Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default this group needs someone like me!

Nancy Young said...

> dsi1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> The second most import number system in use today? Binary.
>>> LSB first.

>> It could be that binary is the most important number system since it
>> makes computers possible. Humans can work with all types of numbering
>> systems - microprocessors cannot. Base 10 is mostly something we
>> choose arbitrarily.

> Well, it's such a nice round number!
>
> nancy

Not when it comes to 1/3rds!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 7:22*pm, Andy > wrote:
> dsi1 said...
>
> > Andy wrote:

> >> Trying to hear "Curry in a Hurry" by dsi1

> > I'd be more likely to write a tune called "Pork Butt." Funnier.

> >> Try the ukulele for awhile?

> > I got a nice koa uke, the fretboard sez "Ha Waii." Made in Vietnam. :-)

> dsi1,
>
> Cool!!!
>
> Wish I had one!
>
> I can picture Pennsylvania girls in Hula skirts!

My boss had a dashboard hula girl. After the bin-Laden thing he got
this woman to fashion a bourka for it. The idea that Taliban types
would find such a thing sexy was awfully funny.

> Andy

--Bryan http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > dsi1 > wrote:

> >> This is probably true in any base number system.

> > The second most import number system in use today? Binary.
> > LSB first.

> It could be that binary is the most important number system since it
> makes computers possible. Humans can work with all types of numbering
> systems - microprocessors cannot. Base 10 is mostly something we choose
> arbitrarily.

I can't remember ever seeing any software computer use for numbers,
whether binary, octal, decimal or hex, where the most significant digit
wasn't first.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> I can't remember ever seeing any software computer use for numbers,
> whether binary, octal, decimal or hex, where the most significant digit
> wasn't first.

Standard UART serial I/O sends the LSB first,
followed by the other bits in increasing significance.

As I recall, the PDP-8 front panel labelled the bits
1 to 12 from left to right for some crazy reason, but
it used standard 12-bit binary integers with the LSB
on the right (bit 12) and the msb on the left (bit 1).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food SnobŪ said...

> On May 3, 7:22*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> dsi1 said...

>> > I'd be more likely to write a tune called "Pork Butt." Funnier.

>> > I got a nice koa uke, the fretboard sez "Ha Waii." Made in Vietnam.

:-)

>> dsi1,
>>
>> Cool!!!
>>
>> Wish I had one!
>>
>> I can picture Pennsylvania girls in Hula skirts!

> My boss had a dashboard hula girl. After the bin-Laden thing he got
> this woman to fashion a bourka for it. The idea that Taliban types
> would find such a thing sexy was awfully funny.
>>
>> Andy

> --Bryan http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1

Bobo,

Heh heh heh heh heh!

No need for sunscreen! Or any promise of locomotion (AFAIK)? LOL!

Gimme Hula or gimme death!

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 1:09*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On 01 May 2009 19:28:22 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>
> > blake murphy >
> :i n rec.food.cooking

> >> i don't know much about sandra lee, but at least she seems to live on
> >> the same planet as most of us. *martha stewart, i'm not sure.

> > Martha Stewart appeals to the upper middle class. *I don't even know what
> > Sandra Lee's demographics are. Whatever planet Sandra Lee gets her
> > inspiration from is not the same planet I live on.

> > Michael

> i got no class.

Lyrics, since I know you love 'em:
Class

CHORUS
Here in America, we've got class
Don'tchya ever let 'em tell ya
that we don't got class
My dream, that every worker
feels a part of their class
Here in America, we've got class

Middle class again made the news
And they wantchya to think
That's me and you
But when I look around, I see just two
The ones who own
And the ones who do

(Chorus)

Happy darkie just lost his smile
He ain't gonna help
You with your guilt
You're gonna have to face the fact
That there's a rat
In the house Jack built

(Chorus)

Left off the SOTA album.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 8:13*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Food SnobŪ said...
>

> > On May 3, 7:22*pm, Andy > wrote:
> >> dsi1 said...

> :-)
>
> >> dsi1,

> >> Cool!!!

> >> Wish I had one!

> >> I can picture Pennsylvania girls in Hula skirts!

> > My boss had a dashboard hula girl. *After the bin-Laden thing he got
> > this woman to fashion a bourka for it. *The idea that Taliban types
> > would find such a thing sexy was awfully funny.

> >> Andy

> > --Bryan *http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1

> Bobo,
>
> Heh heh heh heh heh!
>
> No need for sunscreen! Or any promise of locomotion (AFAIK)? LOL!
>
> Gimme Hula or gimme death!

The 9-11 hijackers who went to Miami strip clubs would've changed that
"or" to an *and*.

