots on the potato skin

I always brush potatoes off with brush before cleaning. Today I
noticed a potato that was covered with black spots. The hits I got
with Google seem to be inside the potato. These are on the skin. Is
this mold or some kind of chemical?

Old 30-04-2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"metspitzer" wrote:

I always brush potatoes off with brush before cleaning. Today I
noticed a potato that was covered with black spots. The hits I got
with Google seem to be inside the potato. These are on the skin. Is
this mold or some kind of chemical?

I'm sure everyone has seen the same thing on occasion. Sounds like "black
scurf"... potatos are still good, peel and cook.

http://www.potatodiseases.org/tuberdiseases.html

Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 9:35*pm, "brooklyn1" wrote:
"metspitzer" wrote:

I always brush potatoes off with brush before cleaning. *Today I
noticed a potato that was covered with black spots. *The hits I got
with Google seem to be inside the potato. *These are on the skin. *Is
this mold or some kind of chemical?

I'm sure everyone has seen the same thing on occasion. *Sounds like "black
scurf"... potatos are still good, peel and cook.

http://www.potatodiseases.org/tuberdiseases.html

The spots I am taking about look nothing like the picture.

The spots I am talking about look almost like ink spots. They are on
the surface of the skin. I had to brush the potato down below the
skin to get them off.

The potatoes I have now are not like that.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"metspitzer" wrote:

I always brush potatoes off with brush before cleaning. Today I
noticed a potato that was covered with black spots. The hits I got
with Google seem to be inside the potato. These are on the skin. Is
this mold or some kind of chemical?

I'm sure everyone has seen the same thing on occasion. Sounds like "black
scurf"... potatos are still good, peel and cook.

http://www.potatodiseases.org/tuberdiseases.html

The spots I am taking about look nothing like the picture.

The spots I am talking about look almost like ink spots. They are on
the surface of the skin. I had to brush the potato down below the
skin to get them off.

Perhaps you need to learn how to scroll... down to the 4th example,

Old 07-05-2009, 06:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"metspitzer" wrote:

I always brush potatoes off with brush before cleaning. Today I
noticed a potato that was covered with black spots. The hits I got
with Google seem to be inside the potato. These are on the skin. Is
this mold or some kind of chemical?

I'm sure everyone has seen the same thing on occasion. Sounds like "black
scurf"... potatos are still good, peel and cook.

http://www.potatodiseases.org/tuberdiseases.html

The spots I am taking about look nothing like the picture.

The spots I am talking about look almost like ink spots. *They are on
the surface of the skin. *I had to brush the potato down below the
skin to get them off.

Perhaps you need to learn how to scroll... down to the 4th example,

Yep That is it.
The page loaded so choppy, I did not realize there were more
pictures. I scrolled to the bottom before all the pics loaded.

Thanks