> Best,
>
> Andy
> --

--Bryan http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food SnobŪ said...

> On May 3, 8:13*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Food SnobŪ said...

>> :-)

>> > My boss had a dashboard hula girl. *After the bin-Laden thing he got
>> > this woman to fashion a bourka for it. *The idea that Taliban types
>> > would find such a thing sexy was awfully funny.

>> > --Bryan *http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1

>> Bobo,
>>
>> Heh heh heh heh heh!
>>
>> No need for sunscreen! Or any promise of locomotion (AFAIK)? LOL!
>>
>> Gimme Hula or gimme death!

> The 9-11 hijackers who went to Miami strip clubs would've changed that
> "or" to an *and*.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy
>> --

> --Bryan http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1

THAT was in terribly stupid and poor taste!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 8:35*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Food SnobŪ said...
>

> > On May 3, 8:13*pm, Andy > wrote:
> >> Food SnobŪ said...

> >> :-)

> >> Bobo,

> >> Heh heh heh heh heh!

> >> No need for sunscreen! Or any promise of locomotion (AFAIK)? LOL!

> >> Gimme Hula or gimme death!

> > The 9-11 hijackers who went to Miami strip clubs would've changed that
> > "or" to an *and*.

> >> Best,

> >> Andy
> >> --

> > --Bryan *http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1

> THAT was in terribly stupid and poor taste!!!

Not stupid at all, but perhaps in bad taste. Those assholes enjoyed
the amenities of a more sexually liberated culture, then suicide
bombed to attack those very aspects of our culture. I wanted to see
the Taliban wholesalely exterminated the day I heard/read about them
blowing up those Buddahs. Exterminated. Genocide. I'll go on record
as having no problem with abusing Al Qaeda folks, as long as we're
SURE that they are exactly that, Al Qaeda. Torture isn't worth much
for intelligence gathering, but burying those fu(kers alive with the
kind of pig discards that I threw down yesterday raining down on them
in their pit graves is pretty nice in my book. Better yet, forcible
sex changes.

> Andy

--Bryan http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/?saved=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> The second most import number system in use today? Binary.
>>> LSB first.

>> It could be that binary is the most important number system since it
>> makes computers possible. Humans can work with all types of numbering
>> systems - microprocessors cannot. Base 10 is mostly something we
>> choose arbitrarily.

> Well, it's such a nice round number!
>
> nancy

I have to admit that I like it too. That's because we grew up with this
system. But let's be honest, do we really need all those digits? I'm
thinking a base 5 system would be more practical. All we'd need is 1 to
4 plus zero. This would allow a numeric key pad to fit on most laptops
and make small cell phones easier to dial. While we're at it lets cut
that alphabet down to 13 or so letters - it works fine for us Hawaiians. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> I can't remember ever seeing any software computer use for numbers,
> whether binary, octal, decimal or hex, where the most significant digit
> wasn't first.

My father-in-law was well-versed in these matters of low-level
programming. I'd ask him about this topic but he's dead. I'm not sure
what you guys mean by "first" anyway. My guess is that in a computer,
the weight of the data through the buss depends on if you're reading or
writing. Wouldn't that be the case since you're dealing with the serial
transmission of data?

I doubt that any of this matters as far as how we prefer to notate
dates. Mostly, it will vary depending on the region.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>

> > I can't remember ever seeing any software computer use for numbers,
> > whether binary, octal, decimal or hex, where the most significant digit
> > wasn't first.
> >

> My father-in-law was well-versed in these matters of low-level
> programming. I'd ask him about this topic but he's dead. I'm not sure
> what you guys mean by "first" anyway.

"First" is the digit on the left, since we read left to right.

> My guess is that in a computer,
> the weight of the data through the buss depends on if you're reading or
> writing. Wouldn't that be the case since you're dealing with the serial
> transmission of data?

I tend to think of computer buses as parallel rather than serial.
Reading and writing would most likely be the same, anyway.

> I doubt that any of this matters as far as how we prefer to notate
> dates. Mostly, it will vary depending on the region.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 May 2009 12:10:52 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> What you were talking
>> about would be the yyyy-mm-dd format i.e. 2009-04-30 which is what I
>> reckon is more 'logical'. <g>

> Anybody who was a computer programmer in 70's and early 80's will
> agree with this. That date format sorts naturally using any
> numerical sorting method without having to write any date conversion
> routines.
>
> It also follows the common base-10 logic used by everyone: Most
> significant number first.
>
> -sw

but writing date conversion routines keeps programmers off the streeets.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 May 2009 20:48:57 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> The second most import number system in use today? Binary.
>>> LSB first.

>> It could be that binary is the most important number system since it
>> makes computers possible. Humans can work with all types of numbering
>> systems - microprocessors cannot. Base 10 is mostly something we
>> choose arbitrarily.

> Well, it's such a nice round number!
>
> nancy

my understanding is that it arose from the normal complement of fingers and
thumbs:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal#Decimal_notation>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2009 15:58:18 GMT, blake murphy wrote:

> On 03 May 2009 12:57:14 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>
>> sf > :
>> in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> I guess I don't either. Although I probably spend more time doing
>>> real scratch cooking than most people here, I'm not against shortcut
>>> cooking and Sandra Lee doesn't gross me out the way she does certain
>>> people. IMO those tablescapes have got to go, but there are a lot of
>>> people who love that sort of stuff.

>> I have no qualms about short cut cooking but Sandra Lee is over the top and
>> her cooking disgusts me. At least Stewart cooks real food.
>>
>> Michael

> i'm sure her food is god, but some of the craft projects seem designed for
> someone on a crystal meth jag.
>
> your pal,
> blake

good damn it, 'god' should be 'good.'

ypb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> > dsi1 wrote:

> >> It could be that binary is the most important number system since it
> >> makes computers possible.

Computers would work just fine without binary. It's the people who work
with computers at a low level that would have a problem, since they
would be converting in their head all the time. They would soon get a
headache!

> >> Humans can work with all types of numbering
> >> systems - microprocessors cannot. Base 10 is mostly something we
> >> choose arbitrarily.

Computers are very good at working with all types of numbering systems,
mostly due to software that people have written. Computers work in
binary, people work in decimal. Whenever the computer gives an answer,
it converts it to decimal form so it will be familiar to us.

> my understanding is that it arose from the normal complement of fingers and
> thumbs:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal#Decimal_notation>

It makes no sense any other way. If we didn't have 10 digits on our
hands, there's no way we would use base 10. Base 8 or base 12 make much
more sense. Some people advocate base 60, which is how we do seconds
and minutes. Hours are base 12 or 24.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 03 May 2009 15:58:18 GMT, blake murphy wrote:

> > i'm sure her food is god, but some of the craft projects seem
> > designed for someone on a crystal meth jag.
> >
> > your pal,
> > blake

> good damn it, 'god' should be 'good.'

There's a show on Fine Living Network called "Whatever Martha". Her
daughter Alexis and a friend of hers watch segments from old shows and
snark on them. They also try to do some of the crafts, which is usually
disastrous. Hilarious.

Brian

--
Day 91 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" schrieb :
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> It also follows the common base-10 logic used by everyone: Most
>>> significant number first.

>> This is probably true in any base number system.

> The second most import number system in use today? Binary.
> LSB first.

Nope. LSB first for Intel-CPUs, HSB first for Motorola-CPUs.
Motorola also didn't need that Segment:Offset shit for adressing
memory.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

@sonic.net:

>> I'd worry more about the generation which followed us,
>> putting up their pictures and life stories and networks
>> of friends up on Facebook, etc. All that stuff is going
>> to live forever, and many will regret what they've made
>> public. Compared to that, RFC is small potatoes.

> Far worse than that is Twitter. You constantly post what you are doing

and
> where you are, and you have 'followers' (stalkers?) who follow your

every
> move.

It just goes to show how pathetic people have become that they a) post
that sort of shit, and b) actively follow someones elses shit.

6.45am Just got out of bed, scratched my balls and farted. It smelt like
the curry from last night. Mood : sleepy.

7.00am Taking a dump. It's definitely the curry from last night.
Mood : Feeling thinner.

7.15am Going to take a shower because I can't get all of last nights curry
off my ass. Mood : shitty.

8.00am Mmmmmmmmmm, soapy hands feel good in the shower. Mood : horny.

8.30am Running late for work *again*!! Why?? Because I spend too much of
my frikken time writing every damn thing I'm doing so that some poor
pathetic asshole out there can live their life vicariously through mine.
Mood : Screw you!!

> Juvenile, twisted, and sick - and that sadly seems normal to our
> children.

Hopefully the 'fad' will die out sooner rather than later.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Alt Group Intend to Take Over This Group Bakerman Baking 4 25-06-2008 03:50 AM
I Am New To This Group [email protected] General Cooking 35 02-12-2006 08:04 PM
TO THE GROUP......... Shiver General Cooking 4 23-09-2006 04:43 PM
New to the group Lew Bryson Beer 2 28-06-2005 06:55 PM
new to the group [email protected] Sourdough 0 21-06-2005 09:10 PM